Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default What is Milk-oolong????????

Me, again. Maybe a dumb question: in an Oakland tea store my friend
bought something called Milk-Oolong. He though it was scented. I
thought it's flavor came from dramatic weather. What is it? It's
Taiwanese (Formosan?), no? I actually liked the "finish"; but, loathed
the "nose".
Thanks, all.
BTW, thanks so much for all the ITC information. I really learned so
much!
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Shen" > writes:

> Me, again. Maybe a dumb question: in an Oakland tea store my friend
> bought something called Milk-Oolong. He though it was scented. I
> thought it's flavor came from dramatic weather. What is it? It's
> Taiwanese (Formosan?), no? I actually liked the "finish"; but, loathed
> the "nose".

I think you're talking about Nai Xiang, which is made (at least) in
Taiwan and northern Thailand.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I think Alex recently identified JinXuan as the cultivar for the 'milk
fragrance'.

Jim

Lewis Perin wrote:
> "Shen" > writes:
>
> > Me, again. Maybe a dumb question: in an Oakland tea store my friend
> > bought something called Milk-Oolong. He though it was scented. I
> > thought it's flavor came from dramatic weather. What is it? It's
> > Taiwanese (Formosan?), no? I actually liked the "finish"; but, loathed
> > the "nose".

> I think you're talking about Nai Xiang, which is made (at least) in
> Taiwan and northern Thailand.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> Lewis Perin wrote:
> > "Shen" > writes:
> >
> > > Me, again. Maybe a dumb question: in an Oakland tea store my friend
> > > bought something called Milk-Oolong. He though it was scented. I
> > > thought it's flavor came from dramatic weather. What is it? It's
> > > Taiwanese (Formosan?), no? I actually liked the "finish"; but, loathed
> > > the "nose".

> > I think you're talking about Nai Xiang, which is made (at least) in
> > Taiwan and northern Thailand.
> >

> I think Alex recently identified JinXuan as the cultivar for the 'milk
> fragrance'.

Right. It's worth remembering, though, that the Jin Xuan cultivar is
used for a lot of oolongs these days.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

It very well could be jinxuan, but it's possible that you got something
flavored, too. You can tell if a tea is scented (according to my
understanding) if the flavor predominates in the first steep and fades
quickly after that. The milk flavor in jinxuan and qingxin often waits
until the third steep or so to develop fully.

Shen wrote:
> Me, again. Maybe a dumb question: in an Oakland tea store my friend
> bought something called Milk-Oolong. He though it was scented. I
> thought it's flavor came from dramatic weather. What is it? It's
> Taiwanese (Formosan?), no? I actually liked the "finish"; but, loathed
> the "nose".
> Thanks, all.
> BTW, thanks so much for all the ITC information. I really learned so
> much!
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

It must have been jinxuan. The flavor doesn't fade; it does become more
rounded, sweeter. I really liked this tea.
Shen
Alex wrote:
> It very well could be jinxuan, but it's possible that you got something
> flavored, too. You can tell if a tea is scented (according to my
> understanding) if the flavor predominates in the first steep and fades
> quickly after that. The milk flavor in jinxuan and qingxin often waits
> until the third steep or so to develop fully.
>
> Shen wrote:
> > Me, again. Maybe a dumb question: in an Oakland tea store my friend
> > bought something called Milk-Oolong. He though it was scented. I
> > thought it's flavor came from dramatic weather. What is it? It's
> > Taiwanese (Formosan?), no? I actually liked the "finish"; but, loathed
> > the "nose".
> > Thanks, all.
> > BTW, thanks so much for all the ITC information. I really learned so
> > much!
> > Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

It's nice tea. I find it a little much after repeated drinking. There
are other Taiwanese oolongs that have the same quality but are more
subtle, and those are really worth looking for. I like it when the
dairy taste hits unexpectedly on the third or fourth steep.

Shen wrote:
> It must have been jinxuan. The flavor doesn't fade; it does become more
> rounded, sweeter. I really liked this tea.
> Shen
> Alex wrote:
> > It very well could be jinxuan, but it's possible that you got something
> > flavored, too. You can tell if a tea is scented (according to my
> > understanding) if the flavor predominates in the first steep and fades
> > quickly after that. The milk flavor in jinxuan and qingxin often waits
> > until the third steep or so to develop fully.
> >
> > Shen wrote:
> > > Me, again. Maybe a dumb question: in an Oakland tea store my friend
> > > bought something called Milk-Oolong. He though it was scented. I
> > > thought it's flavor came from dramatic weather. What is it? It's
> > > Taiwanese (Formosan?), no? I actually liked the "finish"; but, loathed
> > > the "nose".
> > > Thanks, all.
> > > BTW, thanks so much for all the ITC information. I really learned so
> > > much!
> > > Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

>From your previous posts I understand the jinxuan has the milk flavor.
Qingxin is the cultivar for baozhong. I've never tasted a milk or
dairy taste in the ones I have.

Jim

Alex wrote:
> It very well could be jinxuan, but it's possible that you got something
> flavored, too. You can tell if a tea is scented (according to my
> understanding) if the flavor predominates in the first steep and fades
> quickly after that. The milk flavor in jinxuan and qingxin often waits
> until the third steep or so to develop fully.

Making Whole Milk from Skim Milk and Heavy Cream Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 23 03-03-2013 10:09 PM
No Milk (Was: Harnessing the sun to keep milk fresh : A storyfrom Goa) Fred C. Dobbs[_2_] Vegan 30 11-05-2010 07:09 AM
Milk Oolong ? [email protected] Tea 10 22-09-2008 04:16 PM
Wu Yi Yan Cha Bing - A Lush Oolong! And The Smoothest Nai Xiang (milk) Oolong! Shen[_2_] Tea 12 20-01-2008 10:27 PM
Sweet condensed milk as a whole milk substitute? Doe John General Cooking 4 10-04-2004 10:26 PM