FoodBanter.com

-   -   2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Domprobst AP#10 (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/161427-2005-willi-schaefer-auslese.html)

Bi!! 11-09-2008 04:57 PM

2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Domprobst AP#10

I was rummaging around my cellar last night and came across six
bottles of 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Dombprobst AP#10 so I
popped it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and popped the cork.
Wow! I don't drink many Germany wines and certainly not a many Mosel
wines but this was a wine that I just couldn't stop drinking. Floral
notes on the nose with a bit of fresh peach. The wine was very smooth
and creamy on the palate with ripe apples, cinnamon, caramel and a
squeeze of lime. Brilliant. "A" on the Dale scale.

DaleW 11-09-2008 06:22 PM

On Sep 11, 11:57�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I was rummaging around my cellar last night and came across six
> bottles of 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Dombprobst AP#10 so I
> popped it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and popped the cork.
> Wow! �I don't drink many Germany wines and certainly not a many Mosel
> wines but this was a wine that I just couldn't stop drinking. �Floral
> notes on the nose with a bit of fresh peach. �The wine was very smooth
> and creamy on the palate with ripe apples, cinnamon, caramel and a
> squeeze of lime. �Brilliant. "A" on the Dale scale.

Sounds great. I love Willi S, but mostly buy a bit cheaper, kabinetts
and spatlesen.

Bi!! 11-09-2008 06:37 PM

On Sep 11, 1:22�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Sep 11, 11:57 am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > I was rummaging around my cellar last night and came across six
> > bottles of 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Dombprobst AP#10 so I
> > popped it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and popped the cork.
> > Wow! I don't drink many Germany wines and certainly not a many Mosel
> > wines but this was a wine that I just couldn't stop drinking. Floral
> > notes on the nose with a bit of fresh peach. The wine was very smooth
> > and creamy on the palate with ripe apples, cinnamon, caramel and a
> > squeeze of lime. Brilliant. "A" on the Dale scale.

> Sounds great. I love Willi S, but mostly buy a bit cheaper, kabinetts
> and spatlesen.

I bought these in private sell from a guy who needed to liquidate his
cellar to get cash. I paid $40/bottle for the six bottles along with
about 3 mixed cases of different stuff. I just checked the price
online and was shocked to see prices close to $80.

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 11-09-2008 09:04 PM

2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Domprobst AP#10

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> On Sep 11, 1:22?pm, DaleW > wrote:
> > On Sep 11, 11:57 am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> >
> > > I was rummaging around my cellar last night and came across six
> > > bottles of 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Dombprobst AP#10 so I
> > > popped it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and popped the cork.
> > > Wow! I don't drink many Germany wines and certainly not a many Mosel
> > > wines but this was a wine that I just couldn't stop drinking. Floral
> > > notes on the nose with a bit of fresh peach. The wine was very smooth
> > > and creamy on the palate with ripe apples, cinnamon, caramel and a
> > > squeeze of lime. Brilliant. "A" on the Dale scale.

> > Sounds great. I love Willi S, but mostly buy a bit cheaper, kabinetts
> > and spatlesen.

> I bought these in private sell from a guy who needed to liquidate his
> cellar to get cash. I paid $40/bottle for the six bottles along with
> about 3 mixed cases of different stuff. I just checked the price
> online and was shocked to see prices close to $80.

Wow $40 for that. I never luck into deals that good.

Salil 11-09-2008 09:04 PM

On Sep 11, 11:57 pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I was rummaging around my cellar last night and came across six
> bottles of 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Dombprobst AP#10 so I
> popped it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and popped the cork.
> Wow! I don't drink many Germany wines and certainly not a many Mosel
> wines but this was a wine that I just couldn't stop drinking. Floral
> notes on the nose with a bit of fresh peach. The wine was very smooth
> and creamy on the palate with ripe apples, cinnamon, caramel and a
> squeeze of lime. Brilliant. "A" on the Dale scale.

Schaefer is amazing. I've only had a few of his wines (they're not
that cheap normally, and very hard to find) - but every bottle I've
opened has led to a mindblowing experience.

