Wine (alt.food.wine) Devoted to the discussion of wine and wine-related topics. A place to read and comment about wines, wine and food matching, storage systems, wine paraphernalia, etc. In general, any topic related to wine is valid fodder for the group.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-12-2010, 05:53 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,930
Default Holiday Dinner-Bordeaux Burgundy

Met a couple of wine friends for dinner last night. Menu included
crispy sweetbreads, rack of lamb and Dover sole. Wines were from our
cellar except the starter Champagne.

1999 Dom Perignon-Typical Dom with nice fruity style. Refreshing and
crisp with apples, pears and a hint of mineral on the finish. It was
featured at the restaurant and offered at a great price. "B+"

2002 Olivier Leflaive Le Montrachet-Started out great with powerful
lemon pie aromas and a nice earthy undertone but faded in the glass
within five minutes to an oxidized mess. Pity.

2004 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier Montrachet-Lean and racy at first with
zippy lemon-lime acidity but rounded out with time into a smooth, rich
polished Chardonnay with great citrus tones and chalky flavors. "A-"

1983 Ch. Margaux-Ruby red in the glass with very little brickish
color. Explosive aroma of black cherries and wildflowers. Stunning
on the palate. Cassis, sweet cherry, cedar and tobacco. The wotn. "A
+"

1982 Ch. Mouton-Dark inky color. Tight nose of earthy mushrooms and
cassis. Very powerful on the palate. Still a bit tannic with
blackberry, black currant and coffee flavors. Still years from
maturity. "A-"

1971 Ch. D'Yquem-Color of dark caramel. Botrytis aromas on the nose.
Tasty on the palate with burnt sugar and orange zest.

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2010, 03:06 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default Holiday Dinner-Bordeaux Burgundy

On Dec 15, 12:53*pm, "Bi!!" wrote:
Met a couple of wine friends for dinner last night. *Menu included
crispy sweetbreads, rack of lamb and Dover sole. Wines were from our
cellar except the starter Champagne.

1999 Dom Perignon-Typical Dom with nice fruity style. *Refreshing and
crisp with apples, pears and a hint of mineral on the finish. *It was
featured at the restaurant and offered at a great price. "B+"

2002 Olivier Leflaive Le Montrachet-Started out great with powerful
lemon pie aromas and a nice earthy undertone but faded in the glass
within five minutes to an oxidized mess. *Pity.

2004 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier Montrachet-Lean and racy at first with
zippy lemon-lime acidity but rounded out with time into a smooth, rich
polished Chardonnay with great citrus tones and chalky flavors. "A-"

1983 Ch. Margaux-Ruby red in the glass with very little brickish
color. *Explosive aroma of black cherries and wildflowers. *Stunning
on the palate. *Cassis, sweet cherry, cedar and tobacco. *The wotn. "A
+"

1982 Ch. Mouton-Dark inky color. *Tight nose of earthy mushrooms and
cassis. *Very powerful on the palate. *Still a bit tannic with
blackberry, black currant and coffee flavors. *Still years from
maturity. "A-"

1971 Ch. D'Yquem-Color of dark caramel. *Botrytis aromas on the nose.
Tasty on the palate with burnt sugar and orange zest.


83 Margaux, 82 Mouton, and sweetbreads in one night (the rest of wines
are pretty serious, too!)? I am VERY jealous.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2010, 03:08 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default Holiday Dinner-Bordeaux Burgundy

On Dec 15, 12:53*pm, "Bi!!" wrote:
Met a couple of wine friends for dinner last night. *Menu included
crispy sweetbreads, rack of lamb and Dover sole. Wines were from our
cellar except the starter Champagne.

1999 Dom Perignon-Typical Dom with nice fruity style. *Refreshing and
crisp with apples, pears and a hint of mineral on the finish. *It was
featured at the restaurant and offered at a great price. "B+"

2002 Olivier Leflaive Le Montrachet-Started out great with powerful
lemon pie aromas and a nice earthy undertone but faded in the glass
within five minutes to an oxidized mess. *Pity.

2004 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier Montrachet-Lean and racy at first with
zippy lemon-lime acidity but rounded out with time into a smooth, rich
polished Chardonnay with great citrus tones and chalky flavors. "A-"

1983 Ch. Margaux-Ruby red in the glass with very little brickish
color. *Explosive aroma of black cherries and wildflowers. *Stunning
on the palate. *Cassis, sweet cherry, cedar and tobacco. *The wotn. "A
+"

1982 Ch. Mouton-Dark inky color. *Tight nose of earthy mushrooms and
cassis. *Very powerful on the palate. *Still a bit tannic with
blackberry, black currant and coffee flavors. *Still years from
maturity. "A-"

1971 Ch. D'Yquem-Color of dark caramel. *Botrytis aromas on the nose.
Tasty on the palate with burnt sugar and orange zest.


PS I love the 83 Margaux. Have you tried the '82- I think everyone I
know with experience of both prefers 83. It used to be comparative
bargain, but it's super-expensive now.
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 20-12-2010, 03:32 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,930
Default Holiday Dinner-Bordeaux Burgundy

On Dec 18, 10:08*am, DaleW wrote:
On Dec 15, 12:53*pm, "Bi!!" wrote:





Met a couple of wine friends for dinner last night. *Menu included
crispy sweetbreads, rack of lamb and Dover sole. Wines were from our
cellar except the starter Champagne.


