Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default We have a 6th taste?

I am reading the book, "Suffering Succotash" which is a book that delves
into picky eaters and why they might be picky. The book says that we used
to think we could taste only taste four things. Sweet, sour, salty and
bitter. More recently they discovered umami, aka savory. But now?
Scientists say some of us can taste minerals!

They said that some people find skim milk to be distasteful because it
allows them to taste the calcium in it. I can remember when they added
calcium to Tab. My friends and I (all Tab drinkers) hated the addition and
we immediately wrote to the Coca Cola company telling them that we no longer
liked it. It wasn't in there for long! They quickly took it out.

I also remember the water that we had in Wichita. It was very hard water.
I could taste the minerals in it and every time we went on vacation to some
place that had different water, I would dislike that water. My mom said it
was because of the lack of minerals in it. And when I buy mineral water
(which isn't often), I don't dislike some of it (but don't really like it
either) but dislike some because it seems really salty.

So... Can you taste minerals?

The book also says that 25% of us are super tasters, 25% are under tasters
and the rest are average. The author of the book seems very much like me so
far. She considers herself to be a super taster and yet... Super tasters
are categorized as people who dislike the bitter taste. And that's not her
or me. Broccoli doesn't taste bitter to me at all. Just very bad once it
is cooked. Does not taste bad raw. But... Part of the appeal of Tab to me
was the bitter aftertaste. I liked it! It doesn't have that now that they
changed the sweetener. I also like gin and tonic which is bitter. But I
don't like most beer. They classify beer as bitter. So we like some bitter
things and not others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/28/2014 12:30 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am reading the book, "Suffering Succotash" which is a book that delves
> into picky eaters and why they might be picky. The book says that we
> used to think we could taste only taste four things. Sweet, sour, salty
> and bitter. More recently they discovered umami, aka savory. But now?
> Scientists say some of us can taste minerals!
>
> They said that some people find skim milk to be distasteful because it
> allows them to taste the calcium in it. I can remember when they added
> calcium to Tab. My friends and I (all Tab drinkers) hated the addition
> and we immediately wrote to the Coca Cola company telling them that we
> no longer liked it. It wasn't in there for long! They quickly took it
> out.
>
> I also remember the water that we had in Wichita. It was very hard
> water. I could taste the minerals in it and every time we went on
> vacation to some place that had different water, I would dislike that
> water. My mom said it was because of the lack of minerals in it. And
> when I buy mineral water (which isn't often), I don't dislike some of it
> (but don't really like it either) but dislike some because it seems
> really salty.
>
> So... Can you taste minerals?
>
> The book also says that 25% of us are super tasters, 25% are under
> tasters and the rest are average. The author of the book seems very
> much like me so far. She considers herself to be a super taster and
> yet... Super tasters are categorized as people who dislike the bitter
> taste. And that's not her or me. Broccoli doesn't taste bitter to me
> at all. Just very bad once it is cooked. Does not taste bad raw.
> But... Part of the appeal of Tab to me was the bitter aftertaste. I
> liked it! It doesn't have that now that they changed the sweetener. I
> also like gin and tonic which is bitter. But I don't like most beer.
> They classify beer as bitter. So we like some bitter things and not
> others.

I seem to recall reading that we can actually *taste* fat but I've never
heard that of minerals. I like most beers but I usually dislike cooked
broccoli. The stems are just possibly OK but not the florets.

I wonder if you can buy tasting kits like those to learn wine tasting?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I am reading the book, "Suffering Succotash" which is a book that
> delves into picky eaters and why they might be picky.

-snip-

I don't know if I'm a "super" taster but my mother said I was a picky
eater, and so does my wife, so I guess you've offered one possible
explanation. One of our two boys is, too.

I'll have to tell my wife that my and our youngest son's taste buds are
superior.

And one more potentially interesting thing to study - at least based on
my experience, picky eaters tend to have less problems with overeating
and gaining weight. Certainly my youngest and I both suppor that
hypothesis, and it also applies to one of my sister's three kids - the
middle one is a picky eater and on the thin side.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Freides > wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am reading the book, "Suffering Succotash" which is a book that
>> delves into picky eaters and why they might be picky.

