Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default sour test two

howdy all,

as you know, i have been pursuing sour taste lately. here are the things i
have found by testing and research to help with sour:

high hydration- 70% minimum

add salt earlier in recipe- some research suggests salt inhibits yeast
growth and lbs can do well in salty environment. i added all the salt in
stage 2 of each recipe.

add 10% dark rye or whole wheat- i used 10% dark rye

long fermentation, proofing and final rise.

use high gluten flour- 13-14%

85 degrees for proofing.- final rise should be cool- 70 degrees, prevents
sagging

small inoculation of starter- seemed to have no effect for me

finished dough put in refer for 24-48 hrs.

allow finished bread to sit for 24-48 hrs after baking for full flavor to
develop.

here are my results:
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1614410

here is the recipe:
step 1
70g starter
100g high gluten flour
70g water

knead briefly. put in plastic or glass bowl for 10 hrs at 85 degrees,
covered.

step 2
all previous
30g dark rye flour
170g high gluten flour
140g water
8g salt

add water first and then salt. add flour last. then knead lightly. 10-12
hrs covered in 85 degrees

step 3
all previous
300g high gluten flour
210g water

in mixer for 4 min speed 2 (ka). remove and put in refer for 48 hrs.
remove and allow to come to room temp for 2 hrs. stretch and fold 3 times
and rise at room temp 1-3 hrs. slash and bake at 450 for 25 mins and 400
for 20 mins

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"dan w" > wrote >
> here are my results:

> http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1614410

Interesting looking bread. I'll bet its quite good, but did you get your
sour?

hutchndi

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"hutchndi" > wrote in message

> "dan w" > wrote >
> > here are my results:

> > http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1614410
> >

> Interesting looking bread. I'll bet its quite good, but did you get your
> sour?
>
> hutchndi

yes, a nice sour with interesting flavor development, probably because of
the long refer time, but for the best sour, see my camoing bread post.

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"dan w" > wrote in message probably because of
> the long refer time, but for the best sour, see my camoing bread post.
>
> dan w

err- that would be camping bread.

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

dan w wrote:
> howdy all,
> .> http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1614410

Very interesting. It reminds me of Jupiter's Callisto

http://tinyurl.com/o6q8g

I'm sure it tastes better though, better than Callisto that is. : -)

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"TG" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> dan w wrote:
> > howdy all,
> > .> http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1614410
> >

> Very interesting. It reminds me of Jupiter's Callisto
>
> http://tinyurl.com/o6q8g
>
> I'm sure it tastes better though, better than Callisto that is. : -)
>
> TG

yes it had a nice sour and flavor development. seeing the comparison- i am
now calling it callisto bread! thx for the reference- lol

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> "TG" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > dan w wrote:
> > > howdy all,
> > > .> http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1614410
> > >

> > Very interesting. It reminds me of Jupiter's Callisto
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/o6q8g
> >
> > I'm sure it tastes better though, better than Callisto that is. : -)
> >
> > TG
> >

> yes it had a nice sour and flavor development. seeing the comparison- i

am
> now calling it callisto bread! thx for the reference- lol
>
> dan w

check out this comaprison:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1614831

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

dan w wrote:

> > > Very interesting. It reminds me of Jupiter's Callisto
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/o6q8g
> > >
> > > I'm sure it tastes better though, better than Callisto that is. : -)
> > >
> > > TG

seeing the comparison- i
> am
> > now calling it callisto bread! thx for the reference- lol
> >
> > dan w
> >

> check out this comaprison:
>
> http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1614831
>
> dan w

LOL, Love it. It's amazing. Good one.LOL

TG

Sour lemon flavor even better than sour cherry Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 5 18-12-2012 05:12 PM
test Ross Barbecue 0 19-03-2008 07:12 PM
test [email protected] General Cooking 4 28-11-2006 07:37 AM
Sour, sour sour sourdough Tara Banfield Sourdough 1 25-06-2006 12:45 AM
sour sourdough test dan w Sourdough 8 17-02-2006 11:05 PM