jmcquown

Default Squash Mania!

Thanks to recent posts by Wayne and Damsel, when I went shopping today I
loaded up on squash. I have yellow and zucchini and acorn. The butternut
didn't look that great (and they only had a few of them) so I'll grab some
of those the next time around. Now all I have to do is figure out how I
want to prepare what I do have. I'll probably use some of the crookneck for
my squash casserole... wonder if I could do it on the grill in cast iron? I
have a deep cast iron "chicken fryer" skillet. I'll have to give that some
thought.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 05:50:09p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Thanks to recent posts by Wayne and Damsel, when I went shopping today I
> loaded up on squash. I have yellow and zucchini and acorn. The
> butternut didn't look that great (and they only had a few of them) so
> I'll grab some of those the next time around. Now all I have to do is
> figure out how I want to prepare what I do have. I'll probably use some
> of the crookneck for my squash casserole... wonder if I could do it on
> the grill in cast iron? I have a deep cast iron "chicken fryer"
> skillet. I'll have to give that some thought.
>
> Jill

I love yellow summer squash, but detest zucchini. Lukewarm on acorn, but
love crookneck. I think the crookneck would be perfect for your casserole!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/20/2005 6:10:18 PM

jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 20 Aug 2005 05:50:09p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Thanks to recent posts by Wayne and Damsel, when I went shopping
>> today I loaded up on squash. I have yellow and zucchini and acorn.
>> The butternut didn't look that great (and they only had a few of
>> them) so I'll grab some of those the next time around. Now all I
>> have to do is figure out how I want to prepare what I do have. I'll
>> probably use some of the crookneck for my squash casserole... wonder
>> if I could do it on the grill in cast iron? I have a deep cast iron
>> "chicken fryer" skillet. I'll have to give that some thought.
>>
>> Jill

> I love yellow summer squash, but detest zucchini. Lukewarm on acorn,
> but love crookneck. I think the crookneck would be perfect for your
> casserole!

Oh, I already do use crookneck for the casserole. It's simple as can be,
too. Slice the squash (about 2 cups for a small casserole). I steam it for
a few minutes and drain it to get rid of some of the excess moisture.
Combine in a casserole with 1 c. grated Parm, 1 c. cornbread stuffing
crumbs, 1 c. milk, minced onion, 1 Tbs. butter, 2 eggs, salt & pepper. Mix
it all together and bake it at 350F for 1 hour until set and golden brown.

Acorn (as we previously discussed) has a different texture from butternut.
But I think I like it best when split and grilled.

Jill

sf

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:19:08 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> Oh, I already do use crookneck for the casserole. It's simple as can be,
> too. Slice the squash (about 2 cups for a small casserole). I steam it for
> a few minutes and drain it to get rid of some of the excess moisture.
> Combine in a casserole with 1 c. grated Parm, 1 c. cornbread stuffing
> crumbs, 1 c. milk, minced onion, 1 Tbs. butter, 2 eggs, salt & pepper. Mix
> it all together and bake it at 350F for 1 hour until set and golden brown.

When you get bored, try mixing zucchini and crook neck. They blend
perfectly. I often do it when steaming.
jmcquown

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:19:08 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Oh, I already do use crookneck for the casserole. It's simple as
>> can be, too. Slice the squash (about 2 cups for a small
>> casserole). I steam it for a few minutes and drain it to get rid
>> of some of the excess moisture. Combine in a casserole with 1 c.
>> grated Parm, 1 c. cornbread stuffing crumbs, 1 c. milk, minced
>> onion, 1 Tbs. butter, 2 eggs, salt & pepper. Mix it all together
>> and bake it at 350F for 1 hour until set and golden brown.
>>

> When you get bored, try mixing zucchini and crook neck. They blend
> perfectly. I often do it when steaming.

Oh, yes, it's great that way. I like to sprinkle a little oregano over the
steamed combo

Jill

sf

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:19:08 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> 1 c. milk, minced onion,

Is that 1 c each of milk and onion or 1 c milk and onion to taste?
sf

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:44:23 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> Oh, yes, it's great that way. I like to sprinkle a little oregano over the
> steamed combo

Try sprinkling on a little parmesean cheese too... mmmmm!
jmcquown

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:19:08 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> 1 c. milk, minced onion,

> Is that 1 c each of milk and onion or 1 c milk and onion to taste?

Onion to taste. I don't like a lot of onion; some people might like big
honking slices of it for all I know Join me in the rfc channel for more
info LOL

Jill

sf

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:53:08 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:19:08 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> 1 c. milk, minced onion,

> > Is that 1 c each of milk and onion or 1 c milk and onion to taste?

