Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default sour sourdough test

howdy all,

so far in my quest for sourness i have tested: hydration levels, ap with ww,
ap with rye, high temp raises, long raise times. i have met with the
following success. here is the recipe i followed:

Dan's Very Sour Sourdough

Step 1- 32g starter / 100 g water / 146g AP flour

mix and cover and store 12 hours at 80º

Step 2- 75g water / 54g Dark rye flour / 92g ap flour

mix and cover and store 10 hours at 80º

Step 3- 149g water / 249g AP flour / 10g salt

machine mix ingredients speed 2 (KA mixer) for 4 min

Oil bowl and cover with plastic and put in refer for 48 hrs. Remove and
allow to thaw for 2hrs at 80º. Stretch and fold 30 min apart 3 times. Final
rise and bake with steam at 450º for 25 min and 400º for 20-30 min, internal
temp 190-200º

this recipe ended up looking like this:
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1599400

the taste was excellent. med+ sour and great flavor development of other
flavors. crust was very crunchy and crumb had great texture. i am going to
use this as a base recipe and continue from here. my next tests will be on
the salt question. i am pursuing the possibility that adding salt in the
range of 2-4% in step 1 and step 2 will suppress yeast and increase lb
production. i will let the group know what happens.

btw- ka flour is having a class here today
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/bakin...onstration.php will let
you all know about that too.

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

The picture link did not work for me.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

not sure why, it seems to work for me, try again.

dan w

"Trix" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The picture link did not work for me.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Joe Umstead" > wrote in message
> dan w wrote:
>
> > howdy all,
> >
> > so far in my quest for sourness i have tested: hydration levels, ap with
> > ww, ap with rye, high temp raises, long raise times. i have met with

the
> > following success. here is the recipe i followed:
> >
> > Dan's Very Sour Sourdough
> >
> > Step 1- 32g starter / 100 g water / 146g AP flour
> > mix and cover and store 12 hours at 80
> >
> > Step 2- 75g water / 54g Dark rye flour / 92g ap flour
> > mix and cover and store 10 hours at 80
> >
> > Step 3- 149g water / 249g AP flour / 10g salt
> > machine mix ingredients speed 2 (KA mixer) for 4 min
> >

> > dan w

> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Do you use the starter from (Step 1) in (Step 2)?
>
> In (Step 3) I see no starter so I am guessing you use the mix from (Step

1)
> and (Step 2) when you mix (Step 3)
>
> Is that right?
>
> Joe Umstead

yes- thx for mentioning. use everything from each step in following step.

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

It didn't work for me too. The link said
"http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id" is not complete.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

dan w wrote:
> this recipe ended up looking like this:
> http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...older_id99400
>
> dan w

strange thing- i noticed when i tried to use this link in google, it
did not work, however when i use it in outlook express, it does work.
not sure why. try this one:
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1599400

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, dan w wrote:

> dan w wrote:
> > this recipe ended up looking like this:
> > http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...older_id99400
> >
> > dan w

> strange thing- i noticed when i tried to use this link in google, it
> did not work, however when i use it in outlook express, it does work.
> not sure why. try this one:
> http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1599400
>
> dan w

How, or perhaps better, why, would one "use" a URL in Google?
Yes, you could enter it as a search request, but wouldn't it be more
direct to paste it into your browser's address bar?

Dave
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, L, not -L wrote:

> On 16-Feb-2006, Dave Bell > wrote:
>
> > How, or perhaps better, why, would one "use" a URL in Google?
> > Yes, you could enter it as a search request, but wouldn't it be more
> > direct to paste it into your browser's address bar?
> >
> > Dave

> I can't say for sure what the OP was trying to accomplish, however, you are
> overlooking the fact that Google is more than a search engine. One can
> customize Google and use it as their personal portal, adding URLs that are
> frequently accessed along with syndicated content - similar to MyYahoo and
> other personal portals. That would be one very good reason to do exactly
> what the OP did.

Ah, thjat would explain it, then. I assiduously avoid anysite that offers
to provide me "content". It usually constitutes what I'd consider noise!

Dave
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

since i go out of town often to visit my sick father, i need to be able top
access my ng's when i am not at home. google groups is the best way to do
it, for me anyway. by signing up on google, i can also post, which many
free access portals do not letyou do.

dan w
"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
rea.net...
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, L, not -L wrote:
>

> > On 16-Feb-2006, Dave Bell > wrote:
> >
> > > How, or perhaps better, why, would one "use" a URL in Google?
> > > Yes, you could enter it as a search request, but wouldn't it be more
> > > direct to paste it into your browser's address bar?
> > >
> > > Dave

> > I can't say for sure what the OP was trying to accomplish, however, you

are
> > overlooking the fact that Google is more than a search engine. One can
> > customize Google and use it as their personal portal, adding URLs that

are
> > frequently accessed along with syndicated content - similar to MyYahoo

and
> > other personal portals. That would be one very good reason to do

exactly
> > what the OP did.

> Ah, thjat would explain it, then. I assiduously avoid anysite that offers
> to provide me "content". It usually constitutes what I'd consider noise!
>
> Dave

sourdough starter too sour ? [sven] Sourdough 11 14-01-2007 07:46 PM
Sour, sour sour sourdough Tara Banfield Sourdough 1 25-06-2006 12:45 AM
sour test two dan w Sourdough 7 01-03-2006 09:11 AM
not sour sourdough Aaron Sourdough 4 26-01-2005 05:01 PM
Sourdough Rye Bread is NOT sour - help Denise Craig Sourdough 40 01-12-2003 05:25 AM