Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Champagne and Bordeaux

While fixing dinner I opened a bottle of Michel Turgy NV Brut Blanc de
Blanc last night. I visited Turgy in Mesnil-Sur-Oger many years ago
on my first trip to Champagne and we had a delightful time as I
enjoyed his artisinal Champagne. This is a place where they still
hand disgorge against a cement wall in the cave, hand dosage and hand
cork. The wine was a bit simple with some slightly old apple flavors
a bit of buttered toast and a very soft mousse. Not as good as I
remembered. "C+/B-"

1995 Chateau Lagrange Pomerol-showing a bit of age with a brickish
color and pronounced leather and cedar notes on the nose. A bit tight
on the palate that opened up a bit after some air but still a bit
short on fruit. MOre secondary flavors of cedar, tea, and tobacco. I
retasted this morning with no improvement. Off bottle or over the
hill?? "C+"

2005 Ramey Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon-Big nose of ripe black
cherry and blackberries. Smooth and lush on the palate with big black
fruit flavors and plenty of sweet cassis with a bit of smoky oak on
the finish. "A-"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 8, 9:11*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> While fixing dinner I opened a bottle of Michel Turgy NV Brut Blanc de
> Blanc last night. *I visited Turgy in Mesnil-Sur-Oger many years ago
> on my first trip to Champagne and we had a delightful time as I
> enjoyed his artisinal Champagne. *This is a place where they still
> hand disgorge against a cement wall in the cave, hand dosage and hand
> cork. *The wine was a bit simple with some *slightly old apple flavors
> a bit of buttered toast and a very soft mousse. *Not as good as I
> remembered. "C+/B-"
>
> 1995 Chateau Lagrange Pomerol-showing a bit of age with a brickish
> color and pronounced leather and cedar notes on the nose. *A bit tight
> on the palate that opened up a bit after some air but still a bit
> short on fruit. *MOre secondary flavors of cedar, tea, and tobacco. *I
> retasted this morning with no improvement. *Off bottle or over the
> hill?? *"C+"
>
> 2005 Ramey Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon-Big nose of ripe black
> cherry and blackberries. *Smooth and lush on the palate with big black
> fruit flavors and plenty of sweet cassis with a bit of smoky oak on
> the finish. *"A-"

Turgy is a new name to me.
I love the St Julien Lagrange, but have had poor luck overall with the
Pomerol of same name.
Glad at least the Ramey worked out!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 8, 12:10�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Mar 8, 9:11�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > While fixing dinner I opened a bottle of Michel Turgy NV Brut Blanc de
> > Blanc last night. �I visited Turgy in Mesnil-Sur-Oger many years ago
> > on my first trip to Champagne and we had a delightful time as I
> > enjoyed his artisinal Champagne. �This is a place where they still
> > hand disgorge against a cement wall in the cave, hand dosage and hand
> > cork. �The wine was a bit simple with some �slightly old apple flavors
> > a bit of buttered toast and a very soft mousse. �Not as good as I
> > remembered. "C+/B-"

> > 1995 Chateau Lagrange Pomerol-showing a bit of age with a brickish
> > color and pronounced leather and cedar notes on the nose. �A bit tight
> > on the palate that opened up a bit after some air but still a bit
> > short on fruit. �MOre secondary flavors of cedar, tea, and tobacco. �I
> > retasted this morning with no improvement. �Off bottle or over the
> > hill?? �"C+"

> > 2005 Ramey Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon-Big nose of ripe black
> > cherry and blackberries. �Smooth and lush on the palate with big black
> > fruit flavors and plenty of sweet cassis with a bit of smoky oak on
> > the finish. �"A-"

> Turgy is a new name to me.
> I love the St Julien Lagrange, but have had poor luck overall with the
> Pomerol of same name.
> Glad at least the Ramey worked out!- Hide quoted text -

Turgy is neighbor (albeit a very small one) of Krug in Mesnil-Sur-Oger
in the Cote de Blancs
http://www.champagne-turgy.com/
Ramey is a long time favorite of mine both his reds and whites are
terrific.