gw

Default FAQ location

where is the latest FAQ location?
looking for a sourdough pita recipe....
thanks,
gw

the reason I ask is that the latest FAQ I can find online via Google shows
1992 or some such.
I was wondering if it had been updated at all.
I did find one (count it, ONE!) sourdough pita recipe, but not on the faq!

Kyle has a website, but with no recipes, just great looking pics....
Any suggestions?
gw

Dick Adams

"gw" > wrote in message =
> the reason I ask is that the latest FAQ I can find online via Google =

shows
> 1992 or some such.
> I was wondering if it had been updated at all.
> I did find one (count it, ONE!) sourdough pita recipe, but not on the =

faq!
>=20
> Kyle has a website, but with no recipes, just great looking pics....
> Any suggestions?
> gw

Why are you doing this?

Googling sourdough FAQs gets=20
www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html - 11k - Feb 13, 2005,
among others.

"Sourdough pita" is a total perversion of sourdough, but I Googled 90 =
hits.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
___________________
Sourdough FAQ guide at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Mike Avery

Dick Adams wrote:

>"Sourdough pita" is a total perversion of sourdough, but I Googled 90 hits.

No, it's not. It's a leavened bread that dates back thousands of years,
therefore it was, almost certainly, originally made with sourdough.

And, they are very, very tasty compared to the hideous mass-market
yeasted varieties.

Mike

Dusty

gw wrote:
> where is the latest FAQ location?
> looking for a sourdough pita recipe....
> thanks,
> gw

Here ya go:
http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br.../Flatbread.htm

Enjoy!

Dusty
--
Remove STORE to reply

Dusty

Mike Avery wrote:
> Dick Adams wrote:
>
>> "Sourdough pita" is a total perversion of sourdough, but I Googled
>> 90 hits.

> No, it's not. It's a leavened bread that dates back thousands of
> years, therefore it was, almost certainly, originally made with
> sourdough.
> And, they are very, very tasty compared to the hideous mass-market
> yeasted varieties.

You betcha! And it's dead easy to make as well.

Dusty
--
Remove STORE to reply

Will

On 2/15/05 1:02 PM, "Mike Avery" > wrote:

> And, they are very, very tasty compared to the hideous mass-market
> yeasted varieties.

I was under the impression that only SD zealots used words like hideous in
the same sentence with yeast. :-)

Will

gw

Why am I doing this? hmmm.

short answer?
my new diet says to use ww and sourdough breads, as the glycemic index is
way lower than regular bread.

long answer?
I like to make my own breads, and I had heard about ancient flatbreads, of
which pita is a descendent, and which I wanted to try. I don't do well
creatively with food, so thought I would start with other recipes, and
choose what I liked about them. I enjoy pita, and I had just found a great
hummus recipe I can use on my new diet, regular bread with this just didn't
sound all that great....

the 90 Google hits? are all restaurant descriptions or menu descriptions, or
Kyle's page of photos, except for the one recipe I did find. searching under
sour dough pita, or sourdough pita was pretty frustrating.

Thanks for the one you included, Dusty! I had missed this one under
flatbreads, and it looks pretty good!
gw

Dusty

gw wrote:
> Why am I doing this? hmmm.
>
> short answer?
> my new diet says to use ww and sourdough breads, as the glycemic
> index is way lower than regular bread.

Exactly the same consideration that found me here. Welcome aboard! And no,
I don't have a medical condition that requires such considerations.
Learning more about how this organism I'm housed in works and the
application of some simple logic, prompted me to decide that I'd rather stay
ahead of the pack and out of the crowd eager for a premature end to this
journey...(:-o)!

> long answer?
> I like to make my own breads, and I had heard about ancient
> flatbreads, of which pita is a descendent, and which I wanted to try.

A most excellent reason! And, by-the-way, the same one that prompted me to
delve into the flatbread family of breads.

> I don't do well creatively with food, so thought I would start with
> other recipes, and choose what I liked about them. I enjoy pita, and
> I had just found a great hummus recipe I can use on my new diet,
> regular bread with this just didn't sound all that great....

Super! Dive on in, and make all the mistakes...they (mostly) will taste
just fine. You'll soon have them sorted out and will become creative in no
time at all. Besides, that's the fun part (well, to me it is...).

> the 90 Google hits? are all restaurant descriptions or menu
> descriptions, or Kyle's page of photos, except for the one recipe I
> did find. searching under sour dough pita, or sourdough pita was
> pretty frustrating.

My findings exactly as well.

> Thanks for the one you included, Dusty! I had missed this one under
> flatbreads, and it looks pretty good!

Glad to have been able to be of assistance to a fellow SD traveler...

Enjoy!

Later all,
Dusty
--
Remove STORE to reply

gw

my whole wheat sourdough pita came out pretty well. Crunchy, at any rate,
and more like a cracker.
Very good with my hummus though, and I am looking forward to lunch.
Thanks for the recipe!
mighty fine.
gw