Richard Neidich

Default M-Proney...aimed at you: Champagne servied in Bordeaux Glasss vs Flute

Was at a Duval-Leroy tasting yesterday and their was a man there from the
winery that handed out a brochure piece with some history, tasting notes and
some tips.

They prefer to drink their Champagne in a Bordeau glass similar to Reidel
Bordeaux.

Have you or anyone here heard of that as a way to drink Champagne?

Kirk-O-Scottland

Wonder what fill level one would pour into such a glass, and certainly the
focusing of the bubbles and nose would not be important (and why not)?

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Was at a Duval-Leroy tasting yesterday and their was a man there from the
> winery that handed out a brochure piece with some history, tasting notes
> and some tips.
>
> They prefer to drink their Champagne in a Bordeau glass similar to Reidel
> Bordeaux.
>
> Have you or anyone here heard of that as a way to drink Champagne?

Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Richard Neidich" > skrev i meddelandet
ink.net...
> Was at a Duval-Leroy tasting yesterday and their was a man there from the
> winery that handed out a brochure piece with some history, tasting notes

and
> some tips.
>
> They prefer to drink their Champagne in a Bordeau glass similar to Reidel
> Bordeaux.
>
> Have you or anyone here heard of that as a way to drink Champagne?

Funny you should ask ... we celebrated our 23rd wedding aniversary Saturday,
and started witha bottle of champagne (Fleury Brut, no vintage, biodynamic
producer, nose of ripe appels, hints of cream fudge, acceptable entry level
fizz at c. EU 14), and I had indeed poured it into our trusty 'Svalka'
slightly tulip shaped wine glasses. Xina commented on this, so we pulled out
a couple of flutes and reached the immediate verdict that the tulips were
better than the flutes - better concentration of nose, better appreciation
of taste.

HTH

Cheers

Nils Gustaf
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Michael Pronay

"Richard Neidich" > wrote:

> Was at a Duval-Leroy tasting yesterday and their was a man there
> from the winery that handed out a brochure piece with some
> history, tasting notes and some tips.
>
> They prefer to drink their Champagne in a Bordeau glass similar
> to Reidel Bordeaux.
>
> Have you or anyone here heard of that as a way to drink
> Champagne?

Of course, that's what I am doing for ages.

For everyday winers (which might occasionally include champagne) I
use the IKEA Svalka red wine glass:

<http://www.ikea.at/webapp/wcs/stores...splay?catalogI
d=10101&storeId=8&productId=12653&langId=-
21&parentCats=10118*10332*10335>

= <http://snipurl.com/8fk4>

In fact, I never really have understood the reason for flutes. After
all, champagne is a wine (and the best champagne is world class by
any standards) that deserves a glass where its bouquet can develop
decently - which is definitely not the case with flutes.

In fact I do not even have flutes anymore.

M.

P.S.: Flutes are really good for spirits.
Michael Pronay

<http://snipurl.com/8fk4> ;-)

> Xina commented on this, so we pulled out a couple of flutes and
> reached the immediate verdict that the tulips were better than
> the flutes - better concentration of nose, better appreciation
> of taste.

Quite logic.

M.

Michael Pronay

<http://snipurl.com/8fk4> ;-)

> Xina commented on this, so we pulled out a couple of flutes and
> reached the immediate verdict that the tulips were better than
> the flutes - better concentration of nose, better appreciation
> of taste.

Quite logic.

M.
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Richard

le/on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:27:12 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Was at a Duval-Leroy tasting yesterday and their was a man there from the
>winery that handed out a brochure piece with some history, tasting notes and
>some tips.
>
>They prefer to drink their Champagne in a Bordeaux glass similar to Reidel
>Bordeaux.

>Have you or anyone here heard of that as a way to drink Champagne?

I'll jump in here. About 2 years ago, Jacquie and I were in Turin at the
(EXCELLENT) Salon del Gusto organised by Slow food. Michael Tommasi had
organised some activities there from France, and one was a dinner designed
to match 10 champagnes from (occasional afw contributor) Francis Boulard.
Without wanting to be too contentious, I found some of the matches tenuous,
and that not all the dishes to be 100% successful, but a) that's not the
purpose of writing and b) one can learn as much from the less successful as
the wholly successful.

Anyway, Francis caused something of a stir amongst the staff, who after
having scoured the city for enough champagne flutes to serve 10 different
champagnes to some 150 or so participants, found that Francis didn't WANT
his champagnes served in flutes!!!!! As he put it succintly, "I want my wine
to be judged above all as wine, the bubbles are an added extra. If all you
want is bubbles, then drink Coke." OK, it was put somewhat trenchantly, but
there's a good point there. If a champagne can't hold its own _as wine_ then
it's nbg. My problem for years with the stuff was that I'd never tasted
really good champagne, and I was having the temerity to judge it _as wine_,
and finding that it wasn't good wine.

