Ripon

Default How many of us are really drinking pure Drajeeling tea?

Dear tea lovers:

I will talk about something really more sensitive and more political
matter about Darjeeling tea. We might all know one thing here is- the
ratio between Darjeeling tea's demand/supply and production doesn't
match. Sales of Darjeeling tea is more then production. Recently I was
talking with some Bangladeshi tea tasters and tea brokers who works
for some British company here in Chittagong( Is the largest and only
tea auction house here), Bangladesh. I got this shocking news from
them about Darjeeling tea. Nepal, another tea producing south Asian
country resembles the same taste as Darjeeling tea. The reason-Nepal
share border with India's Darjeeling region. Such as Shylet( The main
tea growing area in Bangladesh) share border with India's Assam
region. That's why Bangladeshi tea also resembles Assam tea. Though
some people say Bangladeshi tea is medium body( It's all depend which
quality tea they tried, I have tried full body Bangladeshi tea).

Everyday via Pashupatinagar Phatak -Mirik border ( Between Nepal and
India) 4000-5000 kg of green leaf is crossing into India (illegally)
and then they process in India. After that they sell them to
Calcutta's tea auction house. For this smuggling, Nepalese teas in
being hurt. Tea board of India Launched Darjeeling logo in 1983. It is
a symbol that verifies that the packet, caddy contains 100% pure
Darjeeling. In the year 2001 Nepalese chamber requested Tea board of
India to let them use the Darjeeling CTM logo. But so far no decision.
In this way Nepal is loosing a lot of money. I don't want to talk
about politics here or want to say whose fault. But my question is we
tea lovers love to drink Darjeeling tea and pay a good amount of
money. Some of us even feel we are helping those poor tea labors. Soon
I have a plan to tell you all- how those poor labors are exploited by
tea estate owner and also foreign brokers.

But my question is-HOW MANY OF US ARE REALLY DRINKING PURE DARJEELING
TEA OR PURE NEPALESE TEA?

For my book on tea soon I am heading to Calcutta, India and I will
try to get more information on this matter.

Thanks.
Ripon
(From Bangladesh)
Michael Plant

10/29/03

> Dear tea lovers:
>
> I will talk about something really more sensitive and more political
> matter about Darjeeling tea. We might all know one thing here is- the
> ratio between Darjeeling tea's demand/supply and production doesn't
> match. Sales of Darjeeling tea is more then production. Recently I was
> talking with some Bangladeshi tea tasters and tea brokers who works
> for some British company here in Chittagong( Is the largest and only
> tea auction house here), Bangladesh. I got this shocking news from
> them about Darjeeling tea. Nepal, another tea producing south Asian
> country resembles the same taste as Darjeeling tea. The reason-Nepal
> share border with India's Darjeeling region. Such as Shylet( The main
> tea growing area in Bangladesh) share border with India's Assam
> region. That's why Bangladeshi tea also resembles Assam tea. Though
> some people say Bangladeshi tea is medium body( It's all depend which
> quality tea they tried, I have tried full body Bangladeshi tea).
>
> Everyday via Pashupatinagar Phatak -Mirik border ( Between Nepal and
> India) 4000-5000 kg of green leaf is crossing into India (illegally)
> and then they process in India. After that they sell them to
> Calcutta's tea auction house. For this smuggling, Nepalese teas in
> being hurt. Tea board of India Launched Darjeeling logo in 1983. It is
> a symbol that verifies that the packet, caddy contains 100% pure
> Darjeeling. In the year 2001 Nepalese chamber requested Tea board of
> India to let them use the Darjeeling CTM logo. But so far no decision.
> In this way Nepal is loosing a lot of money. I don't want to talk
> about politics here or want to say whose fault. But my question is we
> tea lovers love to drink Darjeeling tea and pay a good amount of
> money. Some of us even feel we are helping those poor tea labors. Soon
> I have a plan to tell you all- how those poor labors are exploited by
> tea estate owner and also foreign brokers.
>
> But my question is-HOW MANY OF US ARE REALLY DRINKING PURE DARJEELING
> TEA OR PURE NEPALESE TEA?
>
> For my book on tea soon I am heading to Calcutta, India and I will
> try to get more information on this matter.
>
> Thanks.
> Ripon
> (From Bangladesh)