>-snip-
>
>I don't know if I'm a "super" taster but my mother said I was a picky
>eater, and so does my wife, so I guess you've offered one possible
>explanation. One of our two boys is, too.
>
>I'll have to tell my wife that my and our youngest son's taste buds are
>superior.
>
>And one more potentially interesting thing to study - at least based on
>my experience, picky eaters tend to have less problems with overeating
>and gaining weight. Certainly my youngest and I both suppor that
>hypothesis, and it also applies to one of my sister's three kids - the
>middle one is a picky eater and on the thin side.

I was a picky eater when I was a child. When the family had something
I didn't like, they fed me macaroni with margarine on it. I was a
fat child.

I'm much less picky now, and I'm a fat adult.

Good thing you said "tend to have less problems".

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/27/2014 7:30 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am reading the book, "Suffering Succotash" which is a book that delves
> into picky eaters and why they might be picky. The book says that we
> used to think we could taste only taste four things. Sweet, sour, salty
> and bitter. More recently they discovered umami, aka savory. But now?
> Scientists say some of us can taste minerals!
>
> They said that some people find skim milk to be distasteful because it
> allows them to taste the calcium in it. I can remember when they added
> calcium to Tab. My friends and I (all Tab drinkers) hated the addition
> and we immediately wrote to the Coca Cola company telling them that we
> no longer liked it. It wasn't in there for long! They quickly took it
> out.
>
> I also remember the water that we had in Wichita. It was very hard
> water. I could taste the minerals in it and every time we went on
> vacation to some place that had different water, I would dislike that
> water. My mom said it was because of the lack of minerals in it. And
> when I buy mineral water (which isn't often), I don't dislike some of it
> (but don't really like it either) but dislike some because it seems
> really salty.
>
> So... Can you taste minerals?
>
> The book also says that 25% of us are super tasters, 25% are under
> tasters and the rest are average. The author of the book seems very
> much like me so far. She considers herself to be a super taster and
> yet... Super tasters are categorized as people who dislike the bitter
> taste. And that's not her or me. Broccoli doesn't taste bitter to me
> at all. Just very bad once it is cooked. Does not taste bad raw.
> But... Part of the appeal of Tab to me was the bitter aftertaste. I
> liked it! It doesn't have that now that they changed the sweetener. I
> also like gin and tonic which is bitter. But I don't like most beer.
> They classify beer as bitter. So we like some bitter things and not
> others.

My understanding is that supertasters tend to prefer their foods salter
than most other folks. That could be a reliable indicator.

Bitterness is a unappreciated flavor in most cases, however, a slight
amount of mustard in a lot of savory foods works like magic. You have to
keep it below perception level though. Too much and you done gone and
screwed the pooch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 1/28/2014 12:30 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am reading the book, "Suffering Succotash" which is a book that delves
>> into picky eaters and why they might be picky. The book says that we
>> used to think we could taste only taste four things. Sweet, sour, salty
>> and bitter. More recently they discovered umami, aka savory. But now?
>> Scientists say some of us can taste minerals!
>>
>> They said that some people find skim milk to be distasteful because it
>> allows them to taste the calcium in it. I can remember when they added
>> calcium to Tab. My friends and I (all Tab drinkers) hated the addition
>> and we immediately wrote to the Coca Cola company telling them that we
>> no longer liked it. It wasn't in there for long! They quickly took it
>> out.
>>
>> I also remember the water that we had in Wichita. It was very hard
>> water. I could taste the minerals in it and every time we went on
>> vacation to some place that had different water, I would dislike that
>> water. My mom said it was because of the lack of minerals in it. And
>> when I buy mineral water (which isn't often), I don't dislike some of it
>> (but don't really like it either) but dislike some because it seems
>> really salty.
>>
>> So... Can you taste minerals?
>>
>> The book also says that 25% of us are super tasters, 25% are under
>> tasters and the rest are average. The author of the book seems very
>> much like me so far. She considers herself to be a super taster and
>> yet... Super tasters are categorized as people who dislike the bitter
>> taste. And that's not her or me. Broccoli doesn't taste bitter to me
>> at all. Just very bad once it is cooked. Does not taste bad raw.
>> But... Part of the appeal of Tab to me was the bitter aftertaste. I
>> liked it! It doesn't have that now that they changed the sweetener. I
>> also like gin and tonic which is bitter. But I don't like most beer.
>> They classify beer as bitter. So we like some bitter things and not
>> others.
>>