So yes, some champagne growers do prefer to taste their champagne in good
wine glasses, for the same reason as one drinks wine in that shape. It
allows the smells and flavours to be appreciated to the full. If the mousse
suffers very slightly, then so be it.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Kirk-O-Scottland,

le/on Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:45:33 -0600, tu disais/you said:-

>"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
link.net...

>> They prefer to drink their Champagne in a Bordeau glass similar to Reidel
>> Bordeaux.
>>
>> Have you or anyone here heard of that as a way to drink Champagne?

>Wonder what fill level one would pour into such a glass, and certainly the
>focusing of the bubbles and nose would not be important (and why not)?

Same as for any other wine poured into a wine glass. You wouldn't try to put
a litre of wine into a Riedel Sommelier Bordeaux glass, would you, so why
should one fill a smaller glass, just because it's champagne.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Mike Tommasi

On 27 Sep 2004 08:59:37 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>"Richard Neidich" > wrote:
>
>> Was at a Duval-Leroy tasting yesterday and their was a man there
>> from the winery that handed out a brochure piece with some
>> history, tasting notes and some tips.
>>
>> They prefer to drink their Champagne in a Bordeau glass similar
>> to Reidel Bordeaux.
>>
>> Have you or anyone here heard of that as a way to drink
>> Champagne?

>Of course, that's what I am doing for ages.
>
>For everyday winers (which might occasionally include champagne) I
>use the IKEA Svalka red wine glass:
>
><http://www.ikea.at/webapp/wcs/stores...splay?catalogI
>d=10101&storeId=8&productId=12653&langId=-
>21&parentCats=10118*10332*10335>
>
>= <http://snipurl.com/8fk4>
>
>In fact, I never really have understood the reason for flutes. After
>all, champagne is a wine (and the best champagne is world class by
>any standards) that deserves a glass where its bouquet can develop
>decently - which is definitely not the case with flutes.
>
>In fact I do not even have flutes anymore.
>
>M.
>
>P.S.: Flutes are really good for spirits.

I have been doing same for over a year now. Flutes are good for those
occasions when someone brings you a mediocre champagne and you are
made to understand that it MUST be opened... ;-)

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

On 27 Sep 2004 08:59:37 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>"Richard Neidich" > wrote:
>
>> Was at a Duval-Leroy tasting yesterday and their was a man there
>> from the winery that handed out a brochure piece with some
>> history, tasting notes and some tips.
>>
>> They prefer to drink their Champagne in a Bordeau glass similar
>> to Reidel Bordeaux.
>>
>> Have you or anyone here heard of that as a way to drink
>> Champagne?

>Of course, that's what I am doing for ages.
>
>For everyday winers (which might occasionally include champagne) I
>use the IKEA Svalka red wine glass:
>
><http://www.ikea.at/webapp/wcs/stores...splay?catalogI
>d=10101&storeId=8&productId=12653&langId=-
>21&parentCats=10118*10332*10335>
>
>= <http://snipurl.com/8fk4>
>
>In fact, I never really have understood the reason for flutes. After
>all, champagne is a wine (and the best champagne is world class by
>any standards) that deserves a glass where its bouquet can develop
>decently - which is definitely not the case with flutes.
>
>In fact I do not even have flutes anymore.
>
>M.
>
>P.S.: Flutes are really good for spirits.

I have been doing same for over a year now. Flutes are good for those
occasions when someone brings you a mediocre champagne and you are
made to understand that it MUST be opened... ;-)

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Michael Pronay

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> mediocre champagne

Mediocre champagne?

There ain't no such animal - at least the champenois say so ...

M.
Michael Pronay

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> mediocre champagne

Mediocre champagne?

There ain't no such animal - at least the champenois say so ...

M.
Richard Neidich

I was absolutly surprised to hear serve in Bordeaux glass with big bulb.

I will try next time.

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
news
> Salut/Hi Richard
>
> le/on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:27:12 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>Was at a Duval-Leroy tasting yesterday and their was a man there from the
>>winery that handed out a brochure piece with some history, tasting notes
>>and
>>some tips.
>>
>>They prefer to drink their Champagne in a Bordeaux glass similar to Reidel
>>Bordeaux.

>>Have you or anyone here heard of that as a way to drink Champagne?

> I'll jump in here. About 2 years ago, Jacquie and I were in Turin at the
> (EXCELLENT) Salon del Gusto organised by Slow food. Michael Tommasi had
> organised some activities there from France, and one was a dinner designed
> to match 10 champagnes from (occasional afw contributor) Francis Boulard.
> Without wanting to be too contentious, I found some of the matches
> tenuous,
> and that not all the dishes to be 100% successful, but a) that's not the
> purpose of writing and b) one can learn as much from the less successful
> as
> the wholly successful.
>
> Anyway, Francis caused something of a stir amongst the staff, who after
> having scoured the city for enough champagne flutes to serve 10 different
> champagnes to some 150 or so participants, found that Francis didn't WANT
> his champagnes served in flutes!!!!! As he put it succintly, "I want my
> wine
> to be judged above all as wine, the bubbles are an added extra. If all you
> want is bubbles, then drink Coke." OK, it was put somewhat trenchantly,
> but
> there's a good point there. If a champagne can't hold its own _as wine_
> then
> it's nbg. My problem for years with the stuff was that I'd never tasted
> really good champagne, and I was having the temerity to judge it _as
> wine_,
> and finding that it wasn't good wine.
>
> So yes, some champagne growers do prefer to taste their champagne in good
> wine glasses, for the same reason as one drinks wine in that shape. It
> allows the smells and flavours to be appreciated to the full. If the
> mousse
> suffers very slightly, then so be it.
>
> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Michael Pronay,