Ripon,

I'm absolutely sure your absolutely right. Just as there are probably tons
of the original Cross available in slivers, not to mention tons of Noah's
Ark, and God knows what all else -- the Berlin Wall, perhaps -- Darjeeling
tea sales undoubtedly outweigh Darjeeling tea production. I'm looking
forward to your comments on the exploitation of workers. During the past
month, I've heard two radio broadcasts about riots and upheavals in Assam
gardens over wages, etc.

I buy most of my Darjeelings from Kyela Teas in Canada. They carry the fair
trade logo as well as the Indian Government Darjeeling logo. I hope this
means their tea workers are fairly compensated for their work and that I am
actually drinking darjeeling tea. When I was in India I bought at some
"craft collectives" which sold direct from the maker and so avoided the
exploitative middle folk. But, that was decades ago.

Incidentally, I've bought lovely teas that came from the Temi garden in
Sikkim, but I hear they are having their problems now. Never tasted one
from Nepal, I don't think.

Anyway, post us on the labor issues. I'm eager to hear. Not to mention the
pesticide and chemical fertilizer issues as well.

Michael

Space Cowboy

Is there a more recent logo than 1983? I thought the plantations used their
own logo in lieu of the Tea Board? On the commercial products of Brooke
Bond and Lipton's they carry "100%" Darjeeling in lieu of any logo. I
personally think someone is crying wolf for political reasons. I really
don't know if it is an industry problem or a few bad apples. Every consumer
in the US turns a blind eye to cheap immigrant farm labor. It's so bad it
has permeated our high tech industry.

Jim

"Ripon" > wrote in message
om...
>Tea board of India Launched Darjeeling logo in 1983. It is
> a symbol that verifies that the packet, caddy contains 100% pure
> Darjeeling. In the year 2001 Nepalese chamber requested Tea board of
> India to let them use the Darjeeling CTM logo.

Ripon

Michael Plant > wrote in message >...

> Ripon,
>
> I'm absolutely sure your absolutely right. Just as there are probably tons
> of the original Cross available in slivers, not to mention tons of Noah's
> Ark, and God knows what all else -- the Berlin Wall, perhaps -- Darjeeling
> tea sales undoubtedly outweigh Darjeeling tea production. I'm looking
> forward to your comments on the exploitation of workers. During the past
> month, I've heard two radio broadcasts about riots and upheavals in Assam
> gardens over wages, etc.

Well Michael I already did explore some case studies on plantation
workers. It's horrible. Ya, whatever you heard of Assman, it's true.
But it has more inside story. I am just organising my thought on this
issue. And want to see by myself before puting my strong comment. I
will take some time because when I talk about a problem , I would also
like to talk about some solutions. So please give me some time.

> I buy most of my Darjeelings from Kyela Teas in Canada. They carry the fair
> trade logo as well as the Indian Government Darjeeling logo. I hope this
> means their tea workers are fairly compensated for their work and that I am
> actually drinking darjeeling tea. When I was in India I bought at some
> "craft collectives" which sold direct from the maker and so avoided the
> exploitative middle folk. But, that was decades ago.

Well If there are fake Sony electronics why not some fake Darjeeing
Logo?

> Incidentally, I've bought lovely teas that came from the Temi garden in
> Sikkim, but I hear they are having their problems now. Never tasted one
> from Nepal, I don't think.

well you know Sikkim(Temi garden) sold its production as Darjeeing tea
up to 1999. But since Darjeeling CTM came into force, the Temi teas
are being treated as orthodox catagory from the year 2000. Well, i
have tried that and it's just like Darjeeing. recently I am also
drinking Neplaese tea from Fikkal Illam estate.

