Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default banneton in fridge????

I've had no problems with putting my loaves in a banneton into the fridge for an overnight
proof. Just make sure you flour them well -- I often give the banneton a light spray of oil,
and then flour it, just to make sure.

So, yes, should be no problem!

From: nancy >
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:25:20 GMT

>Hi all, I was wondering if I could put my dough in a banneton in
>fridge to rise overnite??? I've put loaves and dough in overnite but
>not sure if the cold or moisture would make my dough stick in the
>form.. if so will just shape into loaf and put in there... any
>suggestions greatly appreciated :-) nancy

reply to the confirmation request.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Thanks Jeff will give it a try then :-)

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 20:08:11 -0400, "Jeff Miller"
> wrote:

>I've had no problems with putting my loaves in a banneton into the fridge for an overnight
>proof. Just make sure you flour them well -- I often give the banneton a light spray of oil,
>and then flour it, just to make sure.
>
>So, yes, should be no problem!

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
news:mailman.10.1155341309.39309.rec.food.sourdoug ...
> I've had no problems with putting my loaves in a banneton into the fridge
> for an overnight
> proof. Just make sure you flour them well -- I often give the banneton a
> light spray of oil,
> and then flour it, just to make sure.

I have never put any oil on my bannetons. This seems like a bad idea as the
bannetons dont get washed just brushed out and air dried, and the oil seems
to me to be a good bet to get moldy or rancid tasting (correct me if anyone
has oiled these things for many years without a problem please). I use the
rice flour when using cloth liners or without, and never stick. My
bannetons go in the fridge overnight with no problem, they stay in a fairly
moist environment in sealed cake containers. A picture he
http://members.cox.net/hutchberryhome/bannetons.jpg (my apologies for not
resizing).

Russ Hutch

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

hutchndi wrote:
> "Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
> news:mailman.10.1155341309.39309.rec.food.sourdoug ...
> > I've had no problems with putting my loaves in a banneton into the fridge
> > for an overnight
> > proof. Just make sure you flour them well -- I often give the banneton a
> > light spray of oil,
> > and then flour it, just to make sure.

> I have never put any oil on my bannetons. This seems like a bad idea as the
> bannetons dont get washed just brushed out and air dried, and the oil seems
> to me to be a good bet to get moldy or rancid tasting (correct me if anyone
> has oiled these things for many years without a problem please). I use the
> rice flour when using cloth liners or without, and never stick. My
> bannetons go in the fridge overnight with no problem, they stay in a fairly
> moist environment in sealed cake containers. A picture he
> http://members.cox.net/hutchberryhome/bannetons.jpg (my apologies for not
> resizing).
>
> Russ Hutch

Hey Russ you've changed your tag.

Oil on the linen will cause it to rot quicker. I really don't know how
much quicker we're talking but that's part of the reason why you prime
a canvas before painting with oil based paint.

Anyway I don't know that it's significant, just wanted to say Hey.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

hutchndi wrote:
> I use the
> rice flour when using cloth liners or without, and never stick.

I am a great believer in rice flour too. Works much better than AP
flour.

However, here is an interesting link that suggests prepping with
oil+water as a base. The bannetons are plastic in this case and the
base is expected to be somewhat durable. The relevant info is pictured
in steps at the bottom of the page, so scroll down...

http://pastrychef.com/htmlpages/prod...g_baskets.html

I am not sure I would do this to willow given rice flour works well and
I would never oil linen. But I think if I had plastic, I'd give this a
go. I have to admit I like the prices on these units <g>.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Will" > wrote in message ups.com...

> http://pastrychef.com/htmlpages/prod...g_baskets.html
> I have to admit I like the prices on these units <g>.

I'd like to sell plastic bowls for ~$15 apiece!

Say, don't you think that molding basket texture into one's
crust with a form is just a bit disingenuous?

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Will" > wrote in message ups.com...
>
>> http://pastrychef.com/htmlpages/prod...g_baskets.html
>> I have to admit I like the prices on these units <g>.

> I'd like to sell plastic bowls for ~$15 apiece!

somewhat better price:

http://www.baecker-markt.de/cgibin/s...&start=6&dif=5

I think more common for baskets is $ 30+. That is really good because
it's probably a 95 % gross profit margin.

The problem with plastic baskets (and wickers, but not so much) is the
moisture when the loafs are fermented. Then the dough sticks to the
basket and unique loaf shapes of the spiral pointed kind result.

With wicker, moisture can escape. With plastic it can't.

I found oiling an insufficient solution because it traps moisture even
more and it affects crust.

The baskets shown in:

http://pastrychef.com/htmlpages/prod...g_baskets.html

appear to have wide and smooth contact surfaces increasing the contact
(and potential sticking) area.

The one's I got have little studs which reduce the contact area,
somewhat similar to that:

http://www.baecker-markt.de/cgibin/s...t=tartic-backf

compare it to this:

http://pastrychef.com/Catalog/proofi...und_437812.htm

With wicker baskets, the contact area is very much reduced by the rounds
touching the loaf with a very small area. If they really start to stick,
they can be shaken loose easily.

My solution is to use an abundance of flour and shake the loafs loose
periodically. This works "most of the time".

Still an unresolved issue.

> Say, don't you think that molding basket texture into one's
> crust with a form is just a bit disingenuous?

Very sinful, I'd say. See you in hell!

Samartha

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Love how you used those cake containers... read about it awhile back,
your post me figures but never saw pic... I have to get me one....
thanks :-) nancy