Posted to alt.food.wine

Default books on Burgundy and Bordeaux

Many years ago my favorite books on Burgundy and Bordeaux were
The Wines of Burgundy by H.W. Yoxall and The Wines of Bordeaux
by Edmund Penning-Rowsell. These books are out of print and way
out of date. Does anyone have any current favorites?
Jim

Posted to alt.food.wine

Jim Mehl wrote:
> Many years ago my favorite books on Burgundy and Bordeaux were
> The Wines of Burgundy by H.W. Yoxall and The Wines of Bordeaux
> by Edmund Penning-Rowsell. These books are out of print and way
> out of date. Does anyone have any current favorites?

I like COTE D'OR by Clive Coates M.W. which has a copyright of 1997. It
is about 1000 pages long, but easy to read and navigate.

I also like THE WINES OF BORDEAUX also by Clive Coates with a copyright
of 2004. It is over 700 pages long and well organized. The Parkerites
likely will want one of Parker's books.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In message .com>
"cwdjrxyz" > wrote:

> Jim Mehl wrote:
>> Many years ago my favorite books on Burgundy and Bordeaux were
>> The Wines of Burgundy by H.W. Yoxall and The Wines of Bordeaux
>> by Edmund Penning-Rowsell. These books are out of print and way
>> out of date. Does anyone have any current favorites?

> I like COTE D'OR by Clive Coates M.W. which has a copyright of 1997. It
> is about 1000 pages long, but easy to read and navigate.
>
> I also like THE WINES OF BORDEAUX also by Clive Coates with a copyright
> of 2004. It is over 700 pages long and well organized. The Parkerites
> likely will want one of Parker's books.

I would add Anthony Hanson‘s Burgundy which, although again somewhat
out of date, is great for finding good value. The Bordeaux Atlas by
Duijker & Broadbent is in the same league in my view. There is
really no substitute for Cocks & Feret for the basic facts rather than
opinion.

Tim
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Making Sense Of Burgundy" by Matt Kramer. Like all of his writings easy to
read and lots of good information.

"Timothy Hartley" > wrote in message
> In message .com>
> "cwdjrxyz" > wrote:
>

>> Jim Mehl wrote:
>>> Many years ago my favorite books on Burgundy and Bordeaux were
>>> The Wines of Burgundy by H.W. Yoxall and The Wines of Bordeaux
>>> by Edmund Penning-Rowsell. These books are out of print and way
>>> out of date. Does anyone have any current favorites?

>> I like COTE D'OR by Clive Coates M.W. which has a copyright of 1997. It
>> is about 1000 pages long, but easy to read and navigate.
>>
>> I also like THE WINES OF BORDEAUX also by Clive Coates with a copyright
>> of 2004. It is over 700 pages long and well organized. The Parkerites
>> likely will want one of Parker's books.
>>

> I would add Anthony Hanson's Burgundy which, although again somewhat
> out of date, is great for finding good value. The Bordeaux Atlas by
> Duijker & Broadbent is in the same league in my view. There is
> really no substitute for Cocks & Feret for the basic facts rather than
> opinion.
>

> Tim

Posted to alt.food.wine

I'll strongly second both the sadly out of print Kramer "Making Sense"
and the Coates Burgundy book (I need to get mine back!). I can't say I
was as enthralled over Coates' Bordeaux book, though I liked parts .
And can't really comment on the Parker "Bordeaux", as my edition is the
1985 (occasionally useful, to check vineyard makeup on older bottles).

On the non-book front, I actually find Neal Martin's wine-journal.com
to be an excellent source of information re Bordeaux . I disagree with
him (sometimes vehemently) about some wines, but find the chateaux
profiles informative. He covers other areas, but Bdx is his clear
passion. I don't know of any website equivalent for Burgundy. Although
yakshaya.com has some good stuff, as does John Gilman's old brokerage
site http://bentleywine.com/news.htm. Actually the most enjoyable wine
reading I've done recently is John's "View from the Cellar" newsletter.
Certainly not comprehensive (it's a newsletter), nor cheap, but
informative passionate reading. (disclaimer I'm in an occasional
tasting group with JG).