Old 04-03-2008, 06:34 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Best Online Store for Chinese Teas (ship to US)?

What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? I
have used several with varying outcomes.

BTW, I'm new to this group and glad I found it. My primary interests
are Chinese reds (esp. qimen) and whites, but I'm very interested in
learning all about Indian teas, esp. darjeelings.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:59 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 4, 9:34*am, 5tein wrote:
What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? *I
have used several with varying outcomes.

BTW, I'm new to this group and glad I found it. My primary interests
are Chinese reds (esp. qimen) and whites, but I'm very interested in
learning all about Indian teas, esp. darjeelings.

Thanks!

I like TeaSpring, Jing's and a few eBay vendors who are honorable and
send good tea at fair prices - Yunnan Sourcing, of course, and Dragon
Tea House, Awazon, and China Health (?).
I always have great experiences (fast, careful shipping etc) with
TeaSpring and Jing's. Oh, and Touchatea (for puerhs only).
Qimens from Jing's are superior, especially "gift" and "gung fu"
quality.
Shen
Old 04-03-2008, 08:03 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

5tein writes:

What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? I
have used several with varying outcomes.

I don't know how these teas compare to others [I would be interested in
some opinions] but a friend of a relative does this site, and I've liked
the tea I got from him.

http://www.littlemountaintea.com

--
Aaron Hsu | Jabber:
``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to
Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Shen wrote:
On Mar 4, 9:34 am, 5tein wrote:
What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? I
have used several with varying outcomes.

BTW, I'm new to this group and glad I found it. My primary interests
are Chinese reds (esp. qimen) and whites, but I'm very interested in
learning all about Indian teas, esp. darjeelings.

Thanks!

I like TeaSpring, Jing's and a few eBay vendors who are honorable and
send good tea at fair prices - Yunnan Sourcing, of course, and Dragon
Tea House, Awazon, and China Health (?).
I always have great experiences (fast, careful shipping etc) with
TeaSpring and Jing's. Oh, and Touchatea (for puerhs only).
Qimens from Jing's are superior, especially "gift" and "gung fu"
quality.
Shen

the touchatea website has some interesting items, but if you will pardon
me for sounding like a noob, I was always under the impression that tea
bricks were of fairly low quality. Is this not the case (i've tried a
few cups over the years and was wildly unimpressed). are there actually
pe erh bricks that are actually decent tea?

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...((((
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
Old 04-03-2008, 10:24 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I'm trying teaspring for the first time today. I've used Adagio,
TenRen's, and Jing's with generally favorable results, though I
believe TenRen erred by giving lower quality teas than what I ordered
twice.

I've never used Dragon Tea House. I've also heard that Seven Cups and
SpecialTeas are pretty good?

Old 05-03-2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 4, 11:15*am, Warren wrote:
Shen wrote:
On Mar 4, 9:34 am, 5tein wrote:
[...]

HTTP://www.omega3faq.com/The Omega 3 Fatty Acids FAQ- Hide quoted text -

Off-topic: No, no, no! It depends upon the tea - sheng, shu, where it
was manufactured and by whom, how old, how new! Go to www.pu-erh.net
Mike"s site will provide any info you need regarding pu-erh.
There are lots of criteria. Bricks are convenient, generally
economical and often just chock full of very, very good tea.
Shen
Old 05-03-2008, 12:54 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 4, 11:03*am, Aaron Hsu wrote:
5tein writes:
What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? *I
have used several with varying outcomes.

I don't know how these teas compare to others [I would be interested in
some opinions] but a friend of a relative does this site, and I've liked
the tea I got from him.

http://www.littlemountaintea.com

--
Aaron Hsu | Jabber:
``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to
live at the expense of everybody else.'' - Frederic Bastiat

Please do not post advertising SPAM here.
Thanks.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:56 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 4, 10:59 am, Shen wrote:

I like TeaSpring, Jing's and a few eBay vendors who are honorable and
send good tea at fair prices - Yunnan Sourcing, of course, and Dragon
Tea House, Awazon, and China Health (?).
I always have great experiences (fast, careful shipping etc) with
TeaSpring and Jing's. Oh, and Touchatea (for puerhs only).
Qimens from Jing's are superior, especially "gift" and "gung fu"
quality.
Shen- Hide quoted text -

SpecialTeas are okay. I find Seven Cups expensive and Adagio the high
end of mediocre (in general). The shops I mentioned are all in China
and/or Taiwan. HoudeAsian has predictably excellent teas. Guang is in
Texas.
Happy sipping!
Shen
Old 05-03-2008, 02:13 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

5tein writes:
What's your opinion of the many online stores selling Chinese teas? *I
have used several with varying outcomes.