> I seem to recall reading that we can actually *taste* fat but I've never
> heard that of minerals. I like most beers but I usually dislike cooked
> broccoli. The stems are just possibly OK but not the florets.
>
> I wonder if you can buy tasting kits like those to learn wine tasting?

I don't know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 1/27/2014 7:30 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am reading the book, "Suffering Succotash" which is a book that delves
>> into picky eaters and why they might be picky. The book says that we
>> used to think we could taste only taste four things. Sweet, sour, salty
>> and bitter. More recently they discovered umami, aka savory. But now?
>> Scientists say some of us can taste minerals!
>>
>> They said that some people find skim milk to be distasteful because it
>> allows them to taste the calcium in it. I can remember when they added
>> calcium to Tab. My friends and I (all Tab drinkers) hated the addition
>> and we immediately wrote to the Coca Cola company telling them that we
>> no longer liked it. It wasn't in there for long! They quickly took it
>> out.
>>
>> I also remember the water that we had in Wichita. It was very hard
>> water. I could taste the minerals in it and every time we went on
>> vacation to some place that had different water, I would dislike that
>> water. My mom said it was because of the lack of minerals in it. And
>> when I buy mineral water (which isn't often), I don't dislike some of it
>> (but don't really like it either) but dislike some because it seems
>> really salty.
>>
>> So... Can you taste minerals?
>>
>> The book also says that 25% of us are super tasters, 25% are under
>> tasters and the rest are average. The author of the book seems very
>> much like me so far. She considers herself to be a super taster and
>> yet... Super tasters are categorized as people who dislike the bitter
>> taste. And that's not her or me. Broccoli doesn't taste bitter to me
>> at all. Just very bad once it is cooked. Does not taste bad raw.
>> But... Part of the appeal of Tab to me was the bitter aftertaste. I
>> liked it! It doesn't have that now that they changed the sweetener. I
>> also like gin and tonic which is bitter. But I don't like most beer.
>> They classify beer as bitter. So we like some bitter things and not
>> others.
>>

> My understanding is that supertasters tend to prefer their foods salter
> than most other folks. That could be a reliable indicator.
>
> Bitterness is a unappreciated flavor in most cases, however, a slight
> amount of mustard in a lot of savory foods works like magic. You have to
> keep it below perception level though. Too much and you done gone and
> screwed the pooch.

For sure I don't like saltier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:14:43 AM UTC-6, Steve Freides wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > I am reading the book, "Suffering Succotash" which is a book that

> > delves into picky eaters and why they might be picky.

> -snip-
>

> I don't know if I'm a "super" taster but my mother said I was a picky
>
> eater, and so does my wife, so I guess you've offered one possible
>
> explanation. One of our two boys is, too.

I'm not a super *taster*, but a super smeller.

> -S-

--Fryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:46:19 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> Bitterness is a unappreciated flavor in most cases, however, a slight
>
> amount of mustard in a lot of savory foods works like magic. You have to
>
> keep it below perception level though.

I'd bet more than even odds that the PVC had this condition. It would explain
all the men she's left with chunks on their lower abdomens, and her frequent
insistence that they use the glory hole as protection.

> Too much and you done gone and screwed the pooch.

If her *lovers* only knew that it wasn't her mouth on the other side of
that wall, but the backside of her family dog...

She must own a heckuva muzzle, or insist on blaring Yoko Ono during the act,
or more likely both.

--Fryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:14:43 AM UTC-6, Steve Freides wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > I am reading the book, "Suffering Succotash" which is a book that

>> > delves into picky eaters and why they might be picky.

>> -snip-
>>

>> I don't know if I'm a "super" taster but my mother said I was a picky
>>
>> eater, and so does my wife, so I guess you've offered one possible
>>
>> explanation. One of our two boys is, too.
>>

> I'm not a super *taster*, but a super smeller.

I am that too. I can smell things that other people can't. Daughter is the
same way. She can smell water. I can't. But I can smell rain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/28/2014 11:30 AM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:46:19 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
>>

>> Bitterness is a unappreciated flavor in most cases, however, a slight
>>
>> amount of mustard in a lot of savory foods works like magic. You have to
>>
>> keep it below perception level though.

> I'd bet more than even odds that the PVC had this condition. It would explain
> all the men she's left with chunks on their lower abdomens, and her frequent
> insistence that they use the glory hole as protection.
>>
>> Too much and you done gone and screwed the pooch.
>>

> If her *lovers* only knew that it wasn't her mouth on the other side of
> that wall, but the backside of her family dog...
>
> She must own a heckuva muzzle, or insist on blaring Yoko Ono during the act,
> or more likely both.
>
> --Fryan

You naughty boy! BTW, chalk me up for your book when you're published. (-:
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:13:20 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:14:43 AM UTC-6, Steve Freides wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > I am reading the book, "Suffering Succotash" which is a book that

>> > delves into picky eaters and why they might be picky.

>> -snip-
>>

>> I don't know if I'm a "super" taster but my mother said I was a picky
>>
>> eater, and so does my wife, so I guess you've offered one possible
>>
>> explanation. One of our two boys is, too.
>>

>I'm not a super *taster*, but a super smeller.

You arer showing your ignorance, Bryan. Most of what we humans think
we perceive as tasrte is actually smell. I demonstrated this to my son
by having him hold his nose and chew up a small piece of raw onion,
which he did and reported to me that without it's odors, it tasted
sweet. Then he released his nose and spat it out and declared YUCK!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:30:20 PM UTC-6, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:46:19 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > Bitterness is a unappreciated flavor in most cases, however, a slight

> > amount of mustard in a lot of savory foods works like magic. You have to

> > keep it below perception level though.

> I'd bet more than even odds that the PVC had this condition. It would explain
>
> all the men she's left with chunks on their lower abdomens, and her frequent
>
> insistence that they use the glory hole as protection.
>

> > Too much and you done gone and screwed the pooch.

> If her *lovers* only knew that it wasn't her mouth on the other side of
>
> that wall, but the backside of her family dog...
>

> She must own a heckuva muzzle, or insist on blaring Yoko Ono during the act,
>
> or more likely both.

Why are you sitting around fantasizing about my sex life? You're a ****ing weirdo. Does your poor wife know you do this kind of crap on the internet?

LOL

Get over yourself, wannabe faggot boi.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 27, 2014 11:30:42 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am reading the book, "Suffering Succotash" which is a book that delves
>
> into picky eaters and why they might be picky. The book says that we used
>
> to think we could taste only taste four things. Sweet, sour, salty and
>
> bitter. More recently they discovered umami, aka savory. But now?
>
> Scientists say some of us can taste minerals!
>

> They said that some people find skim milk to be distasteful because it
>
> allows them to taste the calcium in it. I can remember when they added
>
> calcium to Tab. My friends and I (all Tab drinkers) hated the addition and
>
> we immediately wrote to the Coca Cola company telling them that we no longer
>
> liked it. It wasn't in there for long! They quickly took it out.
>

> I also remember the water that we had in Wichita. It was very hard water.
>
> I could taste the minerals in it and every time we went on vacation to some
>
> place that had different water, I would dislike that water. My mom said it
>
> was because of the lack of minerals in it. And when I buy mineral water
>
> (which isn't often), I don't dislike some of it (but don't really like it
>
> either) but dislike some because it seems really salty.
>