1999 Dom Perignon-Typical Dom with nice fruity style. *Refreshing and
crisp with apples, pears and a hint of mineral on the finish. *It was
featured at the restaurant and offered at a great price. "B+"


2002 Olivier Leflaive Le Montrachet-Started out great with powerful
lemon pie aromas and a nice earthy undertone but faded in the glass
within five minutes to an oxidized mess. *Pity.


2004 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier Montrachet-Lean and racy at first with
zippy lemon-lime acidity but rounded out with time into a smooth, rich
polished Chardonnay with great citrus tones and chalky flavors. "A-"


1983 Ch. Margaux-Ruby red in the glass with very little brickish
color. *Explosive aroma of black cherries and wildflowers. *Stunning
on the palate. *Cassis, sweet cherry, cedar and tobacco. *The wotn. "A
+"


1982 Ch. Mouton-Dark inky color. *Tight nose of earthy mushrooms and
cassis. *Very powerful on the palate. *Still a bit tannic with
blackberry, black currant and coffee flavors. *Still years from
maturity. "A-"


1971 Ch. D'Yquem-Color of dark caramel. *Botrytis aromas on the nose.
Tasty on the palate with burnt sugar and orange zest.


PS I love the 83 Margaux. Have you tried the '82- I think everyone I
know with experience of both prefers 83. It used to be comparative
bargain, but it's super-expensive now.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


I have had the '82 Margaux but honestly..the '83 rocked my world! No
doubt my wine of the year for 2010. The restaurant (The Refectory)is
our favorite place in Columbus and has been for many, many years. The
owner is a dear friend and he knows I like sweetbreads so he made sure
they wre on the menu for me and the Lyon trained chef knows how to
prepare them...yikes...bad for the purine content but oh so yummy.
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 20-12-2010, 04:04 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,849
Default Holiday Dinner-Bordeaux Burgundy

On 12/20/10 10:32 AM, Bi!! wrote:

I have had the '82 Margaux but honestly..the '83 rocked my world! No
doubt my wine of the year for 2010. The restaurant (The Refectory)is
our favorite place in Columbus and has been for many, many years. The
owner is a dear friend and he knows I like sweetbreads so he made sure
they wre on the menu for me and the Lyon trained chef knows how to
prepare them...yikes...bad for the purine content but oh so yummy.


You do drink well, Bill. I bought Jean a bottle of the '83 Margaux as a
present when she got her Ph. D. lo those many years ago (when the '83
was the current release) for the then princely sum of $35. We opened it
last year.... and it was corked! I'm glad that your bottle was
untainted.

Cheers!
Mark Lipton

--
alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 20-12-2010, 05:05 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,930
Default Holiday Dinner-Bordeaux Burgundy

On Dec 20, 11:04*am, Mark Lipton wrote:
On 12/20/10 10:32 AM, Bi!! wrote:

I have had the '82 Margaux but honestly..the '83 rocked my world! *No
doubt my wine of the year for 2010. *The restaurant *(The Refectory)is
our favorite place in Columbus and has been for many, many years. *The
owner is a dear friend and he knows I like sweetbreads so he made sure
they wre on the menu for me and the Lyon trained chef knows how to
prepare them...yikes...bad for the purine content but oh so yummy.


You do drink well, Bill. *I bought Jean a bottle of the '83 Margaux as a
present when she got her Ph. D. lo those many years ago (when the '83
was the current release) for the then princely sum of $35. *We opened it
last year.... and it was corked! *I'm glad that your bottle was
untainted.

Cheers!
Mark Lipton

--
alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net


If you ever get to Columbus on academic business (we do have a large
university here) you can pick the dinner wines from my cellar! I was
blessed to have grown up in a very ethnic area of Ohio where wine
making and wine drinking was encouraged. I worked in a wine store in
the late 60's while in high school for a guy with a great palate and a
better mind and I was also fortunate to marry a fantastic woman with a
good palate and the good sense to start buying and storing wine in the
80's. My corporate life allowed us to travel extensively to wine
destinations in Europe and the US and I was gifted great wine on a
regular basis. I also, upon retirement, made an investment into a
nice wine distributorship in Ohio which gave me even further access to
terrific wines. I only have a few bottles of 80's Bordeaux left and
much of my 90's purchases of Bordeaux centered around non-first growth
Chateaux. My cellar is aging and i'm trying to drink it while it's
still prime but it can be a real chore...:-). Help!!!


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barolo, Barbaresco, Bordeaux, Brunello and Burgundy Bill S. Wine 0 14-08-2011 03:38 PM
TN: Bordeaux and white Burgundy in Sacramento DaleW Wine 0 17-07-2011 11:57 PM
TN: Bordeaux, Tuscany, Burgundy, Galicia DaleW Wine 1 16-06-2008 02:49 PM
TN: Champagne, Bordeaux, Burgundy DaleW Wine 2 12-11-2007 07:51 PM
books on Burgundy and Bordeaux Jim Mehl Wine 4 09-09-2006 01:01 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017