Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

Default a US based store ship ups/fedex for quality green/oolongs ?

i wanted tea straight from china, with minimal storage in a
warehouse's corner...

but having delivery problems due to local USPS idiot & lazy postal
workers here in NY,

are there any US based stores that have good quality green/oolongs and
that ship ups/fedex?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 9, 6:30 pm, SN > wrote:
> i wanted tea straight from china, with minimal storage in a
> warehouse's corner...
>
> but having delivery problems due to local USPS idiot & lazy postal
> workers here in NY,
>
> are there any US based stores that have good quality green/oolongs and
> that ship ups/fedex?

I'm sure a lot of vendors will ship UPS if you ask. Chado will in LA
and ITC will if you request. I think SpecialTeas does if requested, as
well.
Do you have these problems with Priority Mail?
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

any mail , when i moved here they held my packages (which had tracking
and insurance) in their offices for 2 weeks without giving me a
notice, without updating the tracking, then i got a notice for 1
package i had to go investigate and waste some hours.
another time they 'attempted delivery' without a leaving a paper
notice, and i was home waiting for delivery!
another time they signed themselves for delivery but there was no
package delivered.
no problems with ups/fedex.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2007-09-10, SN > wrote:

> but having delivery problems due to local USPS idiot & lazy postal
> workers here in NY,
>
> are there any US based stores that have good quality green/oolongs and
> that ship ups/fedex?

Since you're in NY, have you been by the Tea Gallery? If not, you should
check them out - visit if you're in the city or call if not... they
finally have some prices listed.

http://theteagallery.com/

You could also try Imen Shan from Tea Habitat out here in California (a
member of this group and, (full disclosure), friend / fellow tea nerd
and member of our little tasting group) - she has some interesting
stuff; she doesn't have a big online presence, but if you give her a
call, I bet she could sort you out.

http://teahabitat.com/
http://tea-obsession.blogspot.com/

I know for a fact that she has some interesting Dan Congs that just came
in (some very high end ones and some really nice middle of the road
(price wise) ones.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 10, 12:05 am, Will Yardley >
wrote:
> On 2007-09-10, SN > wrote:
>
> > but having delivery problems due to local USPS idiot & lazy postal
> > workers here in NY,

> > are there any US based stores that have good quality green/oolongs and
> > that ship ups/fedex?

> Since you're in NY, have you been by the Tea Gallery? If not, you should
> check them out - visit if you're in the city or call if not... they
> finally have some prices listed.
>
> http://theteagallery.com/
>
> You could also try Imen Shan from Tea Habitat out here in California (a
> member of this group and, (full disclosure), friend / fellow tea nerd
> and member of our little tasting group) - she has some interesting
> stuff; she doesn't have a big online presence, but if you give her a
> call, I bet she could sort you out.
>
> http://teahabitat.com/http://tea-obs....blogspot.com/
>
> I know for a fact that she has some interesting Dan Congs that just came
> in (some very high end ones and some really nice middle of the road
> (price wise) ones.

Hou De is also domestic and they have some very good Taiwanese
oolongs.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

i like green from www.sevencups.com, for oolong especially wuyi rock
mountain from www.teacuppa.com. one of my fav from them is rougui
oolong but they are not in US though. They have shipping via fedex for
overnight shipment. But express shipping is not free. Sevencups is
local.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Having a courier leaving it on your doorstep in possible bad weather
or the hallway of your apartment is no guarantee. Sign the first
attempted USPS notice and they'll drop it off like the courier. If
you're lucky authorize the doorman to sign for you.

Jim

SN wrote:
> i wanted tea straight from china, with minimal storage in a
> warehouse's corner...
>
> but having delivery problems due to local USPS idiot & lazy postal
> workers here in NY,
>
> are there any US based stores that have good quality green/oolongs and
> that ship ups/fedex?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 9, 9:30 pm, SN > wrote:
> i wanted tea straight from china, with minimal storage in a
> warehouse's corner...
>
> but having delivery problems due to local USPS idiot & lazy postal
> workers here in NY,
>
> are there any US based stores that have good quality green/oolongs and
> that ship ups/fedex?

Maybe Itoen (green) or Ten Ren (oolong and also greens) since they
both have stores here in the US. They aren't my first choice but might
fit the bill for what you need. I just had a fun time getting tea from
the USPS last week. I wrote a little blurb on my blog:
http://teasphere.wordpress.com/2007/...-office-nazis/

The problem is actually with them sending it "registered" from China
that causes the issues with USPS but it is still a pain no matter
what. So, FWIW it's no different in PA. My mailman routinely delivers
my mail to other people in the neighborhood and we all have to meet up
to swap back for our mail. My fiance had a check lost for over a week
because he put it *behind* my neighbors mailbox between it and the
wall of the house. But "he's old" and "retiring soon" so they let him
be... ugh.