> Onion to taste. I don't like a lot of onion; some people might like big
> honking slices of it for all I know Join me in the rfc channel for more
> info LOL

I missed the party again... I had dinner after I posted and no one is
"home" on the rfc channel other than Crash and Kalahari who are always
there, but not really there. Kalahari told me he knows somebody has
gone into the chat room because he hears a bell. I guess it's like a
"you've got mail" sound.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 20 Aug 2005 09:23:42p, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:53:08 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>> > Is that 1 c each of milk and onion or 1 c milk and onion to taste?

>> Onion to taste. I don't like a lot of onion; some people might like
>> big honking slices of it for all I know Join me in the rfc channel
>> for more info LOL
>>

> I missed the party again... I had dinner after I posted and no one is
> "home" on the rfc channel other than Crash and Kalahari who are always
> there, but not really there. Kalahari told me he knows somebody has
> gone into the chat room because he hears a bell. I guess it's like a
> "you've got mail" sound.

Either that, or he's just hearing "bells"!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/20/2005 9:36:17 PM

jmcquown

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:53:08 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>> > Is that 1 c each of milk and onion or 1 c milk and onion to taste?

>> Onion to taste. I don't like a lot of onion; some people might
>> like big honking slices of it for all I know Join me in the rfc
>> channel for more info LOL
>>

> I missed the party again... I had dinner after I posted and no one is
> "home" on the rfc channel other than Crash and Kalahari who are always
> there, but not really there. Kalahari told me he knows somebody has
> gone into the chat room because he hears a bell. I guess it's like a
> "you've got mail" sound.

Here's a hint. Enter the room and then scroll up a bit past the "you have
entered chat" statement. Then when someone comes in or says something to
you hear a ding... if you're listening

Jill

sf

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 23:47:27 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> Here's a hint. Enter the room and then scroll up a bit past the "you have
> entered chat" statement. Then when someone comes in or says something to
> you hear a ding... if you're listening

I do the web interface and am disconnected after (?) time of
inactivity. I'm over there now.

Christine Dabney

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:23:42 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:53:08 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>> > Is that 1 c each of milk and onion or 1 c milk and onion to taste?

>> Onion to taste. I don't like a lot of onion; some people might like big
>> honking slices of it for all I know Join me in the rfc channel for more
>> info LOL
>>

> I missed the party again... I had dinner after I posted and no one is
>"home" on the rfc channel other than Crash and Kalahari who are always
>there, but not really there. Kalahari told me he knows somebody has
>gone into the chat room because he hears a bell. I guess it's like a
>"you've got mail" sound.

I can never find anyone there anymore either....

Christine
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Thanks to recent posts by Wayne and Damsel, when I went shopping today I
> loaded up on squash. I have yellow and zucchini and acorn. The butternut
> didn't look that great (and they only had a few of them) so I'll grab some
> of those the next time around. Now all I have to do is figure out how I
> want to prepare what I do have. I'll probably use some of the crookneck for
> my squash casserole... wonder if I could do it on the grill in cast iron? I
> have a deep cast iron "chicken fryer" skillet. I'll have to give that some
> thought.
>
> Jill

Grilled squash is fabulous. :-)
I bought some zuchinni and some portabello mushrooms when I bought the
new grill. They are slated for this afternoon.....

It's fine either straight with some herbs and spices sprinkled on them,
or if you pan fry it in the cast iron (which I have done), dredge it in
egg, then spiced corn meal or spiced flour and fry in olive oil with a
little butter.

Crookneck and pattypan are good that way too!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:19:08 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> Oh, I already do use crookneck for the casserole. It's simple as
> >> can be, too. Slice the squash (about 2 cups for a small
> >> casserole). I steam it for a few minutes and drain it to get rid
> >> of some of the excess moisture. Combine in a casserole with 1 c.
> >> grated Parm, 1 c. cornbread stuffing crumbs, 1 c. milk, minced
> >> onion, 1 Tbs. butter, 2 eggs, salt & pepper. Mix it all together
> >> and bake it at 350F for 1 hour until set and golden brown.
> >>

> > When you get bored, try mixing zucchini and crook neck. They blend
> > perfectly. I often do it when steaming.

> Oh, yes, it's great that way. I like to sprinkle a little oregano over the
> steamed combo
>
> Jill

I use dill weed, and a little sesame seed along with salt free lemon
pepper. ;-d
--
Om.