> So... Can you taste minerals?
>

> The book also says that 25% of us are super tasters, 25% are under tasters
>
> and the rest are average. The author of the book seems very much like me so
>
> far. She considers herself to be a super taster and yet... Super tasters
>
> are categorized as people who dislike the bitter taste. And that's not her
>
> or me. Broccoli doesn't taste bitter to me at all. Just very bad once it
>
> is cooked. Does not taste bad raw. But... Part of the appeal of Tab to me
>
> was the bitter aftertaste. I liked it! It doesn't have that now that they
>
> changed the sweetener. I also like gin and tonic which is bitter. But I
>
> don't like most beer. They classify beer as bitter. So we like some bitter
>
> things and not others.

Interesting. I'm probably an average taster. BTW where do you find Tab at? I haven't seen it in years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Monday, January 27, 2014 11:30:42 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am reading the book, "Suffering Succotash" which is a book that delves
>>
>> into picky eaters and why they might be picky. The book says that we
>> used
>>
>> to think we could taste only taste four things. Sweet, sour, salty and
>>
>> bitter. More recently they discovered umami, aka savory. But now?
>>
>> Scientists say some of us can taste minerals!
>>

>> They said that some people find skim milk to be distasteful because it
>>
>> allows them to taste the calcium in it. I can remember when they added
>>
>> calcium to Tab. My friends and I (all Tab drinkers) hated the addition
>> and
>>
>> we immediately wrote to the Coca Cola company telling them that we no
>> longer
>>
>> liked it. It wasn't in there for long! They quickly took it out.
>>

>> I also remember the water that we had in Wichita. It was very hard
>> water.
>>
>> I could taste the minerals in it and every time we went on vacation to
>> some
>>
>> place that had different water, I would dislike that water. My mom said
>> it
>>
>> was because of the lack of minerals in it. And when I buy mineral water
>>
>> (which isn't often), I don't dislike some of it (but don't really like it
>>
>> either) but dislike some because it seems really salty.
>>

>> So... Can you taste minerals?
>>

>> The book also says that 25% of us are super tasters, 25% are under
>> tasters
>>
>> and the rest are average. The author of the book seems very much like me
>> so
>>
>> far. She considers herself to be a super taster and yet... Super
>> tasters
>>
>> are categorized as people who dislike the bitter taste. And that's not
>> her
>>
>> or me. Broccoli doesn't taste bitter to me at all. Just very bad once
>> it
>>
>> is cooked. Does not taste bad raw. But... Part of the appeal of Tab to
>> me
>>
>> was the bitter aftertaste. I liked it! It doesn't have that now that
>> they
>>
>> changed the sweetener. I also like gin and tonic which is bitter. But I
>>
>> don't like most beer. They classify beer as bitter. So we like some
>> bitter
>>
>> things and not others.

> Interesting. I'm probably an average taster. BTW where do you find Tab
> at? I haven't seen it in years.

It's still available pretty much everywhere, I think. And also in an super
caffeinated version. But the taste is not the same. Taste like Diet Coke
to me so I just buy that. I haven't actually looked for it in many years.
Was sooo looking forward to it after I had the baby and then they went and
changed the formula.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:46:13 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
> >

> > Interesting. I'm probably an average taster. BTW where do you find Tab

> > at? I haven't seen it in years.

I figure that the reason some folks don't put their mugshot on
Cathy's page is butt ugliness. Tab won't help you much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtA8IY4VUrc

> It's still available pretty much everywhere, I think. And also in an super
>
> caffeinated version. But the taste is not the same. Taste like Diet Coke
>
> to me so I just buy that. I haven't actually looked for it in many years.
>
> Was sooo looking forward to it after I had the baby and then they went and
>
> changed the formula.

Diet Coke tastes better than Tab ever did.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:44:44 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:13:20 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
>
> > wrote:

> >> -snip-

> >> I don't know if I'm a "super" taster but my mother said I was a picky

> >> eater, and so does my wife, so I guess you've offered one possible

> >> explanation. One of our two boys is, too.

> >I'm not a super *taster*, but a super smeller.

> You arer showing your ignorance, Bryan. Most of what we humans think
>
> we perceive as tasrte is actually smell.

I'd suggest that you read the article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

The same sloppiness that was shown in the two typos in two sentences
is also apparent in your writing before knowing.

> John Kuthe...

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:25:21 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:30:20 PM UTC-6, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:46:19 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Bitterness is a unappreciated flavor in most cases, however, a slight

> > > amount of mustard in a lot of savory foods works like magic. You have to

> > > keep it below perception level though.

> > I'd bet more than even odds that the PVC had this condition. It would explain

> > all the men she's left with chunks on their lower abdomens, and her frequent

> > insistence that they use the glory hole as protection.

> > > Too much and you done gone and screwed the pooch.

> > If her *lovers* only knew that it wasn't her mouth on the other side of

> > that wall, but the backside of her family dog...

> > She must own a heckuva muzzle, or insist on blaring Yoko Ono during the act,

> > or more likely both.

> Why are you sitting around fantasizing about my sex life? You're a ****ing weirdo. Does your poor wife know you do this kind of crap on the internet?

I don't keep much from my lovely wife. Only stuff she's clearly not
want to hear, and I can say with 100% certainty that she would be far
more offended by the suggestion that any part of any person's body be
mutilated by a food processor, than by anything I wrote.

> LOL

I've found this thread amusing as well.

> Get over yourself, wannabe faggot boi.

Oooh, boi with an "i." Aren't *you* hip with the lingo?

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/28/2014 5:51 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message

>>> -snip-
>>>

>>> I don't know if I'm a "super" taster but my mother said I was a picky
>>>
>>> eater, and so does my wife, so I guess you've offered one possible
>>>
>>> explanation. One of our two boys is, too.
>>>

>> I'm not a super *taster*, but a super smeller.

> I am that too. I can smell things that other people can't. Daughter is
> the same way. She can smell water. I can't. But I can smell rain.

What precisely does rain smell like in your region?

Here we denote the aroma of creosote, a slightly sweet smell, sugary almost.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:46:13 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> It's still available pretty much everywhere, I think. And also in an super
>
> caffeinated version. But the taste is not the same. Taste like Diet Coke
>
> to me so I just buy that. I haven't actually looked for it in many years.
>
> Was sooo looking forward to it after I had the baby and then they went and
>
> changed the formula.

Hmmm, I usually drink Diet Coke, too. I'll have a look next time I go to the store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:22:52 AM UTC-6, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:46:13 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message

> > > Interesting. I'm probably an average taster. BTW where do you find Tab

> > > at? I haven't seen it in years.

> I figure that the reason some folks don't put their mugshot on
>
> Cathy's page is butt ugliness. Tab won't help you much.

And your childish attempts to insult me aren't helping you much, either. Hissy fit much? Why on earth would I put my picture on the internet? So weirdos like you can jack off to it? Find your own masturbatory inspiration, Bwwwwyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaannnn.

BTW that picture of you that is up there looks like you're getting ready to inhale a huge cock. Oh wait, you like that kind of stuff. LOL!!

Dream on.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtA8IY4VUrc

I'm not interested in yer little Youtube videos, either.

> > It's still available pretty much everywhere, I think. And also in an super

> > caffeinated version. But the taste is not the same. Taste like Diet Coke

> > to me so I just buy that. I haven't actually looked for it in many years.

> > Was sooo looking forward to it after I had the baby and then they went and

> > changed the formula.

> Diet Coke tastes better than Tab ever did.

That I'll agree with.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
[...]

Umami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"March Hare" > wrote in message ...
> On 1/28/2014 5:51 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I'm not a super *taster*, but a super smeller.

>> I am that too. I can smell things that other people can't. Daughter is
>> the same way. She can smell water. I can't. But I can smell rain.