le/on 27 Sep 2004 10:23:31 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Mike Tommasi > wrote:
>
>> mediocre champagne

>Mediocre champagne?
>
>There ain't no such animal - at least the champenois say so ...

Grin. But then, they only drink good stuff.

They should drink the stuff sold at around ‚¬8 in the supermarkets here. That
would show them. No, I'm wrong, that's not _mediocre_ it's just plain awful
muck.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Richard Neidich

It would make it much easier when I serve a Champagne with first course and
switch to red after that. Only one glass per person to wash. Flutes are a
pain to wash too....

I will try this. Less mess.

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:
>
>> I had indeed poured it into our trusty 'Svalka' slightly tulip
>> shaped wine glasses.

> <http://snipurl.com/8fk4> ;-)
>
>> Xina commented on this, so we pulled out a couple of flutes and
>> reached the immediate verdict that the tulips were better than
>> the flutes - better concentration of nose, better appreciation
>> of taste.

> Quite logic.
>
> M.

Michael Pronay

"Richard Neidich" > wrote:

> It would make it much easier when I serve a Champagne with first
> course and switch to red after that. Only one glass per person
> to wash. Flutes are a pain to wash too....
>
> I will try this.

Do it.

> Less mess.

And much better taste!

M.

Michael Pronay

"Richard Neidich" > wrote:

> It would make it much easier when I serve a Champagne with first
> course and switch to red after that. Only one glass per person
> to wash. Flutes are a pain to wash too....
>
> I will try this.

Do it.

> Less mess.

And much better taste!

M.

Mike Tommasi

Yes, to be specific Francis said : "serve it as if you were serving a
Meursault" ...

Funny, like Ian I also went through a long period of not really
getting along with Champagne. Perhaps because it is so often thought
of as a branded product, it took me a long time to discover that there
are hundreds of vintners making wine in Champagne. It just happens to
have bubbles.

Also remarkable is the fact that older vintage Champs are superbly
evolved, and letting their bubbles calm down while decanting
multiplies the effect of these aromas by 10. Extraordinary when you
get both the honeyed aromas of mature chard, plus a very fine
oxidation that makes it delicious as an aperitif.

Mike

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:39:57 GMT, "Richard Neidich"
> wrote:

>I was absolutly surprised to hear serve in Bordeaux glass with big bulb.
>
>I will try next time.
>

>"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
>news
>> Salut/Hi Richard
>>
>> le/on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:27:12 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>>
>>>Was at a Duval-Leroy tasting yesterday and their was a man there from the
>>>winery that handed out a brochure piece with some history, tasting notes
>>>and
>>>some tips.
>>>
>>>They prefer to drink their Champagne in a Bordeaux glass similar to Reidel
>>>Bordeaux.

>>>Have you or anyone here heard of that as a way to drink Champagne?

>> I'll jump in here. About 2 years ago, Jacquie and I were in Turin at the
>> (EXCELLENT) Salon del Gusto organised by Slow food. Michael Tommasi had
>> organised some activities there from France, and one was a dinner designed
>> to match 10 champagnes from (occasional afw contributor) Francis Boulard.
>> Without wanting to be too contentious, I found some of the matches
>> tenuous,
>> and that not all the dishes to be 100% successful, but a) that's not the
>> purpose of writing and b) one can learn as much from the less successful
>> as
>> the wholly successful.
>>
>> Anyway, Francis caused something of a stir amongst the staff, who after
>> having scoured the city for enough champagne flutes to serve 10 different
>> champagnes to some 150 or so participants, found that Francis didn't WANT
>> his champagnes served in flutes!!!!! As he put it succintly, "I want my
>> wine
>> to be judged above all as wine, the bubbles are an added extra. If all you
>> want is bubbles, then drink Coke." OK, it was put somewhat trenchantly,
>> but
>> there's a good point there. If a champagne can't hold its own _as wine_
>> then
>> it's nbg. My problem for years with the stuff was that I'd never tasted
>> really good champagne, and I was having the temerity to judge it _as
>> wine_,
>> and finding that it wasn't good wine.
>>
>> So yes, some champagne growers do prefer to taste their champagne in good
>> wine glasses, for the same reason as one drinks wine in that shape. It
>> allows the smells and flavours to be appreciated to the full. If the
>> mousse
>> suffers very slightly, then so be it.
>>
>> --
>> All the Best
>> Ian Hoare
>> http://www.souvigne.com
>> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

> [...]

