Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default banneton in fridge????

Ross,

I just noticed your post -- sorry I missed it.

You're probably right about the oil on the banneton. I've only been using it
for about 9 months, and, truth be told, I haven't really used it much at all
in the past 3 months. We use our bread for sandwiches, mostly, and my
2-year-old doesn't like crunchy crust. So I've found myself making an awful
lot of panned loaves.

It's due for a good washing soon. The suggestions about using rice flour
sound really smart -- whenever I get back to making free-standing loaves
again, I'll use rice flour. No oil.

Thanks! Good point.
--
Jeff Miller

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I am curious Jeff, as I have never done it, but how DO you wash these
things, I really havent been using them that long myself, but most
suggestions point to just brushing out and air drying. I think fairly
constant use of sourdough organisms on it keep bad things from growing on
them, at least that is my hope. Is it safe to wash these willow (or whatever
it is) bannetons? I would think they would soak up water, expand and deform.

Russ Hutch

"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
news:mailman.3.1155562339.25523.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...

and, truth be told, I haven't really used it much at all
> in the past 3 months. We use our bread for sandwiches, mostly, and my
> 2-year-old doesn't like crunchy crust. So I've found myself making an
> awful
> lot of panned loaves.
>
> It's due for a good washing soon. >

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:24:09 -0400, "hutchndi"
> wrote:

>"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
>news:mailman.3.1155562339.25523.rec.food.sourdoug ...
>>

> and, truth be told, I haven't really used it much at all
>> in the past 3 months. We use our bread for sandwiches, mostly, and my
>> 2-year-old doesn't like crunchy crust. So I've found myself making an
>> awful
>> lot of panned loaves.
>>
>> It's due for a good washing soon. >
>>

>I am curious Jeff, as I have never done it, but how DO you wash these
>things, I really havent been using them that long myself, but most
>suggestions point to just brushing out and air drying. I think fairly
>constant use of sourdough organisms on it keep bad things from growing on
>them, at least that is my hope. Is it safe to wash these willow (or whatever
>it is) bannetons? I would think they would soak up water, expand and deform.
>
>Russ Hutch

Howdy,

PMJI but...

I believe that it would be a big mistake to wash them...

Just brush them out, and all will be fine.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Doc Doc is offline

hutchndi wrote:
> I am curious Jeff, as I have never done it, but how DO you wash these
> things, I really havent been using them that long myself, but most
> suggestions point to just brushing out and air drying. I think fairly
> constant use of sourdough organisms on it keep bad things from growing on
> them, at least that is my hope. Is it safe to wash these willow (or whatever
> it is) bannetons? I would think they would soak up water, expand and deform.

Russ,
Go to your local Ace Hardware store. Look in the paint department.
You will find both brass and stainless steel brushes (looks like a
toothbrush with 5/8" long bristles). Try one on a dry banneton. Be
gentle, but it will get off the majority of anything stuck on the wood.
If there is any residual, wipe it with a damp sponge, wait 20 min,
then brush it again. Good luck.
Doc

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:37:07 -0400, "Jeff Miller"
> wrote:

>The Banneton I bought came with a little instruction card that said it's
>alright to wash with water and a brush once per year. But I imagine the
>other commenters are right. It's probably best avoided.

Hi Jeff,

I think that I may have confused two different types of
bannetons when I suggested that they not be washed...

I was commenting on the willow and linen type traditionally
used in France. For a wooden one, a bit of water would do no
harm at all, though I certainly would not soak them.

All the best,
--
Kenneth