Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Is keemun being forgotten?

We are a chinese keemun producer in Qimen County,China. I was really
annoyed when talking with a merchant ( to spare trouble,I don't say
which country)online after he said that china only can produce poor
black tea. I argued that china is able to produce the best black tea
in the world such as keemun,Lapsang Souchong and Yunnan black tea. You
don't know that because you only source the tea of very very low
price.

I know in recent years,keemun has been shadowed by Darjeeling,Asam and
Cylon but I think the main reason is that the annual production of
chinese black tea is small except Yunan black so we are not so
competitive in price instead of reasons for taste and flavor.

We wish to hear more comments from tea lovers

Richard
www.viconyteas.com
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hello.

I am in South Europe, and I really like Chinese black tea.

I am drinking in this period Chingwoo, Keemun, and a Special Gold Yunnan.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 12, 8:15*am, mark shuttleworth >
wrote:
> We are a chinese keemun producer in Qimen County,China. I was really
> annoyed when talking with a *merchant ( to spare trouble,I don't say
> which country)online after he said that china only can produce poor
> black tea. I argued that china is able to produce the best black tea
> in the world such as keemun,Lapsang Souchong and Yunnan black tea. You
> don't know that because you only source the tea of very very low
> price.
>
> I know in recent years,keemun has been shadowed by Darjeeling,Asam and
> Cylon but I think the main reason is that the annual production of
> chinese black tea is small except Yunan black so we are not so
> competitive in price instead of reasons for taste and flavor.
>
> We wish to hear more comments from tea lovers
>
> Richardwww.viconyteas.com

Richard,
I can imagine how it feels when you are harvesting from the best
available stock, and are yet looked down upon with skepticism.
It is a well known fact that the initial efforts to establish Tea
Plantations in India was by planting Plants imported from China. The
effort failed miserably. Then came Cammelia Assamica, and the rest is
history. This is the story of the "Black" CTC and some "Orthodox" teas
made in most of the plains of Eastern India. These teas can take on
milk very well, are robust in body and strong in taste. Ceylon too has
most of its plantation in the plains planted with variants of Cammelia
Assamica .. please correct me if I am wrong.
But Darjeeling is a different story altogether. The Chinese plants
(Keemuns) thrived here, and the different geography gave it its own
"muscatel" flavour. So, its Gods own little factory injecting
different flavours into the the same species.

Tea Cheers!
Jayesh S Pandya.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Stop shillin what youre sellin. While Im here in the West black teas
are usually drank with cream and sugar. So the cheap stuff is just as
good as the expensive. If you are drinking a British tea which says
blended with China tea its Keemun. I think Keemun has the prettiest
red infusion of any black tea.

Jim

On Jul 11, 9:15 pm, mark shuttleworth >
wrote:
> We are a chinese keemun producer in Qimen County,China. I was really
> annoyed when talking with a merchant ( to spare trouble,I don't say
> which country)online after he said that china only can produce poor
> black tea. I argued that china is able to produce the best black tea
> in the world such as keemun,Lapsang Souchong and Yunnan black tea. You
> don't know that because you only source the tea of very very low
> price.
>
> I know in recent years,keemun has been shadowed by Darjeeling,Asam and
> Cylon but I think the main reason is that the annual production of
> chinese black tea is small except Yunan black so we are not so
> competitive in price instead of reasons for taste and flavor.
>
> We wish to hear more comments from tea lovers
>
> Richard

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 7月12日, 下午4时58分, teapandya > wrote:
> On Jul 12, 8:15*am, mark shuttleworth >
> wrote:
> Adler.

I am so glad to hear you said that. I'd like to talk with you about
Chingwo. It seems to be a type of tea more popular abroad than at
home. I only knew that Chingwo is a kind of black tea produced in
Fujian province,China. Can you tell me something more about it?and
from where you usually buy it?

Jayesh S Pandya.
Thank you for your understanding and sharing your knowledge with us.
Are you sure that Darjeeling began with tea plant imported from
keemun? It is hard to believe it.Keemun is small-leaf cultiver called
Zhu-Ye-Zhong. I don't think Darjeeling is the same Anyway,I am not so
clear about it.

> > We are a chinesekeemunproducer in Qimen County,China. I was really
> > annoyed when talking with a *merchant ( to spare trouble,I don't say
> > which country)online after he said that china only can produce poor
> > black tea. I argued that china is able to produce the best black tea
> > in the world such askeemun,Lapsang Souchong and Yunnan black tea. You
> > don't know that because you only source the tea of very very low
> > price.

> > I know in recent years,keemunhas been shadowed by Darjeeling,Asam and
> > Cylon but I think the main reason is that the annual production of
> > chinese black tea is small except Yunan black so we are not so
> > competitive in price instead of reasons for taste and flavor.

> > We wish to hear more comments from tea lovers

> > Richardwww.viconyteas.com

> Richard,
> I can imagine how it feels when you are harvesting from the best
> available stock, and are yet looked down upon with skepticism.
> It is a well known fact that the initial efforts to establish Tea
> Plantations in India was by planting Plants imported from China. The
> effort failed miserably. Then came Cammelia Assamica, and the rest is
> history. This is the story of the "Black" CTC and some "Orthodox" teas
> made in most of the plains of Eastern India. These teas can take on
> milk very well, are robust in body and strong in taste. Ceylon too has
> most of its plantation in the plains planted with variants of Cammelia
> Assamica .. please correct me if I am wrong.
> But Darjeeling is a different story altogether. The Chinese plants
> (Keemuns) thrived here, and the different geography gave it its own
> "muscatel" flavour. So, its Gods own little factory injecting
> different flavours into the the same species.
>
> Tea Cheers!
> Jayesh S Pandya.- 隐藏被引用文* -
>
> - 显示引用的文* -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 7月12日, 下午11时22分, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> Stop shillin what youre sellin. *While Im here in the West black teas
> are usually drank with cream and sugar. *So the cheap stuff is just as
> good as the expensive. *If you are drinking a British tea which says
> blended with China tea itsKeemun. *I thinkKeemunhas the prettiest
> red infusion of any black tea.
>
> Jim
>
> On Jul 11, 9:15 pm, mark shuttleworth >
> wrote:
> Jim

You don't have the gift to be the tea connoisseurs but pls don't
think the others are all same as you. You are not the world!!

> > We are a chinesekeemunproducer in Qimen County,China. I was really
> > annoyed when talking with a *merchant ( to spare trouble,I don't say
> > which country)online after he said that china only can produce poor
> > black tea. I argued that china is able to produce the best black tea
> > in the world such askeemun,Lapsang Souchong and Yunnan black tea. You
> > don't know that because you only source the tea of very very low
> > price.

> > I know in recent years,keemunhas been shadowed by Darjeeling,Asam and
> > Cylon but I think the main reason is that the annual production of
> > chinese black tea is small except Yunan black so we are not so
> > competitive in price instead of reasons for taste and flavor.

> > We wish to hear more comments from tea lovers

> > Richard- 隐藏被引用文* -

> - 显示引用的文* -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I'm from the U.S., and I think people are more familiar with cheap non-
Chinese teas here. Chinese black teas taste very different from most
mass-market black tea that people use and probably grew up using. I
definitely prefer Chinese black tea, but when I drink it it usually
has to be made by me from tea ordered off the Internet. Restaurants
don't sell it in general. When at a restaurant, ordering "tea" usually
means some cheap black mix tea or some herbal tisane (or a combination
of the two that is heavily focused on the herbs and not the tea in
terms of flavor). Even many places that sell tea sell very limited
types of tea--their attempt to vary flavor may be solely aimed at
adding orange peels or mint or other plant matter to black tea mixes.
So the problem may just be that people have different expectations
about what tea should taste like and what people will respond to.

Alternatively, there may also be a perception that China largely
drinks green tea and is only recently involved in the development of
black teas for export because it is trying to get a stake in the
western tea market. As wrong as that may be, it could be another
hurdle to cross.

In general, people resist change and look for excuses to avoid trying
something new or liking something new. Chinese black tea may be new
for many in the west.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

viconyteas > writes:

> [...]
> I'd like to talk with you about Chingwo. It seems to be a type of
> tea more popular abroad than at home. I only knew that Chingwo is a
> kind of black tea produced in Fujian province,China. Can you tell me
> something more about it?and from where you usually buy it?

Chingwo is also known as Zhenghe. www.camellia-sinensis.com has a
pretty good Zhenghe these days.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 713, 1ʱ55, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> viconyteas > writes:
> > [...]
> > I'd like to talk with you about Chingwo. It seems to be a type of
> > tea more popular abroad than at home. I only knew that Chingwo is a
> > kind of black tea produced in Fujian province,China. Can you tell me
> > something more about it?and from where you usually buy it?