>> but
>> there's a good point there. If a champagne can't hold its own _as wine_
>> then
>> it's nbg. My problem for years with the stuff was that I'd never tasted
>> really good champagne, and I was having the temerity to judge it _as
>> wine_,
>> and finding that it wasn't good wine.
>>
>> So yes, some champagne growers do prefer to taste their champagne in good
>> wine glasses, for the same reason as one drinks wine in that shape. It
>> allows the smells and flavours to be appreciated to the full. If the
>> mousse
>> suffers very slightly, then so be it.
>>
>> --
>> All the Best
>> Ian Hoare
>> http://www.souvigne.com
>> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

Richard Neidich

"Mike Tommasi" > you said:

First the return address of is funny.

> Yes, to be specific Francis said : "serve it as if you were serving a
> Meursault" ...

That really does sound like good advice. I had 3 old bottles of Dom that
were RECENT DISGORGED...I really wish I had done this then. They were truly
outstanding and I bet I did not even get the fully experience.

I need to spend a week with you, Ian and M. Proney to destroy my liver more.

> Funny, like Ian I also went through a long period of not really
> getting along with Champagne. Perhaps because it is so often thought
> of as a branded product, it took me a long time to discover that there
> are hundreds of vintners making wine in Champagne. It just happens to
> have bubbles.

Somehow I see you guys having problems with the Champagne. Just the slow
food that you belong to would seem more anti-corporated atmosphere and for
good reason. No doubt the highly commercialized food industry that controls
huge lobbys is not only destroying some farmland but making it to the point
that food is becoming less flavored. I have a company that markets dry
beans. Dry Beans are really good for the soil. However with Dry Beans on
the decline due to less cooking here and abroad less farmland is being used
e)ach year for Dry Bean plantings.(Dry Beans = Pinto's, Great Northerns,
Blackeyes, Lentils and yes--French Green Lentils, Green Split Peas, Limas,
Kidneys.....

> Also remarkable is the fact that older vintage Champs are superbly
> evolved, and letting their bubbles calm down while decanting
> multiplies the effect of these aromas by 10. Extraordinary when you
> get both the honeyed aromas of mature chard, plus a very fine
> oxidation that makes it delicious as an aperitif.

Again I wish I had some of the old 3 bottle case I had of RD Dom. But I do
havea a couple bottles of Bollinger RD....I have never tried the Bollinger
RD's. They were a gift to me. I have had there basic and thought it was
just OK.

Recently there is one getting lots of hype here..it is Jacquesson 728 Brut.
I tried it last week and thought it was very good but overpriced in its
class.

I will have to try all these again in a different glass and see if my
thoughts change.

> Mike

Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Michael Pronay" > skrev i meddelandet
> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:
>
> > I had indeed poured it into our trusty 'Svalka' slightly tulip
> > shaped wine glasses.

> <http://snipurl.com/8fk4> ;-)

No, not Rotwein-Glas - sondern Weinprobe-Glas

Cheers

Nils Gustaf
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Richard Neidich" > skrev i meddelandet
nk.net...
> It would make it much easier when I serve a Champagne with first course

and
> switch to red after that. Only one glass per person to wash. Flutes are

> pain to wash too....
>
> I will try this. Less mess.

In fact, we continued the said supper with game, accomapnied by Dom. Launay
Pommard 'Les perriérès' (sorry if the diacriticals are not in place) 1997, a
huge majestic still youthful hunk of a Bourgogne - but we changed to our
Enomous Balloons (that holds 78 cl). What a wonderful wine. Best is we still
have four bottles of it in the cellar, so we´ll open one each year, while
the ones we bought this summer comes of age ...

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

RV WRLee

>Was at a Duval-Leroy tasting yesterday and their was a man there from the
>winery that handed out a brochure piece with some history, tasting notes and
>some tips.
>
>They prefer to drink their Champagne in a Bordeau glass similar to Reidel
>Bordeaux.
>
>Have you or anyone here heard of that as a way to drink Champagne?

In my many, many trips to Champagne I find this to be the case about 50% of the
time. Often at small Champagne houses they serve in a regular wine glass as
opposed to a flute and bistro's, cafes' etc will often serve in regular wine
glasses. Flutes seem to be used in the larger, more tourist oriented Champagne
houses and upscale restaurants.
Bi!!
Michael Pronay

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

>> <http://snipurl.com/8fk4> ;-)

> No, not Rotwein-Glas - sondern Weinprobe-Glas

OK, for those who want to know the difference:

<http://www.ikea.at/webapp/wcs/stores...Display?catalo
gId=10101&storeId=8&productId=12152&langId=-21&parentCats=10118*103
32*10335>

= <http://snipurl.com/9db7>

I guess both suit the demands of an everyday drinking glass quite
well.

