Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Chinon

Hi,
We are off by car to Chinon for a week in July and I would welcome
suggestions for reliable, not too expensive producers (around the £5-10
($7-15) mark) in Chinon and the surrounding areas. Mainly interested in reds
but suggestions for good value dessert wines also welcome.

Many thanks,

Gordon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/19/14 11:28 AM, Gordon MacPherson wrote:
> Hi,
> We are off by car to Chinon for a week in July and I would welcome
> suggestions for reliable, not too expensive producers (around the £5-10
> ($7-15) mark) in Chinon and the surrounding areas. Mainly interested in
> reds but suggestions for good value dessert wines also welcome.

How's your French? Domaine Bernard Baudry would be tops on my list and
I know that the son speaks English. Other domaines whose wines I like
are Charles Joguet, Olga Raffault and Les Roches (Jerome Lenoir), but I
know nothing about whether they speak English.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/19/2014 11:28 AM, Gordon MacPherson wrote:
> Hi,
> We are off by car to Chinon for a week in July and I would welcome
> suggestions for reliable, not too expensive producers (around the £5-10
> ($7-15) mark) in Chinon and the surrounding areas. Mainly interested in
> reds but suggestions for good value dessert wines also welcome.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Gordon

In addition to what Mark suggested, There is a cooperative tasting room
below the chateau in Amboise that was surprisingly good. Also I like the
wines of Montlouis (Chenin Blanc) Many good again on the road to
Chenonceau (though the Chateau at Chenonceau is not recommended for
wine, tourism yes, wine no)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 19 May 2014 17:00:27 -0400, Mark Lipton wrote:

> On 5/19/14 11:28 AM, Gordon MacPherson wrote:
>> Hi,
>> We are off by car to Chinon for a week in July and I would welcome
>> suggestions for reliable, not too expensive producers (around the £5-10
>> ($7-15) mark) in Chinon and the surrounding areas. Mainly interested in
>> reds but suggestions for good value dessert wines also welcome.

> How's your French? Domaine Bernard Baudry would be tops on my list and
> I know that the son speaks English. Other domaines whose wines I like
> are Charles Joguet, Olga Raffault and Les Roches (Jerome Lenoir), but I
> know nothing about whether they speak English.

I'll second Baudry, although I think they're a little expensive perhaps.
Honestly there's not a lot of good Chinon around at 5‚¬ any more, entry
level will be around 7-8. Yes, Matthieu Baudry speaks fine English. If
you're in Cravant-les-Coteaux you could also try the somewhat less
expensive Patrick Lambert and Jacques Spelty, both within a couple of
hundred meters of Baudry.

Chinon is a large appellation, if you're in the other side of it (Ligré)
I'd recommend Ch. de Ligré, the rose, rouge domaine and rouge Roche St.
Paul are all very good.

-E

TN: 1990 Chinon AyTee Wine 1 26-04-2010 03:07 AM
TN: Fine value in Chinon DaleW Wine 0 19-10-2009 05:07 PM
TN: Chablis, Felton Rd. Chinon. John T Wine 2 02-03-2008 04:04 PM
[TN] '05 Baudry Chinon Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 10 29-02-2008 10:58 PM
Dom Les Chesnaies CHINON 1999 jcoulter Wine 0 23-04-2004 01:12 AM