> Anyway, post us on the labor issues. I'm eager to hear. Not to mention the
> pesticide and chemical fertilizer issues as well.

Well, next week I have an appoinment with a local planters who has
worked for British Finley tea company last 25 years. I am going to see
him with my hi expection because he is my friend's father. About
pesticide-thats another broad issue. i would like to keep it aside
this time. But next time offcourse.

Ripon.
Ripon

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message link.net>...
> Is there a more recent logo than 1983? I thought the plantations used their
> own logo in lieu of the Tea Board? On the commercial products of Brooke
> Bond and Lipton's they carry "100%" Darjeeling in lieu of any logo. I
> personally think someone is crying wolf for political reasons. I really
> don't know if it is an industry problem or a few bad apples.

Every consumer
> in the US turns a blind eye to cheap immigrant farm labor. It's so bad it
> has permeated our high tech industry.

Jim:

There are no recent Logos. Tea board of India uses 4 logos for
darjeeling, Assam,Sikkim and Nilgiri. I guess tea board owns all those
4 different logos. We tea lovers are just talking about true facts,
where did you get the aroma of politics here? Here we the tea
drinkers not only drink tea but also have some responsibility to keep
some inforamtion about the whole tea industry, It's just a
disscursion, nothing more then that. If you read the whole original
post, you will see, I didn't blame anyone. Just explained a fact on
Darjeeling tea.

Every consumer
in the US turns a blind eye to cheap immigrant farm labor. It's so
bad it
has permeated our high tech industry.

Your last two lines about immigrant labor and hi tech industry- what
is the relationship with this post? I will be glad if you explain a
little more. Thank you for your comment.

Ripon
(From Bangladesh)

Space Cowboy

I thought there was a newer association for Darjeeling tea with its own logo
than the Indian Tea Board. I'd love to be in an industry where the demand
outstrips the supply. In this case by definition you'll get the bad apples
to fill the void but more a nusance than a problem. I'd be more concerned
about the illegitimate use of any trademark. So when Brooke Bond and
Lipton's tells me it is 100% Darjeeling that is good enough for me,
trademark or not. The bogus tea argument could be applied to any imported
tea. This argument pops up about every 6 months in the group.

Jim

"Ripon" > wrote in message
om...
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message

link.net>...
> > Is there a more recent logo than 1983?

> There are no recent Logos. Tea board of India uses 4 logos for
> darjeeling, Assam,Sikkim and Nilgiri. I guess tea board owns all those
> 4 different logos. We tea lovers are just talking about true facts,
> where did you get the aroma of politics here? Here we the tea
> drinkers not only drink tea but also have some responsibility to keep
> some inforamtion about the whole tea industry, It's just a
> disscursion, nothing more then that. If you read the whole original
> post, you will see, I didn't blame anyone. Just explained a fact on
> Darjeeling tea.

Peter Roozemaal

Ripon wrote:
> Dear tea lovers:

[...]
> But my question is-HOW MANY OF US ARE REALLY DRINKING PURE DARJEELING
> TEA OR PURE NEPALESE TEA?

I find it a pity that it is just a matter of trust for the tea-buyers in
Europe (and the US) to get the tea they ask for in the shop. At every
processing step blending and re-labeling may occur. I trust most of the
people that are in the tea-business, alas, one can not trust everybody.

One of my favourite teas is a "Tippy Nepal" (alas, not available this
year). I guess that would have been a pure Nepal. It is a good tea,
comparable with a Darjeeling of double the price.
I think Nepal should start branding their tea as "Original Nepal Tea";
it is worth a brand.

Peter.

