Raymond

Default How Different Do The Two Taste?

Hi

How different are these two wines in terms of taste? A Penfolds pinot noir
2001 and a Romanee Conti pinot noir 1926.
Penfolds = $35.00 a bottle. Romanee Conti = $17,000 a bottle. Does the
Romanee Conti taste $16965 better? Perhaps the Penfolds tastes better.
http://www.finestwine.com/english/pr...asp?part=87834

Joe Giorgianni

"Raymond" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> How different are these two wines in terms of taste? A Penfolds pinot noir
> 2001 and a Romanee Conti pinot noir 1926.
> Penfolds = $35.00 a bottle. Romanee Conti = $17,000 a bottle. Does the
> Romanee Conti taste $16965 better? Perhaps the Penfolds tastes better.
> http://www.finestwine.com/english/pr...asp?part=87834

I'm a big fan of Moet & Chandon White Star, around $30 a bottle. I also love
Dom Perignon, around $125 a bottle. The Dom's better, but not four times
better.

--
Joe Giorgianni
TheWho.org

"This guitar has seconds to live" Posters

Luk

"Joe Giorgianni" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Raymond" > wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> How different are these two wines in terms of taste? A Penfolds pinot
>> noir
>> 2001 and a Romanee Conti pinot noir 1926.
>> Penfolds = $35.00 a bottle. Romanee Conti = $17,000 a bottle. Does the
>> Romanee Conti taste $16965 better? Perhaps the Penfolds tastes better.
>> http://www.finestwine.com/english/pr...asp?part=87834

> I'm a big fan of Moet & Chandon White Star, around $30 a bottle. I also
> love Dom Perignon, around $125 a bottle. The Dom's better, but not four
> times better.

Do you know the Pareto law ?

Luk

DaleW

Having tasted neither, I'd still hazard a guess that they taste very
different indeed. On the one hand, a bottle of what is maybe the most
fabled bottling of red wine in the world, from an excellent year (1929,
not 1926) about 70 years after release. On the other hand, a New World
(warm climate? not sure - I've never had a Penfolds PN, unsure where in
Oz it's grown) Pinot 4 years after vintage. I'm sure the differences
outweight the similarities.

I'm sure the Penfolds DOES taste better to many tasters.

Price in rare collectibles will NEVER have a linear relation to quality
(or more accurately, perceived quality). There are generally
diminishing returns as one spends more and more money on wine (or
virtually any other product). The "best" $20 wine is probably not twice
as good (whatver that means) as the best $10. Luk's point of the
relationship to Pareto's law (something like 80% of resources are spent
on top 20% of consumption) is very valid.

But if someone else pays, I'd REALLY like to taste the DRC Romanee
Conti.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Raymond,

le/on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:33:22 +0800, tu disais/you said:-

>Hi
>
>How different are these two wines in terms of taste? A Penfolds pinot noir
>2001 and a Romanee Conti pinot noir 1926.

How different are these two cars in terms of performance, a 1926 Austin 7
and a Lamborghini 2001?

>Penfolds = $35.00 a bottle. Romanee Conti = $17,000 a bottle. Does the
>Romanee Conti taste $16965 better? Perhaps the Penfolds tastes better.

If you need to ask, you don't need to ask.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Hunt

In article .com>,
says...

>Having tasted neither, I'd still hazard a guess that they taste very
>different indeed. On the one hand, a bottle of what is maybe the most
>fabled bottling of red wine in the world, from an excellent year (1929,
>not 1926) about 70 years after release. On the other hand, a New World
>(warm climate? not sure - I've never had a Penfolds PN, unsure where in
>Oz it's grown) Pinot 4 years after vintage. I'm sure the differences
>outweight the similarities.
>
>I'm sure the Penfolds DOES taste better to many tasters.
>
>Price in rare collectibles will NEVER have a linear relation to quality
>(or more accurately, perceived quality). There are generally
>diminishing returns as one spends more and more money on wine (or
>virtually any other product). The "best" $20 wine is probably not twice
>as good (whatver that means) as the best $10. Luk's point of the
>relationship to Pareto's law (something like 80% of resources are spent
>on top 20% of consumption) is very valid.
>
>But if someone else pays, I'd REALLY like to taste the DRC Romanee
>Conti.

I agree completely. In cases such as this, it is less the taste of the wine,
as it is the experience of having something that nearly all of the people who
have ever lived, or will live, on this planet will ever taste. It's like
having an F-40 Ferrari in London - a SmartCar will get you around, and is far
easier to park, AND you can't really unwind the F-40, but some have them.