Syssi

"Wayne Boatwright" & jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> Thanks to recent posts by Wayne and Damsel, when I went shopping today I
>> loaded up on squash. I have yellow and zucchini and acorn. The
>> butternut didn't look that great (and they only had a few of them) so
>> I'll grab some of those the next time around. Now all I have to do is
>> figure out how I want to prepare what I do have. I'll probably use some
>> of the crookneck for my squash casserole... wonder if I could do it on
>> the grill in cast iron? I have a deep cast iron "chicken fryer"
>> skillet. I'll have to give that some thought.
>>
>> Jill

> I love yellow summer squash, but detest zucchini. Lukewarm on acorn, but
> love crookneck. I think the crookneck would be perfect for your
> casserole!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

I love ANY squash I can get my hands (lips, etc.) on!! I love acorn,
butternut, crookneck, zucchini, pumpkin, etc.. If it's a squash - I LOVE
it.

--
Syssi

Syssi

"Christine Dabney" <, sf <&, jmcquown wrote:
<snip>
>> I missed the party again... I had dinner after I posted and no one is
>>"home" on the rfc channel other than Crash and Kalahari who are always
>>there, but not really there. Kalahari told me he knows somebody has
>>gone into the chat room because he hears a bell. I guess it's like a
>>"you've got mail" sound.

> I can never find anyone there anymore either....
>
> Christine

=============

Well... don't feel bad... Jill ALWAYS leaves within 30 minutes of me jumping
on. I'm starting to get a complex. LOL

I can't seem to time things either.

--
Syssi

sf

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:17:01 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

> I can never find anyone there anymore either....

It's looking like we need to set a time to meet 9pm est, 8pm central,
7pm mountain, 6pm pacific. I know Honduras checks in from time to
time - sorry Alaska and Hawaii...

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c...s/timezone.htm
or
http://tinyurl.com/eahj

Maybe during the daytime on the weekend would be better, then we can
talk to Scotland, England, Switzerland and Italy too.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

sf is waving at Pandora -> here's the web interface
http://www.penguinpowered.ca/~vexorg...d.cooking.html
sf

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:58:20 GMT, Syssi wrote:

> I love ANY squash I can get my hands (lips, etc.) on!! I love acorn,
> butternut, crookneck, zucchini, pumpkin, etc.. If it's a squash - I LOVE
> it.

If Jill hasn't already claimed you as her long lost sister, I will! I
can eat a different squash daily and feel like I'm eating completely
different vegetables.
jmcquown

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:58:20 GMT, Syssi wrote:
>
>> I love ANY squash I can get my hands (lips, etc.) on!! I love
>> acorn, butternut, crookneck, zucchini, pumpkin, etc.. If it's a
>> squash - I LOVE it.

> If Jill hasn't already claimed you as her long lost sister, I will! I
> can eat a different squash daily and feel like I'm eating completely
> different vegetables.

We can be The Squash Triplets! Of course, Nancy is also my sister

Jill

TammyM

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:28:34 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:58:20 GMT, Syssi wrote:
>>
>>> I love ANY squash I can get my hands (lips, etc.) on!! I love
>>> acorn, butternut, crookneck, zucchini, pumpkin, etc.. If it's a
>>> squash - I LOVE it.

>> If Jill hasn't already claimed you as her long lost sister, I will! I
>> can eat a different squash daily and feel like I'm eating completely
>> different vegetables.

>We can be The Squash Triplets! Of course, Nancy is also my sister
>
>Jill

So now we have the Squash Triplets and the 1960 International Girls'
Consortium (Pandora, Nathalie et moi.) What's next, the Beet Brigade?

:-)

TammyM

jmcquown

TammyM wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:28:34 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> If Jill hasn't already claimed you as her long lost sister, I will!
>>> I can eat a different squash daily and feel like I'm eating
>>> completely different vegetables.

>> We can be The Squash Triplets! Of course, Nancy is also my sister
>>
>> Jill
>>

> So now we have the Squash Triplets and the 1960 International Girls'
> Consortium (Pandora, Nathalie et moi.) What's next, the Beet Brigade?
>

> :-)
>
> TammyM

Put Barb Schaller on the list for the Beet Brigade!

Jill <---ducking and running!

sf

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:37:13 GMT, TammyM wrote:

> So now we have the Squash Triplets and the 1960 International Girls'
> Consortium (Pandora, Nathalie et moi.) What's next, the Beet Brigade?

This is our version of female bonding. LOL
Syssi

, TammyM "jmcquown"& sf wrote, along w/:
Syssi wrote:

>>> We can be The Squash Triplets! Of course, Nancy is also my sister
>>>
>>> Jill

>> So now we have the Squash Triplets and the 1960 International Girls'
>> Consortium (Pandora, Nathalie et moi.) What's next, the Beet Brigade?

>> :-)
>>
>> TammyM

> Put Barb Schaller on the list for the Beet Brigade!
>
> Jill <---ducking and running!

You know... I don't think she'd do it... unless we could get a Beet Hat
made. Woo-hoo!

--
Syssi