FoodBanter.com

-   -   Chinon (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/429184-chinon.html)

Gordon MacPherson 19-05-2014 04:28 PM

Chinon

Hi,
We are off by car to Chinon for a week in July and I would welcome
suggestions for reliable, not too expensive producers (around the £5-10
($7-15) mark) in Chinon and the surrounding areas. Mainly interested in reds
but suggestions for good value dessert wines also welcome.

Many thanks,

Gordon

Mark Lipton[_1_] 19-05-2014 10:00 PM

Chinon

On 5/19/14 11:28 AM, Gordon MacPherson wrote:
> Hi,
> We are off by car to Chinon for a week in July and I would welcome
> suggestions for reliable, not too expensive producers (around the £5-10
> ($7-15) mark) in Chinon and the surrounding areas. Mainly interested in
> reds but suggestions for good value dessert wines also welcome.

How's your French? Domaine Bernard Baudry would be tops on my list and
I know that the son speaks English. Other domaines whose wines I like
are Charles Joguet, Olga Raffault and Les Roches (Jerome Lenoir), but I
know nothing about whether they speak English.

Mark Lipton

Jcoulter 19-05-2014 10:31 PM

Chinon

On 5/19/2014 11:28 AM, Gordon MacPherson wrote:
> Hi,
> We are off by car to Chinon for a week in July and I would welcome
> suggestions for reliable, not too expensive producers (around the £5-10
> ($7-15) mark) in Chinon and the surrounding areas. Mainly interested in
> reds but suggestions for good value dessert wines also welcome.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Gordon

In addition to what Mark suggested, There is a cooperative tasting room
below the chateau in Amboise that was surprisingly good. Also I like the
wines of Montlouis (Chenin Blanc) Many good again on the road to
Chenonceau (though the Chateau at Chenonceau is not recommended for
wine, tourism yes, wine no)

Emery Davis[_3_] 20-05-2014 04:58 PM

Chinon

On Mon, 19 May 2014 17:00:27 -0400, Mark Lipton wrote:

> On 5/19/14 11:28 AM, Gordon MacPherson wrote:
>> Hi,
>> We are off by car to Chinon for a week in July and I would welcome
>> suggestions for reliable, not too expensive producers (around the £5-10
>> ($7-15) mark) in Chinon and the surrounding areas. Mainly interested in
>> reds but suggestions for good value dessert wines also welcome.

> How's your French? Domaine Bernard Baudry would be tops on my list and
> I know that the son speaks English. Other domaines whose wines I like
> are Charles Joguet, Olga Raffault and Les Roches (Jerome Lenoir), but I
> know nothing about whether they speak English.

I'll second Baudry, although I think they're a little expensive perhaps.
Honestly there's not a lot of good Chinon around at 5‚¬ any more, entry
level will be around 7-8. Yes, Matthieu Baudry speaks fine English. If
you're in Cravant-les-Coteaux you could also try the somewhat less
expensive Patrick Lambert and Jacques Spelty, both within a couple of
hundred meters of Baudry.

Chinon is a large appellation, if you're in the other side of it (Ligré)
I'd recommend Ch. de Ligré, the rose, rouge domaine and rouge Roche St.
Paul are all very good.

-E