Old 13-03-2007, 01:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Default Peanut Sesame Noodles

I just perfected this recipe - Took me about 3 tries. Forgive the
use of lingune, but they actually work better than chow mein/lo mein
noodles.

Sesame Peanut Noodles Recipe By Steve Wertz - March 12th, 2007
Copyright (C) 2007 http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Yield: 6-8 servings
Nutritional Info: Not too bad for you
Allergy Sufferers: Consult with *your* lawyer, not mine

Noodles:
1 lb package Linguine

Sauce:
3/4 cup Peanut butter (smooth or crunchy, but not extra crunchy)
2/3 cup Chicken stock or (Chicken base is OK, don't use bouillon)
1/4 cup White or Red Rice vinegar (but not black)
2 Cloves Garlic
2 TS White or palm sugar
1 TB Light soy sauce (preferably Kim-Lan or Pearl River)
2-3 ts Grated ginger
2-3 ts Dark/toasted sesame oil
1-3 ts Huy Fong Sriracha or Huy Fong garlic chili paste

Garnish:
2 TB Sesame seeds (toasted fresh in a pan - DO NOT burn)
4 stalks Scallions - sliced thinly, parts of green OK.
Juiliened Diakon (optional)
Chopped Cilantro (optional)

While linguine is cooking, combine next 9 ingredients and bring to a
slow simmer over low heat stirring often until peanut butter
incorporates and sauce thickens. Remove from heat.

Drain linguine, add sauce and stir thoroughly. Toasted sesame
seeds, sliced green onions, daikon, and cilantro may be incorporated
into the mixture, or used on top for presentation.

Best after 1 day, and served at room temp or warmed. You can also
use cashew butter in lieu of peanut butter. Do not use tahini.

-sw

Old 13-03-2007, 02:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 01:58:58 GMT, Steve Wertz
wrote:

I just perfected this recipe - Took me about 3 tries. Forgive the
use of lingune, but they actually work better than chow mein/lo mein
noodles.

Sesame Peanut Noodles Recipe By Steve Wertz - March 12th, 2007

This is very close to what I do. My recipe is based on one from
Arthur Schwartz. One of his variations suggests using candied ginger
in the sauce, and I think it makes a great variation.

Christine
Old 13-03-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 02:14:12 GMT, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:02:08 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

One of his variations suggests using candied ginger
in the sauce, and I think it makes a great variation.

I actually have some of that. I get it dirt cheap, no sulfites
and nice and moist for $3/lb. A heck of a lot better than that
dried out stuff at the Chinese market. I'll try that next, for
texture. Taste-wise it probably wouldn't make much difference.

Actually, I think it does make a difference tastewise. But it might
just be me. When I use it in the sauce, I chop it up really, really
finely. And then when I blend the sauce together, I use an immersion
blender.
The last time I made it, the ginger was in extremely fine pieces, sort
of like a sandy texture in the sauce. It wasn't unpleasant at all,
and it did contribute a nice textural difference, at least to my
taste.

Christine
Old 13-03-2007, 02:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Steve Wertz wrote:
[...]

I haven't perfected it yet at all; I'll have to give yours a try. I
also use linguine noodles.

I just happen to have a quart of strong chicken stock in the fridge;
last time I didn't use any stock, that might be what was missing.

Is that enough chili? I don't think so. Unless your chili paste is a
*lot* hotter than mine.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 13-03-2007, 09:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Steve Wertz wrote in
:

I just perfected this recipe - Took me about 3 tries. Forgive the
use of lingune, but they actually work better than chow mein/lo mein
noodles.

Sesame Peanut Noodles Recipe By Steve Wertz - March 12th, 2007
Copyright (C) 2007 http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Sounds good, though I'm not good with chilli so I'd probably leave that
out. Might try Christine's suggestion of adding candied ginger.Need to pick
up some rice vinegar and sesame oil next supermarket visit, but I've got
some Hokkien noodles on hand which I would probably use rather than buy
linguine.

Might make some up to take for a couple of work lunches. I could have it
for dinner, but I'll have to make Rob something else as he won't eat this.
Anyway, thanks for the idea.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Old 13-03-2007, 11:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Steve Wertz wrote:
I just perfected this recipe - Took me about 3 tries. Forgive the
use of lingune, but they actually work better than chow mein/lo mein
noodles.

-sw

I wonder how pad thai noodles would work in this? I have almost all of the
ingredients on hand.

kili

Old 13-03-2007, 11:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:02:08 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

This is very close to what I do. My recipe is based on one from
Arthur Schwartz.

