Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Cathleen serves 14 Margaux AC, plus Truchot, Margaux, Taittingermand Ployez-Jacquemart to SOBER

Cathleen hosted SOBER last night, with Steve acting as chef/grillmaster. Really fascinating tasting, with great food. We arrived to find some nice salami and pate on the table, and 2 Champagnes were passed (non-blind)

2000 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Rose
Really drinking well., beautiful red fruits, some floral notes, plenty of zesty acids, fine mousse. Very long. I can’t imagine this getting better though I am sure it will last for a while, really in a good place (Later Cathleen and I discussed how in general it seems roses do well with a few years age, but - counterintuitively to me at least- are less likely to do well in long aging). A-

Ployez-Jacquemart Champagne (I think this was a NV Brut, but not totally sure)
Crisp, light, minerally, refreshing. B+/B

On to the reds (blind)

Flight 1
Pretty clear these were Bordeaux from beginning

Wine #1- black fruit, cocoa, some wood, most approachable of the three. 2001 Ch. Palmer B+

Wine #2- firm, austere, woody, the tannins on the backend are raspy. This is in a grumpy place. I opined this was like most ‘86s 10-12 years ago. 2000 Ch. Rausan-Segla B-

Wine #3 -green herby notes on nose, some wood, also quite tannic. 2000 Ch. Palmer B

I think all of these will improve with time, but for now only the 2001 was any real fun.

About this time Steve served a truly unbelievably good curried carrot soup (from the Modernist Cuisine at Home).

Flight 2
Wine #1- lovely giving wine, dark fruit, elegant, good ripeness,. balanced. 1998 Ch. Palmer. A-

Wine #2 - Tannic, green pepper, dill, a bit volatile, by this point we knew it was Bordeaux, but reminded me more of not so great modern Rioja. 1995 Ch., Rausan-Segla B-/C+

Wine #3- still some oak, but good dark fruits, long finish. 1995 Ch. Palmer B+/B

A theme is emerging.

Flight 3
Wait a damn minute, this isn’t Margaux!

Wine #1 - very light color made us guess older than this is. Red fruits, sandalwood, smoke. Great acids, bright fuits, long finish, very good length. I guessed Chambolle, but Mark correctly got Gevrey. 2001 Truchot-Martin “Combottes” Gevrey-Chambertin. A-/A

Wine #2 - darker, riper, more tannic, someone (I think Craig) guessed Jadot early, but it took a few guesses to get vineyard. 2003 Jadot Musigny B+
(as good a 2003 as I’ve had)

About here we were chowing down on slices from a couple 3” Lobel porterhouses, with great polenta and mushroom ragout, plus some green beans.

Flight 4
Wine #1 Pretty intense green bell pepper, totally dominates the fruit, 1993 Ch. Rausan-Segla C+/C

Wine #2 Young fresh and vital, wellbalanced, 1986 Ch. Rausan-Segla A-

Wine #3 corked (too bad, seemed to be nice stuff underneath) 1986Ch. Palmer

Flight 5
Wine #1 corked 1985 Ch. Rausan-Segla

Wine #2 ripe, full, red berries, tobacco, good. 1982 Ch. Rausan-Segla B+/B

Flight 6
Wine #1 Pretty classic claret, redder fruit with cigarbox and forest floor, very nice and ready but not faded. . 1966 Ch. Rausan-Segla A-/B+

Wine #2 Full, powerful but elegant, 1983 Ch. Margaux A-

Wine #3 Thinner, a little ashtray over the dark fruit and decayed leaves, not bad but outclassed,. 1966 Ch. Kirwan B

Fantastic look at Margaux appellation, plus other fun wines and amazing food

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
<SNIP>

Nice notes, Dale! What a great bunch of wines, but bummer about those
corked bottles. One thing I wondered was that you didn't mention a WOTN
-- was it the Truchot? the Margaux?

We had that '83 Margaux some years ago and it was lovely but still
young. I can only imagine that it will continue to improve for more
years still.

I also found interesting your comparison of '00 to '86. My impression
was that '00 was not as high acid a year as '86 was, though it certainly
had the tannins of an '86. Do you see much similarity?

Thanks for the notes,
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:12:36 AM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:

> Nice notes, Dale! What a great bunch of wines, but bummer about those
>
> corked bottles. One thing I wondered was that you didn't mention a WOTN
>
> -- was it the Truchot? the Margaux?

The Truchot, the Comtes, the Margaux were standouts, hate to choose. But the 98 Palmer was probably the surprise of the night

> I also found interesting your comparison of '00 to '86. My impression
>
> was that '00 was not as high acid a year as '86 was, though it certainly
>
> had the tannins of an '86. Do you see much similarity?

Well, if I had to say I'd agree that 2000 is probably lower acid that 1986 (though I've tasted former since release, and by time I got into wine 1991 or so no one was opening 1986s, so very few tasted over first 12-15 years after vintage). So I though these reminded me of the 86s I tasted around 2000-2002, with the tough tannins - remember, this was before wines were unveiled. These 2000s didn't strike me as low acid when tasted (blind).
Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message

Flight 4
Wine #1 Pretty intense green bell pepper, totally dominates the fruit, 1993
Ch. Rausan-Segla C+/C
-------------------
I have a bottle of the 1994, which judging by the year, I should have
consumed some time ago. You have me worried now!
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:54:25 AM UTC-6, graham wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message

> Flight 4
>
> Wine #1 Pretty intense green bell pepper, totally dominates the fruit, 1993
>
> Ch. Rausan-Segla C+/C
>
> -------------------
>
> I have a bottle of the 1994, which judging by the year, I should have
>
> consumed some time ago. You have me worried now!
>
> Graham

Graham, I had 3 bottles originally and finished the last one in 2009 and it was near term then.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"lleichtman" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:54:25 AM UTC-6, graham wrote:
>> "DaleW" > wrote in message

>> Flight 4
>>
>> Wine #1 Pretty intense green bell pepper, totally dominates the fruit,
>> 1993
>>
>> Ch. Rausan-Segla C+/C
>>
>> -------------------
>>
>> I have a bottle of the 1994, which judging by the year, I should have
>>
>> consumed some time ago. You have me worried now!
>>
>> Graham

> Graham, I had 3 bottles originally and finished the last one in 2009 and
> it was near term then.

Oh dear!! Thanks!
At least it will be educational! It will be a month before the opportunity
presents itself to open it and I'll report back then.
Graham

Marcassin and Margaux Bi!! Wine 0 06-06-2010 02:20 PM
TN:SOBER does Gaia, Chave, Donnhoff, DDC, Soldera,Truchot,Mugneret,Overnoy, Sauzet, etc DaleW Wine 7 24-07-2009 09:08 PM
TN Ch. Margaux 1975 Cwdjrx _ Wine 8 12-01-2005 03:52 PM
TN Ch. Margaux 1975 Cwdjrx _ Wine 0 10-01-2005 04:55 AM
TN: Margaux Mania Xyzsch Wine 2 08-10-2003 02:10 AM