Nancree

Default How do you pronounce "clafoutis" ?

That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be
"cla-foo-tee", but otherwise, just the way it looks??

Experts to the rescue, please.
John Gaughan

Nancree wrote:
> That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it
> would be "cla-foo-tee", but otherwise, just the way it looks??

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=clafoutis

The Intarweb has spoken...

Looks like you are correct.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

PENMART01

>(Nancree)
>
>That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be
>"cla-foo-tee", but otherwise, just the way it looks??

clafouti [kla-foo-TEE]
Originally from the Limousin region, this country-French dessert is made by
topping a layer of fresh fruit with batter. After baking it's served hot,
sometimes with cream. Some clafoutis have a cakelike topping while others are
more like a pudding. Though cherries are traditional, any fruit such as plums,
peaches or pears can be used.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Nexis

"Nancree" > wrote in message
> That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be
> "cla-foo-tee", but otherwise, just the way it looks??
>
> Experts to the rescue, please.

It's pronounced just like you wrote it above. Cla-foo-tee.

kimberly

Bob

John Gaughan wrote:

> Nancree wrote:
>=20
>> That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it
>> would be "cla-foo-tee", but otherwise, just the way it looks??

>=20
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=3Dclafoutis

I had to laugh when I read the orthographic notes.

cla=B7fou=B7ti or cla=B7fou=B7tis
A baked dessert composed of a layer of fresh fruit topped with a=20
thick batter.
[French clafoutis, from Old French : claufir, to attach with nails=20
(from Latin clv fgere : clv, ablative sing. of clvus, nail + fgere, to=20
fix) + foutis nominalized form of foutre, to stuff. See footle.]

This verb "foutre" is also a slang word that on the streets is the=20
equivalent of "****." Startled me when I lived in Brussels and heard=20
people talking about stuffing (from my school French) and I didn't get=20
it at first.

> The Intarweb has spoken...
>=20
> Looks like you are correct.

And, to make matters more complex, as noted above, it's also spelled=20
clafouti. In which case pronunciation is easier.

In the south of France, the pronunciation varied from place to place.=20
Near the Italian border, it was pronounced cla-foo-teess.

Pastorio

Nancree

Thank you so much !

Nancree
Nancree

Thank you, John

Nancre3

>Subject: How do you pronounce "clafoutis" ?

John Gaughan

Nancree wrote:
> Thank you, John

You're welcome. I wasn't sure how useful dictionary.com would be, it
isn't exactly the most accurate dictionary around. But it does agree
with what other people said.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

jmcquown

Nancree wrote:
> That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it
> would be "cla-foo-tee", but otherwise, just the way it looks??
>
> Experts to the rescue, please.

The same way the boorish husband aside Goldie Hawn's rich-bitch wife in
"Overboard!" pronounced the name of that chick he had on the yaght (after
she went overboard, of course). Cla-foo-tee!

Jill