Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default crab salad recipe needed

I have 12 blue swimmer crabs to shell, plus some bought, pre-shelled crab
meat, and I'm thinking of having a crab salad as an addition to a weekend
BBQ for my birthday

have googled and come up with several million results...one thing I have
realised is that I DON"T want a salad with any sort of creamy or mayo
dressing

does anyone have a tried and true recipe they are willing to share? It
would be nice if there was some "crunch" to the salad for added texture, but
no nuts (have a nephew with severe nut allergies) and no pork product added
(Muslim BIL)

TIA

--
MG
Adelaide

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

MG wrote:

> I have 12 blue swimmer crabs to shell, plus some bought, pre-shelled crab
> meat, and I'm thinking of having a crab salad as an addition to a weekend
> BBQ for my birthday
>
> have googled and come up with several million results...one thing I have
> realised is that I DON"T want a salad with any sort of creamy or mayo
> dressing
>
> does anyone have a tried and true recipe they are willing to share? It
> would be nice if there was some "crunch" to the salad for added texture, but
> no nuts (have a nephew with severe nut allergies) and no pork product added
> (Muslim BIL)
>
> TIA
>
> --
> MG
> Adelaide
> Australia

I have no idea how the following recipe will work with Australian 'blue
swimmer crabs,' but when North American "blue crab jumbo lump" crabmeat
(from the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico) is used, it's a wonderfully
delicious crab salad. And it's so easy and simple to make, what could
be better! <G>

"West Indies Salad" (crab salad)
http://www.saveur.com/food/classic-r...ad--49921.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/252hwh

Sky, who's very tempted to make some soon!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> MG wrote:
>>
>> I have 12 blue swimmer crabs to shell, plus some bought, pre-shelled crab
>> meat, and I'm thinking of having a crab salad as an addition to a weekend
>> BBQ for my birthday
>>
>> have googled and come up with several million results...one thing I have
>> realised is that I DON"T want a salad with any sort of creamy or mayo
>> dressing
>>
>> does anyone have a tried and true recipe they are willing to share? It
>> would be nice if there was some "crunch" to the salad for added texture,
>> but
>> no nuts (have a nephew with severe nut allergies) and no pork product
>> added
>> (Muslim BIL)
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> MG
>> Adelaide
>> Australia

> I have no idea how the following recipe will work with Australian 'blue
> swimmer crabs,' but when North American "blue crab jumbo lump" crabmeat
> (from the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico) is used, it's a wonderfully
> delicious crab salad. And it's so easy and simple to make, what could
> be better! <G>
>
> "West Indies Salad" (crab salad)
> http://www.saveur.com/food/classic-r...ad--49921.html
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/252hwh
>
> Sky, who's very tempted to make some soon!
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

thanks sky, looks pretty good...might have to add a few things to bulk it up
a bit for the crowd <s>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 7:40�pm, Sky > wrote:
> MG wrote:
>
> > I have 12 blue swimmer crabs to shell, plus some bought, pre-shelled crab
> > meat, and I'm thinking of having a crab salad as an addition to a weekend
> > BBQ for my birthday

> > have googled and come up with several million results...one thing I have
> > realised is that I DON"T want a salad with any sort of creamy or mayo
> > dressing

> > does anyone have a tried and true recipe they are willing to share? �It
> > would be nice if there was some "crunch" to the salad for added texture, but
> > no nuts (have a nephew with severe nut allergies) and no pork product added
> > (Muslim BIL)

> > TIA

> > --
> > MG
> > Adelaide
> > Australia

> I have no idea how the following recipe will work with Australian 'blue
> swimmer crabs,' but when North American "blue crab jumbo lump" crabmeat
> (from the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico) is used, it's a wonderfully
> delicious crab salad. �And it's so easy and simple to make, what could
> be better! <G>
>
> "West Indies Salad" (crab salad)http://www.saveur.com/food/classic-r...ad--49921.html
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/252hwh
>
> Sky, who's very tempted to make some soon!
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice- Hide quoted text -

Serves four??? I don't think so!!! I could eat the whole thing
myself. I LOVE blue crabs, actually any kind of crab is fine with me.

