Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Successful Experiment – White Whole Wheat - Irish Oatmeal Sourdough Bread

Today I experimented and came up with a excellent tasting white whole
wheat - Irish Oatmeal Sourdough bread. The ingredients a

2 cups of Carl's starter cultured in red whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cup water
1/8 cup vital gluten
¼ cup milk powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup cooked McCann's Steel cut oats (I doubt if rolled oats would
work)
5+ cups white whole wheat flour (King Arthur's)

I brought it together in my Kitchen Aid mixer with a dough hook using
only 4-1/2 cups of flour. After it came together, I added ½ cup and
maybe more flour until the dough came to correct state for kneading
with the dough hook. I then let the mix knead for about 10 minutes. I
covered the bowl and let the dough rest for 30 minutes. After the
dough rested, I turned the dough out onto my floured kneading board
and kneaded it for about a minute, Then I split the dough into 3 and
kneaded each piece for about 6 to 10 minutes. Each piece was then put
into a warmed clean bowl covered and left to rise for about 2 hours.
After the rise, I shaped each piece into a loaf, put them on a piece
of parchment paper on a sheet pan and covered them with a damp tea
towel. I then preheated the oven to 350 degrees, (the racks are
layered with quarry tiles.) When the oven got up to temp, about 20
minutes, I slashed the loaves and slid onto the tiles. I also put in
a pan of boiling water into the oven. They baked for 55 minutes.

The loaves are very flavorful but a little dense. But what would
expect mixing whole wheat and steel cut oats.

BTW. A tip from a person who eats steel cut oats daily, a very easy
way of making cooked steel cut oats is as follows. The night before,
bring 4 cuts of water up to boil in a pot. Add a cup of steel cut
oats and stir until it comes up to a boil. Take the pot off the heat
and cover pot. Leave it on the stove top until the next morning and
you now 4 cups of cooked oats perfect for microwaving for breakfast or
adding to a bread dough. It keeps well in the fridge. (When you open
the pot, you might see a green color - it is not mold - it comes from
the oats.)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

When you said you used King Arthur's White Whole Wheat...I have bought
soft white whole wheat berries in the natural foods store but have only
seen unbleached white all purpose or bread flour from King Arthur
(which is essentially a white flour not whole wheat or whole grain
flour). Also, KA makes a whole wheat flour but does it say what kind of
wheat like red or white?

Just wanting clarification in case I am misunderstanding your post.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 10 Feb 2006 15:06:00 -0800, "Trix" > wrote:

>When you said you used King Arthur's White Whole Wheat...I have bought
>soft white whole wheat berries in the natural foods store but have only
>seen unbleached white all purpose or bread flour from King Arthur
>(which is essentially a white flour not whole wheat or whole grain
>flour). Also, KA makes a whole wheat flour but does it say what kind of
>wheat like red or white?
>
>Just wanting clarification in case I am misunderstanding your post.

They make both - regular red whole wheat and a white whole wheat - not
at all like regular white flour. Here is the reference to their
catalog:
http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/deta...=1139614077503

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:29:54 -0600, Bob K >
wrote:

>On 10 Feb 2006 15:06:00 -0800, "Trix" > wrote:
>
>>When you said you used King Arthur's White Whole Wheat...I have bought
>>soft white whole wheat berries in the natural foods store but have only
>>seen unbleached white all purpose or bread flour from King Arthur
>>(which is essentially a white flour not whole wheat or whole grain
>>flour). Also, KA makes a whole wheat flour but does it say what kind of
>>wheat like red or white?
>>
>>Just wanting clarification in case I am misunderstanding your post.

>They make both - regular red whole wheat and a white whole wheat - not
>at all like regular white flour. Here is the reference to their
>catalog:
>http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/deta...=1139614077503

Sorry, that link does not work, just go to their website and look up
their signature flours.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Oh, I wasn't aware of their website, only the KA flours I find in the
local grocery store. Interesting.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:40:41 -0600, Bob K >
wrote:

>Today I experimented and came up with a excellent tasting white whole
>wheat - Irish Oatmeal Sourdough bread. The ingredients a
>
>2 cups of Carl's starter cultured in red whole wheat flour
>1-1/2 cup water
>1/8 cup vital gluten
>¼ cup milk powder
>1 tsp salt
>1 cup cooked McCann's Steel cut oats (I doubt if rolled oats would
>work)
>5+ cups white whole wheat flour (King Arthur's)
>
>I brought it together in my Kitchen Aid mixer with a dough hook using
>only 4-1/2 cups of flour. After it came together, I added ½ cup and
>maybe more flour until the dough came to correct state for kneading
>with the dough hook. I then let the mix knead for about 10 minutes. I
>covered the bowl and let the dough rest for 30 minutes. After the
>dough rested, I turned the dough out onto my floured kneading board
>and kneaded it for about a minute, Then I split the dough into 3 and
>kneaded each piece for about 6 to 10 minutes. Each piece was then put
>into a warmed clean bowl covered and left to rise for about 2 hours.
>After the rise, I shaped each piece into a loaf, put them on a piece
>of parchment paper on a sheet pan and covered them with a damp tea
>towel. I then preheated the oven to 350 degrees, (the racks are
>layered with quarry tiles.) When the oven got up to temp, about 20
>minutes, I slashed the loaves and slid onto the tiles. I also put in
>a pan of boiling water into the oven. They baked for 55 minutes.
>
>The loaves are very flavorful but a little dense. But what would
>expect mixing whole wheat and steel cut oats.
>
>BTW. A tip from a person who eats steel cut oats daily, a very easy
>way of making cooked steel cut oats is as follows. The night before,
>bring 4 cuts of water up to boil in a pot. Add a cup of steel cut
>oats and stir until it comes up to a boil. Take the pot off the heat
>and cover pot. Leave it on the stove top until the next morning and
>you now 4 cups of cooked oats perfect for microwaving for breakfast or
>adding to a bread dough. It keeps well in the fridge. (When you open
>the pot, you might see a green color - it is not mold - it comes from
>the oats.)

I put 1 cup steel cut oats in a large microwaveable bowl and add 4
cups water. Zap for 16 minutes. Adjust timing to your microwave. We
make it every morning. Put the stuff in, take a shower, come out to a
hot breakfast.

I use the cooked oats in breads all the time. I like to add them to
Anadama bread, too, or just male a moist, oatmeal loaf.

Boron