Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

Default Bread machine recommendations please

My daughter buys a lot of bread, mostly whole grain, for herself, hubby and
3, 5 and 7 year olds. I'd like to buy her a bread machine. Easy to make
good bread (and maybe other stuff) with, easy to clean and not too
expensive (I'm 74 and on Social Security and a small pension).They live
with my wife and me.

Although I have diabetes and mostly eat dark rye now, when I made
sourdough, I could easily eat a loaf a day. Now, I could at least taste
what she makes.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

Nick Cramer > wrote in
:

> My daughter buys a lot of bread, mostly whole grain, for herself,
> hubby and 3, 5 and 7 year olds. I'd like to buy her a bread machine.
> Easy to make good bread (and maybe other stuff) with, easy to clean
> and not too expensive (I'm 74 and on Social Security and a small
> pension).They live with my wife and me.
>
> Although I have diabetes and mostly eat dark rye now, when I made
> sourdough, I could easily eat a loaf a day. Now, I could at least
> taste what she makes.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Give this recipe a try. It's mostly whole wheat and very easy to make.

http://www.artisanbreadbaking.com/br.../redesdale.htm

Barry
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough
RsH RsH is offline

Check with Sally Ann, Goodwill and other second hand shops in your
area for a used machine, but make certain it has its paddle in the
pan, and that you can get the paddle OFF the shaft and back on. I've
seen them for less than $10 in those sorts of store, and as long as
they work they are an inexpensive machine that is useful.

Also see if your local area has a Freecycle group. If it does post a
WANTED message looking for a used bread machine. Often that will get a
hit as many people try them and then put them on the shelf. All the
machine will cost you then is the price of the gasoline needed to pick
it up.

Next cheapest is a new machine in a store such as Zellers [here in
Canada] or Sears or Wal-mart or discount housewares stores. The size
of the loaf will vary, being anywhere between 1 pound and 3 pounds
capacity these days. 1.5 and 2 pound sizes are the most common, but
all these sizes exist.

The most versitile machines are the Zojirushi machines, but they are
also the expensive.

You did NOT tell us where you live. If it is at high altitude, such as
in most of Colorado or a good chunk of Utah, you likely need a machine
such as the Zojirushi X20 model, which is programable in ALL respects,
as the times you need to make a dough or bake a bread at high altitude
are not programmed into most machines... which are intended for low
altitude baking. [So all bets are off if you live in Leadville,
Colorado, at about 10,000 feet above sea level, unless you buy a fully
programable machine, or really learn how to adjust your recipes for
that higher altitude, and always bake in the oven and use the dough
cycle <grin>.]

If the heating element does not work in a used machine found in a used
goods store they can still be used to make dough that you bake in the
oven, but that is NOT really recommended, since a mild amount of heat
is used during most machine's rise phase.

FWIW

RsH
On 26 May 2009 08:58:44 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>My daughter buys a lot of bread, mostly whole grain, for herself, hubby and
>3, 5 and 7 year olds. I'd like to buy her a bread machine. Easy to make
>good bread (and maybe other stuff) with, easy to clean and not too
>expensive (I'm 74 and on Social Security and a small pension).They live
>with my wife and me.
>
>Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

Nick Cramer wrote:
> My daughter buys a lot of bread, mostly whole grain, for herself,
> hubby and 3, 5 and 7 year olds. I'd like to buy her a bread machine.
> Easy to make good bread (and maybe other stuff) with, easy to clean
> and not too expensive (I'm 74 and on Social Security and a small
> pension).They live with my wife and me.

Depends on what you wish to do with it (artisan breads or breads you
just make the dough and then bake in the oven) or the whole thing. And
it depends on the types of breads you wish to make. AND it depends one
the quantities. Machines range from the small "Just For Dinner" (I
think it's Westbend) up to Emeril's "bake center" that makes 3 pound
loafs at once.

