VikingQueen14

Default Intro

Hi!

I haven't posted on rec.food.cooking or rec.food.recipes for the
longest time. Left due to the obnoxious spam I was receiving but
discovered I can access groups once again using my Yahoo e-mail addy.

I'm still living in the high desert of California where I reside with
hubby (married almost 24 years), our two kids (one in college the
other in high school) and our three cats. Awhile back our dog, Nikki,
left for the Rainbow Bridge and I recently lost our cat, Smokey. She
disappeared about a month ago and is dearly missed. I still have three
cats though.

Since I last posted, I went back to my old reporting job but left when
our new editor arrived. It was time to move on.

I'm still at Yahoo where I own several food groups but missed all you
guys at Usenet.

Well, I'm glad to see some of the old faces and hope to make new
friends,

Mary

Lucy

Hi Mick,
I'm fairly new here too. I subscribed to this newsgroup not long ago to
learn more about cooking. I am just now learning how to. It's rather a
pleasant NG.. welcome!
lucy

"Michael O'Donnell" > wrote in message
t...

> Hi there all.
> The name's Michael ( or Mick if you prefer ).
> I live in Australia and like the finer foods in life. I enjoy dining
> out ( in restaurants and by the BBQ ! ), and a nice wine with my meal (
> or beer - depends on the fare )
>
> Lurked for a while and decided we Aussies are little represented here,
> so hope you don't mind if I stick my big nog in. There's not really any
> NG's with local content ( will have to fix that maybe one day ? ). But
> hopefully, you'll let me rest here for a while.
>
> Cheers !
>

> Mick.

nancree

Welcome, Michael. Chip in with ideas and responses. You are welcome
here.

Bronwyn

(
> or beer - depends on the fare )
>
> Lurked for a while and decided we Aussies are little represented

here,
> so hope you don't mind if I stick my big nog in. There's not really

any
> NG's with local content ( will have to fix that maybe one day ? ).

But
> hopefully, you'll let me rest here for a while.
>
> Cheers !
>

> Mick.

G'day Michael
I'm a lurker and an occ. poster here from the Gold Coast. The breadth
(excuse the pun) of knowledge here is amazing. I've learnt alot about
US southwestern cooking here and bbqing (as well as 2 trips to Texas in
the last 2 years) US style, I have impressed all my Aussie friends with
chilli basting sauces etc and smoking roast pork in the barbie.
So many people are willing to share their knowledge - some own or have
owned restaurants so can give facts and figures to back up us home
amateur cooks.
Have fun, and keep the 'puter on near the kitchen so you grab a recipe
from here!!!
Cheers
Bronwyn
Qld Oz

jmcquown

Michael O'Donnell wrote:
> In article nancree savoured the salmon then said
>> Welcome, Michael. Chip in with ideas and responses. You are welcome
>> here.

> Thanks nancree.
>
> There's some funny posts in here amongst the food. Reminds me of
> dinner conversation in a way

That's how we "oldies" think of this place. It's a big dinner table where
we have conversations about food and sometimes venture into other topics.
Just wear your flame-retardent undies

Jill

Carol In WI

Hi Mick, love the way you talk. Hope you have fun here. Carol In WI

Steve Calvin

Carol In WI wrote:
> Hi Mick, love the way you talk. Hope you have fun here. Carol In WI

Howdy Mick! Someday my "better half" and I are *going* to visit
downunder! I have always wanted to go there. Maybe when transporters
become a reality. ;-)

Grab a chair, and wine or beer and rest a spell.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Nancy Young

"Michael O'Donnell" > wrote in message
t...

> Hi there all.
> The name's Michael ( or Mick if you prefer ).

I prefer. (smile)

> I live in Australia and like the finer foods in life. I enjoy dining
> out ( in restaurants and by the BBQ ! ), and a nice wine with my meal (
> or beer - depends on the fare )
>
> Lurked for a while and decided we Aussies are little represented here,
> so hope you don't mind if I stick my big nog in. There's not really any
> NG's with local content ( will have to fix that maybe one day ? ). But
> hopefully, you'll let me rest here for a while.

Sure, put your feet up and have a brew. Welcome to the group.

nancy

Dimitri

"Michael O'Donnell" > wrote in message
t...

> Hi there all.
> The name's Michael ( or Mick if you prefer ).
> I live in Australia and like the finer foods in life. I enjoy dining
> out ( in restaurants and by the BBQ ! ), and a nice wine with my meal (
> or beer - depends on the fare )
>
> Lurked for a while and decided we Aussies are little represented here,
> so hope you don't mind if I stick my big nog in. There's not really any
> NG's with local content ( will have to fix that maybe one day ? ). But
> hopefully, you'll let me rest here for a while.
>
> Cheers !
>

> Mick.

Welcome.

Like a man once said - Take what you need and leave the rest.