> What precisely does rain smell like in your region?
>
> Here we denote the aroma of creosote, a slightly sweet smell, sugary
> almost.

I have no clue what creosote smells like and rain seems to smell the same to
me any place I've been. The scent is hard to describe though. Almost
chemical type smell. Like minerals or something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2014 4:13 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "March Hare" > wrote in message

>>> I am that too. I can smell things that other people can't. Daughter is
>>> the same way. She can smell water. I can't. But I can smell rain.

>> What precisely does rain smell like in your region?
>>
>> Here we denote the aroma of creosote, a slightly sweet smell, sugary
>> almost.

> I have no clue what creosote smells like and rain seems to smell the
> same to me any place I've been. The scent is hard to describe though.
> Almost chemical type smell. Like minerals or something.

Wet creosote brush has a slightly tart and pleasant smell, it makes the
air smell "sweet".

You may have smelled creosote before and not known it - it is used to
treat railroad ties and also to coat asphalt in parking lots.

In that heavier concentration is has an almost acrid aroma, not unlike
the smell of coal being burned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"March Hare" > wrote in message ...
> On 1/29/2014 4:13 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> What precisely does rain smell like in your region?
>>>
>>> Here we denote the aroma of creosote, a slightly sweet smell, sugary
>>> almost.

>> I have no clue what creosote smells like and rain seems to smell the
>> same to me any place I've been. The scent is hard to describe though.
>> Almost chemical type smell. Like minerals or something.

> Wet creosote brush has a slightly tart and pleasant smell, it makes the
> air smell "sweet".
>
> You may have smelled creosote before and not known it - it is used to
> treat railroad ties and also to coat asphalt in parking lots.
>
> In that heavier concentration is has an almost acrid aroma, not unlike the
> smell of coal being burned.

Hmmm... Can't say that I've been around too many railroad tracks or wet
asphalt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2014 5:51 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "March Hare" > wrote in message

>>> I have no clue what creosote smells like and rain seems to smell the
>>> same to me any place I've been. The scent is hard to describe though.
>>> Almost chemical type smell. Like minerals or something.

>> Wet creosote brush has a slightly tart and pleasant smell, it makes
>> the air smell "sweet".
>>
>> You may have smelled creosote before and not known it - it is used to
>> treat railroad ties and also to coat asphalt in parking lots.
>>
>> In that heavier concentration is has an almost acrid aroma, not unlike
>> the smell of coal being burned.

> Hmmm... Can't say that I've been around too many railroad tracks or wet
> asphalt.

Lol, well if the situation presents itself you'll know! Creosote does
have a very different smell from the heavy petroleum aroma of fresh
asphalt being rolled.

We had a neighbor who liked to burn lump coal in an old woodstove, it
had a very distinctive aroma.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/30/2014 12:29 PM, March Hare wrote:
> On 1/29/2014 5:51 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Wet creosote brush has a slightly tart and pleasant smell, it makes
>>> the air smell "sweet".
>>>
>>> You may have smelled creosote before and not known it - it is used to
>>> treat railroad ties and also to coat asphalt in parking lots.
>>>
>>> In that heavier concentration is has an almost acrid aroma, not unlike
>>> the smell of coal being burned.

>> Hmmm... Can't say that I've been around too many railroad tracks or wet
>> asphalt.

> Lol, well if the situation presents itself you'll know! Creosote does
> have a very different smell from the heavy petroleum aroma of fresh
> asphalt being rolled.
>
> We had a neighbor who liked to burn lump coal in an old woodstove, it
> had a very distinctive aroma.

There is quite a difference between the basic 5 or 6 sensations the
tongue can detect and the flavors of many things, which are detected by
the nose.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Taste - Dimitri General Cooking 5 13-11-2009 05:38 PM
After taste Roy boy Winemaking 0 18-08-2005 06:44 PM
How Do We Taste? Raymond Wine 14 13-07-2005 07:16 PM
Age and taste crymad Tea 6 31-01-2005 12:30 PM
Taste like Uni James Sushi 19 01-02-2004 05:43 PM