crymad

Default Age and taste

Rebecca wrote:
> If a person can't tell the difference between the $5 for 100
> grams tea and the $30 for 100 grams tea, don't worry about it.
> Taste buds vary, and older people who are new to tea are not
> going to develop late in life the palatte to distinguish among
> grades that someone much younger can. Older folks are more
> likely to like the unsubtle teas because the taste buds and
> sense of smell aren't what they used to be (I like really
> obvious oolongs at 56).

This sharper flavor perception in youth has always been a source
of puzzlement. If the very young have such sensitive palates,
why do they crave things that taste the most overwhelming? Nacho
cheese Doritos, Mt. Dew, Captain Crunch, Snickers -- all staples
for Americans well into adulthood. If young tongues are indeed
more sensitive than those of their elders, then consuming these
should be the flavor equivalent of a spotlight in owl's eyes.

--crymad
Derek

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:10:12 -0800, crymad wrote:

> Rebecca wrote:
>> If a person can't tell the difference between the $5 for 100
>> grams tea and the $30 for 100 grams tea, don't worry about it.
>> Taste buds vary, and older people who are new to tea are not
>> going to develop late in life the palatte to distinguish among
>> grades that someone much younger can. Older folks are more
>> likely to like the unsubtle teas because the taste buds and
>> sense of smell aren't what they used to be (I like really
>> obvious oolongs at 56).

> This sharper flavor perception in youth has always been a source
> of puzzlement. If the very young have such sensitive palates,
> why do they crave things that taste the most overwhelming? Nacho
> cheese Doritos, Mt. Dew, Captain Crunch, Snickers -- all staples
> for Americans well into adulthood. If young tongues are indeed
> more sensitive than those of their elders, then consuming these
> should be the flavor equivalent of a spotlight in owl's eyes.

This is because a discerning palate is a learned behavior, not an
inborn trait. Children in the U.S. typically eat either very bland or
very overwhelming foods because that's what they're given.

My toddler, on the other hand, likes complex foods with lots of
flavors and nuance. Why? Because we've been feeding those to him since
he started stealing food from our plates. Oh, sure. He likes "chicken
nuggs", but he also likes pasta alfredo.

I'd guess that, much like languages, the ability to learn how to use
the tongue is enhanced in youth but not necessarily absent with age.
--
Derek

The nice thing about losing one's marbles is that you only have to
pick up the ones you want.
Melinda

On that thread I wonder how much of the "distinction" in the palatte is
simply being "mature" enough (thoughtful enough, whatever) to pay attention
to the nuances of what one is tasting. It takes time and some age to start
to pay attention to those sorts of distinctions I think (age as in older
than 15 or so, maybe) or at least being taught to pay attention to the
tastes.

--
"The country has entered an era in which
questions are not asked, for questions are

Melinda

"crymad" > wrote in message
> Rebecca wrote:
>> If a person can't tell the difference between the $5 for 100
>> grams tea and the $30 for 100 grams tea, don't worry about it.
>> Taste buds vary, and older people who are new to tea are not
>> going to develop late in life the palatte to distinguish among
>> grades that someone much younger can. Older folks are more
>> likely to like the unsubtle teas because the taste buds and
>> sense of smell aren't what they used to be (I like really obvious oolongs
>> at 56).

> This sharper flavor perception in youth has always been a source
> of puzzlement. If the very young have such sensitive palates,
> why do they crave things that taste the most overwhelming? Nacho
> cheese Doritos, Mt. Dew, Captain Crunch, Snickers -- all staples
> for Americans well into adulthood. If young tongues are indeed
> more sensitive than those of their elders, then consuming these
> should be the flavor equivalent of a spotlight in owl's eyes.
>
> --crymad

Derek

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:50:47 -0800, Melinda wrote:

> On that thread I wonder how much of the "distinction" in the palatte is
> simply being "mature" enough (thoughtful enough, whatever) to pay attention
> to the nuances of what one is tasting. It takes time and some age to start
> to pay attention to those sorts of distinctions I think (age as in older
> than 15 or so, maybe) or at least being taught to pay attention to the
> tastes.

Hah! Great minds think alike, eh?

--
Derek

"Tolstoy? Tolstoy not cookie. Tollhouse - dat cookie." -- Cookie
Monster
Derek

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:54:37 GMT, Rebecca Ore wrote:

> Also, price can reflect scarcity, not refinement.

I think that is a very important point.

It is easy to confuse price with quality. It can reflect, as you
mentioned, scarcity. It also can reflect nothing at all.

I'm sure we've all run into overpriced items that just weren't worth
it. Designer jeans come to mind.

--
Derek

"You'd be amazed at the number of people who want to introduce
themselves to you in the men's room. It's the most bizarre part of
this entire thing." - Senator John F. Kerry, speaking on "The Daily
Show" about life as a presidential candidate.

Lewis Perin

Rebecca Ore > writes:

> [...]
> Also, price can reflect scarcity, not refinement.

Even worse, as you probably know, price can reflect *ignorance* about supply.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

We have a 6th taste? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 26 30-01-2014 07:11 PM
Taste - Dimitri General Cooking 5 13-11-2009 05:38 PM
After taste Roy boy Winemaking 0 18-08-2005 06:44 PM
How Do We Taste? Raymond Wine 14 13-07-2005 07:16 PM
Taste like Uni James Sushi 19 01-02-2004 05:43 PM