Dimitri

Goomba38

Michael O'Donnell wrote:

> Lurked for a while and decided we Aussies are little represented here,
> so hope you don't mind if I stick my big nog in. There's not really any
> NG's with local content ( will have to fix that maybe one day ? ). But
> hopefully, you'll let me rest here for a while.
>
> Cheers !
> Mick.

Welcome Mick The real question is.. do YOU eat
Vegemite?
Goomba

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:33:54 +1100, Michael O'Donnell
> wrote:

>There's some funny posts in here amongst the food. Reminds me of dinner
>conversation in a way

Welcome, Mick! If you think of this place as a huge, international
family who all have an interest in food, but argue and console and
gossip and advise and go off topic and rag on one another, as well as
cheer one another on (and know that our "motto" is "the chaotic
kitchen") you'll go a long way to figuring this lot out.

Of course, I've been posting to this ng for 10 or 12 years and haven't
figured this lot out <g>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Bob

Charlie wrote:

> Michael, we don't have meat pies nor beetroot in our hamburgers. We are
> lacking in some essential nutrients here in California. I do have a
> personal supply of Vegemite though.

Doesn't Ovaltine fill the same nutritional niche as Vegemite?

I consume lots of Ovaltine, and I justify it by telling myself, "this is
taking the place of Vegemite."

Bob

Charles Gifford

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Charlie wrote:
>
> > Michael, we don't have meat pies nor beetroot in our hamburgers. We are
> > lacking in some essential nutrients here in California. I do have a
> > personal supply of Vegemite though.

> Doesn't Ovaltine fill the same nutritional niche as Vegemite?
>
> I consume lots of Ovaltine, and I justify it by telling myself, "this is
> taking the place of Vegemite."
>
> Bob

I like Ovaltine too (Chocolate flavor), but it cannot replace Vegemite. They
are entirely different. I doubt that Ovaltine would be very good spread on
toast.

Charlie

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 05:26:41a, Michael O'Donnell wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article Charles Gifford savoured the salmon then said
>> "Michael O'Donnell" <> wrote ...
>> >
>> > I find Australian cuisine ( as I know it ) similar to Californian
>> > cuisine ( as I know it ).

>> Michael, we don't have meat pies nor beetroot in our hamburgers.

> LOL ! Ok - got me there.
> I did however have a VERY authentic meat pie in SF once. Just like
> home, it was terrific.
>
> As for beetroot in the burgers ... well, you've got to have beetroot at
> a barbie too ! People would look at me a bit weird over there for that

That's pickled beetroot, right? I make my own several times a year, but hvae
never tried it on a burger.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 06:15:52a, Michael O'Donnell tittered and giggled, and
giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> In article Wayne Boatwright savoured the salmon then said
>> On Tue 25 Jan 2005 05:26:41a, Michael O'Donnell wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > In article Charles Gifford savoured the salmon then said

>> > LOL ! Ok - got me there.
>> > I did however have a VERY authentic meat pie in SF once. Just like
>> > home, it was terrific.
>> >
>> > As for beetroot in the burgers ... well, you've got to have beetroot
>> > at a barbie too ! People would look at me a bit weird over there for
>> > that

>> That's pickled beetroot, right? I make my own several times a year,
>> but hvae never tried it on a burger.

> yup !
> here's a recipe ( although I would call this a 'burger with the lot' ...
> an aussie burger shouldn't have pineapple, IMO )
> http://www.bhg.com.au/food.nsf/Conte...er+-+hfffr0197

I'd be skipping both the pineapple slice and the egg!

Wayne

Charles Gifford

"Michael O'Donnell" > wrote in message
t...

> Ovaltine has other flavours ? That seems so .... wrong !

Hee, hee! Just the "Original" and "Chocolate" as far as I know. Original is
fine, I just happen to be a lover of chocolate.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Tue 25 Jan 2005 06:15:52a, Michael O'Donnell tittered and giggled, and
> giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...
>
> > In article Wayne Boatwright savoured the salmon then said
> >> On Tue 25 Jan 2005 05:26:41a, Michael O'Donnell wrote in
> >> rec.food.cooking:

> >> That's pickled beetroot, right? I make my own several times a year,
> >> but hvae never tried it on a burger.

> > yup !
> > here's a recipe ( although I would call this a 'burger with the lot' ...
> > an aussie burger shouldn't have pineapple, IMO )

http://www.bhg.com.au/food.nsf/Conte...er+-+hfffr0197

> I'd be skipping both the pineapple slice and the egg!
>
> Wayne

Don't miss trying it Wayne! The egg makes a nice addition. The pineapple is
pretty good too. I have to admit that I don't like all this together
though -- mostly because I can't open my mouth far enough. The beetroot is
the best thing though - substitute it for the usual dill pickle.

