Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Off Topic notion

When I first started in newsgroups, this one in particular, I suddenly
started getting tons of spam emails, and someone, I think it was Brian
Mailman, told me spammers had harvested my email address from my posts and
it was too late to stop the oncoming flood of spam. But he (if it was he)
recommended a program called spambayes, which learns what is spam and what
is not, and sends it to the appropriate folder. This worked well. though the
reality was I was still getting more and more spam, I just didnt have to
look at it except when it popped into my inbox momentarily before being sent
to the spam folder.

Recently I had some problems, maybe with a spybot or trojan whatever, where
all incoming mail popped in momentarily and then disappeared off my computer
completely, possibly sent to some identity thieves out there or something. I
ran AVG antivirus and some adware and spybot programs, and found a few
little buggers that needed to be removed, but I dont know which if any was
causing the problem. Anyways using Outlook was getting tedious as it has
more bells buttons and whistles than I would ever care to use, so I switched
to the old Outlook Express, Spambayes does not work with OE so I uninstalled
the program. I figured I would get a bunch of spam right away, but for some
reason I am getting nowhere near the amount I was getting with Spambayes,
from 15-20 a day down to 2 -3. I have all my email accounts and settings the
same in OE as they were in Outlook too. Is it possible in any way Spambayes
actually attracts spam?

By the way, SOURDOUGH.

Russ Hutch

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

hutchndi wrote:

> When I first started in newsgroups, this one in particular, I suddenly
> started getting tons of spam emails, and someone, I think it was Brian
> Mailman, told me spammers had harvested my email address from my posts and
> it was too late to stop the oncoming flood of spam. But he (if it was he)
> recommended a program called spambayes, which learns what is spam and what
> is not, and sends it to the appropriate folder.

No, it wasn't me, although I use Mozilla 1.7.12 which uses Bayesian
filters on the Junk Mail Controls. I don't know anything about an
external program called "spambayes."

Mozilla's been discontinued, but you can get a copy of Seamonkey on the
same site, I believe it's http://www.mozdev.org. Bayesian filters can't
"attract" spam; it's simply a scoring system for incoming mail based on
your ranking emails as spam/not-spam as you teach it what your
preferences are.

B/

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Brian Mailman wrote:

> Mozilla's been discontinued, but you can get a copy of Seamonkey on the
> same site, I believe it's http://www.mozdev.org.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong. Bad Brian no doughnut. Mozdev is Mozilla but
a different facet.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Brian Mailman wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
>> Mozilla's been discontinued, but you can get a copy of Seamonkey on
>> the same site, I believe it's http://www.mozdev.org.

> Wrong wrong wrong wrong. Bad Brian no doughnut. Mozdev is Mozilla but
> a different facet.
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
>
> B/

Actually seamonkey may not be what you want either. You want Mozilla
Thunderbird if you just want an email program. If you want an all-in-one
browser/mail program then give seamonkey a try. Either way you get the
bayesian spam filtering which is very easy to use.

http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:43:39 -0400, "hutchndi"
> wrote:

> When I first started in newsgroups, this one in particular, I suddenly
>started getting tons of spam emails, and someone, I think it was Brian
>Mailman, told me spammers had harvested my email address from my posts and
>it was too late to stop the oncoming flood of spam. But he (if it was he)
>recommended a program called spambayes, which learns what is spam and what
>is not, and sends it to the appropriate folder. This worked well. though the
>reality was I was still getting more and more spam, I just didnt have to
>look at it except when it popped into my inbox momentarily before being sent
>to the spam folder.
>
> Recently I had some problems, maybe with a spybot or trojan whatever, where
>all incoming mail popped in momentarily and then disappeared off my computer
>completely, possibly sent to some identity thieves out there or something. I
>ran AVG antivirus and some adware and spybot programs, and found a few
>little buggers that needed to be removed, but I dont know which if any was
>causing the problem. Anyways using Outlook was getting tedious as it has
>more bells buttons and whistles than I would ever care to use, so I switched
>to the old Outlook Express, Spambayes does not work with OE so I uninstalled
>the program. I figured I would get a bunch of spam right away, but for some
>reason I am getting nowhere near the amount I was getting with Spambayes,
>from 15-20 a day down to 2 -3. I have all my email accounts and settings the
>same in OE as they were in Outlook too. Is it possible in any way Spambayes
>actually attracts spam?
>
>By the way, SOURDOUGH.
>
>Russ Hutch

Hi Russ,

I might be the person who suggested SpamBayes. It is a
wonderful product in my opinion and I often suggest it to
others.

The simple answer to your question about SpamBayes
"attracting" spam is: "No."

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:01:54 -0400, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:43:39 -0400, "hutchndi"
> wrote:

>>SNIP<<

>Hi Russ,
>
>I might be the person who suggested SpamBayes. It is a
>wonderful product in my opinion and I often suggest it to
>others.
>
>The simple answer to your question about SpamBayes
>"attracting" spam is: "No."
>
>All the best,

Ooops... One other thing:

You are still (apparently) posting with your unmodified
email address and full name. That would seem to be asking
for trouble.

To change it now is not a matter of closing the barn door
after the horse is gone because others will continue to
"harvest" your email address if you continue to use it in
its real form.

You can see how I have modified mine and that might give you
some ideas.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Kenneth" > wrote in message

> You are still (apparently) posting with your unmodified
> email address and full name. That would seem to be asking
> for trouble.
>
> To change it now is not a matter of closing the barn door
> after the horse is gone because others will continue to
> "harvest" your email address if you continue to use it in
> its real form.

Point taken and I will modify it. But seeing as all messages are archived
and available in Google Group searches, wont the original address be
continually "harvested" ad infinitum?

Russ Hutch

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

hutchndi wrote:
> Point taken and I will modify it. But seeing as all messages are archived
> and available in Google Group searches, wont the original address be
> continually "harvested" ad infinitum?

Yes, the cat's out of the bag. But it's not as bad as all that.

My email addresses have been out on the web for ages. I get a lot of
spam, but I don't have to deal with it because my simple bayesian filter
(like spamBayes or Thunderbird's filter) gets rid of all but one to ten
messages per week, without false positives. IMHO it's easier to deal
with the spam with the help of a good filter than bend over backwards
trying to "protect" your email from being harvested.

Full name is another concern entirely, and depends entirely on your
level of paranoia about people finding out about the real you, and
paranoia about identity theft.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hello Russ & all;

"hutchndi" > wrote in message
> When I first started in newsgroups, this one in particular, I
> suddenly started getting tons of spam emails, and someone, I
> think it was Brian

> to the old Outlook Express, Spambayes does not work with OE so I
> uninstalled

I did much the same thing (dumped Outlook for OE). I use a similar
proggy called "SpamBully" that works fine with OE. It's easy and
simple to install, and works much the same as "SpamBayes"...

HTH,
Dusty
> By the way, SOURDOUGH.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:10:39 -0400, "hutchndi"
> wrote:

>Point taken and I will modify it. But seeing as all messages are archived
>and available in Google Group searches, wont the original address be
>continually "harvested" ad infinitum?
>
>Russ Hutch

Hi again Russ,

If I were harvesting email addresses I would prefer those
that are "recent."

Beyond that, the changes I have suggested would take on the
order of thirty seconds, and might have benefit. It would
seem to be worth giving them a try.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Stu Stu is offline

Hans
Does that mean that my details in my profile could be used for
hyjacking. I have read the entire topic and its quite depressing the
amount people can mess with you computer.
Thanks for the advice anyway.
Stu Wright
http://www.cateringappliancesltd.co.uk