M.
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Richard Neidich,

le/on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:41:38 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Somehow I see you guys having problems with the Champagne. Just the slow
>food that you belong to would seem more anti-corporated atmosphere and for
>good reason.

For me it wasn't so much the "small is beautiful, big is bad", it was that
most of the Champagne I'd drunk gave me raging heartburn. I felt that a wine
which gave itself so many airs and graces shouldn't DO that. I judged the
stuff in my glass against say, Meursault or a good German wine, and compared
value for money, pure and simple.

>that food is becoming less flavored. I have a company that markets dry
>beans. Dry Beans are really good for the soil. However with Dry Beans on
>the decline due to less cooking here and abroad less farmland is being used
>e)ach year for Dry Bean plantings.(Dry Beans = Pinto's, Great Northerns,
>Blackeyes, Lentils and yes--French Green Lentils, Green Split Peas, Limas,
>Kidneys.....

I can't resist sending you the recipe for one of our favourite soups. We
make it very often and are in fact serving it tonight. We eat loads of
beans. When I'm in the States, I shall be stocking up with several varieties
we can't get in Europe, Red Limas, small Limas, Great Northern, at the
least. Probably some of the pink ones too.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Cajun 15 Bean Soup

cajun, main dish, soups, starters, vegetables

285 gm mixed beans
1500 ml water or ham/bacon stock
500 gm poitrine fumé; diced
1 medium onion; chopped
1 clove garlic; crushed
50 gm fat
1 teaspoon chili powder
500 gm tomatoes; concassée
1 lemon juice

Soak beans overnight, then drain and cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours with water
or stock. While beans are cooking, prepare flavourings. Heat fat,
which can be lard, goose fat etc., and cook the salt pork dice till
fat runs. Add onion and garlic and fry till meat is browned. Stir in
chili powder and turn off heat forthwith.

When beans are soft but not cooked to a mush, add meat mixture to pot,
together with tomatoes and lemon juice to taste. Simmer 1/2 hour.
Correct seasoning.

Mmed IMH c/o Gohlam BBS Fido 2:320/116.14

Yield: 8 servings

All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Richard Neidich,

le/on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:41:38 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Somehow I see you guys having problems with the Champagne. Just the slow
>food that you belong to would seem more anti-corporated atmosphere and for
>good reason.

For me it wasn't so much the "small is beautiful, big is bad", it was that
most of the Champagne I'd drunk gave me raging heartburn. I felt that a wine
which gave itself so many airs and graces shouldn't DO that. I judged the
stuff in my glass against say, Meursault or a good German wine, and compared
value for money, pure and simple.

>that food is becoming less flavored. I have a company that markets dry
>beans. Dry Beans are really good for the soil. However with Dry Beans on
>the decline due to less cooking here and abroad less farmland is being used
>e)ach year for Dry Bean plantings.(Dry Beans = Pinto's, Great Northerns,
>Blackeyes, Lentils and yes--French Green Lentils, Green Split Peas, Limas,
>Kidneys.....

I can't resist sending you the recipe for one of our favourite soups. We
make it very often and are in fact serving it tonight. We eat loads of
beans. When I'm in the States, I shall be stocking up with several varieties
we can't get in Europe, Red Limas, small Limas, Great Northern, at the
least. Probably some of the pink ones too.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Cajun 15 Bean Soup

cajun, main dish, soups, starters, vegetables

285 gm mixed beans
1500 ml water or ham/bacon stock
500 gm poitrine fumé; diced
1 medium onion; chopped
1 clove garlic; crushed
50 gm fat
1 teaspoon chili powder
500 gm tomatoes; concassée
1 lemon juice

Soak beans overnight, then drain and cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours with water
or stock. While beans are cooking, prepare flavourings. Heat fat,
which can be lard, goose fat etc., and cook the salt pork dice till
fat runs. Add onion and garlic and fry till meat is browned. Stir in
chili powder and turn off heat forthwith.

When beans are soft but not cooked to a mush, add meat mixture to pot,
together with tomatoes and lemon juice to taste. Simmer 1/2 hour.
Correct seasoning.

Mmed IMH c/o Gohlam BBS Fido 2:320/116.14

Yield: 8 servings

All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Richard Neidich

Ian, I sent email to your angelfire.com address but it bounced back...so I
sent to your and as of yet it has not bounced back. Let
me know if you get email.

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Richard Neidich,
>
> le/on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:41:38 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>

>>Somehow I see you guys having problems with the Champagne. Just the slow
>>food that you belong to would seem more anti-corporated atmosphere and for
>>good reason.

> For me it wasn't so much the "small is beautiful, big is bad", it was that
> most of the Champagne I'd drunk gave me raging heartburn. I felt that a
> wine
> which gave itself so many airs and graces shouldn't DO that. I judged the
> stuff in my glass against say, Meursault or a good German wine, and
> compared
> value for money, pure and simple.
>
>>that food is becoming less flavored. I have a company that markets dry
>>beans. Dry Beans are really good for the soil. However with Dry Beans on
>>the decline due to less cooking here and abroad less farmland is being
>>used
>>e)ach year for Dry Bean plantings.(Dry Beans = Pinto's, Great Northerns,
>>Blackeyes, Lentils and yes--French Green Lentils, Green Split Peas, Limas,
>>Kidneys.....

