Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default What is qi men ( I assume Keemun) red tea?

Hi, all!
In a recent recent to Monterey Park Wing Hop Fung, I bought a bit of
"Qi Men Red Tea" #1187, $45.99 a pound. Very short, thin, wirey, brown
pieces of leaf.
After having a pot today and last evening, I realized that I really,
really like this stuff. It's difficult to describe; slightly
"shellac-y", rich, and even in its flavor from beginning to finish.
Really good.
The liquid itself is definitely red.
My other Keemuns have been black.
I'd appreciate any information available on Red Keemun.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Shen" > writes:

> Hi, all!
> In a recent recent to Monterey Park Wing Hop Fung, I bought a bit of
> "Qi Men Red Tea" #1187, $45.99 a pound. Very short, thin, wirey, brown
> pieces of leaf.
> After having a pot today and last evening, I realized that I really,
> really like this stuff. It's difficult to describe; slightly
> "shellac-y", rich, and even in its flavor from beginning to finish.
> Really good.
> The liquid itself is definitely red.
> My other Keemuns have been black.
> I'd appreciate any information available on Red Keemun.
> Thanks.

The short of it is: Qimen=Keemun, red=black.

Keemun is another transliteration of the Chinese characters that in
modern romanization come out as Qimen. I have the feeling that Keemun
may be a version from Fujianese, but I could certainly be wrong about that.

The Chinese expression Hong Cha, literally Red Tea, is exactly what
westerners mean by black tea: leaves that are fully oxidized before
the final drying in the manufacturing process.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
recent mis-romanization entry: Bai Rei Xian
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:

> The short of it is: Qimen=Keemun, red=black.
>
> Keemun is another transliteration of the Chinese characters that in
> modern romanization come out as Qimen. I have the feeling that Keemun
> may be a version from Fujianese, but I could certainly be wrong about that.
>
> The Chinese expression Hong Cha, literally Red Tea, is exactly what
> westerners mean by black tea: leaves that are fully oxidized before
> the final drying in the manufacturing process.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

> recent mis-romanization entry: Bai Rei Xian

I don't know how it sounds in Minnan dialect, but in Cantonese Qimen
sounds more like Keemun. Most likely it is just simply a relic of past
romanization by traders that never got changed, just like how Xiamen
used to be Amoy. It's just convention at this point.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

MarshalN > wrote:

>I don't know how it sounds in Minnan dialect, but in Cantonese Qimen
>sounds more like Keemun. Most likely it is just simply a relic of past
>romanization by traders that never got changed, just like how Xiamen
>used to be Amoy. It's just convention at this point.

Xiamen = Har Moon?
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis 11/4/06

> "Shen" > writes:
>
>> Hi, all!
>> In a recent recent to Monterey Park Wing Hop Fung, I bought a bit of
>> "Qi Men Red Tea" #1187, $45.99 a pound. Very short, thin, wirey, brown
>> pieces of leaf.
>> After having a pot today and last evening, I realized that I really,
>> really like this stuff. It's difficult to describe; slightly
>> "shellac-y", rich, and even in its flavor from beginning to finish.
>> Really good.
>> The liquid itself is definitely red.
>> My other Keemuns have been black.
>> I'd appreciate any information available on Red Keemun.
>> Thanks.

> The short of it is: Qimen=Keemun, red=black.
>
> Keemun is another transliteration of the Chinese characters that in
> modern romanization come out as Qimen. I have the feeling that Keemun
> may be a version from Fujianese, but I could certainly be wrong about that.
>
> The Chinese expression Hong Cha, literally Red Tea, is exactly what
> westerners mean by black tea: leaves that are fully oxidized before
> the final drying in the manufacturing process.
>
> /Lew

Lew, true as everything you say is, I think Shen
is referring specifically to the color of the liquor
in the cup. To this I would say that there is a
difference between Keemun Hao Ya and Keemun
Mao Feng. I would also say that the more delicate
wirey types do tend to present more red than black
in the cup while maintaining their full rich flavor
at the same time. I never bothered to notice whether
there is a color difference between KHY and KMF,
but more whole vis-a-vis more broken leaf might
have something to do with it. If I surmise wrong, I
apologize.

On KHY and KMF, others will have more to say.

Michael

Old Keemun Alan Petrillo Tea 29 25-06-2007 03:00 PM
Recipies that you assume will work but don't. Eigenvector General Cooking 43 04-05-2007 05:05 AM
qi-men red tea vs keemun... SN Tea 5 29-08-2006 07:06 PM
Keemun jenandcleo Tea 16 27-06-2006 12:25 AM
Keemun Tea Mike Fulton Tea 2 14-07-2005 10:37 PM