> Chingwo is also known as Zhenghe. www.camellia-sinensis.comhas a
> pretty good Zhenghe these days.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

I am familiar with Zhenghe which I think probably has been forgotten
by most young chinese.
Zhenghe is considered to be among the top three congou black teas
produced in Fujian,China.

Now I always wonder how mang old famous chinese teas have been
forgotten and abandoned by us.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 713, 12ʱ26, cha bing > wrote:
> I'm from the U.S., and I think people are more familiar with cheap non-
> Chinese teas here. Chinese black teas taste very different from most
> mass-market black tea that people use and probably grew up using. I
> definitely prefer Chinese black tea, but when I drink it it usually
> has to be made by me from tea ordered off the Internet. Restaurants
> don't sell it in general. When at a restaurant, ordering "tea" usually
> means some cheap black mix tea or some herbal tisane (or a combination
> of the two that is heavily focused on the herbs and not the tea in
> terms of flavor). Even many places that sell tea sell very limited
> types of tea--their attempt to vary flavor may be solely aimed at
> adding orange peels or mint or other plant matter to black tea mixes.
> So the problem may just be that people have different expectations
> about what tea should taste like and what people will respond to.
>
> Alternatively, there may also be a perception that China largely
> drinks green tea and is only recently involved in the development of
> black teas for export because it is trying to get a stake in the
> western tea market. As wrong as that may be, it could be another
> hurdle to cross.
>
> In general, people resist change and look for excuses to avoid trying
> something new or liking something new. Chinese black tea may be new
> for many in the west.

Thank you for sharing your views.
From what you said, I got to know how the misunderstanding is huge and
unimaginable such as the perception that China recently involved in
the development of black teas for export because it is trying to get a
stake in the western tea market.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 12, 11:43*am, viconyteas > wrote:
> > On Jul 11, 9:15 pm, mark shuttleworth >
> > wrote:
> > Jim

> * * You don't have the gift to be the tea connoisseurs but pls don't
> think the others are all same as you. You are not the world!!

Wow, Mark Shuttleworth! How is Ubuntu these days? And yes, none of us
have the gift to be the tea connoisseurs here, we have been waiting
anxiously for one to come along and help us all! Should I use water?
Is one leaf enough for a pot? I put my teapot in the microwave but it
just sparks and I never get good tea from it. Plz hlp!

Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 713, 8ʱ56, Nazhuret > wrote:
> On Jul 12, 11:43 am, viconyteas > wrote:
>
> > > On Jul 11, 9:15 pm, mark shuttleworth >
> > > wrote:
> > > Jim

> > You don't have the gift to be the tea connoisseurs but pls don't
> > think the others are all same as you. You are not the world!!

> Wow, Mark Shuttleworth! How is Ubuntu these days? And yes, none of us
> have the gift to be the tea connoisseurs here, we have been waiting
> anxiously for one to come along and help us all! Should I use water?
> Is one leaf enough for a pot? I put my teapot in the microwave but it
> just sparks and I never get good tea from it. Plz hlp!
>
> Thanks!

What is Ubuntu? Pls tell me.

For a pot,you commonly need at least 5g tea leaves. Depending on
whether or not you like strong flavor,the amount can vary. Your should
not put your pot directly into microwave. Generally, you just need use
microwave to boil water and then add the water onto your tea leaves.
To get a good cup of tea,you should control the temperature of water.
For green tea, you'd better let the water temperature drop below 90'c
then use it to brew your tea.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Il Sun, 12 Jul 2009 08:39:03 -0700, viconyteas ha scritto:

> province,China. Can you tell me something more about it?and from where
> you usually buy it?

Hello.
I got it in a shop in a little city in North Italy.
I am trying to taste different teas and this one was unknown to me.
Got some and liked it.

Did some reasearch on web, They say it was the tea drinken during Long
March.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Il Sun, 12 Jul 2009 08:22:18 -0700, Space Cowboy ha scritto:

> While Im here in the West black teas
> are usually drank with cream and sugar.

In Italy it is rare to see cream or milk in teas. Sometimes lemon, often
sugar.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Il Sun, 12 Jul 2009 09:26:40 -0700, cha bing ha scritto:

> I'm from the U.S., and I think people are more familiar with cheap non-
> Chinese teas here. Chinese black teas taste very different from most

I have to confirm it is the same here.
However now you can find good shops and some people begins to appreciate.
I live in a little 20.000 people city and we have two nice places to buy
and drink teas from all over the world.