> I can't resist sending you the recipe for one of our favourite soups. We
> make it very often and are in fact serving it tonight. We eat loads of
> beans. When I'm in the States, I shall be stocking up with several
> varieties
> we can't get in Europe, Red Limas, small Limas, Great Northern, at the
> least. Probably some of the pink ones too.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Cajun 15 Bean Soup
>
> cajun, main dish, soups, starters, vegetables
>
> 285 gm mixed beans
> 1500 ml water or ham/bacon stock
> 500 gm poitrine fumé; diced
> 1 medium onion; chopped
> 1 clove garlic; crushed
> 50 gm fat
> 1 teaspoon chili powder
> 500 gm tomatoes; concassée
> 1 lemon juice
>
> Soak beans overnight, then drain and cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours with water
> or stock. While beans are cooking, prepare flavourings. Heat fat,
> which can be lard, goose fat etc., and cook the salt pork dice till
> fat runs. Add onion and garlic and fry till meat is browned. Stir in
> chili powder and turn off heat forthwith.
>
> When beans are soft but not cooked to a mush, add meat mixture to pot,
> together with tomatoes and lemon juice to taste. Simmer 1/2 hour.
> Correct seasoning.
>
> Mmed IMH c/o Gohlam BBS Fido 2:320/116.14
>
> Yield: 8 servings
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.66 **
>

> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare

http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

Anders Tørneskog

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > skrev i melding
> In fact, we continued the said supper with game, accomapnied by Dom.

Launay
> Pommard 'Les perriérès' (sorry if the diacriticals are not in place)

Probably easier to remember if I say your spelling would have been
pronounced "perrieräs" instead of "perriär" (probably understandable to
Scandinavians only, and maybe Michael P :-),
so the right writing is 'perrières'. Funny thing is that 'perrieres'
without diacritics seems to be widely used and gives the correct
pronounciation too... :-)
Anders

Hunt

In article >, ianhoare@angelfire.
com says...

>Salut/Hi Richard Neidich,
>
> le/on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:41:38 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>

>>Somehow I see you guys having problems with the Champagne. Just the slow
>>food that you belong to would seem more anti-corporated atmosphere and for
>>good reason.

>For me it wasn't so much the "small is beautiful, big is bad", it was that
>most of the Champagne I'd drunk gave me raging heartburn. I felt that a wine
>which gave itself so many airs and graces shouldn't DO that. I judged the
>stuff in my glass against say, Meursault or a good German wine, and compared
>value for money, pure and simple.
>
>>that food is becoming less flavored. I have a company that markets dry
>>beans. Dry Beans are really good for the soil. However with Dry Beans on
>>the decline due to less cooking here and abroad less farmland is being used
>>e)ach year for Dry Bean plantings.(Dry Beans = Pinto's, Great Northerns,
>>Blackeyes, Lentils and yes--French Green Lentils, Green Split Peas, Limas,
>>Kidneys.....

>I can't resist sending you the recipe for one of our favourite soups. We
>make it very often and are in fact serving it tonight. We eat loads of
>beans. When I'm in the States, I shall be stocking up with several varieties
>we can't get in Europe, Red Limas, small Limas, Great Northern, at the
>least. Probably some of the pink ones too.
>
>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>Cajun 15 Bean Soup
>
>cajun, main dish, soups, starters, vegetables
>
>285 gm mixed beans
>1500 ml water or ham/bacon stock
>500 gm poitrine fumé; diced
>1 medium onion; chopped
>1 clove garlic; crushed
>50 gm fat
>1 teaspoon chili powder
>500 gm tomatoes; concassée
>1 lemon juice
>
>Soak beans overnight, then drain and cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours with water
>or stock. While beans are cooking, prepare flavourings. Heat fat,
>which can be lard, goose fat etc., and cook the salt pork dice till
>fat runs. Add onion and garlic and fry till meat is browned. Stir in
>chili powder and turn off heat forthwith.
>
>When beans are soft but not cooked to a mush, add meat mixture to pot,
>together with tomatoes and lemon juice to taste. Simmer 1/2 hour.
>Correct seasoning.
>
>Mmed IMH c/o Gohlam BBS Fido 2:320/116.14
>
>Yield: 8 servings
>

>** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.66 **
>

>--
>All the Best
>Ian Hoare

Sounds like a take-off on my wife's New Orleans' Red Beans & Rice - though
without the rice! Next time you are in the US, try and find Blue Runner Red
Beans, which are canned (wife uses them along with dry Red Beans, soaked) and
they are worth the effort. You may have to travel to the Deep South, but that
should pay dividends regarding the local cuisine(s) that one will experience.

