James

Default Taste like Uni

I find roe from steamed crabs reminds me of uni. I've never tried raw
crab roe. Just wonder if it could substitute for uni.
D. Lutjen

"James" > wrote in message
om...

> I find roe from steamed crabs reminds me of uni. I've never tried raw
> crab roe. Just wonder if it could substitute for uni.

That's not roe. That's kani miso (aka crab shit). The best part of the
crab.

Dan Logcher

D. Lutjen wrote:

> "James" > wrote in message
> om...
>

>>I find roe from steamed crabs reminds me of uni. I've never tried raw
>>crab roe. Just wonder if it could substitute for uni.
>>

> That's not roe. That's kani miso (aka crab shit). The best part of the
> crab.

Are you kidding? I don't think I've ever had this.. not sure if I do.
Is this in soft shell crabs?

--
Dan

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> D. Lutjen wrote:
>
> > "James" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >

> >>I find roe from steamed crabs reminds me of uni. I've never tried raw
> >>crab roe. Just wonder if it could substitute for uni.
> >>

> > That's not roe. That's kani miso (aka crab shit). The best part of the
> > crab.

> Are you kidding? I don't think I've ever had this.. not sure if I do.
> Is this in soft shell crabs?
>
> --
> Dan

Dan, the kani miso is the brownish stuff that is under the shell and packed
into the side corners
(points) of a softshell crab.
If I eat a hard shell blue claw I will take the shell, put in some sake and
mix the miso together.
I am not really sure if one could use kani miso for sushi as the original
poster asks because
all the raw kani miso I have seen (like when I split a live green crab for
tautog bait) is really
watery and far far softer than any uni. That said there may be some remote
place in Japan
that does use kani miso as neta. But it certainly is not mainstream.
Also, taste wise although I do see the resemblance to uni, I personally find
the taste also
resembles ankimo a bit.
Kani miso, in the case of a lobster is called tomaly in English.

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>D. Lutjen wrote:
>>

>>>"James" > wrote in message
e.com...

>>>That's not roe. That's kani miso (aka crab shit). The best part of the
>>>crab.
>>>

>>Are you kidding? I don't think I've ever had this.. not sure if I do.
>>Is this in soft shell crabs?
>>
>>--
>>Dan
>>

> Dan, the kani miso is the brownish stuff that is under the shell and packed
> into the side corners
> (points) of a softshell crab.
> If I eat a hard shell blue claw I will take the shell, put in some sake and
> mix the miso together.
> I am not really sure if one could use kani miso for sushi as the original
> poster asks because
> all the raw kani miso I have seen (like when I split a live green crab for
> tautog bait) is really
> watery and far far softer than any uni. That said there may be some remote
> place in Japan
> that does use kani miso as neta. But it certainly is not mainstream.
> Also, taste wise although I do see the resemblance to uni, I personally find
> the taste also
> resembles ankimo a bit.
> Kani miso, in the case of a lobster is called tomaly in English.

Oh right the green stuff from lobster. Is it really crab shit?

--
Dan

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:

> e.com...

the

> >>Are you kidding? I don't think I've ever had this.. not sure if I do.
> >>Is this in soft shell crabs?
> >>
> >>--
> >>Dan
> >>

> > Dan, the kani miso is the brownish stuff that is under the shell and

packed
> > into the side corners
> > (points) of a softshell crab.
> > If I eat a hard shell blue claw I will take the shell, put in some sake

and
> > mix the miso together.
> > I am not really sure if one could use kani miso for sushi as the

original
> > poster asks because
> > all the raw kani miso I have seen (like when I split a live green crab

for
> > tautog bait) is really
> > watery and far far softer than any uni. That said there may be some

remote
> > place in Japan
> > that does use kani miso as neta. But it certainly is not mainstream.
> > Also, taste wise although I do see the resemblance to uni, I personally

find
> > the taste also
> > resembles ankimo a bit.
> > Kani miso, in the case of a lobster is called tomaly in English.

> Oh right the green stuff from lobster. Is it really crab shit?
>
> --
> Dan

Uh...I am as surprised as you are about it being "crab shit".
I did not know this.

Ken Blake

In ,
Dan Logcher > typed:
> Musashi wrote:

le.com...

tried

part

>>>Are you kidding? I don't think I've ever had this.. not sure

if I
>>>do. Is this in soft shell crabs?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Dan
>>>

>> Dan, the kani miso is the brownish stuff that is under the

shell and
>> packed into the side corners
>> (points) of a softshell crab.
>> If I eat a hard shell blue claw I will take the shell, put in

some
>> sake and mix the miso together.
>> I am not really sure if one could use kani miso for sushi as

the
>> original poster asks because
>> all the raw kani miso I have seen (like when I split a live

green
>> crab for tautog bait) is really
>> watery and far far softer than any uni. That said there may be

some
>> remote place in Japan
>> that does use kani miso as neta. But it certainly is not

mainstream.
>> Also, taste wise although I do see the resemblance to uni, I
>> personally find the taste also
>> resembles ankimo a bit.
>> Kani miso, in the case of a lobster is called tomaly in

English.

> Oh right the green stuff from lobster. Is it really crab shit?

No, if it's the same as lobster tomalley. The tomalley is the
liver of the lobster.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Musashi

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Dan Logcher > typed:
> > Musashi wrote:

> le.com...