Charlie

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 07:19:15p, Charles Gifford wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Tue 25 Jan 2005 06:15:52a, Michael O'Donnell tittered and giggled,
>> and giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...
>>
>> > In article Wayne Boatwright savoured the salmon then said

>> > yup !
>> > here's a recipe ( although I would call this a 'burger with the lot'
>> > ... an aussie burger shouldn't have pineapple, IMO )
>> >

> http://www.bhg.com.au/food.nsf/Conte...er+-+hfffr0197
>>
>> I'd be skipping both the pineapple slice and the egg!
>>
>> Wayne

> Don't miss trying it Wayne! The egg makes a nice addition. The pineapple
> is pretty good too. I have to admit that I don't like all this together
> though -- mostly because I can't open my mouth far enough. The beetroot
> is the best thing though - substitute it for the usual dill pickle.
>
> Charlie

I've had Hawaiian burgers with pineapple and it didn't appeal. I've had a
fried egg on a breaded veal cutlet (Veal a la Holstein, I believe), and I
did like that, but I can't feature it on a burger.

I absolutely love pickled beets, so I'm sure I'd love that on a burger.

Wayne

BOB

Charles Gifford wrote:
> "Michael O'Donnell" > wrote in
> message
> t...
>>
>> Ovaltine has other flavours ? That seems so .... wrong !
>>

> Hee, hee! Just the "Original" and "Chocolate" as far as I
> know. Original is fine, I just happen to be a lover of
> chocolate.
>
> Charlie

Didn't they make an "orange" for a very short time? It was terrible.

BOB

Charles Gifford

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> I've had a fried egg on a breaded veal cutlet (Veal a la Holstein, I

believe), and I
> did like that, but I can't feature it on a burger.

Yep. Schnitzel a la Holstein should also have 2 anchovy fillets crossed over
the egg as well. Yummy!

> I absolutely love pickled beets, so I'm sure I'd love that on a burger.

Oh yeah!

Charlie

> Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 26 Jan 2005 04:55:44p, Charles Gifford wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>
>> I've had a fried egg on a breaded veal cutlet (Veal a la Holstein, I
>> believe), and I did like that, but I can't feature it on a burger.

> Yep. Schnitzel a la Holstein should also have 2 anchovy fillets crossed
> over the egg as well. Yummy!

How could I have forgotten the anchovies! Yes, they were there. The place
where I used to order this is back in Ohio. Have been there in over 5
years. I have found a great German restaurant here in Mesa, but of all the
veal dishes they offer, this is not one of them.

>> I absolutely love pickled beets, so I'm sure I'd love that on a burger.

> Oh yeah!

Do you make your own? I have a great recipe from my great aunt.

Cheers,
Wayne

BOB

Charles Gifford wrote:
> " BOB" wrote...
>> Charles Gifford wrote:
>>> Hee, hee! Just the "Original" and "Chocolate" as far as
>>> I know. Original is fine, I just happen to be a lover of
>>> chocolate.
>>>
>>> Charlie

>> Didn't they make an "orange" for a very short time? It
>> was terrible.
>>
>> BOB

> Lordy! I can't imagine!
>
> Charlie

It was *BAD* (as in terrible). I'm pretty sure it was Ovaltine. Whatever
it was, my Mom only bought it once, thank goodness. My sisters didn't
like the regular or the chocolate so Mom was trying to find something that
they would drink. I guess nobody else liked it either because a few years
later I tried to find it as a joke gift for a sister and nobody could find
it.

BOB

Charles Gifford

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 26 Jan 2005 04:55:44p, Charles Gifford wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I've had a fried egg on a breaded veal cutlet (Veal a la Holstein, I
> >> believe), and I did like that, but I can't feature it on a burger.

> > Yep. Schnitzel a la Holstein should also have 2 anchovy fillets crossed
> > over the egg as well. Yummy!

> How could I have forgotten the anchovies! Yes, they were there. The

place
> where I used to order this is back in Ohio. Have been there in over 5
> years. I have found a great German restaurant here in Mesa, but of all

the
> veal dishes they offer, this is not one of them.
>
> >> I absolutely love pickled beets, so I'm sure I'd love that on a burger.

> > Oh yeah!

> Do you make your own? I have a great recipe from my great aunt.
>
> Cheers,
> Wayne

No I don't. I have in the distant past, but I have grown quite lazy these
days. I now purchase them in a jar. Not like my mother made them, but
satisfactory. I'd love to see your recipe! I might get inspired!

Charlie

My Intro Kiss-The-CooK.110mb General Cooking 141 01-06-2008 10:29 AM
intro cj5 Tea 0 10-09-2006 05:18 PM
Intro HeatherB Tea 5 09-07-2006 10:12 PM
Intro: saying hi... Arie Sourdough 4 12-02-2006 05:19 PM
Intro [email protected] Sourdough 1 28-10-2005 12:07 AM