Ripon

Peter Roozemaal > wrote in message >...
> Ripon wrote:
> > Dear tea lovers:
> >

> [...]
> >
> > But my question is-HOW MANY OF US ARE REALLY DRINKING PURE DARJEELING
> > TEA OR PURE NEPALESE TEA?
> >

> I find it a pity that it is just a matter of trust for the tea-buyers in
> Europe (and the US) to get the tea they ask for in the shop. At every
> processing step blending and re-labeling may occur. I trust most of the
> people that are in the tea-business, alas, one can not trust everybody.
>
> One of my favourite teas is a "Tippy Nepal" (alas, not available this
> year). I guess that would have been a pure Nepal. It is a good tea,
> comparable with a Darjeeling of double the price.
> I think Nepal should start branding their tea as "Original Nepal Tea";
> it is worth a brand.
>
> Peter.

Dear Peter:

I agree with you, why Nepal doesn't start their own brand. Well, being
in around this region ( South Asia) I have visited Nepal couple of
times. I have an explanation- Nepal is not so aggressive as much as
they are aggressive in turism business. My last trip in Nepal was a
business trip and I asked the same question to one of my friend who is
involved in wooden craving business. Accoring to him- he thinks,
majority nepalese are coffee drinker because its a cold country. And
they haven't though this aggressive way. As a part of business
community my understanding is- creating a new brand is a tough job.
You need government support and Entrepreneurial aggressivness. They
might have lack on that part.

I have tried Nepalese Fikkal Ellam estate SFTGFOP CL, Kanyam estate
and Shekira estate SFTGFOP CL tea. Never try "Tippy Nepal". Sounds
exotic to me. Does it has a lot of golden tips on it? How is the
taste. Please, I will be very glad you kindly leave a comment on it.
Thank you.

Ripon
(From Bangladesh)
Peter Roozemaal

Ripon wrote:
> Peter Roozemaal > wrote in message >...

>>I find it a pity that it is just a matter of trust for the tea-buyers in
>>Europe (and the US) to get the tea they ask for in the shop. At every
>>processing step blending and re-labeling may occur. I trust most of the
>>people that are in the tea-business, alas, one can not trust everybody.
>>
>>One of my favourite teas is a "Tippy Nepal" (alas, not available this
>>year). I guess that would have been a pure Nepal. It is a good tea,
>>comparable with a Darjeeling of double the price.
>>I think Nepal should start branding their tea as "Original Nepal Tea";
>>it is worth a brand.
>>

> Dear Peter:
>
> I agree with you, why Nepal doesn't start their own brand. Well, being
> in around this region ( South Asia) I have visited Nepal couple of
> times. I have an explanation- Nepal is not so aggressive as much as
> they are aggressive in turism business. My last trip in Nepal was a
> business trip and I asked the same question to one of my friend who is
> involved in wooden craving business. Accoring to him- he thinks,
> majority nepalese are coffee drinker because its a cold country. And
> they haven't though this aggressive way. As a part of business
> community my understanding is- creating a new brand is a tough job.
> You need government support and Entrepreneurial aggressivness. They
> might have lack on that part.

If there is limited funds, tourism could be a better investment than
tea. To make a tea brand you need distribution channels (traders,
auctions, roads, trucks and warehouses) before you can start building a
brand... I don't know how advanced the Nepalese infrastructure is.

> I have tried Nepalese Fikkal Ellam estate SFTGFOP CL, Kanyam estate
> and Shekira estate SFTGFOP CL tea. Never try "Tippy Nepal". Sounds
> exotic to me. Does it has a lot of golden tips on it? How is the
> taste. Please, I will be very glad you kindly leave a comment on it.

I think the "Tippy Nepal" is a blend made by the Dutch importer (or just
a rebadged lot of single estate tea). Recalling from memory (more than a
year ago): it contained a good amount of golden tips. It was less
pungent than a Darjeeling, but had the floral notes.

Greetings,
Peter

What does "Pure-D" mean? Anyone?? Nancree General Cooking 25 27-09-2017 06:45 PM
Pure egg whites? Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 6 15-05-2012 08:52 PM
OJ not pure Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 18 09-01-2012 05:48 PM
Pure Cap Food Snob General Cooking 11 05-05-2007 11:59 AM
where can I get pure cocoa ? logick 303 Chocolate 1 07-11-2003 05:39 PM