Larry

Default food /wine pairing website?

I think a short while back someone posted a site that helped you find
a good wine match for a large assortment of foods. I think I am
starting to be a little more particular about match ups especially
when company is coming.

Most of my wines are cabs and shirazes and often to "big" for some of
the dishes I'm serving.

TIA

Larry
Southern Ontario
Mike Tommasi

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:23:38 -0400, Larry > wrote:

>I think a short while back someone posted a site that helped you find
>a good wine match for a large assortment of foods. I think I am
>starting to be a little more particular about match ups especially
>when company is coming.
>
>Most of my wines are cabs and shirazes and often to "big" for some of
>the dishes I'm serving.

Pairing is an art, and no web site can give you any really useful
guidelines. There are too many good matches, and the game has no rules
(even vinegar, spinach, artichokes and olives can be matched, but it
takes some skill).

Big cabs and syrahs can never be too big for food, though they may
overpower some foods, I would not attempt them with quiche lorraine
;-)))

Lamb, roast beef, grilled beef, stewed beef will never fear any cab or
syrah, no matter how big. Better if done on the barbecue. Avoid too
many sauces, especially hot sauces. Keep it simple, use a typical mix
of herbs such as you would find in Provence...

What dishes are you serving ?

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Chuck Reid

Larry;

Before you answer Mike's question please remember that I too am resident of
Southern Ontario and if you make it sound too good, you may well find my
knees under your table! ;>))
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:23:38 -0400, Larry > wrote:
>
> >I think a short while back someone posted a site that helped you find
> >a good wine match for a large assortment of foods. I think I am
> >starting to be a little more particular about match ups especially
> >when company is coming.
> >
> >Most of my wines are cabs and shirazes and often to "big" for some of
> >the dishes I'm serving.

> Pairing is an art, and no web site can give you any really useful
> guidelines. There are too many good matches, and the game has no rules
> (even vinegar, spinach, artichokes and olives can be matched, but it
> takes some skill).
>
> Big cabs and syrahs can never be too big for food, though they may
> overpower some foods, I would not attempt them with quiche lorraine
> ;-)))
>
> Lamb, roast beef, grilled beef, stewed beef will never fear any cab or
> syrah, no matter how big. Better if done on the barbecue. Avoid too
> many sauces, especially hot sauces. Keep it simple, use a typical mix
> of herbs such as you would find in Provence...
>

> What dishes are you serving ?
>
> Mike
>
> Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Mike Tommasi

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:51:10 -0400, "Chuck Reid"
> wrote:

>Larry;
>
>Before you answer Mike's question please remember that I too am resident of
>Southern Ontario and if you make it sound too good, you may well find my
>knees under your table! ;>))

Make that two extra pairs of knees, I have been known to turn up in
the strangest places. My sister live in TO, and my travels often bring
me to that part of the world...

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Larry

>Pairing is an art, and no web site can give you any really useful
>guidelines. There are too many good matches, and the game has no rules
>(even vinegar, spinach, artichokes and olives can be matched, but it
>takes some skill).

>What dishes are you serving ?

Thanks Mike,

I had a funny feeling that there might not be a simple answer. ;--)

I had a simple barbecue but was most concerned with the garlicky
souvlaki and greek salad. Usually I wouldn't care about the match up;
I'd just find a good shiraz or cab, maybe a zin. Maybe I'm moving up
the evolutionary wine scale from amateur ;-}

Glad to hear all my cabs and shirazes will not usually "destroy" a
meal. But I think I better put a few other types in my cellar for
quick access.

I think Bill or Ian posted a very general rule of thumb list about red
vs white use. I guess I need to know is there a general rule for
using a light vs medium vs "bigger" reds or certain types such as a
zin can handle spicer foods.

How do many of the group members find their best pairings? Trial and
error, recommendations or books or ...?

TIA

Larry
Southern Ontario

Larry

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:51:10 -0400, "Chuck Reid"
> wrote:

>Larry;
>
>Before you answer Mike's question please remember that I too am resident of
>Southern Ontario and if you make it sound too good, you may well find my
>knees under your table! ;>))

Hi Chuck,

Not sure how many S. Ontario members there are in this group. Who
knows, we might be the closest to each other.

I'm a teacher and have the summer off (can feel the daggers piercing
my back ;-}. Not sure what kind of schedule you have this summer but
I think you should take me on a little tasting tour one day. As I've
said, I'm going to Jordan in a few weeks with my wife. This will be
only my second visit to a winery (Peller being the first)

They have a tour at Cave Springs for me and a spa for her.
AHHHHH life is good.

All the best,

Larry
Southern Ontario

Mike Tommasi

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:03:38 -0400, Larry > wrote:

>>Pairing is an art, and no web site can give you any really useful
>>guidelines. There are too many good matches, and the game has no rules
>>(even vinegar, spinach, artichokes and olives can be matched, but it
>>takes some skill).

>>What dishes are you serving ?