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

rosie wrote:

> On Jan 29, 7:40�pm, Sky > wrote:
> > MG wrote:
> >
> > > I have 12 blue swimmer crabs to shell, plus some bought, pre-shelled crab
> > > meat, and I'm thinking of having a crab salad as an addition to a weekend
> > > BBQ for my birthday

> > > have googled and come up with several million results...one thing I have
> > > realised is that I DON"T want a salad with any sort of creamy or mayo
> > > dressing

> > > does anyone have a tried and true recipe they are willing to share? �It
> > > would be nice if there was some "crunch" to the salad for added texture, but
> > > no nuts (have a nephew with severe nut allergies) and no pork product added
> > > (Muslim BIL)

> > > TIA

> > > --
> > > MG
> > > Adelaide
> > > Australia

> > I have no idea how the following recipe will work with Australian 'blue
> > swimmer crabs,' but when North American "blue crab jumbo lump" crabmeat
> > (from the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico) is used, it's a wonderfully
> > delicious crab salad. �And it's so easy and simple to make, what could
> > be better! <G>
> >
> > "West Indies Salad" (crab salad)http://www.saveur.com/food/classic-r...ad--49921.html
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/252hwh
> >
> > Sky, who's very tempted to make some soon!
> >
> > --
> > Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> > Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice- Hide quoted text -

> Serves four??? I don't think so!!! I could eat the whole thing
> myself. I LOVE blue crabs, actually any kind of crab is fine with me.
>
> Rosie

LOL!!! I hear that one! When I make 'west indies salad,' it never lasts
long at all. And unfortunately, it's not an inexpensive item at the
restaurants either and the servings are never large enough

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MG wrote:
> I have 12 blue swimmer crabs to shell, plus some bought, pre-shelled crab
> meat, and I'm thinking of having a crab salad as an addition to a weekend
> BBQ for my birthday
>
> have googled and come up with several million results...one thing I have
> realised is that I DON"T want a salad with any sort of creamy or mayo
> dressing
>
> does anyone have a tried and true recipe they are willing to share? It
> would be nice if there was some "crunch" to the salad for added texture, but
> no nuts (have a nephew with severe nut allergies) and no pork product added
> (Muslim BIL)
>
> TIA

Are you certain that crab meat is halal?
I wouldn't serve crab meat to a Jew, and when Mohamed founded Islam he
borrowed a lot of Judaism's dietary laws. If a food isn't kosher, it
probably isn't halal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"none" > wrote in message
news
> MG wrote:
>> I have 12 blue swimmer crabs to shell, plus some bought, pre-shelled crab
>> meat, and I'm thinking of having a crab salad as an addition to a weekend
>> BBQ for my birthday
>>
>> have googled and come up with several million results...one thing I have
>> realised is that I DON"T want a salad with any sort of creamy or mayo
>> dressing
>>
>> does anyone have a tried and true recipe they are willing to share? It
>> would be nice if there was some "crunch" to the salad for added texture,
>> but no nuts (have a nephew with severe nut allergies) and no pork product
>> added (Muslim BIL)
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Are you certain that crab meat is halal?
> I wouldn't serve crab meat to a Jew, and when Mohamed founded Islam he
> borrowed a lot of Judaism's dietary laws. If a food isn't kosher, it
> probably isn't halal.

I have absolutely no idea, but given that it's never come up in conversation
before, it's now something else I have to worry about

jeez

<s>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"none" > wrote in message
news
> MG wrote:
>> I have 12 blue swimmer crabs to shell, plus some bought, pre-shelled crab
>> meat, and I'm thinking of having a crab salad as an addition to a weekend
>> BBQ for my birthday
>>
>> have googled and come up with several million results...one thing I have
>> realised is that I DON"T want a salad with any sort of creamy or mayo
>> dressing
>>
>> does anyone have a tried and true recipe they are willing to share? It
>> would be nice if there was some "crunch" to the salad for added texture,
>> but no nuts (have a nephew with severe nut allergies) and no pork product
>> added (Muslim BIL)
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Are you certain that crab meat is halal?
> I wouldn't serve crab meat to a Jew, and when Mohamed founded Islam he
> borrowed a lot of Judaism's dietary laws. If a food isn't kosher, it
> probably isn't halal.

and replying again <g> according to this website, all crustaceans are halal

http://www.afic.com.au/Halal.htm#Haram

and here, an English website (he's Nigerian-English)
http://www.iccservices.org.uk/halal_...alal_haram.htm
Food made from the following substances is Halal unless containing or come
into contact with a haram substance:

a.. All plant and their products
b.. Halal slaughtered meat, poultry, game birds and Halal animals
ingredients
c.. All water creatures, fish, crustaceans and mollusks.
d.. Egg from acceptable birds only
e.. Non Animal rennet (NAR, culture) or rennet from Halal slaughtered
calves
f.. Gelatin produced from Halal beef bones or skins