Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Intro: saying hi...

I was reading some of the posts here, and thought I will say hi.

I live in the SF bay area, and I bake bread for the past 30 years (with
yeast)... I never took a course, never read a book about bread baking,
I just learned as I go..

Many of the things I learned over the years are posted here, and I find
it funny when I read that there are proper terms for things I do when I
bake bread, which I thought are "my secretes" (like Autolyse for ex.)

In the past few months I decided to learn more about sourdough and did
some research on the web, and founded this list..

I have created my own starter and baked with it. I like the crumb and
the speed, but the flavor was kinda plain.. With commercial yeast you
get some flavor, although common, but it has some flavor.
I have received some Carl's starter a week or so ago and I have baked a
few times with it.. Again, it works well, but the breads come out
missing something...

There is lots of info here, and the FAQ is good too, so I intend to do
some more experiments and see how to improve on what I am doing.

I have a couple of questions:
- Does anyone use "Patent flour"?
- Do commercial bakeries add some kind of acid to their "Sourdough"
bread to get this elusive tang?

Thanks,

Arie

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I don't know about bakeries but in Zojirushi's bread machine manual for
Light Sourdough Bread there is apple cider vinegar listed as an ingredient
even there is no rye flour used.

"Arie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
| I was reading some of the posts here, and thought I will say hi.
|
| I live in the SF bay area, and I bake bread for the past 30 years (with
| yeast)... I never took a course, never read a book about bread baking,
| I just learned as I go..
|
| Many of the things I learned over the years are posted here, and I find
| it funny when I read that there are proper terms for things I do when I
| bake bread, which I thought are "my secretes" (like Autolyse for ex.)
|
| In the past few months I decided to learn more about sourdough and did
| some research on the web, and founded this list..
|

| I have created my own starter and baked with it. I like the crumb and
| the speed, but the flavor was kinda plain.. With commercial yeast you
| get some flavor, although common, but it has some flavor.
| I have received some Carl's starter a week or so ago and I have baked a
| few times with it.. Again, it works well, but the breads come out
| missing something...
|
| There is lots of info here, and the FAQ is good too, so I intend to do
| some more experiments and see how to improve on what I am doing.
|
| I have a couple of questions:
| - Does anyone use "Patent flour"?
| - Do commercial bakeries add some kind of acid to their "Sourdough"
| bread to get this elusive tang?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Arie

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Tom Waga" > wrote in message news:ykjFf.331330$tl.162138@pd7tw3no...

> I don't know about bakeries but in Zojirushi's bread machine manual for
> Light Sourdough Bread there is apple cider vinegar listed as an ingredient
> even there is no rye flour used.

Advice givers, step right up. Anybody can do it! Don't be shy!

Cider vinegar is also good against dandruff ( http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_dand.htm )

--
Dicky

___________________
Sourdough FAQ guide at
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/newcomertips.html

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:

> "Tom Waga" > wrote in message
>
>> I don't know about bakeries but in Zojirushi's bread machine manual
>> for Light Sourdough Bread there is apple cider vinegar listed as an
>> ingredient even there is no rye flour used.

> Advice givers, step right up. Anybody can do it! Don't be shy!
>
> Cider vinegar is also good against dandruff (

Listerine was invented as a dandruff remedy.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hi Arie:

With regard to sourdough, here is the url which I refer to a lot; from
starter to recipes:

http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Have fun!
Tina

"Arie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I was reading some of the posts here, and thought I will say hi.
>
> I live in the SF bay area, and I bake bread for the past 30 years (with
> yeast)... I never took a course, never read a book about bread baking,
> I just learned as I go..
>
> Many of the things I learned over the years are posted here, and I find
> it funny when I read that there are proper terms for things I do when I
> bake bread, which I thought are "my secretes" (like Autolyse for ex.)
>
> In the past few months I decided to learn more about sourdough and did
> some research on the web, and founded this list..
>

> I have created my own starter and baked with it. I like the crumb and
> the speed, but the flavor was kinda plain.. With commercial yeast you
> get some flavor, although common, but it has some flavor.
> I have received some Carl's starter a week or so ago and I have baked a
> few times with it.. Again, it works well, but the breads come out
> missing something...
>
> There is lots of info here, and the FAQ is good too, so I intend to do
> some more experiments and see how to improve on what I am doing.
>
> I have a couple of questions:
> - Does anyone use "Patent flour"?
> - Do commercial bakeries add some kind of acid to their "Sourdough"
> bread to get this elusive tang?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arie

My Intro Kiss-The-CooK.110mb General Cooking 141 01-06-2008 10:29 AM
intro cj5 Tea 0 10-09-2006 05:18 PM
Intro HeatherB Tea 5 09-07-2006 10:12 PM
Intro [email protected] Sourdough 1 28-10-2005 12:07 AM
Intro VikingQueen14 General Cooking 22 28-01-2005 04:07 AM