I don't know how these teas compare to others [I would be interested in
some opinions] but a friend of a relative does this site, and I've liked
the tea I got from him.

http://www.littlemountaintea.com

Please do not post advertising SPAM here.

I'm sorry, I had no intention of posting spam, but wasn't the OP
requesting opinions about various online stores selling teas? I thought
it was only natural to link to the particular store that I favored. I
guess, in looking at the other stores that people have mentioned, they
did not provide links. Is it better to not give links to particular
sites even when referencing those sites in these discussions? It seems
that this would be a good way to get people confused about what
particular store they are discussing.

Again, I apologize for any trouble.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:23 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

5tein writes:
[...]

No apology needed IMHO I think your reply was fine in reference to the
topic. I actually had never heard of Little Mountain before but I'd
maybe try a couple offerings. The quality is a bit tough to tell from
just the site but it seems in line with the pricing.

I actually prefer a link rather than just a name since it saves me a
step or two. I'd say no harm no foul, no worries

- Dominic

Old 05-03-2008, 02:43 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

5tein writes:
[...]

It's okay. It just seemed odd that you have never or infrequently
posted and then there is a refernce to a "friend of a relative". Very
often this list is mistaken for an advertising site, rather than a
recommendation and discussion site.
No problem.
Shen
Old 05-03-2008, 06:37 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 4, 4:56 pm, Shen wrote:
On Mar 4, 1:24 pm, 5tein wrote:

SpecialTeas are okay. I find Seven Cups expensive and Adagio the high
end of mediocre (in general). The shops I mentioned are all in China
and/or Taiwan. HoudeAsian has predictably excellent teas. Guang is in
Texas.
Happy sipping!
Shen

I have liked Adagio's white teas, though never thought their black/red
teas compared to stuff I'd get even from TenRen. I just placed an
order with Jing's--great prices, but high shipping.

On a slightly unrelated note, my colleague is interested in green
teas--actually the Chinese tea I know _least_ about, and I started
talking about some basics, and it reminded me that I purchased some
fabulous tea near Lu Shan, Jiangxi province. The English translation
was Cloud Mist tea (my Chinese is rusty--yun wu?). I'm 99% sure it was
a green, though the flavor was similar to some whites I've enjoyed.
Anyone know of this tea or similar varieties?
Old 05-03-2008, 12:51 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

5tein writes:

Please do not post advertising SPAM here.

I'm sorry, I had no intention of posting spam

It's okay. It just seemed odd that you have never or infrequently
posted and then there is a refernce to a "friend of a relative". Very
often this list is mistaken for an advertising site, rather than a
recommendation and discussion site.

Oh, I see. Haha. No no. I just lurk around a lot because I really don't
know enough of the terminology and general types of teas to make it
useful contributions. Actually, I just ordered my first set of Pu Ers
from Little Mountain, and I'm going to see how it goes.

As to the reference, this literally is a friend of a relative. He
apparently started getting into the Tea business once he was
introduced to it a bit back. So, he saves up, goes to China and other
places to learn about teas and find interesting stuff, and so on.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:03 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

[Alton] "I have an existing order from Teaspring; and I have been
waiting now 8
business days for standard delivery (I know it is from Calif, but it is
getting to be too long of wait for me to consider this good service, but
it is only my first order from them)."

The tea from TeaSpring will not travel to you from California. It
will arrive from Guangzhou. All teas sent standard delivery from
China require more than eight days.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:56 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mar 5, 7:03 am, Grasshopper wrote:
[Alton] "I have an existing order from Teaspring; and I have been
waiting now 8

business days for standard delivery (I know it is from Calif, but it is
getting to be too long of wait for me to consider this good service, but
it is only my first order from them)."

The tea from TeaSpring will not travel to you from California. It
will arrive from Guangzhou. All teas sent standard delivery from
China require more than eight days.

For Puerh, I love the Puerh Shop!