Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Peanut noodles

(There's a blurry picture at
http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0006e4da )

Peanut noodles from a Vegetarian Times recipe for dinner. Yummy, but
could have used more sauce to help keep the noodles from sticking
together. Still, I'll make it again and play with the recipe some
more. The original recipe called for baked tofu -- baked tofu was
many times the price of regular, firm tofu (Regular was $1.25 for 14
oz., baked was $3.59 for about half that), so I marinated and baked
the tofu myself. Below is what I did; you can find the original
recipe in the April '07 issue of Vegetarian Times. There's almost
no added fat here, but it's not a low-fat food, so I didn't post it
to the fatfree lists.

We also had cucumber salad, but that picture came out even more
blurry than this one. (Cucumbers, a dressing of rice vinegar and
sugar, garnished with grated carrot that had also been sitting in
the dressing, but in a separate bowl.)

Southeast Asian Peanut Noodles

8 ounces flat rice stick noodles (I used fairly broad ones)
Peanut sauce:
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (I make my own from soy sauce, ginger, vinegar,
and sugar)
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I used 3 tablespoons, but it could have
used more), or 3 tablespoons creamy
1/4 teaspoon Sriracha or other hot chili sauce

2 teaspoons sesame oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
3 cups snow peas, trimmed
8-9 ounces of marinated, baked extra-firm tofu -- I marinated it in soy
and garlic, then baked at 350F for about half an hour, turning
occasionally, cut into small cubes
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup dry-roasted peanuts (I used unsalted)
Lime wedges, for garnish (optional)

Mix peanut sauce ingredients together well. Bring 6 cups of water to
boil in a large skillet or saucepan. Add noodles and stir to
separate, then remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5-6
minutes. Drain and set aside (next time, I'll rinse under cold
water to help keep them from clumping).

Add sesame oil to a skillet over medium-high heat, then add ginger
and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds or so. Add snow-peas and
stir-fry 3 minutes, then add tofu and cook until heated through,
about 1 minutes. Add sauce and cook for a couple minutes. Add
noodles and toss with sauce until hated through. Remove to serving
plate. Top with cilantro and peanuts, and garnish with limes.
Experienced Member

My mother use to make this peanut noodles at home. You can also try:

1. In a pot cook the spaghetti until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water until cooled. Drain well.
2. In a blender, puree the peanut butter with 6 tablespoons of the vinegar, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, the soy sauce, water, sesame oil, crushed red pepper, ginger and garlic. Transfer 1/2 cup of the peanut dressing to a bowl and toss with the noodles.
3. In another bowl, toss the celery with the cilantro and the remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
Put the noodles to bowls and drizzle with the remaining peanut dressing. Top with the celery and serve with lime wedges.
Member

It looks great, i try this recipe at home.
Senior Member

I never had peanut noodles in my life..but this recipe is looking quiet good..i'll try this to make this in next couple of days!
Member

Wow its a great recipe. i will try at home.

Member

Peanut Noodles wow Sounds different, Definitely i gonna try this especially for my children. Hope it give great different taste. After i getting this idea i hope we do noodles with any cashew paste, almond paste etc it gives innovative and different taste i suppose. Anyways thank you so much for this idea.
Experienced Member

Great dish, Definitely it will taste good and healthy too. Preparing with Peanut contains lots health benefits.

It contains iron, protein and fibre. So, it is good for diabetes patient diet.
It increases the heomoglobin level.
It use to help weight loss and gives energy
It helps to prevent cancer and heart diseases.