Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default banneton in fridge????

I picked up a banneton when I first started baking, but soon abandoned it for a bowl with a well
oiled and floured old cloth napkin inside. I like the shape better, and you can't beat the price ....

:-)

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Jeff Miller wrote:
> I picked up a banneton when I first started baking, but soon abandoned it for a bowl with a well
> oiled and floured old cloth napkin inside. I like the shape better, and you can't beat the price ....
>
> :-)
>
> --
> Jeff

I bought willow with liners from TMB baking a few years back. So I
cannot speak to plastic (though I still like the prices and think it's
OK if they throw the texture in for free <g>). Samartha's plastic looks
better to me, but then you have to deal with Euros and ship across the
ocean. If I were to do it again though I think I'd give these really
cheapo baskets (see link) a try. A lined basket/banneton really gives a
fine crust, one that slashes well and holds shape. TMB has a rather
nice lame too.

http://www.tmbbaking.com/supplies.html#baskets

Rice, to Huchindi's point, works the best by far (for me). I buy a
pound of white rice about once year and mill some whenever I want to
clear/clean the mill from other stuff. I've never had dough stick using
rice flour, even wet dough releases pretty well.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Lame (the cutting kind)

There are very few, if any, amateur bakers who succeed to
master the fancy footwork that goes with a masterful lame coup.

For any that might, use of of a cheap substitute would be like
conducting a symphony with a fly swatter.

--
Dicky
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

For any that might, use of of a cheap substitute would be like
conducting a symphony with a fly swatter.

--
Dicky

And all this time I thought I got the idea for these great cheapo lames
from something you wrote, but it must have been somebody else. Anyways,
whoever I got it from, the chopstick weaved through the two ends of the slot
in a double edged razor blade is about the nicest little trick for a curved
lame I have seen. No super glue or sticky popcicle sticks to mess with
either.

Russ Hutch

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I have one of those steel lames from TMB and it's nice. But I've heard
a coffee stirring stick that you see everywhere is about the same width
so may not require any modification to slide into the double edged
razor.

Eric

Jeff Miller wrote:
> --
> Jeff Miller
> Davies Murphy Group
> 781-418-2429 (w)
> 617-767-7537 (c)
> 200 Wheeler Road
> Burlington, MA 01803

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Breadtopia wrote:
> I have one of those steel lames from TMB and it's nice. But I've heard
> a coffee stirring stick that you see everywhere is about the same width
> so may not require any modification to slide into the double edged
> razor.
>
> Eric
>

> Jeff Miller wrote:
> > --
> > Jeff Miller
> > Davies Murphy Group
> > 781-418-2429 (w)
> > 617-767-7537 (c)
> > 200 Wheeler Road
> > Burlington, MA 01803

I was unable to fit a chopstick into a razor blade, and the coffee
stirrers I found were too flimsy. I use a bamboo skewer, as would be
used for shish kebab, and it fits into my standard issue double-edged
razor just fine. Somebody needs to make a nice cheap lame that fits
standard razor blades.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"cumin" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I was unable to fit a chopstick into a razor blade, and the coffee
> stirrers I found were too flimsy. I use a bamboo skewer, as would be
> used for shish kebab, and it fits into my standard issue double-edged
> razor just fine. Somebody needs to make a nice cheap lame that fits
> standard razor blades.

Probably depends on what chinese resteraunt you get your chopsticks from

The bamboo skewer is a great idea too.

Russ Hutch

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

cumin wrote:
> Somebody needs to make a nice cheap lame that fits
> standard razor blades.

You're forgetting the marketting strategy behind those handy razor
blades in the first place! Still alive and doing well, here in the 21st
century, as printers and ink cartridges...

IF someone were to come up with that nice, cheap lame, it would *have*
to use a non-standard blade!

Dave
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> I was unable to fit a chopstick into a razor blade, and the coffee
> stirrers I found were too flimsy. I use a bamboo skewer, as would be
> used for shish kebab, and it fits into my standard issue double-edged
> razor just fine. Somebody needs to make a nice cheap lame that fits
> standard razor blades.

Hi I don't slash my bread these days, I can't be bothered to be really
honest. : -) I don't get any splitting, or blow out as some say.
Anyway, a scalpel is cheap and the blades cheaper, you can get a whole
host of different shaped blades to fit. But I have to admit that a good
sharp knife works just as well if not better than a scalpel fresh out
of the packet.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Sorry to be so dense but I did do a search of archives and still don't
know what TMB stands for... Help :-) nancy

>> > TMB has a rather nice lame too.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:48:29 GMT, nancy
> wrote:

>Sorry to be so dense but I did do a search of archives and still don't
>know what TMB stands for... Help :-) nancy

Hi Nancy,

It is a company...

Check:

http://www.tmbbaking.com/

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Thanks !!! :-)

>It is a company...
>
>Check:
>
>http://www.tmbbaking.com/
>
>All the best,

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
news:mailman.1.1155512027.25523.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...
>I picked up a banneton when I first started baking, but soon
>abandoned it for a bowl with a well
> oiled and floured old cloth napkin inside. I like the shape
> better, and you can't beat the price ....

Yep. Same here. Got several of those ~$30 bannetons, cuz folks
made it sound like they were absolutely indispensable for making
bread. I soon found out different and haven't used 'em for years.
I make everything free-form and don't even use a bowl & cloth. And,
wonder-of-all-wonders, it continues to look and taste like SD
bread...(:-{})!

Finally, sold 'em last month to some lucky baker for about a buck at
our garage sale when we sold the house (just wait'll he finds out
that he wuz "ripped off" for a buck...(:-o)!). Sold him the
*absolutely vital* 10-speed, 3-beater, 500-watt dough mixer, *most
necessary* digital scales, *indispensable* digital thermometers and
all of that other techno-rot as well...(:-o)!).

L8r all,
Dusty
Who continues to hand make great SD bread by hand, out of a plastic
bowl, by volume, baking into a cold oven sans minerals of any
kind...(:-o)!

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 08:44:24 -0700, "Dusty Bleher"
> wrote:

[---]

>Who continues to hand make great SD bread by hand, out of a plastic
>bowl, by volume, baking into a cold oven

A *cold* oven?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Andrew Price" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 08:44:24 -0700, "Dusty Bleher"
> > wrote:
>
> [---]
>
>>Who continues to hand make great SD bread by hand, out of a
>>plastic
>>bowl, by volume, baking into a cold oven

> A *cold* oven?

Yep. Only way to do it when getting LP is 75 mile roundtrip much of
which is over unpaved roads...

D.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:09:00 -0700, "Dusty Bleher"
> wrote:

>> A *cold* oven?

>Yep. Only way to do it when getting LP is 75 mile roundtrip much of
>which is over unpaved roads...

Point taken !