Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Food pairing with wine

What food would you pair with the following wines?

Red Zinfandel

Sangiovese

Muscat

Tom
--

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY

Posted to alt.food.wine

Tom wrote:
> What food would you pair with the following wines?
>
> Red Zinfandel

Lamb

> Sangiovese

Lamb

> Muscat

Asperagus

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Tom" > wrote in message
> What food would you pair with the following wines?
>
> Red Zinfandel
>
> Sangiovese
>
> Muscat
>
> Tom
> --

Try this site if you are starting out with pairings:

http://www.andreaimmer.com/

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 13:13:25 -0500, "Tom" > wrote:

>What food would you pair with the following wines?

I try to avoid the prevailing wisdom that there is some "perfect" or
"required" wine to go with a specific food. There's an incredible
range of tastes in any varietal and specific recommendations often get
bogged down in questions of regional availability.

>Red Zinfandel

There's a dead heat in my wine-loving heart between Shiraz and good
Zinfandel. But, Zins have a lot more range of quality, tastes, tones
and notes than Shiraz. What might work like a champ with Cline Old
Vine would be just tolerable with Seghesio, and would be overpowered
by Ridge Geyserville. And, I've been a bit of a believer that a lot of
Turley's simply are too much for a meal.

That being said, I like red Zins with almost any red meat. Cabs go
better with steaks, but zins do the job with all sorts of meals
ranging from burgers to stews to Steak Diane. There's not much that
won't get along with zins. IMHO YMMV.

>Sangiovese

There's a range of sangiovese that spans really good things in my
taster to some really rank "rubber-boot" notes that I simply abhor.
New world Sangiovese is often better for me than classic Italian
wines. (Please note that this is more likely due to poor travel and
limited availability in the "heartland" where I'm likely to find a
bottle of Italian.)

As a primarily Italian varietal, it always works with Italian foods.
Better with classic red sauced pastas, but not at all bad with things
like osso buco. I even drink it with white sauced Italian dishes and
it works great to cut the richness of things like carbonara. IMHO.

>Muscat

All of that preaching above and here I must admit to being a Muscat
virgin. Maybe next year.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Tom wrote:
> What food would you pair with the following wines?
>
> Red Zinfandel

Spicy foods such as Mexican
Bold foods such as a good steak

> Sangiovese

Zesty Italian (red sauces)
Most any dish not bold enough for a Zin.

Since I don't really like whites that much I tend to drink sangiovese
for many meals where a lighter wine is preferred.

> Muscat

Dunno. Don't drink it.