Old 19-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Michael Pronay

Default No more cork taints for sparklers!

Chandon Australia and Seppelt decided to take a revolutionary step
for their respective top wines.

Take a look at the slip label at the first pic:

http://www.wineoftheweek.com/murray/0404chandon.html

M.

Old 19-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Mike Tommasi

On 19 Aug 2004 08:08:40 GMT, Michael Pronay wrote:

Chandon Australia and Seppelt decided to take a revolutionary step
for their respective top wines.

Take a look at the slip label at the first pic:

http://www.wineoftheweek.com/murray/0404chandon.html

Death to the cork I say.

Mike
(another bottle ruined last night, a Coteaux du Languedoc by Domaine
Leyris Maizieres, must have had TCA in milligram quantities, never had
a bottle so strongly tainted).

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Old 19-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Karen

"Michael Pronay" wrote in message
Chandon Australia and Seppelt decided to take a revolutionary step
for their respective top wines.

Take a look at the slip label at the first pic:

http://www.wineoftheweek.com/murray/0404chandon.html

M.

Let's hope others follow in their footsteps! As much as I enjoy the sound of
the cork popping out of the bottle, I don't like being disappointed when the
wine is tainted by the cork.

Karen

Old 19-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Martin Field

"Michael Pronay" wrote in message
Chandon Australia and Seppelt decided to take a

revolutionary step
for their respective top wines.

Take a look at the slip label at the first pic:

http://www.wineoftheweek.com/murray/0404chandon.html

M.

Michael - I can't understand why consumers have accepted
cork-tainted wines for so long with such reatraint. If 5%
plus of milk or eggs or meat was tainted there'd be a public
outcry. Here is review I wrote in June of crown sealed
Seppelt bubbly

Martin

Seppelt Show Sparkling Shiraz 1994 $65.

To be released July 1 under a choice of crown seal (like a
beer bottle top.) or cork. This one had the crown seal.
Great Western, Victoria. Aged eight and a half years on
lees. Medium red, purplish foam. Fragrant lifted nose of
blackberries and spice. Creamy mouthfeel, more berries,
beautifully balanced, long delicious aftertaste. I've tasted
these wines back to the '46 vintage - all brilliant. Cellar
to 2024.

Old 20-08-2004, 02:47 AM
Dan the Man

Mike Tommasi wrote in message . ..
On 19 Aug 2004 08:08:40 GMT, Michael Pronay wrote:

Chandon Australia and Seppelt decided to take a revolutionary step
for their respective top wines.

Take a look at the slip label at the first pic:

http://www.wineoftheweek.com/murray/0404chandon.html

Death to the cork I say.

Mike
(another bottle ruined last night, a Coteaux du Languedoc by Domaine
Leyris Maizieres, must have had TCA in milligram quantities, never had
a bottle so strongly tainted).

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Amen. The tide is turning strongly against the old cork. I just read a
report in today's Reading Eagle (local paper) that Hogue of Washington
is starting to switch to screw caps for several lines of their wine. I
have yet to taste a wine stopped with synth cork that was tainted in
any way.

Dan-O

Old 20-08-2004, 06:17 AM
Tom S

"Karen" wrote in message
m...
As much as I enjoy the sound of
the cork popping out of the bottle, I don't like being disappointed when

the
wine is tainted by the cork.

FWIW, when I open a bottle of either Champagne or champagne ;^) you will
_never_ hear the cork *pop*. Too frequently that pop is accompanied by a
rush of bubbly wine that ends up going to waste on the floor, table etc., so
I carefully release the excess pressure _slowly_ when withdrawing the cork.
For similar reason, I pour sparkling wines down the side of a tilted glass.
Those bubbles are very expensive, and I want the full experience of them in
my _mouth_ - not propelling the wine to waste over the brim of the glass!

Tom S

Old 20-08-2004, 06:51 AM
Ron Lel

"Michael Pronay" wrote in message
Chandon Australia and Seppelt decided to take a revolutionary step
for their respective top wines.

Take a look at the slip label at the first pic:

http://www.wineoftheweek.com/murray/0404chandon.html

M.

Nope! Categorically refuse to buy any wine bottled under stelvin or worse
still this abomination you describe, Michael.

Ron Lel

Old 20-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Ron Lel,

le/on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 05:51:52 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

"Michael Pronay" wrote in message
Chandon Australia and Seppelt decided to take a revolutionary step
for their respective top wines.

Take a look at the slip label at the first pic:

http://www.wineoftheweek.com/murray/0404chandon.html

M.

Nope! Categorically refuse to buy any wine bottled under stelvin or worse
still this abomination you describe, Michael.

You mean, you LIKE your wine tasting of wet dog?

Ah well no accounting for tastes. Just remind me when you write TNs.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Old 20-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Bill Spohn

Nope! Categorically refuse to buy any wine bottled under stelvin or worse
still this abomination you describe, Michael.

This represents the reactionary end of the spectrum that says "The new closures
might cause some taint or degradation in the wine"

Of course that ignores the fact that corks undeniably DO cause the same thing,
and with a frequncy that many find unacceptable.

Me. I'm a fence sitter. I'd be delighted to see an end to TCA spoilage (I am
sensitive to it but so much that I can't try a wine that has it - you just
can't possibly evaluate a TCA affected wine). OTOH, I would not want to see an
alternative closure with it's own problems.

Time will tell, I suppose.

[Bloomberg] Chipotle Faces No-Win Scenario as Crisis Taints Its Every Move Ubiquitous Mexican Cooking 0 17-03-2016 10:03 AM
[TN] Two sparklers Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 26-02-2008 04:53 PM
Sparklers Lawrence Leichtman Wine 8 03-09-2006 04:23 AM
Mango Mint Sparklers yankeegirL425 Recipes (moderated) 0 20-08-2005 05:37 AM
MANGO MINT SPARKLERS yankeegirL425 Recipes 0 19-08-2005 06:54 AM