>Thanks Mike,
>
>I had a funny feeling that there might not be a simple answer. ;--)
>

>I had a simple barbecue but was most concerned with the garlicky
>souvlaki and greek salad. Usually I wouldn't care about the match up;
>I'd just find a good shiraz or cab, maybe a zin. Maybe I'm moving up
>the evolutionary wine scale from amateur ;-}
>
>Glad to hear all my cabs and shirazes will not usually "destroy" a
>meal. But I think I better put a few other types in my cellar for
>quick access.
>
>I think Bill or Ian posted a very general rule of thumb list about red
>vs white use. I guess I need to know is there a general rule for
>using a light vs medium vs "bigger" reds or certain types such as a
>zin can handle spicer foods.

For reds, I think the best way to look at things, at the most basic
level, is to check the balance of the wines and the main
characteristic of the dish.

A big red, meaning with lots of concentration and lots of tannin
(whether rounded or still punchy) will not go well with a very fatty
dish, like pork roast. The same would be true for a sweet wine. For
that pig roast, look for a red with more acidity and less tannin, not
quite a pinot noir, too delicate, more like a gamay with a very
pleasant aroma and just the zing it takes to cut through the
(delicious) fat. OTOH, the same big red will do wonders for a well
seasoned rib of beef on the barbecue, and if it is a cab or a syrah,
lamb roasted with garlic will be superb. The same goes for other big
reds, like a mourvedre ? ;-))

It's all trial and error, but dont invent rules on the way, because
you will find that even once you get the hang of it, things that you
think will not work together, will surprise you. That's the fun of
wine, you can never know everything, or even half of everything...

Mike

Mike

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Pantheras

Larry wrote:

> Glad to hear all my cabs and shirazes will not usually "destroy" a
> meal. But I think I better put a few other types in my cellar for
> quick access.
>
> I think Bill or Ian posted a very general rule of thumb list about red
> vs white use. I guess I need to know is there a general rule for
> using a light vs medium vs "bigger" reds or certain types such as a
> zin can handle spicer foods.
>
> How do many of the group members find their best pairings? Trial and
> error, recommendations or books or ...?

The best way to find pairings is to save all of Ian's posts.
I personally would never serve a Cabernet or Shiraz with anything
lighter than Dover Sole.

Chuck Reid

Larry;

I'm off to Scotland this week but on my return after the British Open why
don't we try and hook up and tour some of the Niagara wineries...... if
there are others interested, why don't we make it a group tour? Be back on
the 21st.
--

"Larry" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:51:10 -0400, "Chuck Reid"
> > wrote:
>
> >Larry;
> >
> >Before you answer Mike's question please remember that I too am resident

of
> >Southern Ontario and if you make it sound too good, you may well find my
> >knees under your table! ;>))

> Hi Chuck,
>
> Not sure how many S. Ontario members there are in this group. Who
> knows, we might be the closest to each other.
>
> I'm a teacher and have the summer off (can feel the daggers piercing
> my back ;-}. Not sure what kind of schedule you have this summer but
> I think you should take me on a little tasting tour one day. As I've
> said, I'm going to Jordan in a few weeks with my wife. This will be
> only my second visit to a winery (Peller being the first)
>
> They have a tour at Cave Springs for me and a spa for her.
> AHHHHH life is good.
>
> All the best,
>
> Larry
> Southern Ontario

Larry

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:54:55 -0400, "Chuck Reid"
> wrote:

>Larry;
>
>I'm off to Scotland this week but on my return after the British Open why
>don't we try and hook up and tour some of the Niagara wineries...... if
>there are others interested, why don't we make it a group tour? Be back on
>the 21st.

Sounds good Chuck. Ok, everyone within a three hour driving
distance(or crazier people) to Niagara, Ontario is invited to Chuck
and Larry's first annual tour ;-}

Don't get hit by a golf ball and ruin it Chuck!

Larry
Southern Ontario

Mark Lipton

Larry wrote:

> I had a simple barbecue but was most concerned with the garlicky
> souvlaki and greek salad. Usually I wouldn't care about the match up;
> I'd just find a good shiraz or cab, maybe a zin. Maybe I'm moving up
> the evolutionary wine scale from amateur ;-}

The garlicky souvlaki should go well with Zin or Shiraz. The salad is a
tougher match, assuming that it's dressed with lemon juice and has feta
in it. Either a very acidic white wine or water would be my choice.

> How do many of the group members find their best pairings? Trial and
> error, recommendations or books or ...?

A decent start is Hugh Johnson's pocket wine guide, which contains a
carefully research set of food/wine recommendations, albeit one focused
primarily on European cooking. As Bill (Pantheras) said, Ian's
recommendations here in alt.food.wine are a very useful source of
information. Lastly, experimentation is good, too!

Mark Lipton

Food pairing with wine Tom Wine 4 20-03-2006 03:43 AM
Food/Wine pairing - Valpolicella Dick R. Wine 50 31-03-2005 09:04 PM
Wine/Food pairing... Max Mustermann Wine 23 07-10-2004 02:59 AM
Emergency Food/Wine pairing Dick R. Wine 12 01-07-2004 03:12 AM
Food and Wine Pairing Terry Wine 1 26-01-2004 08:45 PM