My girlfriend once told me: why are you buying so much tea, all teas are
the same.

I prepared a Lung Ching and now she drinks only Dragon Well!!!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 7月14日, 上午1时35分, Adler > wrote:
> Il Sun, 12 Jul 2009 09:26:40 -0700, cha bing ha scritto:
> I have to confirm it is the same here.
> However now you can find good shops and some people begins to appreciate.
> I live in a little 20.000 people city and we have two nice places to buy
> and drink teas from all over the world.
>
> My girlfriend once told me: why are you buying so much tea, all teas are
> the same.
>
> I prepared a Lung Ching and now she drinks only Dragon Well.

The story of your girl friend is so interesting. Dragon Well is
commonly to be seen as No 1of chinese top ten famous teas.
But due to its celebrity status,falsification is widespread. You can
see Dragon Well of US$1500/kg in chinese market,also there is one of US
$20/kg.
there is a picture of dragon well in our website
http://www.viconyteas.com/speciality-herb-tea.html

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Everybody says they sell authentic Long Jing tea and everything else
is a sham. I know one Chinese guy who says everything is a scam and
he specifically goes back back to the area and buys from somebody who
has been producing for generations. Commercial advertising is not
permitted in this group. Learn something about USENET, read the NG
charter, and the sentiment of the people who post here.

Jim

On Jul 13, 7:47 pm, viconyteas > wrote:
> The story of your girl friend is so interesting. Dragon Well is
> commonly to be seen as No 1of chinese top ten famous teas.
> But due to its celebrity status,falsification is widespread. You can
> see Dragon Well of US$1500/kg in chinese market,also there is one of US
> $20/kg.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin > wrote:
>viconyteas > writes:
>
>> [...]
>> I'd like to talk with you about Chingwo. It seems to be a type of
>> tea more popular abroad than at home. I only knew that Chingwo is a
>> kind of black tea produced in Fujian province,China. Can you tell me
>> something more about it?and from where you usually buy it?

>Chingwo is also known as Zhenghe. www.camellia-sinensis.com has a
>pretty good Zhenghe these days.

What _is_ the tea generically sold as "panyong congou" here? I have
occasionally had marvelous teas under that name and also some pretty
undistinguished ones as well.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 11, 8:15*pm, mark shuttleworth >
wrote:
> We are a chinese keemun producer in Qimen County,China. I was really
> annoyed when talking with a *merchant ( to spare trouble,I don't say
> which country)online after he said that china only can produce poor
> black tea. I argued that china is able to produce the best black tea
> in the world such as keemun,Lapsang Souchong and Yunnan black tea. You
> don't know that because you only source the tea of very very low
> price.
>
> I know in recent years,keemun has been shadowed by Darjeeling,Asam and
> Cylon but I think the main reason is that the annual production of
> chinese black tea is small except Yunan black so we are not so
> competitive in price instead of reasons for taste and flavor.
>
> We wish to hear more comments from tea lovers
>
> Richardwww.viconyteas.com

I think he or she may have been trying to get a better price from you
by downplaying the quality of your product. I have enjoyed many
chinese black teas including the ones you mention. When you get down
to it quality is equal parts growing area, care in harvesting and
processing, and agricultural luck.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 715, 1ʱ34, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> >viconyteas > writes:

> >> [...]
> >> I'd like to talk with you about Chingwo. It seems to be a type of
> >> tea more popular abroad than at home. I only knew that Chingwo is a
> >> kind of black tea produced in Fujian province,China. Can you tell me
> >> something more about it?and from where you usually buy it?

> >Chingwo is also known as Zhenghe. www.camellia-sinensis.comhas a
> >pretty good Zhenghe these days.

> What _is_ the tea generically sold as "panyong congou" here? I have
> occasionally had marvelous teas under that name and also some pretty
> undistinguished ones as well.
> --scott

panyong congou is a type of congou black tea produced in Fujian
province, China which along with zhenghe and bailin are considered to
be the three congou black tea of Fujian.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 13, 6:29*pm, Adler > wrote:
> Il Sun, 12 Jul 2009 08:22:18 -0700, Space Cowboy ha scritto:
>
> > While Im here in the West black teas
> > are usually drank with cream and sugar.

