Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Milk Oolong ?

https://www.theteahaus.com/index.php...u.htm&id=31293

i picked up this tea last week, the clerk said it was made with milk,
hence the name. the site does not state it is made with milk,

it does have a creamy mouth feel. it seems like it may be scented, as
there is a distinct smell and taste. reminded me of lightly jasmine
maybe.
the liquid is a warm, dark yellow, and i get many steepings. a very
interestin tea indeed. nice find.
i find the price varies widely for milk oolong.

anyone else have exposure to, or fav milk oolons ?

al
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 8, 4:04*pm, wrote:
> https://www.theteahaus.com/index.php...u.htm&id=31293
>
> i picked up this tea last week, the clerk said it was made with milk,
> hence the name. the site does not state it is made with milk,
>
> it does have a creamy mouth feel. it seems like it may be scented, as
> there is a distinct smell and taste. reminded me of lightly jasmine
> maybe.
> the liquid is a warm, dark yellow, and i get many steepings. a very
> interestin tea indeed. nice find.
> i find the price varies widely for milk oolong.
>
> anyone else have exposure to, or fav milk oolons ?
>
> al

Milk Oolong is a tea that's not scented, but the flavor is said to
come from dramatic weather conditions.
Theer are a good many posts in the archive that can fill you in on the
"what's what" of "milk oolong". Red Blossom in San Francisco carries a
lovely choice from Taiwan.
Shen
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

The Taiwan Tea Research Institue created the cultivar JinXuan with
milk fragrance nia xiang in the mid 80s. I was never aware the
mainland was using this cultivar but Fujian and Wuyi mountains are
just across the straits.

PS Peter at Red Blossom sells Taiwan milk tea as silk tea which is a
tradename.

Shen wrote:
> On Sep 8, 4:04?pm, wrote:
> > https://www.theteahaus.com/index.php...u.htm&id=31293
> >
> > i picked up this tea last week, the clerk said it was made with milk,
> > hence the name. the site does not state it is made with milk,
> >
> > it does have a creamy mouth feel. it seems like it may be scented, as
> > there is a distinct smell and taste. reminded me of lightly jasmine
> > maybe.
> > the liquid is a warm, dark yellow, and i get many steepings. a very
> > interestin tea indeed. nice find.
> > i find the price varies widely for milk oolong.
> >
> > anyone else have exposure to, or fav milk oolons ?
> >
> > al

> Milk Oolong is a tea that's not scented, but the flavor is said to
> come from dramatic weather conditions.
> Theer are a good many posts in the archive that can fill you in on the
> "what's what" of "milk oolong". Red Blossom in San Francisco carries a
> lovely choice from Taiwan.
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"A milk infused oolong from Fujian, China. Each leaf cluster opens
when steeped, releasing a liquor that is unexpectedly light and smooth
for its richness. Rich creaminess reminiscent of buttered popcorn and
caramel"

http://www.redblossomtea.com/details...c=anxi&item=51

by milk infused, do they mean prepared with milk? the clerk said it
was steamed in milk or something, leaving the creaminess. i thought he
may be wrong from their website at teahaus.
it is a nice tea i find
i had two infusions from 2g last night, today at work another 2
infusions with same leaves. the taste, colour and smell really stays
present after 4 steepings so far. the leaves do not look oxidized,
like a dark oolong. the liquid is a nice yellow.
i am gald i got the digi scales, cause the 2 g in the ceramic infuser
looked like nothing by volume, covered barely half the bottom of
infuser. by the 2nd steeping the leaf volume filled the infuser of
about 4-5 ounces volume.

i got into tea this year and i have 35 teas at home, trying them all.
this tea is a winner for me, like a stronger yunnan needles white tea,
more green, but still delicate in flavour.

i can't get over the aroma, if as you say it is natural, then this
shows how tea making is such an art form. to be able to have such a
wide variety of pleasures from a leaf, smell, visual, taste, mouth
feel, speaks of the artristry and history involved.

even with the price, given 5 steepings at least, it is still 10cents a
cup or less.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy > writes:

> The Taiwan Tea Research Institue created the cultivar JinXuan with
> milk fragrance nia xiang in the mid 80s.

Right, but make that *nai* xiang.

> I was never aware the mainland was using this cultivar but Fujian
> and Wuyi mountains are just across the straits.

It's grown in Thailand, too.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

The store labeling Silk Oolong Formosa, Formosa Oolong Tea, (fa-120).
It is the creamy flavor of the tea, it has nothing to do with the
diary product. A lot of plants have a milk sap. I think the
Institute tried to reproduce this. It is an incredibly dense/heavy
tea. Every tea taste different mainly due to processing and
environmental locale even though Nigel at TeaCraft nixes the later.
It makes your gongfu pot runneth over.