Hunt

BTW when you crack that DRC, I'd love to be on the guest list! Also, I'm not
at all familiar with any Penfolds PN.

Andrew Goldfinch

"DaleW" wrote in message

> Having tasted neither, I'd still hazard a guess that they taste very
> different indeed. On the one hand, a bottle of what is maybe the most
> fabled bottling of red wine in the world, from an excellent year (1929,
> not 1926) about 70 years after release. On the other hand, a New World
> (warm climate? not sure - I've never had a Penfolds PN, unsure where in
> Oz it's grown) Pinot 4 years after vintage. I'm sure the differences
> outweight the similarities.

The Penfolds (if it is the Cellar Reserve, which is the only Penfolds
branded PN I know of) is from Adelaide Hills fruit. The Hills area is
classic cool climate. Some of OZ's best Chardonnay & PN come out of these
hills. Yattarna (Penfolds white Grange) is made mostly from Piccadilly
Valley & Adelaide Hills grapes. There is usually some fruit from Tumbarumba
in the Snowy Mountains (yes very high altitude vineyard with 60 year old
vines) tossed in as well. Piccadilly Valley is almost a subset of the Hills
BTW.

> But if someone else pays, I'd REALLY like to taste the DRC Romanee
> Conti.

Pour a glass (or 2) for me too please

Andrew Goldfinch

"Ian Hoare" wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Raymond,
> le/on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:33:22 +0800, tu disais/you said:-
>>Hi
>>How different are these two wines in terms of taste? A Penfolds pinot noir
>>2001 and a Romanee Conti pinot noir 1926.

> How different are these two cars in terms of performance, a 1926 Austin 7
> and a Lamborghini 2001?

Have you driven both these cars Ian?

>>Penfolds = $35.00 a bottle. Romanee Conti = $17,000 a bottle. Does the
>>Romanee Conti taste $16965 better? Perhaps the Penfolds tastes better.

> If you need to ask, you don't need to ask.

Tasted both these wines?

Remember Ian prejudice is something to be avoided in ALL its forms.

Richard Neidich

Andrew, the good news is no one makes a person buy the more expensive ones.

So if you enjoy the Austin and the Penfolds....thats GREAT!

"Andrew Goldfinch" > wrote in message

> "Ian Hoare" wrote in message
>> Salut/Hi Raymond,
>> le/on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:33:22 +0800, tu disais/you said:-
>>>Hi
>>>How different are these two wines in terms of taste? A Penfolds pinot
>>>noir
>>>2001 and a Romanee Conti pinot noir 1926.

>> How different are these two cars in terms of performance, a 1926 Austin 7
>> and a Lamborghini 2001?

> Have you driven both these cars Ian?
>

>>>Penfolds = $35.00 a bottle. Romanee Conti = $17,000 a bottle. Does the
>>>Romanee Conti taste $16965 better? Perhaps the Penfolds tastes better.

>> If you need to ask, you don't need to ask.

> Tasted both these wines?
>
> Remember Ian prejudice is something to be avoided in ALL its forms.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Andrew Goldfinch,

le/on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:28:55 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>"Ian Hoare" wrote in message
>> Salut/Hi Raymond,
>> le/on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:33:22 +0800, tu disais/you said:-
>>>Hi
>>>How different are these two wines in terms of taste? A Penfolds pinot noir
>>>2001 and a Romanee Conti pinot noir 1926.

>> How different are these two cars in terms of performance, a 1926 Austin 7
>> and a Lamborghini 2001?

>Have you driven both these cars Ian?

A '32 Austin 10 and a TVR Griffith, would they do ;-)))

>>>Penfolds = $35.00 a bottle. Romanee Conti = $17,000 a bottle. Does the
>>>Romanee Conti taste $16965 better? Perhaps the Penfolds tastes better.

>Tasted both these wines?

Nope, but I've tasted a good range at Penfolds and know Penfolds wines
reasonably well. I have also tasted Romanee-Conti in several vintages.

For what it's worth, I don't think any R-C justifies its price. However, a
La Tache or a DRC Richebourg most certainly does in my opinion. As for the
vfm of a collector's item, my point is that it's not open to debate. Either
you ARE a collector and in which case YOUR perception is yours and no one
else's, or you ain't and the question is meaningless in that you have
answered it in asking it.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

We have a 6th taste? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 26 30-01-2014 07:11 PM
After taste Roy boy Winemaking 0 18-08-2005 06:44 PM
How Do We Taste? Raymond Wine 14 13-07-2005 07:16 PM
Age and taste crymad Tea 6 31-01-2005 12:30 PM
Taste like Uni James Sushi 19 01-02-2004 05:43 PM