Nancree

Default What does "Pure-D" mean? Anyone??

Mr.AoSD wrote:

"Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the pasta in with the
sauce before refrigerating."

I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it came from, what it
meant. He didn't know either, even though he kept using it. Does anyone there
know?
Nancree

notbob

They don't know how to spell 'pretty'?

nb
PENMART01

"Pure -D"... yoose asking moi?

( ^ )( ^ )

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

leebee

Nancree wrote:
> Mr.AoSD wrote:
>
> "Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the pasta in
> with the sauce before refrigerating."
>
> I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it came from,
> what it meant. He didn't know either, even though he kept using it.
> Does anyone there know?

"purdy" = pretty ?

Nancree

Several people suggested it might mean "pretty". No, it is used in the sense
of "absolutely" or "totally", or "very much". For instance, "I am pure-D
expecting to win". Or, "I am pure-D angry with him." Keep on suggesting .
(:-)
Thanks, Nancree

> Mr.AoSD wrote:
>
> "Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the pasta in
> with the sauce before refrigerating."
>
> I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it came from,
> what it meant. He didn't know either, even though he kept using it.
> Does anyone there know?

-------------------------------
leebee wrote:
"purdy" = pretty ?

Virginia Tadrzynski

"Nancree" > wrote in message
> Mr.AoSD wrote:
>
> "Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the pasta in with

the
> sauce before refrigerating."
>
> I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it came from, what

it
> meant. He didn't know either, even though he kept using it. Does anyone

there
> know?
> Nancree

Okay, I've heard pure-t and t-mortal before...I believe pure-t to mean the
real deal.
-Ginny

leebee

Nancree wrote:
> Several people suggested it might mean "pretty". No, it is used in
> the sense of "absolutely" or "totally", or "very much". For instance,
> "I am pure-D expecting to win". Or, "I am pure-D angry with him."
> Keep on suggesting . (:-)

But it's not uncommon for people to say "I am pretty sure"
or, "That's pretty much what he said", or "That's a pretty big helping
you've got there !"

All of those meaning, to some degree, 'very' ... although it's just a filler
word meaning nothing really,
as it's the word following "pretty" that holds the key. Same with Pure-D ?

ie: take away the "pretty" or the "Pure-D" and you get:

"I am expecting to win".
"I am angry with him."
"I am sure"
"That's what he said"
"That's a big helping you've got there !"

Mark Thorson

It's a reference to a quality rating for so-called
"invert" sugar. The best stuff is almost pure
d-glucose, hence it is called "pure d". The
lowest quality is a 50/50 mixture of d-glucose
and l-fructose, d and l referring to the direction
that they rotate polarized light. (Not to be confused
with D and L, which refer to derivation from
D- and L-glyceraldehyde. :-)

Reg

Mark Thorson wrote:

> It's a reference to a quality rating for so-called
> "invert" sugar. The best stuff is almost pure
> d-glucose, hence it is called "pure d". The
> lowest quality is a 50/50 mixture of d-glucose
> and l-fructose, d and l referring to the direction
> that they rotate polarized light. (Not to be confused
> with D and L, which refer to derivation from
> D- and L-glyceraldehyde. :-)

Finally, an authoritative answer. I assume you're a baker.

axlq in California

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:
>It's a reference to a quality rating for so-called "invert"
>sugar. The best stuff is almost pure d-glucose, hence it is called
>"pure d". The lowest quality is a 50/50 mixture of d-glucose and
>l-fructose, d and l referring to the direction that they rotate
>polarized light. (Not to be confused with D and L, which refer to
>derivation from D- and L-glyceraldehyde. :-)

Actually, I thought the subject line was a reference to the size of a
woman's breasts.

-A

Tim Challenger

On 14 Apr 2004 02:27:49 GMT, Nancree wrote:

> Or, "I am pure-D angry with him." Keep on suggesting .

I am pretty angry with him. Doh!
--
Tim C.
MrAoD

(Nancree) writes:

>Mr.AoSD wrote:
>
>"Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the pasta in with the
>sauce before refrigerating."
>
>I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it came from, what it
>meant. He didn't know either, even though he kept using it. Does anyone
>there
>know?

Absent any origin story of my own I'm inclined to accept Mark Thorson's
explanation downthread.

'Sides, them ole boys I larnt it from cooked their own shine.

Best,

Marc
JimLane

Tim Challenger wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2004 02:27:49 GMT, Nancree wrote:
>

>>Or, "I am pure-D angry with him." Keep on suggesting .

> I am pretty angry with him. Doh!

Jumping in a bit late in the thread, but I think this is usually
associated with a southern vernacular and if it is, "pretty" was
corrupted to "purdy" or "pur-dee" and consequently, "pure D."

Maybe, maybe not.

jim
A.C.

> "Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the pasta in with

the
> sauce before refrigerating."
>
> I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it came from, what

it
> meant. He didn't know either, even though he kept using it. Does anyone

there
> know?
> Nancree

i've always heard it used as "pure-t" and for me it had the meaning of
completely, totally or absolutely. i grew up in the southeastern us aka
redneck country and heard it quite often then. i don't hear it much anymore.
tv and radio are slowly homogenizing america.

sf

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:57:54 -0400, "A.C."
> wrote:

> > "Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the pasta in with

> the
> > sauce before refrigerating."
> >
> > I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it came from, what

> it
> > meant. He didn't know either, even though he kept using it. Does anyone

> there
> > know?
> > Nancree
> >

> i've always heard it used as "pure-t" and for me it had the meaning of
> completely, totally or absolutely.

Pure is pronounced pyur and that's why the rest of us didn't
understand. Why spell it with an e when pur would make more
sense? Pur-t.

> i grew up in the southeastern us aka
> redneck country and heard it quite often then. i don't hear it much anymore.
> tv and radio are slowly homogenizing america.

You can talk that way among friends (if you are conversant
in standard English too), but it's not okay when NYC
advertisers pander to the public by using nonstandard,
regional English.

Tashi_Aunt

"A.C." > wrote in message >...

> > "Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the pasta in with

> the
> > sauce before refrigerating."

I also spent time down South. I heard it as purelly meaning absolutely.
Nancree

Tashi_Aunt wrote:
>I also spent time down South. I heard it as purelly meaning absolutely.

------------------------
Yes, but what does the "D" stand for?
Nancree
-----------------------

> > "Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the pasta in with
>> the
>> > sauce before refrigerating."
>> > -------------------------------------------

>I also spent time down South. I heard it as purelly meaning absolutely.

Mark Thorson

Reg wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > It's a reference to a quality rating for so-called
> > "invert" sugar. The best stuff is almost pure
> > d-glucose, hence it is called "pure d". The
> > lowest quality is a 50/50 mixture of d-glucose
> > and l-fructose, d and l referring to the direction
> > that they rotate polarized light. (Not to be confused
> > with D and L, which refer to derivation from
> > D- and L-glyceraldehyde. :-)

> Finally, an authoritative answer. I assume you're a baker.

Actually, I perform leg surgery. :-)

Peggy Sullivan

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:57:54 -0400, "A.C."
> > wrote:
>

>> > "Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the pasta in with

>> the
>> > sauce before refrigerating."
>> > -------------------------------------------
>> >
>> > I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it came from, what

>> it
>> > meant. He didn't know either, even though he kept using it. Does anyone

>> there
>> > know?
>> > Nancree
>> >

>> i've always heard it used as "pure-t" and for me it had the meaning of
>> completely, totally or absolutely.

> Pure is pronounced pyur and that's why the rest of us didn't
> understand. Why spell it with an e when pur would make more
> sense? Pur-t.

My experience is that pure-d or pure-t is not pronounced like "purty"
and means something different than "purty". To me, pure-d means completely
or totally and "purty" or pretty means somewhat. Calling a meal "pretty good"
and calling it "pure-d good" are two very different things.

Peggy in NE PA, who spent 15 years in Louisiana

sf

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:59:20 -0400, Peggy Sullivan
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > Pure is pronounced pyur and that's why the rest of us didn't
> > understand. Why spell it with an e when pur would make more
> > sense? Pur-t.
> >

> My experience is that pure-d or pure-t is not pronounced like "purty"
> and means something different than "purty". To me, pure-d means completely
> or totally and "purty" or pretty means somewhat.

I guess our humor excapes you Southerners in that case. >G<
There is always a certain amount of irony or dry humor
involved when us Northerners call something "pretty" good.

> Calling a meal "pretty good"
> and calling it "pure-d good" are two very different things.

Apparently so, if you're South o' the Mason Dixon line. So,
pure-d probably means purely delicious.

JimLane

Peggy Sullivan wrote:

> sf wrote:

>>> with
>>> the

>>> from, what
>>> it
>>> anyone
>>> there
>>> >
>>> i've always heard it used as "pure-t" and for me it had the meaning of
>>> completely, totally or absolutely.

>> Pure is pronounced pyur and that's why the rest of us didn't
>> understand. Why spell it with an e when pur would make more
>> sense? Pur-t.
>>

> My experience is that pure-d or pure-t is not pronounced like "purty"
> and means something different than "purty". To me, pure-d means completely
> or totally and "purty" or pretty means somewhat. Calling a meal "pretty
> good"
> and calling it "pure-d good" are two very different things.
>
> Peggy in NE PA, who spent 15 years in Louisiana

I agree that the slangy version is a step up, however, the origin is the
origin.

jim

The Joneses

Nancree wrote:

> Mr.AoSD wrote:
>
> "Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the pasta in with the
> sauce before refrigerating."
>
> I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it came from, what it
> meant. He didn't know either, even though he kept using it. Does anyone there
> know?
> Nancree

C'mon y'all, it means "pretty (as in a lot of something) or pure (as in absolute)
-Damn"
I'm just pretty damn hopin he didn't mix....I'm just absolutely damn hopin' he
didn't...
Only y'all don' wanna cuss in front of Mama and the kids.
My favorite unword is "dudn't". As in "it dudn't look lahk rain"
Mark Twain was a good one for creative use of language.
Edrena, rejoicing in language

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you. My husband and I were just discussing the meaning! I love word origins and meanings!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Thank you. My husband and I were just discussing the meaning! I love word
> origins and meanings!!

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/puredee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 02:29:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>> Thank you. My husband and I were just discussing the meaning! I love word
>> origins and meanings!!

>https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/puredee

Then acording to Webster could just as easily mean natural D cups.

Pure egg whites? Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 6 15-05-2012 08:52 PM
OJ not pure Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 18 09-01-2012 04:48 PM
Pure Cap Food Snob General Cooking 11 05-05-2007 11:59 AM
Pure Entertainment Sheldon General Cooking 0 19-01-2007 01:16 AM
where can I get pure cocoa ? logick 303 Chocolate 1 07-11-2003 04:39 PM