> In Italy it is rare to see cream or milk in teas. Sometimes lemon, often
> sugar.

In nearly 70 years of tea drinking in England I have never once ever
been offered cream to add to my tea. I believe it is a feature of
East Frisian tea culture - hardly representative of 'the West'.

Nigel at Teacraft
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Nigel > writes:

> On Jul 13, 6:29*pm, Adler > wrote:
> > Il Sun, 12 Jul 2009 08:22:18 -0700, Space Cowboy ha scritto:
> >
> > > While Im here in the West black teas
> > > are usually drank with cream and sugar.

> > In Italy it is rare to see cream or milk in teas. Sometimes lemon, often
> > sugar.

> In nearly 70 years of tea drinking in England I have never once ever
> been offered cream to add to my tea. I believe it is a feature of
> East Frisian tea culture - hardly representative of 'the West'.

I don't think cream is often put in tea in the USA, either. But I
suspect that with tea, as with coffee, Americans often use "cream" to
cover everything from skim milk to heavy cream. "Would you like cream
in that?", holding over your cup a little pitcher full of...something.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Which leads me to believe at least you've never had a proper tea
service. Any place in the US that makes a stab at tea service offers
cream. Anyway I know enough to offer cream and sugar to tea drinkers
just in case.

Jim

On Jul 22, 3:50 am, Nigel > wrote:

> > Il Sun, 12 Jul 2009 08:22:18 -0700, Space Cowboy ha scritto:

> > > While Im here in the West black teas
> > > are usually drank with cream and sugar.

> In nearly 70 years of tea drinking in England I have never once ever
> been offered cream to add to my tea. I believe it is a feature of
> East Frisian tea culture - hardly representative of 'the West'.
>
> Nigel at Teacraft

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy > writes:

> > In nearly 70 years of tea drinking in England I have never once ever
> > been offered cream to add to my tea. I believe it is a feature of
> > East Frisian tea culture - hardly representative of 'the West'.

> Which leads me to believe at least you've never had a proper tea
> service.

Which is to say, there's one proper way and then there are all the
other ways.

> Any place in the US that makes a stab at tea service offers cream.

So that settles it: the USA is the measure of all things.

> Anyway I know enough to offer cream and sugar to tea drinkers just
> in case.

Once you've educated the Brits, it'll be time to go after the Chinese
and Japanese. That'll be a slightly bigger project, I fear.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
recent addition: Yueguang Baicha
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Geography lesson: China and Japan arent 'in the west'. Youre the guy
who admitted not knowing anything about British blends. Every proper
tea service Ive seen from England has a cream and sugar set. There
is a reason they call it a tea set. Its always been a British
argument: what comes first cream or sugar. I think my use of the
word 'proper' is consistent with British understanding. Would you be
in less of a snit if I used 'formal'. If I serve British tea I always
offer Devonshire cream. I knew a Brit who claimed there was no such
thing as morning,afternoon,evening teas. I said the blends were
different for each. They are marketed as such. He said they all
tasted the same to him.

Jim

On Jul 22, 3:57 pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Space Cowboy > writes:

> > > In nearly 70 years of tea drinking in England I have never once ever
> > > been offered cream to add to my tea. I believe it is a feature of
> > > East Frisian tea culture - hardly representative of 'the West'.

> > Which leads me to believe at least you've never had a proper tea
> > service.

> Which is to say, there's one proper way and then there are all the
> other ways.
>
> > Any place in the US that makes a stab at tea service offers cream.

> So that settles it: the USA is the measure of all things.
>
> > Anyway I know enough to offer cream and sugar to tea drinkers just
> > in case.

> Once you've educated the Brits, it'll be time to go after the Chinese
> and Japanese. That'll be a slightly bigger project, I fear.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /
> recent addition: Yueguang Baicha

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy > writes:

> On Jul 22, 3:57 pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> > Space Cowboy > writes:

> > > Which leads me to believe at least you've never had a proper tea
> > > service.

> > Which is to say, there's one proper way and then there are all the
> > other ways.
> >
> > > Any place in the US that makes a stab at tea service offers cream.

> > So that settles it: the USA is the measure of all things.
> >
> > > Anyway I know enough to offer cream and sugar to tea drinkers just
> > > in case.

> > Once you've educated the Brits, it'll be time to go after the Chinese
> > and Japanese. That'll be a slightly bigger project, I fear.

> Geography lesson: China and Japan arent 'in the west'.