> tried

> part

> if I

> >> Dan, the kani miso is the brownish stuff that is under the

> shell and
> >> packed into the side corners
> >> (points) of a softshell crab.
> >> If I eat a hard shell blue claw I will take the shell, put in

> some
> >> sake and mix the miso together.
> >> I am not really sure if one could use kani miso for sushi as

> the
> >> original poster asks because
> >> all the raw kani miso I have seen (like when I split a live

> green
> >> crab for tautog bait) is really
> >> watery and far far softer than any uni. That said there may be

> some
> >> remote place in Japan
> >> that does use kani miso as neta. But it certainly is not

> mainstream.
> >> Also, taste wise although I do see the resemblance to uni, I
> >> personally find the taste also
> >> resembles ankimo a bit.
> >> Kani miso, in the case of a lobster is called tomaly in

> English.
> >
> > Oh right the green stuff from lobster. Is it really crab shit?

> No, if it's the same as lobster tomalley. The tomalley is the
> liver of the lobster.

Whew...glad to hear that.

guren

D. Lutjen wrote:
> > > That's not roe. That's kani miso (aka crab shit). The best part of

the
> > > crab.

Thanks David. I could have gone my whole life without that description. ;-)

> That said there may be some remote
> place in Japan
> that does use kani miso as neta. But it certainly is not mainstream.

You're right that it's not necessarily mainstream, but it's probably a lot
more ubiquitous than you think. For example, kani miso sushi (as gunkan
maki), is served at all of the Bikkuri Sushi restaurants in Tokyo. Bikkuri
Sushi is a kaiten (conveyor-belt) sushi chain with dozens of locations
throughout Tokyo. I've also seen it served at many other lower-end
sushi restaurants in Tokyo.

glenn

Keith

....and very tasty!

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
<snip>.

> > Oh right the green stuff from lobster. Is it really crab shit?

> No, if it's the same as lobster tomalley. The tomalley is the
> liver of the lobster.
>
> --
> Ken Blake
> Please reply to the newsgroup

Hidago D. Langosta

> ...and very tasty!
>

> > > Oh right the green stuff from lobster. Is it really crab shit?

> > No, if it's the same as lobster tomalley. The tomalley is the
> > liver of the lobster.

I prefer Mexican tamale to Lobster tomalley.

--
Sent by xanadoof from yahoo included in com
Ken Blake

In ,
Keith > typed:

> ...and very tasty!

I like it too, but not as much as the regular part of the
lobster.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> <snip>.
>> >
>> > Oh right the green stuff from lobster. Is it really crab

shit?

>> No, if it's the same as lobster tomalley. The tomalley is the
>> liver of the lobster.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Dan Logcher

Ken Blake wrote:

> In ,
> Keith > typed:
>

>>...and very tasty!
>>

> I like it too, but not as much as the regular part of the
> lobster.

My mother-in-law mixes it into scrambled eggs with mushrooms.

--
Dan

Musashi

"guren" > wrote in message

> the

> Thanks David. I could have gone my whole life without that description.

;-)

> > That said there may be some remote
> > place in Japan
> > that does use kani miso as neta. But it certainly is not mainstream.

> You're right that it's not necessarily mainstream, but it's probably a lot
> more ubiquitous than you think. For example, kani miso sushi (as gunkan
> maki), is served at all of the Bikkuri Sushi restaurants in Tokyo.

Bikkuri
> Sushi is a kaiten (conveyor-belt) sushi chain with dozens of locations
> throughout Tokyo. I've also seen it served at many other lower-end
> sushi restaurants in Tokyo.
>
> glenn

Thats intersting to know. Next time i am in tokyo i must try it.
I'd presume it is kani miso from King crab or snow crab.
Have you tried it personally? If so, how did you find the taste and texture?

guren

Default kani miso

Musashi wrote:
> Thats intersting to know. Next time i am in tokyo i must try it.
> I'd presume it is kani miso from King crab or snow crab.
> Have you tried it personally? If so, how did you find the taste and

texture?

Sure, I get it quite often and it's pretty cheap - something like
150 or 200 yen for two pieces. It's usually not just the kani
miso, though. Most places put a little bit of shredded crap on
the rice, then add a dollop of kani miso on top. It's tasty and
the texture is fine, but I prefer just kani miso by itself, especially
if it's eaten directly from a freshly boiled crab. As gunkan maki
the taste is muted a bit too much by the rice and nori.

glenn

Paul Guertin

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:08:40 +0900, "guren" > wrote:

> Most places put a little bit of shredded crap on
> the rice, then add a dollop of kani miso on top.

Typo of the week.

Paul Guertin

Tippi

"guren" > wrote
> the texture is fine, but I prefer just kani miso by itself, especially
> if it's eaten directly from a freshly boiled crab. As gunkan maki
> the taste is muted a bit too much by the rice and nori.

Is the kanimiso in the sushi cooked or not?
Dan Logcher

Paul Guertin wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:08:40 +0900, "guren" > wrote:
>

>>Most places put a little bit of shredded crap on
>>the rice, then add a dollop of kani miso on top.
>>

> Typo of the week.

Maybe, maybe not. Funny nonetheless.

--
Dan

guren

Paul Guertin wrote:
> Typo of the week.

I almost wish I could say that the above typo was
by design, but alas it wasn't.

CRAP, and I usually proofread before sending.

*sigh*

glenn

shadow self

"guren" > wrote in message
> I (mistakenly) wrote:
> > > Most places put a little bit of shredded crap on
> > > the rice, then add a dollop of kani miso on top.

> Paul Guertin wrote:
> > Typo of the week.

> I almost wish I could say that the above typo was
> by design, but alas it wasn't.
>
> CRAP, and I usually proofread before sending.
>
> *sigh*
>
> glenn

Don't worry, Glenn. I doubt anyone really gives a crab.

We have a 6th taste? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 26 30-01-2014 07:11 PM
Taste - Dimitri General Cooking 5 13-11-2009 05:38 PM
After taste Roy boy Winemaking 0 18-08-2005 06:44 PM
How Do We Taste? Raymond Wine 14 13-07-2005 07:16 PM
Age and taste crymad Tea 6 31-01-2005 12:30 PM