Old 11-09-2008, 04:57 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Domprobst AP#10

I was rummaging around my cellar last night and came across six
bottles of 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Dombprobst AP#10 so I
popped it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and popped the cork.
Wow! I don't drink many Germany wines and certainly not a many Mosel
wines but this was a wine that I just couldn't stop drinking. Floral
notes on the nose with a bit of fresh peach. The wine was very smooth
and creamy on the palate with ripe apples, cinnamon, caramel and a
squeeze of lime. Brilliant. "A" on the Dale scale.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:22 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 11, 11:57�am, "Bi!!" wrote:
I was rummaging around my cellar last night and came across six
bottles of 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Dombprobst AP#10 so I
popped it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and popped the cork.
Wow! �I don't drink many Germany wines and certainly not a many Mosel
wines but this was a wine that I just couldn't stop drinking. �Floral
notes on the nose with a bit of fresh peach. �The wine was very smooth
and creamy on the palate with ripe apples, cinnamon, caramel and a
squeeze of lime. �Brilliant. "A" on the Dale scale.

Sounds great. I love Willi S, but mostly buy a bit cheaper, kabinetts
and spatlesen.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:37 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 11, 1:22�pm, DaleW wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:57 am, "Bi!!" wrote:

I was rummaging around my cellar last night and came across six
bottles of 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Dombprobst AP#10 so I
popped it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and popped the cork.
Wow! I don't drink many Germany wines and certainly not a many Mosel
wines but this was a wine that I just couldn't stop drinking. Floral
notes on the nose with a bit of fresh peach. The wine was very smooth
and creamy on the palate with ripe apples, cinnamon, caramel and a
squeeze of lime. Brilliant. "A" on the Dale scale.

Sounds great. I love Willi S, but mostly buy a bit cheaper, kabinetts
and spatlesen.

I bought these in private sell from a guy who needed to liquidate his
cellar to get cash. I paid $40/bottle for the six bottles along with
about 3 mixed cases of different stuff. I just checked the price
online and was shocked to see prices close to $80.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:04 PM posted to alt.food.wine

In article
,
"Bi!!" wrote:

On Sep 11, 1:22?pm, DaleW wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:57 am, "Bi!!" wrote:

[...]

Wow $40 for that. I never luck into deals that good.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:04 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 11, 11:57 pm, "Bi!!" wrote:
I was rummaging around my cellar last night and came across six
bottles of 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Dombprobst AP#10 so I
popped it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and popped the cork.
Wow! I don't drink many Germany wines and certainly not a many Mosel
wines but this was a wine that I just couldn't stop drinking. Floral
notes on the nose with a bit of fresh peach. The wine was very smooth
and creamy on the palate with ripe apples, cinnamon, caramel and a
squeeze of lime. Brilliant. "A" on the Dale scale.

Schaefer is amazing. I've only had a few of his wines (they're not
that cheap normally, and very hard to find) - but every bottle I've
opened has led to a mindblowing experience.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:56 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 11, 4:04�pm, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article
,

�"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:22?pm, DaleW wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:57 am, "Bi!!" wrote:

[...]

Wow $40 for that. I never luck into deals that good.- Hide quoted text -

It's amazing what the IRS can do!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:13 PM posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" skrev i melding
I bought these in private sell from a guy who needed to liquidate his
cellar to get cash. I paid $40/bottle

A steal... Price ex winery was 38.50EUR :-)
And yes, that was ranked as outstanding by wein-plus. Drink till 2015+

:-) Anders

Old 12-09-2008, 05:37 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 12, 10:13�am, "Anders T�rneskog"
wrote:
"Bi!!" skrev i ...
I bought these in private sell from a guy who needed to liquidate his
cellar to get cash. �I paid $40/bottle

A steal... Price ex winery was 38.50EUR :-)
And yes, that was ranked as outstanding by wein-plus. �Drink till 2015+

:-) Anders

Asa stated I don't drink a lot of German wines and probably only have
a couple cases in my cellar of mostly JJ Prum. I couldn't pass up the
Schaefer and the price was what the seller was asking. He had to
liquidate quickly to pay a tax debt. I didn't know him personally
prior to purchasing the wine but a mutual freind put us in touch. He
had a ton of great stuff at bargain prices.
Old 15-09-2008, 01:25 AM posted to alt.food.wine

In article
,

?"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:22?pm, DaleW wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:57 am, "Bi!!" wrote:

[...]