Anybody with a last name of Schwartz is OK by me.

One of his variations suggests using candied ginger
in the sauce, and I think it makes a great variation.

I actually have some of that. I get it dirt cheap, no sulfites
and nice and moist for $3/lb. A heck of a lot better than that
dried out stuff at the Chinese market. I'll try that next, for
texture. Taste-wise it probably wouldn't make much difference.

-sw (May the Schwartz Be With You)

I have candied ginger, too! Why didn't I think to put it in my fried rice,
yesterday. Great idea!

kili

Old 13-03-2007, 11:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

kilikini wrote:
Steve Wertz wrote:
I just perfected this recipe - Took me about 3 tries. Forgive the
use of lingune, but they actually work better than chow mein/lo mein
noodles.

-sw

I wonder how pad thai noodles would work in this? I have almost all of the
ingredients on hand.

kili

I think the thin rice noodles are too fine for this dish. Heavier sauces
go well with more substantial noodles.
Old 13-03-2007, 01:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

George wrote:
kilikini wrote:
Steve Wertz wrote:
I just perfected this recipe - Took me about 3 tries. Forgive the
use of lingune, but they actually work better than chow mein/lo mein
noodles.

-sw

I wonder how pad thai noodles would work in this? I have almost all
of the ingredients on hand.

kili

I think the thin rice noodles are too fine for this dish. Heavier
sauces go well with more substantial noodles.

Okay, thanks for the head's up, George.

kili

Old 13-03-2007, 02:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

wrote:

[...]

This is pretty close to my recipe. I use water instead of chicken
stock. I always inorporate tempered julienned carrot (I'll have to try
diakon) and tempered julienned snow peas, and I make it with soba
instead of linquini. And you are absolutely right that it is best
after a day. I always make mine the day before.

I serve it with this.

Salmon With Ginger Sauce

1 to 1 1/2 lb salmon fillet about an inch thick
1 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp Light soy sauce
2 tsp peeled, grated ginger
1 tsp Dijon mustard
chili paste to taste

Cut fish crosswise into 4 equal pieces and place in shallow dish.
Combine marinade ingredients and pour over fish. Cover and place in
refrigerator for 30-45 minutes. Spray broiler pan with cooking spray.
Remove fish from marinade, reserving marinade, and place fish skin
side down on broiler pan. Broil 10-15 minutes or to taste or until
fish flakes easily with a fork. Meanwhile, bring reserved marinade to
a low boil in a saucepan and reduce. When fish is done, pour marinade
over and serve with the recipe above.

Old 13-03-2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

I just perfected this recipe - Took me about 3 tries. Forgive the
use of lingune, but they actually work better than chow mein/lo mein
noodles.

Sesame Peanut Noodles Recipe By Steve Wertz - March 12th, 2007
Copyright (C) 2007 http://www.recfoodcooking.com

-sw

Steve this looks great. I appreciate the brand name recommendations,
too, ignorant wench that I am.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - snow pics added 3-3-2007
Old 13-03-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
I just perfected this recipe - Took me about 3 tries. Forgive the
use of lingune, but they actually work better than chow mein/lo mein
noodles.

Sesame Peanut Noodles Recipe By Steve Wertz - March 12th, 2007
Copyright (C) 2007 http://www.recfoodcooking.com

snip yummy sounding recipe

This looks good, Steve. I've got all the ingredients for it, too. Maybe I'll
make it tonight or tomorrow night.

Mary

Old 13-03-2007, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Steve Wertz wrote:

[...]

Steve,
Sounds good. I've save it. I'll give it a try
one of these days soon.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.

Old 13-03-2007, 04:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Steve Wertz wrote:
[...]

This is kind of like mine except in where to add the sesame flavor. I
toast about 1/4 cup sesame seeds and whir all but 1 tablespoon of them
into the sauce (blender mixed before cooking) and I don't put in the
sesame oil in the cooked sauce. Then when I go to dress the noodles and
serve, that's when I add the tablespoon of leftover seeds and the fresh
unheated 2 tsp. sesame oil. I find then that the sesame flavor is more
pronounced and not at all bitter or degraded. Oh, and some matchsticks
of cucumber and some chicken shreds would be nice tossed in there, too.

Melondy

Old 13-03-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian
Reg Reg is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:

I just perfected this recipe - Took me about 3 tries. Forgive the
use of lingune, but they actually work better than chow mein/lo mein
noodles.

Sesame Peanut Noodles Recipe By Steve Wertz - March 12th, 2007

Looks great. Saved for future use.

--
Reg