There's a great bread machine list on Yahoogroups:

B/
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

Brian Mailman wrote:
> There's a great bread machine list on Yahoogroups:

Actually, that is an e-mail address. The link is:
You may have to register if you are not already a member of Yahoogroups.
---
I am using a Charlescraft horizontal ABM, but I don't like the holes
that the paddles leave in a loaf, so I run it through the dough cycle
(90 mins), remove the dough to a greased loaf pan, cover with oiled film
and let rise. I then bake it at 375 deg. F. for about 35-40 mins. For
free-form French bread I shape the loaf and place it onto a cornmeal
dusted cookie sheet to bake.

Old Jack.

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

Barry Harmon > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote in

> > My daughter buys a lot of bread, mostly whole grain, for herself,
> > hubby and 3, 5 and 7 year olds. I'd like to buy her a bread machine.
> > Easy to make good bread (and maybe other stuff) with, easy to clean
> > and not too expensive (I'm 74 and on Social Security and a small
> > pension).They live with my wife and me.
> >
> > Although I have diabetes and mostly eat dark rye now, when I made
> > sourdough, I could easily eat a loaf a day. Now, I could at least
> > taste what she makes.
> >
> > Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
> >

> Give this recipe a try. It's mostly whole wheat and very easy to make.
>
> http://www.artisanbreadbaking.com/br.../redesdale.htm

Thanks, Barry. Bread sounds and looks good. She's never made breads before,
so I want to get her started with a bread machine.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

RsH > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> You did NOT tell us where you live. [ . . . ]

<groan> OK, I admit it! I live in North Hollywood ca, elev. 643 ft. ;-(

Since it's a gift, I want to get her a new machine. I've been looking at
the Panasonic SD-YD250.

Thanks, RsH.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

Brian Mailman > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > My daughter buys a lot of bread, mostly whole grain, for herself,
> > hubby and 3, 5 and 7 year olds. I'd like to buy her a bread machine.
> > Easy to make good bread (and maybe other stuff) with, easy to clean
> > and not too expensive (I'm 74 and on Social Security and a small
> > pension).They live with my wife and me.

> Depends on what you wish to do with it (artisan breads or breads you
> just make the dough and then bake in the oven) or the whole thing. And
> it depends on the types of breads you wish to make. AND it depends one
> the quantities. Machines range from the small "Just For Dinner" (I
> think it's Westbend) up to Emeril's "bake center" that makes 3 pound
> loafs at once.
>
> There's a great bread machine list on Yahoogroups:

Thanks, Brian. She's also got a 6 month old, so I want to make this as easy
as possible for her to try. The bread would probably be mainly for toast &
sandwiches (maybe some biscotti, too).

families:
https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

"Nick Cramer" wrote

> My daughter buys a lot of bread, mostly whole grain, for herself, hubby
> and
> 3, 5 and 7 year olds. I'd like to buy her a bread machine. Easy to make
> good bread (and maybe other stuff) with, easy to clean and not too
> expensive (I'm 74 and on Social Security and a small pension).They live
> with my wife and me.

Hi Nick. How much were you looking to spend? To an extent, you 'get what
you pay for' with breadmachines but thats not always true.

Zorashi's are expensive but generally worth it if you need a high powered
very flexible machine.

I just bought a replacement machine at Amazon.com, the Cuisinart CBK-100.
This is a better more reliable machine than their CBK-200 (which also costs
more). I've made 2 loaves and am happy with it's performance. It isn't
'super fancy' and it would be an easy starter machine. The recipe book that
comes with the CBK-100 is not huge but has samples of just about anything
I'd make. They also have a low-carb section which matches your diabetic
needs.

I also have a Breadman Ultimate TR2500. (Long story why I have 2). They
are reliable but the little screen is very hard to read unless you are right
over it. There are no replacement paddles but by suprise I found the
Cuisinart CBK-100 paddle fits (but doesnt come back off, an advantage if you
don't mind the hole and have ever lost a paddle).

