Charles Perry

Default Salt - which kind?

"Amit.B." wrote:

> I was wondering if the type of salt used to make sourdough changes the
> effect on the lactobacilli and yeasts.

There has been a lot of advice to use only salt from the sea off
the coast of France that was gathered in August - or was that
September? Others have championed Irish sea salt with the hope
it would please the Bread Faeries. I think that such advice is
just for newbies or the rich because many experienced bakers have
reported sucess with a variety of inexpensive salts.

There is some evidence that the size and shape of the salt
crystals, if sprinkled on the outside of the loaf, may have some
impact on the taste. When disolved in the dough, however, NaCl is
NaCl and the critters could care less about the origins of the
sodium and chlorine ions. Of course, if the level of impurities
is high enough, they may also be detectable as a taste influence.
(The fish poop factor)

Me? I am going to be like Ghandi and go to the sea and make my
own salt. Not to protest the sales tax on salt, but to
compliment the flour that I will grind from my home grown wheat.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Charles Perry

"Amit.B." wrote:

> I was wondering if the type of salt used to make sourdough changes the
> effect on the lactobacilli and yeasts.

There has been a lot of advice to use only salt from the sea off
the coast of France that was gathered in August - or was that
September? Others have championed Irish sea salt with the hope
it would please the Bread Faeries. I think that such advice is
just for newbies or the rich because many experienced bakers have
reported sucess with a variety of inexpensive salts.

There is some evidence that the size and shape of the salt
crystals, if sprinkled on the outside of the loaf, may have some
impact on the taste. When disolved in the dough, however, NaCl is
NaCl and the critters could care less about the origins of the
sodium and chlorine ions. Of course, if the level of impurities
is high enough, they may also be detectable as a taste influence.
(The fish poop factor)

Me? I am going to be like Ghandi and go to the sea and make my
own salt. Not to protest the sales tax on salt, but to
compliment the flour that I will grind from my home grown wheat.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Brian Mailman

Charles Perry wrote:

> Me? I am going to be like Ghandi and go to the sea and make my
> own salt. Not to protest the sales tax on salt, but to
> compliment the flour that I will grind from my home grown wheat.

Only if you built your own grinder.

B/
Brian Mailman

Charles Perry wrote:

> Me? I am going to be like Ghandi and go to the sea and make my
> own salt. Not to protest the sales tax on salt, but to
> compliment the flour that I will grind from my home grown wheat.

Only if you built your own grinder.

B/
alzelt

Charles Perry wrote:

> Me? I am going to be like Ghandi and go to the sea and make my
> own salt. Not to protest the sales tax on salt, but to
> compliment the flour that I will grind from my home grown wheat.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles

Which reminds me of a wonderful recipe for roast leg of lamb, with
anchovies fillets(Gascon style) stuffed into the skin. Seems like long
ago French peasants couldn't afford the tax on salt so they used
alternatives where possible.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt