Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Two Napa Reds

Grilled a leg of local lamb at my farm this weekend and opened a
couple of bottles of Napa red wines that I had in my cellar at the
farm.

2001 Frank Family "Winston HIll" Cabernet-dark purple with a serious
amount of Rutherford dust and black pepper on the nose. Deep flavors
of cassis and blackberries on the palate. Firm but fine tannins and
good length on the finish. Nice wine. A-

2002 Regusci Estate Napa Merlot-Reddish purple inj the glass. Red
plums and berries ont he nose. A bit of toasted oak on the palate.
Soft and low acid but a good match with the lamb as the red fruit
component brought our the flavor of the lamb. "B"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 11:14:40 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> Grilled a leg of local lamb at my farm this weekend and opened a
>
> couple of bottles of Napa red wines that I had in my cellar at the
>
> farm.
>

> 2001 Frank Family "Winston HIll" Cabernet-dark purple with a serious
>
> amount of Rutherford dust and black pepper on the nose. Deep flavors
>
> of cassis and blackberries on the palate. Firm but fine tannins and
>
> good length on the finish. Nice wine. A-
>

> 2002 Regusci Estate Napa Merlot-Reddish purple inj the glass. Red
>
> plums and berries ont he nose. A bit of toasted oak on the palate.
>
> Soft and low acid but a good match with the lamb as the red fruit
>
> component brought our the flavor of the lamb. "B"

Surprised about the Regusci merlot. Went there in April and the Merlot had almost no oak in the 2009. Very bright red fruit.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 28, 5:06*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 11:14:40 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> > Grilled a leg of local lamb at my farm this weekend and opened a

> > couple of bottles of Napa red wines that I had in my cellar at the

> > farm.

> > 2001 Frank Family "Winston HIll" Cabernet-dark purple with a serious

> > amount of Rutherford dust and black pepper on the nose. *Deep flavors

> > of cassis and blackberries on the palate. *Firm but fine tannins and

> > good length on the finish. *Nice wine. *A-

> > 2002 Regusci Estate Napa Merlot-Reddish purple inj the glass. *Red

> > plums and berries ont he nose. *A bit of toasted oak on the palate.

> > Soft and low acid but a good match with the lamb as the red fruit

> > component brought our the flavor of the lamb. *"B"

> Surprised about the Regusci merlot. Went there in April and the Merlot had almost no oak in the 2009. Very bright red fruit.

I think back in the early 2000's lot's of Napa wineries were still
using a lot of French oak. I think the practice has subsided a bit an
they are using a bit more restraint.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> On May 28, 5:06*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 11:14:40 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> > > Grilled a leg of local lamb at my farm this weekend and opened a

> > > couple of bottles of Napa red wines that I had in my cellar at the

> > > farm.

> > > 2001 Frank Family "Winston HIll" Cabernet-dark purple with a serious

> > > amount of Rutherford dust and black pepper on the nose. *Deep flavors

> > > of cassis and blackberries on the palate. *Firm but fine tannins and

> > > good length on the finish. *Nice wine. *A-

> > > 2002 Regusci Estate Napa Merlot-Reddish purple inj the glass. *Red

> > > plums and berries ont he nose. *A bit of toasted oak on the palate.

> > > Soft and low acid but a good match with the lamb as the red fruit

> > > component brought our the flavor of the lamb. *"B"

> > Surprised about the Regusci merlot. Went there in April and the Merlot had
> > almost no oak in the 2009. Very bright red fruit.

> I think back in the early 2000's lot's of Napa wineries were still
> using a lot of French oak. I think the practice has subsided a bit an
> they are using a bit more restraint.

Restrained by a price tag of about $1000/ barrel ($3.50/bottle).
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Napa cabbage substitute? I can't find Napa anywhere. Kalmia General Cooking 4 11-08-2012 12:06 AM
Big Reds [email protected] Wine 0 12-10-2009 09:03 AM
China reds vs Indian reds color Melinda Tea 9 05-09-2007 05:59 PM
Two new reds PP Wine 3 15-04-2006 03:16 AM
Court Says Napa Wine Must Actually Come from Napa [email protected] Wine 6 31-05-2005 05:01 AM