- Dominic
http://teasphere.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

On Sep 10, 12:53 pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> On Sep 9, 9:30 pm, SN > wrote:
>
> > i wanted tea straight from china, with minimal storage in a
> > warehouse's corner...

> > but having delivery problems due to local USPS idiot & lazy postal
> > workers here in NY,

> > are there any US based stores that have good quality green/oolongs and
> > that ship ups/fedex?

> Maybe Itoen (green) or Ten Ren (oolong and also greens) since they
> both have stores here in the US. They aren't my first choice but might
> fit the bill for what you need. I just had a fun time getting tea from
> the USPS last week. I wrote a little blurb on my blog:http://teasphere.wordpress.com/2007/...-office-nazis/
>
> The problem is actually with them sending it "registered" from China
> that causes the issues with USPS but it is still a pain no matter
> what. So, FWIW it's no different in PA. My mailman routinely delivers
> my mail to other people in the neighborhood and we all have to meet up
> to swap back for our mail. My fiance had a check lost for over a week
> because he put it *behind* my neighbors mailbox between it and the
> wall of the house. But "he's old" and "retiring soon" so they let him
> be... ugh.
>
> - Dominichttp://teasphere.wordpress.com

thank you all for the responses,

Dominic, somehow i ended up on your blog yesterday, that post,
and i was re-living my painful experience of getting my packages

heh, same here i get neighbors mail alot
dont know whats going on, never had these problems in los angeles.
i'll also call the post office, maybe they can find a package for my
address there....though i doubt it

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Dominic T." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Sep 9, 9:30 pm, SN > wrote:
>> i wanted tea straight from china, with minimal storage in a
>> warehouse's corner...
>>
>> but having delivery problems due to local USPS idiot & lazy postal
>> workers here in NY,
>>
>> are there any US based stores that have good quality green/oolongs and
>> that ship ups/fedex?

> Maybe Itoen (green) or Ten Ren (oolong and also greens) since they
> both have stores here in the US. They aren't my first choice but might
> fit the bill for what you need. I just had a fun time getting tea from
> the USPS last week. I wrote a little blurb on my blog:
> http://teasphere.wordpress.com/2007/...-office-nazis/
>
> The problem is actually with them sending it "registered" from China
> that causes the issues with USPS but it is still a pain no matter
> what. So, FWIW it's no different in PA. My mailman routinely delivers
> my mail to other people in the neighborhood and we all have to meet up
> to swap back for our mail. My fiance had a check lost for over a week
> because he put it *behind* my neighbors mailbox between it and the
> wall of the house. But "he's old" and "retiring soon" so they let him
> be... ugh.
>
> - Dominic
> http://teasphere.wordpress.com

Dominic-

Not sure how much you want to fight this particular battle, but maybe you
should call his supervisor and complain and try to get assurances of some
good service. The opening part I can understand but the charging for the
inspection part is just too wild. If you're going to be getting more
packages from China and this guy is going to be handling it..there may be
more headaches.

I used to have some problems getting mail at our old place and since we've
moved to a different city I've had a couple of things lost. I read about
those times that people have found huge piles of back mail unsorted in post
office warehouses and just shudder...but I did find out that tracking
numbers are really worth it. I always get one now if the item is even a
little bit important. I've not had a tea package go missing yet though.

Melinda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 9, 7:19 pm, Shen > wrote:
> On Sep 9, 6:30 pm, SN > wrote:
>
> > i wanted tea straight from china, with minimal storage in a
> > warehouse's corner...

> > but having delivery problems due to local USPS idiot & lazy postal
> > workers here in NY,

> > are there any US based stores that have good quality green/oolongs and
> > that ship ups/fedex?

> I'm sure a lot of vendors will ship UPS if you ask. Chado will in LA
> and ITC will if you request. I think SpecialTeas does if requested, as
> well.
> Do you have these problems with Priority Mail?
> Shen

Actually, Chado and Specialteas aren't favs; but, they do co-operate
with shipping prefs.
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 10, 3:30 am, SN > wrote:
> i wanted tea straight from china, with minimal storage in a
> warehouse's corner...
>
> but having delivery problems due to local USPS idiot & lazy postal
> workers here in NY,
>
> are there any US based stores that have good quality green/oolongs and
> that ship ups/fedex?

www.houdeasianart.com

Great quaility teas, excellent service. I'm a returning customer.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 10, 9:16 pm, "Melinda" > wrote:
> "Dominic T." > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Sep 9, 9:30 pm, SN > wrote:
> >> i wanted tea straight from china, with minimal storage in a
> >> warehouse's corner...