Oh, thanks.

> Youre the guy who admitted not knowing anything about British
> blends. Every proper tea service Ive seen from England has a cream
> and sugar set. There is a reason they call it a tea set. Its
> always been a British argument: what comes first cream or sugar.

Or, maybe, milk or sugar?

> I think my use of the word 'proper' is consistent with British
> understanding. Would you be in less of a snit if I used 'formal'.

I'd be in less of a snit if you refrained from telling Nigel, of all
people, he'd "never had a proper tea service." Or if you apologized
to him. Nigel knows things about tea agriculture and manufacture that
nobody else on RFDT knows, and he's one of the main reasons I still
follow this group. There are a number of interesting tea people
who've given up on this newsgroup, and I'd hate to see him leave, too.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

If your argument is milk in lieu of cream then you win the parsing
argument. As far as Nigel did you ever think his reputation preceeds
him to the extent nobody offers him dairy or sugar. I still want to
know on formal tea occasions if he has ever been offered dairy. And
by offered that also means a cream and sugar set he ignored.
Everybody probably fled to blogs where they drink coffee and talk
about tea.

Jim

On Jul 23, 8:27 am, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Space Cowboy > writes:

> > > Which is to say, there's one proper way and then there are all the
> > > other ways.

> > > So that settles it: the USA is the measure of all things.

> > > Once you've educated the Brits, it'll be time to go after the Chinese
> > > and Japanese. That'll be a slightly bigger project, I fear.

> > Geography lesson: China and Japan arent 'in the west'.

> Oh, thanks.
>
> > Youre the guy who admitted not knowing anything about British
> > blends. Every proper tea service Ive seen from England has a cream
> > and sugar set. There is a reason they call it a tea set. Its
> > always been a British argument: what comes first cream or sugar.

> Or, maybe, milk or sugar?
>
> > I think my use of the word 'proper' is consistent with British
> > understanding. Would you be in less of a snit if I used 'formal'.

> I'd be in less of a snit if you refrained from telling Nigel, of all
> people, he'd "never had a proper tea service." Or if you apologized
> to him. Nigel knows things about tea agriculture and manufacture that
> nobody else on RFDT knows, and he's one of the main reasons I still
> follow this group. There are a number of interesting tea people
> who've given up on this newsgroup, and I'd hate to see him leave, too.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

viconyteas > wrote:

>panyong congou is a type of congou black tea produced in Fujian
>province, China which along with zhenghe and bailin are considered to
>be the three congou black tea of Fujian.

I was in Montreal last week, and was directed to a very fine tea shop
called "Camellia sinensis" in the Latin Quarter. They were good folks
there, and they sold me a bag of something marked "jin zhen" which was
reminscent in leaf shape and flavour of the panyong congou which I have
drunk before. What is this? Is it the same thing with a more proper
name?
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin > wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) writes:

>> viconyteas > wrote:
>> >
>> >panyong congou is a type of congou black tea produced in Fujian
>> >province, China which along with zhenghe and bailin are considered to
>> >be the three congou black tea of Fujian.

>> I was in Montreal last week, and was directed to a very fine tea shop
>> called "Camellia sinensis" in the Latin Quarter.

>That's so strange! I spent a delightful morning there Saturday the
>1st of this month.

Did you attend Worldcon? It was a fine reason to be in Montreal.

>> They were good folks there, and they sold me a bag of something
>> marked "jin zhen" which was reminscent in leaf shape and flavour of
>> the panyong congou which I have drunk before. What is this? Is it
>> the same thing with a more proper name?

>If by "proper" you mean "specific", not really: "Jin Zhen" is used to
>cover a fairly wide range of teas:
>
> http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcar...hrase=jin+zhen

I was told that "congou" is a trading name meaning any sort of black (red)
tea, and that "panyong congou" was a general word for a whole set of Fujian
blacks. I was also told that it was a word that was never used in China,
just used for marketing outside of China. I cannot vouch for the accuracy
of this, though.
--scott

Keemun Ripon Tea 17 17-04-2009 02:54 AM
Old Keemun Alan Petrillo Tea 29 25-06-2007 03:00 PM
qi-men red tea vs keemun... SN Tea 5 29-08-2006 07:06 PM
Keemun jenandcleo Tea 16 27-06-2006 12:25 AM
Keemun Tea Mike Fulton Tea 2 14-07-2005 10:37 PM