Old 17-07-2011, 11:57 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bordeaux and white Burgundy in Sacramento

Saturday we went to dinner at the home of my old Bordeaux-buddy
Arvind. Great to see Arv and Jen again, and to meet the adorable 15
month old twins. They had some nice snacks, breads, and cheeses out,
which we enjoyed with the 1991 Drouhin Meursault-Perrieres 1er. Still
plenty of life here, mature but not fading, but not the most complex
bottle of mature white Burg around. Apple, hazelnut, moderate acidity,
so-so length. Good, and I didnít pay much, but nothing to look for. B

As Arv got grill going, we sampled the 1988 Ch. Maucaillou (Moulis).
Fresh, dark color, shows quite Cabernet-ish. Cassis, tobacco (green
and cured), leather. Pretty good finish, nice wine where those Ď88
tannins have resolved nicely. B+

With leg of lamb with rosemary (mint jelly on side), a great green
salad, sweet potatoes, and green beans, the 1982 La Dominique (St
Emilion). Iíve always enjoyed this, but this bottle seems especially
good. Not necessarily fresher, more complex, or longer than the
Moulis, but that Ď82 sweetness and lushness really stands out. Really
lovely, great on a nice night on patio (this year Sacramento is
amazingly temperate) with old friends.A-/B+

After dinner Betsy helped Jenn put Meribel and Ilsa to bed, then we
enjoyed a small glass of the Fonseca Bin 27. Chocolate covered
cherries, sweet but nott cloying, really good for a vintage character
port. B

Good night with old firiends (and new friends, though Ilsa burst in
tears at my presence at first).

usual disclaimers apply