> >> but having delivery problems due to local USPS idiot & lazy postal
> >> workers here in NY,

> >> are there any US based stores that have good quality green/oolongs and
> >> that ship ups/fedex?

> > Maybe Itoen (green) or Ten Ren (oolong and also greens) since they
> > both have stores here in the US. They aren't my first choice but might
> > fit the bill for what you need. I just had a fun time getting tea from
> > the USPS last week. I wrote a little blurb on my blog:
> >http://teasphere.wordpress.com/2007/...-office-nazis/

> > The problem is actually with them sending it "registered" from China
> > that causes the issues with USPS but it is still a pain no matter
> > what. So, FWIW it's no different in PA. My mailman routinely delivers
> > my mail to other people in the neighborhood and we all have to meet up
> > to swap back for our mail. My fiance had a check lost for over a week
> > because he put it *behind* my neighbors mailbox between it and the
> > wall of the house. But "he's old" and "retiring soon" so they let him
> > be... ugh.

> > - Dominic
> >http://teasphere.wordpress.com

> Dominic-
>
> Not sure how much you want to fight this particular battle, but maybe you
> should call his supervisor and complain and try to get assurances of some
> good service. The opening part I can understand but the charging for the
> inspection part is just too wild. If you're going to be getting more
> packages from China and this guy is going to be handling it..there may be
> more headaches.
>
> I used to have some problems getting mail at our old place and since we've
> moved to a different city I've had a couple of things lost. I read about
> those times that people have found huge piles of back mail unsorted in post
> office warehouses and just shudder...but I did find out that tracking
> numbers are really worth it. I always get one now if the item is even a
> little bit important. I've not had a tea package go missing yet though.
>
> Melinda

Oh, believe me I dealt with everyone there. I live in a fairly small
town so the entire post office consists of maybe 20 people, and they
actually know each and every resident by name and can tell you their
address since it is so small. The biggest form of cultural diversity
is the two Chinese restaurants and an authentic Italian pizza shop and
maybe 2 black families and 1 Vietnamese nail shop. There is no hope of
them understanding or caring honestly.

When I fought it out with the head honcho he stated that registered
mail can only be delivered *in person* to the recipient. Even though
they have left numerous registered packages from China in the past
with just the signed card, it appears they will not anymore... and now
that I caused trouble, I'm sure they'll make it as hard as possible in
the future for me.

My uncle was actually very high up in the postal "business" in Los
Angeles and recently retired, I asked him about this nonsense and he
stated that my best bet was to ask the sender to *not* send it
registered and then they have to leave it. I'm not sure how receptive
some vendors will be to this, but I'm guessing my more regular
suppliers will oblige me once I explain it.

I think they just wanted to be difficult. I get tons of packages and
mail from all over the world, and have for many years for a number of
reasons (computer parts, art supplies, tea, etc.)... why it just
became an issue I have no idea, but it's futile at best at this point.
The "inspection charge" was total B.S. and my uncle has already made a
few phone calls to tackle that issue... I may never get mail again

- Dominic
http://teasphere.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 10, 6:30 am, SN > wrote:
> i wanted tea straight from china, with minimal storage in a
> warehouse's corner...
>
> but having delivery problems due to local USPS idiot & lazy postal
> workers here in NY,
>
> are there any US based stores that have good quality green/oolongs and
> that ship ups/fedex?

www.teasetc.com , www.teasource.com , www.lotusteahouse.com are some
good vendors.

you can give their sites a shot i guess.

ankit

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

SN > wrote:
>i wanted tea straight from china, with minimal storage in a
>warehouse's corner...
>
>but having delivery problems due to local USPS idiot & lazy postal
>workers here in NY,
>
>are there any US based stores that have good quality green/oolongs and
>that ship ups/fedex?

Upton's isn't bad. I have never received anything them that seemed stale,
unlike many other larger vendors who keep many different varieties in stock.
--scott

Best Online Store for Chinese Teas (ship to US)? 5tein Tea 20 06-03-2008 04:10 AM
Store Green Peas For 2 Years shagufta Vegetarian cooking 0 26-09-2007 06:46 AM
Roasted but green oolongs? SN Tea 15 07-08-2007 04:21 PM
Oolongs-- sandcut Tea 4 27-02-2005 04:09 PM
Green Tea quality??? [email protected] Tea 2 20-12-2004 08:52 PM