Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [OT] ... but seriously Off Topic ...

Hello,
I beg your pardon - in these days of spam and trollish behaviour it mayu be
playing with fire bringing something so utterly off topic to this group,
but, as a thread this spring showed, many here have an interest in music of
all sorts so ... here goes:
For a while I have ried to find out a song I remember from my foolish youth.
It was very distinct, I could hum it for you - it was a sort of nonsense
text based on "This old Man" (you know, "with a nick nack, paddywhack, give
a dog a bone") - the tune however was a bouncy up-beat style which could
have been Georgie Fame or Allan Price (but isn't as it is in none of their
respective discographies). Also, the old man in question apparently took to
the bottle and "got so drunk, he never went home" (here is a tenuous
connection to the group, even if noone here would ever get that inebriated).
Anybody who remembers? In this case, google-san-wa anata-no tomodashi-desu
is wrong, Google gives no hints except two later recordings, one in a rap
style, and of course the kid's metal Rockasaurus Rex.
TIA
Cheers
Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default ... but seriously Off Topic ...

On Jul 28, 11:02*am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> Hello,
> I beg your pardon - in these days of spam and trollish behaviour it mayu be
> playing with fire bringing something so utterly off topic to this group,
> but, as a thread this spring showed, many here have an interest in music of
> all sorts so ... here goes:
> For a while I have ried to find out a song I remember from my foolish youth.
> It was very distinct, I could hum it for you - it was a sort of nonsense
> text based on "This old Man" (you know, "with a nick nack, paddywhack, give
> a dog a bone") - the tune however was a bouncy up-beat style which could
> have been Georgie Fame or Allan Price (but isn't as it is in none of their
> respective discographies). Also, the old man in question apparently took to
> the bottle and "got so drunk, he never went home" (here is a tenuous
> connection to the group, even if noone here would ever get that inebriated).
> Anybody who remembers? In this case, google-san-wa anata-no tomodashi-desu
> is wrong, Google gives no hints except two later recordings, one in a rap
> style, and of course the kid's metal Rockasaurus Rex.
> TIA
> Cheers
> Nils

certainly in my mind it's acceptable for a long time poster to
occasionally post an OT post. I'm just sorry I have no clue to help
you.
Posted to alt.food.wine
JT JT is offline

> Anybody who remembers? In this case, google-san-wa anata-no tomodashi-desu
> is wrong, Google gives no hints except two later recordings, one in a rap
> style, and of course the kid's metal Rockasaurus Rex.

certainly in my mind it's acceptable for a long time poster to
occasionally post an OT post

.. I'm just sorry I have no clue to help
you.

try you tube

JT

Posted to alt.food.wine

> try you tube

Did. No luck. Only Korn and Rockasaurus Rex plus 50s recordings w Mitch
Mitchell. (

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:29:40 GMT, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:

>> try you tube

>Did. No luck. Only Korn and Rockasaurus Rex plus 50s recordings w Mitch
>Mitchell. (

HOw about Bill Cosby "Little Od Man"? Realizing that if I am totally
wrong on this one as well as the resto in Quebic, I need to go back to
trivia school.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks, but no. I think the tune I refer to is somewhat later, and closer to
the This old man formula (with various nicks, nacks, and paddywhacks).

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote in message
> Thanks, but no. I think the tune I refer to is somewhat later, and closer
> to the This old man formula (with various nicks, nacks, and paddywhacks).

What country are you in and what year are you referring to?

I, of course, remember the song ... paddywhacks -- was that Australian?

Geez, those weren't the days!
Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hello
I am in Sweden. The year I believe was back in the early to mid 70s. I
remember hearing it on radio and taping it (yes kids, we used them tape
recorders back in those days, not casettes but reels of tape).
The tune was sort of bouncy and you could dance to it. I picked it out on
guitar, in fact, in those days I picked out three versions of the song on
guitar. One was the "normal", like, you know, Mitch Mitchell, with a
childrens choir("The childrens' marching song"). The second was played by a
hillbilly band in "sawmill" which is sort of a modal tuning on 5-string
banjo - think "Pretty Polly". And then, there was this. With a singer who
sounded a lot like Allen Price (or possibly Georgi Fame), backed up by a
band in the chorus while he himself rambled about the old man who stumbled
and got so drunk, he never got home ...
The original is English, I believe, but it was first collected by Cecil
Sharpe, in the US, in 1906. Cecil Sharpe was a collector of old folk songs
and ballads, trying to get find the roots to English folk music by looking
in the US, where he conjectured they would still be remembered even though
forgotten in England.
Cheers
Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote in message
> Hello
> I am in Sweden. The year I believe was back in the early to mid 70s. I
> remember hearing it on radio and taping it (yes kids, we used them tape
> recorders back in those days, not casettes but reels of tape).
> The tune was sort of bouncy and you could dance to it. I picked it out on
> guitar, in fact, in those days I picked out three versions of the song on
> guitar. One was the "normal", like, you know, Mitch Mitchell, with a
> childrens choir("The childrens' marching song"). The second was played by
> a hillbilly band in "sawmill" which is sort of a modal tuning on 5-string
> banjo - think "Pretty Polly". And then, there was this. With a singer who
> sounded a lot like Allen Price (or possibly Georgi Fame), backed up by a
> band in the chorus while he himself rambled about the old man who stumbled
> and got so drunk, he never got home ...
> The original is English, I believe, but it was first collected by Cecil
> Sharpe, in the US, in 1906. Cecil Sharpe was a collector of old folk songs
> and ballads, trying to get find the roots to English folk music by looking
> in the US, where he conjectured they would still be remembered even though
> forgotten in England.
> Cheers
> Nils

Did you disregard these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdCeo3fxOI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_pxM-NWOg

Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Did you disregard these?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdCeo3fxOI
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_pxM-NWOg
>
> Dee Dee

Funn-EE. Never thought of Bellman as R&B singer ...

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote in message
>> Did you disregard these?
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdCeo3fxOI
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_pxM-NWOg
>>
>> Dee Dee

> Funn-EE. Never thought of Bellman as R&B singer ...
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

Were either of these the song you were looking for?
Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Were either of these the song you were looking for?
> Dee Dee

Oh dear. I thought you were pulling my leg.
No, they re not. The songs of Bellman are (I think) still taught, at least
the less rowdy ones, in kid school, nd not considered very rythm and blues
It is true that Old man Noa did get drunk, at least according to Genesis,
but nick nack paddywhack does not figure in "Gubben Noa" ...
Cheers
Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > skrev i melding
Hi Nils
Not this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFoOJ2s_GM

or was it Cyril Stapleton? (hardly :-)

Have you tried other search engines than Google?
I landed upon this http://www.ibiblio.org/folkindex/t05.htm listing a number
of artists under 'The Old Man'

hth
Anders

On Topic post about Off Topic Posts (that no one responded to inanother thread) Tommy Joe General Cooking 40 24-09-2012 03:07 AM
Off Topic? Welsh Dog General Cooking 2 02-07-2009 03:01 PM
Off Topic/On Topic: Disgusting - Monkey Meat Recipe Dee.Dee General Cooking 7 18-11-2007 06:11 PM
A little Off-Topic: Who are you? Rudolph R?ttger Winemaking 62 19-01-2005 04:56 PM