Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Rye Starter - fed with White Flour?

I created a new starter from rye and have been feeding it for a little over
a week now. I followed the section in Glezer's book "Artisan Baking" called
"French-Style Sourdough Starter", pages 91-94. It is a firm, French-style
sourdough starter.

The instructions start with whole-grain rye flour and then starting on the
third day, adding unbleached AP flour and then starting on the fifth day
using unbleached Bread flour to feed it. This will of course diminish the
amount of rye flour with each feeding since you only take 60g of the
existing starter and feed it 45g water and 90g of bread flour each time it
is refreshed.

I have read other, different methods of starting rye starters including the
one Samartha's site. I have some questions for those of you that have tried
different experiments with starters.

Is there an advantage to using white, bread flour (or AP) versus rye flour,
as you continue to feed/grow the starter? or is it better to stick with rye?

Will a strictly rye flour starter (started and fed) be better when it comes
to making your sourdough bread (even if it is white bread)?

Will the starter have the same taste and/or organisms in it whether it is
fed rye flour or white flour?

Thanks for all of your feedback and suggestions.

Denny

--
I can be reached by sending to "my posting name"
at that free, Microsoft, electronic mail service.

Mesquite flour starter [email protected] Sourdough 10 24-09-2017 12:25 AM
Starter flour question Chris[_23_] Sourdough 5 06-07-2010 11:11 AM
Starter pH difference for whole wheat vs white flour Doc Sourdough 4 07-07-2008 05:50 AM
Mixed flour starter Tom Waga Sourdough 0 05-02-2006 06:53 AM
New Starter and Flour Quality Nabuco Sourdough 2 30-01-2004 09:33 PM