Default ikezukuri in southern california

Does anyone know of a place in or around LA, San Diego, or Palm Springs
that serves Ikezukuri (live sushi)?

Musashi

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Does anyone know of a place in or around LA, San Diego, or Palm Springs
> that serves Ikezukuri (live sushi)?

I'm sorry I don't know the answer. I don't think there is any place in the
United States that would serve Ikezukuri.
In some states I am sure it would violate certain animal-rights laws. For
example, not being able to butcher or boil
a lobster or crab while it is alive. Even if no laws are broken,
psychologically I can't see many Americans wanting to try
this, after all, even in Japan many many people are too "squeamish" to try
it.
BTW, Ikuzukuri is Live + Sashimi. From the word "Otsukuri" a Kansai term for
sashimi.
Musashi

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Does anyone know of a place in or around LA, San Diego, or Palm Springs
>>that serves Ikezukuri (live sushi)?
>>

> I'm sorry I don't know the answer. I don't think there is any place in the
> United States that would serve Ikezukuri.
> In some states I am sure it would violate certain animal-rights laws. For
> example, not being able to butcher or boil
> a lobster or crab while it is alive. Even if no laws are broken,
> psychologically I can't see many Americans wanting to try
> this, after all, even in Japan many many people are too "squeamish" to try
> it.
> BTW, Ikuzukuri is Live + Sashimi. From the word "Otsukuri" a Kansai term for
> sashimi.

I thought there was one in NYC. But maybe it was urban legend.

--
Dan
Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >
> >>Does anyone know of a place in or around LA, San Diego, or Palm Springs
> >>that serves Ikezukuri (live sushi)?
> >>

> > I'm sorry I don't know the answer. I don't think there is any place in

the
> > United States that would serve Ikezukuri.
> > In some states I am sure it would violate certain animal-rights laws.

For
> > example, not being able to butcher or boil
> > a lobster or crab while it is alive. Even if no laws are broken,
> > psychologically I can't see many Americans wanting to try
> > this, after all, even in Japan many many people are too "squeamish" to

try
> > it.
> > BTW, Ikuzukuri is Live + Sashimi. From the word "Otsukuri" a Kansai term

for
> > sashimi.

> I thought there was one in NYC. But maybe it was urban legend.

I haven't found one in NYC.
Looks like they exist in Hawaii though.
M.

at Sushi Ota here in San Diego I have seen them do live lobster. The
antennae still moving as it was placed before the customer. May not be
what your asking for, but as close to soemthing still living as I have
ever seen around here.

peace
jeff

Musashi

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> at Sushi Ota here in San Diego I have seen them do live lobster. The
> antennae still moving as it was placed before the customer. May not be
> what your asking for, but as close to soemthing still living as I have
> ever seen around here.
>
> peace
> jeff

I am surprised. I was under the impression that California was one of the
states
that had strict rules on live food preparation. Maybe I was wrong...

Two restaurants in Northern California only come as close as having
live mirugai and amaebi on good days (straight from the tank).

One other place had a live aji once (well it was just barely alive, but
better than nothing), but sadly never again. Ditto with live awabi at
another location, but it was an instant $25 for the whole thing.

How does this ikezukuri work? Hopefully the creature is quickly killed
first, rather than cutting it up or eating it bit by bit while it is
still alive!

Musashi

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> How does this ikezukuri work? Hopefully the creature is quickly killed
> first, rather than cutting it up or eating it bit by bit while it is
> still alive!

I think that the fish are supposed to be killed quickly, right out of the
tank.
I've had Aji and it was absolutely dead.
But I once had Hirame and I was taken aback when the gill cover flared up.
But I think that was an "isolated incident".

Some Chinese seafood restaurants in Northern California will serve
salmon and mirugai sashimi, though I think their mirugai is not quite
the same variety as what you see at a sushi bar.

Eli Renfro

> How does this ikezukuri work? Hopefully the creature is quickly killed
> first, rather than cutting it up or eating it bit by bit while it is
> still alive!

Ha!

Odorizushi

barry

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:25:01 GMT, "Musashi" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Does anyone know of a place in or around LA, San Diego, or Palm Springs
>> that serves Ikezukuri (live sushi)?
>>

>I'm sorry I don't know the answer. I don't think there is any place in the
>United States that would serve Ikezukuri.
>In some states I am sure it would violate certain animal-rights laws. For
>example, not being able to butcher or boil
>a lobster or crab while it is alive. Even if no laws are broken,
>psychologically I can't see many Americans wanting to try
>this, after all, even in Japan many many people are too "squeamish" to try
>it.
>BTW, Ikuzukuri is Live + Sashimi. From the word "Otsukuri" a Kansai term for
>sashimi.
>Musashi

i've seen amaebi served with the moving head on the plate and once
about ten years ago my chef cut a piece off a fish that was still
moving, but nothing regular.

Michael Errotabere

"Musashi" > wrote in message
m...

> I am surprised. I was under the impression that California was one of the
> states
> that had strict rules on live food preparation. Maybe I was wrong...

Live ama-ebi in SoCal, right out of the tank. Body served nigiri
style...heads served on the side waving at you. After the salutations are
complete, the cabezas are hauled to the kitchen, and returned deep fried.

-Michael

Doing internet searches I found that there are a few restaurants in the
USA that serve this. One place in LA did this quietly, got profiled by
the local TV news, and then stopped after getting barraged by people
calling to protest.

See
http://www.salon.com/people/feature/...obu/print.html