Hunt

Hunt

> [...]

>chili powder and turn off heat forthwith.
>
>When beans are soft but not cooked to a mush, add meat mixture to pot,
>together with tomatoes and lemon juice to taste. Simmer 1/2 hour.
>Correct seasoning.
>
>Mmed IMH c/o Gohlam BBS Fido 2:320/116.14
>
>Yield: 8 servings
>

>** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.66 **
>

>--
>All the Best
>Ian Hoare

Sounds like a take-off on my wife's New Orleans' Red Beans & Rice - though
without the rice! Next time you are in the US, try and find Blue Runner Red
Beans, which are canned (wife uses them along with dry Red Beans, soaked) and
they are worth the effort. You may have to travel to the Deep South, but that
should pay dividends regarding the local cuisine(s) that one will experience.

Michael Pronay

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:

> Funny thing is that 'perrieres' without diacritics seems to be
> widely used

Diacritics may be ommited when CAPITAL spelling is used. (The are
not wrong, however, so PRÓNAY would be correct.)

M.
Mike Tommasi

On 29 Sep 2004 09:01:01 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:
>
>> Funny thing is that 'perrieres' without diacritics seems to be
>> widely used

>Diacritics may be ommited when CAPITAL spelling is used. (The are
>not wrong, however, so PRÓNAY would be correct.)

Actually, in French they are wrong. In France at least. Not so in
Quebec, where they are always used on capitals.

Mike
with an accent-challenged keyboard

Does anyone know an easy way to do accents on Forte Agent? I manage on
Word (but not on Excel!).

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Hunt,

le/on 29 Sep 2004 01:07:07 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>>I can't resist sending you the recipe for one of our favourite soups.

[snip]
>>Cajun 15 Bean Soup

>Sounds like a take-off on my wife's New Orleans' Red Beans & Rice - though
>without the rice!

The combination of pulses, often red (or black) beans, and rice - originally
brown rice - is very ancient. Risi e bisi in Italy, Moros y Cristianos in
Cuba, to name but two. In India, dhall and rice is staple food for millions.

Would her recipe be something like this?

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Red Beans And Rice, Family Recipe, New Orleans

cajun

1 lb red kidney beans
1/2 lb ham, cubed
2 lb hot smoked sausage, chunks
10 cup water
2 each large onions, chopped
4 tablespoon cooking oil
1 single garlic powder, to taste
1 each salt, to taste
1 each pepper, to taste

Rinse and sort beans. Cover with water in large pot and cook over low
fire, covered, for one hour. Brown onions, ham, and sausage in oil
and add to beans. Continue cooking beans mixture for two hours on
low to medium heat, partially covered, stirring often. Add garlic
powder, salt, and pepper, cook for another hour, or until beans are
tender. Add water as necessary. If a creamer sauce is desired, mash
1/2 cup of cooked beans through a strainer and stir into beams
mixture. Tasso or andouille may be substituted for the ham. Serve
over hot, fluffy, long-grained rice with warm french bread.

From: Jim Himanga

From the recipe collection of Fred Towner
From : Gail Shipp

Yield: 8 servings

> Next time you are in the US, try and find Blue Runner Red Beans, which are canned (wife uses them along with dry Red Beans, soaked) and
> they are worth the effort.

We'll look out for them, thanks for the tip.

> You may have to travel to the Deep South, but that should pay dividends regarding the local cuisine(s)
> that one will experience.

About 6 years ago, we did a trip down the "East Coast", I put the area in
quotes, because we went as far inland as the Niagara falls, Greeneville
Tennessee, and even into Houston Texas. We spent a good week in Baton Rouge,
and adored the area. On our way (from Florida to NOLA) we even had a meal at
Lamberts "Home of the throwed roll" in coastal Alabama, and had the best
okra I've ever eaten, as an accompaniment to some chicken fried steak there.
Sadly, with the spate of hurricanes, it seems unlikely that it has survived.

I can't get to grips with "dirty rice", but we loved the various gumbos,
Etouffes, jambalayas etc that we had there.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Michael Pronay

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>>Diacritics may be ommited when CAPITAL spelling is used. (The
>>are not wrong, however, so PRÓNAY would be correct.)

> Actually, in French they are wrong. In France at least.

No, they are *not*. I know many people believe them being wrong -
and practically nobody would use them -, but they are definitely
not wrong.

M.

Mike Tommasi

On 29 Sep 2004 10:36:33 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>Mike Tommasi > wrote:
>
>>>Diacritics may be ommited when CAPITAL spelling is used. (The
>>>are not wrong, however, so PRÓNAY would be correct.)

>> Actually, in French they are wrong. In France at least.

>No, they are *not*. I know many people believe them being wrong -
>and practically nobody would use them -, but they are definitely
>not wrong.

Depends, my kids get corrected for using them, so I assumed it was
wrong.

