abcic

Default Urgently Needed! [Potato salad recipe]

A really bity, tart-like potatoe salad. Something different than the
ordinary dry mustard.
email me
and thanks in advance
remove the *NOSPAM* from the email to reply

[Moderator's note: Please post recipes to the group as well as emailing
per the poster's request.]
Kate Pugh

abcic > wrote:
> A really bity, tart-like potatoe salad. Something different than the
> ordinary dry mustard.

I like to use vinaigrette to dress a potato salad. Mix olive oil, wine
vinegar, mustard, salt, black pepper, and a pinch of sugar to taste.
The tartness you're looking for can be added by using freshly-squeezed
lemon juice instead of some or all of the vinegar.

Sliced olives and chopped capers go well in this kind of potato salad.

Kake
abcic

thanks Kate; I never would have thought about the lemon juice instead of the
vinegar for the tartness. Thanks again.
abcic
"Kate Pugh" > wrote in message
> abcic > wrote:
> > A really bity, tart-like potatoe salad. Something different than the
> > ordinary dry mustard.

> I like to use vinaigrette to dress a potato salad. Mix olive oil, wine
> vinegar, mustard, salt, black pepper, and a pinch of sugar to taste.
> The tartness you're looking for can be added by using freshly-squeezed
> lemon juice instead of some or all of the vinegar.
>
> Sliced olives and chopped capers go well in this kind of potato salad.
>
> Kake

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

abcic wrote:

> A really bity, tart-like potatoe salad. Something different than the
> ordinary dry mustard.

Oh dear, there must be about as many potato salat recipes in Germany as
there are families! In the end you can probably just use all the left
overs, and mix them with potatoes and there youa are.

However, there are two quite different recipes that may show the
principle. Note that potatoes should always be peeled after (not before)
boiling to maintain flavour. For salad you need potatoes varieties that
are firm after cooking.

Cold Potato salat:

Dice the potatoes (about 10 mm), and mix with onion, pickles, tomato,
boiled peas or other legums, sweetcorn, boiled egg and any vegetable
leftovers. Make a dressing from mayonaise, horse raddish, mustard (Lions
mustard from Duesseldorf if you can get it, Dijon otherwise), salt,
pepper, paprika, cile pepper, majoram, vinegar and a neutral oil (canola
or similar). Decorate with quartered boiled egg (sprincle with paprika
for colour), parsely, chive. Goes well with a snack like (vegetarian)
sausage.

Warm potato salat:

Cut the boiled, still warm potatoes and a cucumber (the long ones used
for salad) into thin slices and mix with diced onions, add oil, vinegar
and a strong, clear broth. Spice with salt, pepper, majoram and a little
dill. Most of the liquid will be taken up by the potatoes after a few
minutes. This is a way to serve potatoes with a major hot meal at family
celebrations.
Kate Pugh

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum > wrote:
> Warm potato salat:
>
> Cut the boiled, still warm potatoes and a cucumber (the long ones used
> for salad) into thin slices and mix with diced onions, add oil, vinegar
> and a strong, clear broth.

Is this just a plain cucumber, or a pickled one (gherkin)?

Kake

Keith Michaels

This is my currently favorite potato salad from "NAJDA Arabic Cookbook".
I use Yukon Golds and slice them.

6 medium potatoes
1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp salt, or more
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
2 Tbsp chopped scallions
2 medium tomatoes

Boil potatoes 20 minutes in their skins. Peel while warm, and slice
or dice.

Mix oil, lemon, garlic, and salt. toss potatoes lightly in dressing
and add parsley and scallions. Serve at room temperature,
accompanied with with wedges of tomato. Serves 6.
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Kate Pugh wrote:

> Dr Engelbert Buxbaum > wrote:
> > Warm potato salat:
> >
> > Cut the boiled, still warm potatoes and a cucumber (the long ones used
> > for salad) into thin slices and mix with diced onions, add oil, vinegar
> > and a strong, clear broth.

> Is this just a plain cucumber, or a pickled one (gherkin)?

Plain.
Jennifer A. Tyler

I don't have quantities....I've always made this to taste....and it tastes
good

small red potatoes, boiled and chunked to whatever size you like
hardboiled eggs, chilled and cubed
mayo....or nayo....or whatever you want
dill pickles....usually two big fat Klausen's for a group sized bowl of
salad
pickle juice that's the tart secret... splash a bit of the juice in to
taste
tofu bacon crumbled up
Jane's crazy mixed up salt
cracked pepper

I chop up the pickles really small
For vegan, obviously take out the eggs....no harm no foul....
Jen

crab salad recipe needed MG[_1_] General Cooking 7 31-01-2008 03:12 PM
Help needed urgently! MoM Baking 5 01-01-2006 07:04 PM
Help needed urgently! MoM General Cooking 8 01-01-2006 07:04 PM
Urgently needed :) Recipe for Cherry Pineapple Pie Nexis General Cooking 2 26-11-2003 11:49 PM
Roast beef help needed urgently Erika General Cooking 29 07-10-2003 10:44 AM