Was the IRS the motivation to sell?
Old 15-09-2008, 03:28 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 14, 8:25�pm, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article
,

?"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:22?pm, DaleW wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:57 am, "Bi!!" wrote:

[...]

Was the IRS the motivation to sell?- Hide quoted text -

Yes. The tax bill had to be paid and he had to raise money quickly
from qhat I understand. Probably not the first time that somwone has
sold off their collection at a loss to pay off a tax debt and
personally I'd rather give the wine away than have Uncle Sam seize it
and have it languish in a 100F warehouse for ten years while they sort
things out.

Old 15-09-2008, 04:36 PM posted to alt.food.wine

In article
,

?"Bi!!" wrote:

-

It's amazing what the IRS can do!

Was the IRS the motivation to sell?- Hide quoted text -

Yes. The tax bill had to be paid and he had to raise money quickly
from qhat I understand. Probably not the first time that somwone has
sold off their collection at a loss to pay off a tax debt and
personally I'd rather give the wine away than have Uncle Sam seize it
and have it languish in a 100F warehouse for ten years while they sort
things out.

I never seem to luck into these things. Good job hunting or was it a
friend?
Old 16-09-2008, 02:42 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 15, 11:36�am, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article
,

?"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:22?pm, DaleW wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:57 am, "Bi!!" wrote:

[...]

friend?- Hide quoted text -

A friend of mine knew this fellow and of his need for quick cash. I
went to the man's home and checked out his cellar...well kept at 55F.
He had a lot of high end California offerings, Opus One, Cardinale,
Dominus, Silver Oak, a few cases of first growth Bordeaux from
2000-2005 the cellar contents were fairly newer vintages from about
2000 on with a ton of California chardonnay from bulk producers so I
assumed that either he or his wife/"significant other" drank a lot of
chardonnay.
Old 16-09-2008, 04:30 PM posted to alt.food.wine

In article
,

?"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:22?pm, DaleW wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:57 am, "Bi!!" wrote:

[...]

So did you purchase more from him especially some of those high end cabs?
Old 16-09-2008, 06:05 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 16, 11:30�am, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article
,

?"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:22?pm, DaleW wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:57 am, "Bi!!" wrote:

[...]

So did you purchase more from him especially some of those high end cabs?- Hide quoted text -

No, I have enough Cal Cabs going back to the mid 70's to last two
lifetimes. I'm up to about 5500 bottles of various stuff and at 57 I
need to really get busy.....I don't want to leave too much for the
kids!
Old 16-09-2008, 08:07 PM posted to alt.food.wine

In article
,

?"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 11, 4:04?pm, Lawrence Leichtman
wrote:
In article

om,

?"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:22?pm, DaleW wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:57 am, "Bi!!" wrote:

[...]

I feel the same way. I have Burgundies, Bordeaux's and Cal Cabs that go
back to the early '80's and I'm 61. My kids are going " well wouldn't
like to just give us a few cases." As the old Scotsman said, "mind if I
filter them through my kidneys first?"

TN: Willi Schaefer Spatlese with accidental deconstructed turducken DaleW Wine 0 23-06-2014 07:34 PM
TN Graacher Himmelreich Auslese 1975, J. J. Prum cwdjrxyz Wine 0 03-01-2010 04:24 AM
TN ABC 1993 Reserve Chardonnay & 1975 Graacher Himmelreich Auslese cwdjrxyz Wine 1 01-03-2009 05:29 PM
TN: '02 Willi Schaefer DaleW Wine 0 20-12-2006 08:15 PM
TN: Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Kabinett w/ham Dale Williams Wine 8 17-04-2004 08:53 PM