Bi!! 11-09-2008 09:56 PM

On Sep 11, 4:04�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �"Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > Sounds great. I love Willi S, but mostly buy a bit cheaper, kabinetts
> > > and spatlesen.

> > I bought these in private sell from a guy who needed to liquidate his
> > cellar to get cash. �I paid $40/bottle for the six bottles along with
> > about 3 mixed cases of different stuff. �I just checked the price
> > online and was shocked to see prices close to $80.

> Wow $40 for that. I never luck into deals that good.- Hide quoted text -

It's amazing what the IRS can do!

Anders Tørneskog 12-09-2008 03:13 PM

2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Domprobst AP#10

"Bi!!" > skrev i melding
I bought these in private sell from a guy who needed to liquidate his
cellar to get cash. I paid $40/bottle

A steal... Price ex winery was 38.50EUR :-)
And yes, that was ranked as outstanding by wein-plus. Drink till 2015+

:-) Anders

Bi!! 12-09-2008 05:37 PM

2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Domprobst AP#10

On Sep 12, 10:13�am, "Anders T�rneskog" >
wrote:
> "Bi!!" > skrev i ...
> I bought these in private sell from a guy who needed to liquidate his
> cellar to get cash. �I paid $40/bottle
>
> A steal... Price ex winery was 38.50EUR :-)
> And yes, that was ranked as outstanding by wein-plus. �Drink till 2015+
>
> :-) Anders

Asa stated I don't drink a lot of German wines and probably only have
a couple cases in my cellar of mostly JJ Prum. I couldn't pass up the
Schaefer and the price was what the seller was asking. He had to
liquidate quickly to pay a tax debt. I didn't know him personally
prior to purchasing the wine but a mutual freind put us in touch. He
had a ton of great stuff at bargain prices.

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 15-09-2008 01:25 AM

"Bi!!" > wrote:

> On Sep 11, 4:04?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >

> > ?"Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > I bought these in private sell from a guy who needed to liquidate his
> > > cellar to get cash. ?I paid $40/bottle for the six bottles along with
> > > about 3 mixed cases of different stuff. ?I just checked the price
> > > online and was shocked to see prices close to $80.

> > Wow $40 for that. I never luck into deals that good.- Hide quoted text -

> It's amazing what the IRS can do!

Was the IRS the motivation to sell?

Bi!! 15-09-2008 03:28 PM

On Sep 14, 8:25�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �"Bi!!" > wrote:
> > On Sep 11, 4:04?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > Wow $40 for that. I never luck into deals that good.- Hide quoted text -

> > It's amazing what the IRS can do!

> Was the IRS the motivation to sell?- Hide quoted text -

Yes. The tax bill had to be paid and he had to raise money quickly
from qhat I understand. Probably not the first time that somwone has
sold off their collection at a loss to pay off a tax debt and
personally I'd rather give the wine away than have Uncle Sam seize it
and have it languish in a 100F warehouse for ten years while they sort
things out.

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 15-09-2008 04:36 PM

"Bi!!" > wrote:

> On Sep 14, 8:25?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >

> > ?"Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > It's amazing what the IRS can do!

> > Was the IRS the motivation to sell?- Hide quoted text -

> Yes. The tax bill had to be paid and he had to raise money quickly
> from qhat I understand. Probably not the first time that somwone has
> sold off their collection at a loss to pay off a tax debt and
> personally I'd rather give the wine away than have Uncle Sam seize it
> and have it languish in a 100F warehouse for ten years while they sort
> things out.

I never seem to luck into these things. Good job hunting or was it a
friend?

Bi!! 16-09-2008 02:42 PM

On Sep 15, 11:36�am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �"Bi!!" > wrote:
> > On Sep 14, 8:25?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > Was the IRS the motivation to sell?- Hide quoted text -

> > Yes. �The tax bill had to be paid and he had to raise money quickly
> > from qhat I understand. �Probably not the first time that somwone has
> > sold off their collection at a loss to pay off a tax debt and
> > personally �I'd rather give the wine away than have Uncle Sam seize it
> > and have it languish in a 100F warehouse for ten years while they sort
> > things out.