Jim

wrote:
> "A milk infused oolong from Fujian, China. Each leaf cluster opens
> when steeped, releasing a liquor that is unexpectedly light and smooth
> for its richness. Rich creaminess reminiscent of buttered popcorn and
> caramel"
>
> http://www.redblossomtea.com/details...c=anxi&item=51
>
> by milk infused, do they mean prepared with milk? the clerk said it
> was steamed in milk or something, leaving the creaminess. i thought he
> may be wrong from their website at teahaus.
> it is a nice tea i find
> i had two infusions from 2g last night, today at work another 2
> infusions with same leaves. the taste, colour and smell really stays
> present after 4 steepings so far. the leaves do not look oxidized,
> like a dark oolong. the liquid is a nice yellow.
> i am gald i got the digi scales, cause the 2 g in the ceramic infuser
> looked like nothing by volume, covered barely half the bottom of
> infuser. by the 2nd steeping the leaf volume filled the infuser of
> about 4-5 ounces volume.
>
> i got into tea this year and i have 35 teas at home, trying them all.
> this tea is a winner for me, like a stronger yunnan needles white tea,
> more green, but still delicate in flavour.
>
> i can't get over the aroma, if as you say it is natural, then this
> shows how tea making is such an art form. to be able to have such a
> wide variety of pleasures from a leaf, smell, visual, taste, mouth
> feel, speaks of the artristry and history involved.
>
> even with the price, given 5 steepings at least, it is still 10cents a
> cup or less.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

What next, sencha from Brazil.

Jim

Lewis Perin wrote:
> Space Cowboy > writes:
>
> > The Taiwan Tea Research Institue created the cultivar JinXuan with
> > milk fragrance nia xiang in the mid 80s.

> Right, but make that *nai* xiang.
>
> > I was never aware the mainland was using this cultivar but Fujian
> > and Wuyi mountains are just across the straits.

> It's grown in Thailand, too.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

found this re-milk oolong

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=62816

towerofdabble wrote:
OK, I asked Daniel at TeaSpring about their Nai Xiang "milk oolong"
and here is his reply:Quote:
Yes, the flavor (flavoring) is added after the tea is processed. It is
not natural.
His tea looks very much like what I have, and I think confirms my
suspicion that this taste/aroma is not naturally occurring.
" unquote
========
i am now utterly disappointed. it seems my new tea find , may be a
flavored tea.
it has staying power, keeping the smell, taste and aroma to at last 6
steepings. it does not seem to be chemical flavoring, is it a natural
scent , like jasmine tea ?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

How about this one?

http://www.teacuppa.com/Milk-Oolong-Tea.asp
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

This
http://www.aromateashop.com/store/in...od&productId=9
is not this
http://www.aromateashop.com/store/in...d&productId=85

Jim

wrote:
> found this re-milk oolong
>
> http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=62816
>
> towerofdabble wrote:
> OK, I asked Daniel at TeaSpring about their Nai Xiang "milk oolong"
> and here is his reply:Quote:
> Yes, the flavor (flavoring) is added after the tea is processed. It is
> not natural.
> His tea looks very much like what I have, and I think confirms my
> suspicion that this taste/aroma is not naturally occurring.
> " unquote
> ========
> i am now utterly disappointed. it seems my new tea find , may be a
> flavored tea.
> it has staying power, keeping the smell, taste and aroma to at last 6
> steepings. it does not seem to be chemical flavoring, is it a natural
> scent , like jasmine tea ?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> by milk infused, do they mean prepared with milk? the clerk said it
> was steamed in milk or something, leaving the creaminess. i thought he
> may be wrong from their website at teahaus.

This is one of the many ways merchants exaggerate reality to cheat
customers. If he did in fact say it was steamed in milk, he's trying
to pull one over on you; either that, or he doesn't know himself.
From the people I've talked with that do tea business in Taiwan, Nai
Xiang isn't exactly "natural". Matter of fact, I can hardly find it
from my sources anymore unless it comes from the mainland. Most of
the teas from Fujian are so adulterated, I simply won't drink them so
I wouldn't trust much about what they call "natural". There is that
type of tea they created in the 80s called Nai Xiang but it doesn't
seem very popular among the more serious tea drinkers in Taiwan or on
the mainland.

I hope they didn't make the "Nai Xiang" using milk formula...

Making Whole Milk from Skim Milk and Heavy Cream Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 23 03-03-2013 10:09 PM
No Milk (Was: Harnessing the sun to keep milk fresh : A storyfrom Goa) Fred C. Dobbs[_2_] Vegan 30 11-05-2010 07:09 AM
Wu Yi Yan Cha Bing - A Lush Oolong! And The Smoothest Nai Xiang (milk) Oolong! Shen[_2_] Tea 12 20-01-2008 10:27 PM
What is Milk-oolong???????? Shen Tea 7 29-08-2006 02:20 PM
Sweet condensed milk as a whole milk substitute? Doe John General Cooking 4 10-04-2004 10:26 PM