Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Intro

Hi all, My name is nancy and I've been lurking for about 2-3 weeks...
I bought my starter from SD International, after trying for more than
a couple weeks to do my own with not much success :-( I made my first
loaves yesterday following directions that came with the culture..
Rose pretty good and I did the slow oven bake. The crust is hard as a
rock and the inside was too dense and felt moist altho it was cooked
thru... I'll have to say one will make a great doorstop tho !!!! I
am a pretty proficient yeast bread maker but this sourdough is
throwing me for a loop!!!!!
One question, when starter is at peak, is it just really bubbly or
does the amount double? I get really bubbly but amount doesn't seem
to change much. It must be at least partially right or my bread
wouldn't haven't risen, me thinks.... anyways any help will be
greatly appreciated !!! I have some starter out now and following
directions from Joe Jaworski's site.. I'm not giving up and at the
rate I'm going will have to buy flour bulk for my attempts !!!
LOL nancy
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Well, someone in this group answered my question before I asked it and
I don't know who to thank... I remember someone ( or a bunch ) saying
starter was supposed to be thick, well mine was thin.. when I fed this
one I added more than the 1-1 that was said and added a little more
flour and it does rise !! yeah I know but I'm the dummie here... it
filled jar so I had to put in another so went ahead and fed it...
hopefully doesn't flood my oven before I get up in the morning...
I want to thank y'all for sharing your knowledge and I'll be here to
soak up all I can :-)

My Intro Kiss-The-CooK.110mb General Cooking 141 01-06-2008 10:29 AM
intro cj5 Tea 0 10-09-2006 05:18 PM
Intro HeatherB Tea 5 09-07-2006 10:12 PM
Intro: saying hi... Arie Sourdough 4 12-02-2006 05:19 PM
Intro VikingQueen14 General Cooking 22 28-01-2005 04:07 AM