> I never seem to luck into these things. Good job hunting or was it a
> friend?- Hide quoted text -

A friend of mine knew this fellow and of his need for quick cash. I
went to the man's home and checked out his cellar...well kept at 55F.
He had a lot of high end California offerings, Opus One, Cardinale,
Dominus, Silver Oak, a few cases of first growth Bordeaux from
2000-2005 the cellar contents were fairly newer vintages from about
2000 on with a ton of California chardonnay from bulk producers so I
assumed that either he or his wife/"significant other" drank a lot of
chardonnay.

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 16-09-2008 04:30 PM

"Bi!!" > wrote:

> On Sep 15, 11:36?am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >

> > ?"Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > Yes. ?The tax bill had to be paid and he had to raise money quickly
> > > from qhat I understand. ?Probably not the first time that somwone has
> > > sold off their collection at a loss to pay off a tax debt and
> > > personally ?I'd rather give the wine away than have Uncle Sam seize it
> > > and have it languish in a 100F warehouse for ten years while they sort
> > > things out.

> > I never seem to luck into these things. Good job hunting or was it a
> > friend?- Hide quoted text -

> A friend of mine knew this fellow and of his need for quick cash. I
> went to the man's home and checked out his cellar...well kept at 55F.
> He had a lot of high end California offerings, Opus One, Cardinale,
> Dominus, Silver Oak, a few cases of first growth Bordeaux from
> 2000-2005 the cellar contents were fairly newer vintages from about
> 2000 on with a ton of California chardonnay from bulk producers so I
> assumed that either he or his wife/"significant other" drank a lot of
> chardonnay.

So did you purchase more from him especially some of those high end cabs?

Bi!! 16-09-2008 06:05 PM

On Sep 16, 11:30�am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �"Bi!!" > wrote:
> > On Sep 15, 11:36?am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > I never seem to luck into these things. Good job hunting or was it a
> > > friend?- Hide quoted text -

> > A friend of mine knew this fellow and of his need for quick cash. �I
> > went to the man's home and checked out his cellar...well kept at 55F.
> > He had a lot of high end California offerings, Opus One, Cardinale,
> > Dominus, Silver Oak, a few cases of first growth Bordeaux from
> > 2000-2005 the cellar contents were fairly newer vintages from about
> > 2000 on with a ton of California chardonnay from bulk producers so I
> > assumed that either he or his wife/"significant other" drank a lot of
> > chardonnay.

> So did you purchase more from him especially some of those high end cabs?- Hide quoted text -

No, I have enough Cal Cabs going back to the mid 70's to last two
lifetimes. I'm up to about 5500 bottles of various stuff and at 57 I
need to really get busy.....I don't want to leave too much for the
kids!

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 16-09-2008 08:07 PM

"Bi!!" > wrote:

> On Sep 16, 11:30?am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >

> > ?"Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > A friend of mine knew this fellow and of his need for quick cash. ?I
> > > went to the man's home and checked out his cellar...well kept at 55F.
> > > He had a lot of high end California offerings, Opus One, Cardinale,
> > > Dominus, Silver Oak, a few cases of first growth Bordeaux from
> > > 2000-2005 the cellar contents were fairly newer vintages from about
> > > 2000 on with a ton of California chardonnay from bulk producers so I
> > > assumed that either he or his wife/"significant other" drank a lot of
> > > chardonnay.

> > So did you purchase more from him especially some of those high end cabs?-

> No, I have enough Cal Cabs going back to the mid 70's to last two
> lifetimes. I'm up to about 5500 bottles of various stuff and at 57 I
> need to really get busy.....I don't want to leave too much for the
> kids!

I feel the same way. I have Burgundies, Bordeaux's and Cal Cabs that go
back to the early '80's and I'm 61. My kids are going " well wouldn't
like to just give us a few cases." As the old Scotsman said, "mind if I
filter them through my kidneys first?"