Xyzsch

Default TN: Margaux Mania

Most of Dale's Margaux notes snipped.

>1970 Rauzan Ségla (2nd growth)
>Light cigarbox nose, red fruit seems a bit past its prime. Somewhat acidic.
>Probably better 5-10 years ago, but an aging lady fading gracefully. B

I tried a bottle of 70 Lascombes this summer in Minneapolis. I was surprised he
still had the bottle I gave him years ago.

Very light and elegant, with nose of light smoke. My only regret is that we did
not serve with a roast chicken.

What a surprise, from another Margaux second growth with a spotty reputation.

Tom Schellberg
Jaybert41

>Pleasant surprise seems to be the order of the day for 1970 Bdx. Even wines
>from estates with as you say spotty reps seem to be holding on, a bit over
>the
>hill but fading gracefully. In past year or so, besides the Rauzan-Segla,
>I've
>had the '70 L'Angelus (from a 375!) and Gloria, both held interest (the
>Gloria
>doesn't really have a spotty rep, but a good 33 yr old Cru Bourgeois is
>always
>a little surprising).
>
>I've heard good things about Lascombes over lst few years, think there rep is
>being restored.
>Dale
>
>Dale Williams
>Drop "damnspam" to reply

I actually had 1970 Gloria from a 375 this year and it definitely held
interest. I don't have much experience with mature or over-mature wines, but I
thoroughly enjoyed it and wish I could have it again!

jason