However, there is a recent text affirmongthe opposite :

« Extrait du "Lexique des règles typographiques en usage à
l'Imprimerie nationale" , page 12, ISBN 2-11-081075-0, édition de 1994
:

En français, l'accent a pleine valeur orthographique. Son absence
ralentit la lecture et fait hésiter sur la prononciation, sur le sens
même de nombreux mots. Aussi convient-il de s'opposer à la tendance
qui, sous prétexte de modernisme, en fait par économie de composition,
prône la suppression des accents sur les majuscules. On veillera à
utiliser systématiquement les capitales accentuées, y compris la
préposition À.

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Emery Davis

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:29:24 +0200, Mike Tommasi > said:

] On 29 Sep 2004 10:36:33 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:
]=20
] >Mike Tommasi > wrote:=20
] >
] >>>Diacritics may be ommited when CAPITAL spelling is used. (The
] >>>are not wrong, however, so PR=D3NAY would be correct.)=20
] >
] >> Actually, in French they are wrong. In France at least.=20
] >
] >No, they are *not*. I know many people believe them being wrong -
] >and practically nobody would use them -, but they are definitely
] >not wrong.=20
]=20
] Depends, my kids get corrected for using them, so I assumed it was
] wrong.
]=20

Mine too. And I've been told that according to the academie, it is wrong.
But that was a long time ago, the rules might have changed, as they
often do.

You're text below strikes me as a style guideline rather than a hard and
fast rule. Could the Imprimerie Nationale disagree with the Academie Franc=
aise?!!

-E

P.S. Package recieved, my thanks.

] However, there is a recent text affirmongthe opposite :
]=20
] =AB Extrait du "Lexique des r=E8gles typographiques en usage =E0
] l'Imprimerie nationale" , page 12, ISBN 2-11-081075-0, =E9dition de 1994
] :
]=20
] En fran=E7ais, l'accent a pleine valeur orthographique. Son absence
] ralentit la lecture et fait h=E9siter sur la prononciation, sur le sens
] m=EAme de nombreux mots. Aussi convient-il de s'opposer =E0 la tendance
] qui, sous pr=E9texte de modernisme, en fait par =E9conomie de composition,
] pr=F4ne la suppression des accents sur les majuscules. On veillera =E0
] utiliser syst=E9matiquement les capitales accentu=E9es, y compris la
] pr=E9position =C0.
]=20
]=20
] Mike
]=20
] Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
] email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

--=20
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies
Michael Pronay

Emery Davis > wrote:

> ] Depends, my kids get corrected for using them, so I assumed it
> ] was wrong.

> Mine too. And I've been told that according to the academie, it
> is wrong.

I guess this is an urban legend even teachers believe.

> But that was a long time ago, the rules might have changed, as
> they often do.

Most certainly not.

M.
Mike Tommasi

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:50:40 -0400, "antony" >
wrote:

>Mike :
>
>Add a French keyboard
>
>(Control panel>keyboard>language>etc in my W95- challenged computer)
>
>and all you have to do is Alt/shift when you want to use it. It takes a
>little getting used to since it's AZERTY instead of QWERTY, but it saves a
>lot of Alt number time-wasting.

Thanks, but I already do that. Ctl-' e gives me an e-accent aigu, etc.
I have become pretty good at this.

But that ONLY works for Word. Microsoft is such UTTER CRAP that even
within Office the system does not work, not for Excel, not for Access,
NOTHING.

And of course these shortcuts do not work for Forte' Agent...

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Ken Blake

In ,
Mike Tommasi > typed:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:50:40 -0400, "antony"
> >
> wrote:
>
>>Mike :
>>
>>Add a French keyboard
>>
>>(Control panel>keyboard>language>etc in my W95- challenged
>>computer)
>>
>>and all you have to do is Alt/shift when you want to use it.
>>It
>>takes a little getting used to since it's AZERTY instead of
>>QWERTY,
>>but it saves a lot of Alt number time-wasting.

> Thanks, but I already do that. Ctl-' e gives me an e-accent
> aigu, etc.
> I have become pretty good at this.
>
> But that ONLY works for Word. Microsoft is such UTTER CRAP that
> even
> within Office the system does not work, not for Excel, not for
> Access,
> NOTHING.
>
> And of course these shortcuts do not work for Forte' Agent...

Try the little freeware program AllChars at
http://allchars.zwolnet.com

With it running in the background, such shortcuts work in all
programs.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

TN: 1986 Bordeaux (plus Champagne and 2 white Burgs) DaleW Wine 0 29-01-2016 09:23 PM
Latest Terror Threat in US Aimed to Poison Food MeAndMySelf Diabetic 8 23-12-2010 10:38 PM
Champagne and Bordeaux Bi!! Wine 2 08-03-2010 06:07 PM
WTN: NV Champagne and a minor '59 Bordeaux DaleW Wine 0 29-11-2009 01:59 AM
TN: Champagne, Bordeaux, Burgundy DaleW Wine 2 12-11-2007 07:51 PM