I agree with the others that posting on your local Freecycle or checking
your local 'Goodwill' etc types of places is a decent idea. A used machine
should be 20$ or less. At freecycle, it's FREE but unless you live in a big
city, the cost to drive to pickup may be more than you want to spend (or you
may not have a local freecycle).

> Although I have diabetes and mostly eat dark rye now, when I made
> sourdough, I could easily eat a loaf a day. Now, I could at least taste
> what she makes.

Grin, you will love it! Used machine or new, either way you'll find out
fast that home made even if in a machine, is much better than store stuff.
It has another bonus in that it's normally 1/3 the price as well. Since
there are no preservatives, (most of us think that is a bonus) it will not
last as long if left out of the fridge, but you can always freeze it or just
refridgerate it. (Mine's always in a plastic container on the counter so I
find depending on type, it will mold in 4-6 days if not eaten up but it's
been my choice to keep it on the counter, not a flaw in the process).

How's this for an idea? I made a nice Dijon mustard bread with a little rye
last night. It's a 2 lb loaf. I'll render it to *costs* (but have to use
USA$ and I seem to recall you are an OZ person? We meet elsewhere in other
groups).

The prices are approximate:
15cents white flour
20 cents rye flour
10cents dijon mustard
1cent dry asian mustard
10cent honey
0cent salt (Sorry, too small an amount to calculate)
3cent yeast
-------
59cents ingredients- 2lb loaf. One of my *most* expensive ones
20cents electric- very rough estimate, probably 10cents reality

Get the picture? Grin, yup. Now, I have seen dijon mustard bread at the
store, and it's usually a 1 lb loaf for $4.99. It's also not as good as my
own and you don't get the fun of smelling it baking.

Here's the one downside and I left the rec.food.sourdough group in as they
may have better answers. Breadmachines do a fine light rye or pumpernickle
but they arent optimal for sourdoughs. It 'can be done' but isn't a native
process for it. What you can do is knead the dough in the machine though by

Carol, alt.bread.recipes poster

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

"Jack Poulter" wrote

> I am using a Charlescraft horizontal ABM, but I don't like the holes
> that the paddles leave in a loaf, so I run it through the dough cycle
> (90 mins), remove the dough to a greased loaf pan, cover with oiled film
> and let rise. I then bake it at 375 deg. F. for about 35-40 mins. For

You know almost all machines have a distinct 'beep pattern' when the dough
is done as it starts last rise. You can pull it out and remove the paddles
then let it finish in the machine for a 'look Ma, no holes' bread. I never
bother but many do.

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

"Nick Cramer" wrote

>> You did NOT tell us where you live. [ . . . ]

> <groan> OK, I admit it! I live in North Hollywood ca, elev. 643 ft. ;-(

Grin, I was thinking OZ for some reason.

> Since it's a gift, I want to get her a new machine. I've been looking at
> the Panasonic SD-YD250.

Not a bad machine. Main complaint is poor customer service if there is a
problem.

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

Jack Poulter <jpoulterREMOVE@IslandnetDOTcom> wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
> > There's a great bread machine list on Yahoogroups:

> Actually, that is an e-mail address. The link is:

> You may have to register if you are not already a member of Yahoogroups.
> ---
> I am using a Charlescraft horizontal ABM, but I don't like the holes
> that the paddles leave in a loaf, so I run it through the dough cycle
> (90 mins), remove the dough to a greased loaf pan, cover with oiled film
> and let rise. I then bake it at 375 deg. F. for about 35-40 mins. For
> free-form French bread I shape the loaf and place it onto a cornmeal
> dusted cookie sheet to bake.

Thanks, Jack and Brian. Interesting group. Requires more perusal.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

"cshenk" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" wrote

[]
> Hi Nick. How much were you looking to spend? To an extent, you 'get
> what you pay for' with breadmachines but thats not always true.

[ . . . ]

Hi, Carol. As I said to Quentin on a chess NG, "Fancy meeting you here!"

I have a Cuisinart coffee grinder and I'm happy with it and their service.
I just looked at the Cuisinart CBK-100 on Amazon and ordered it! Thanks!

As I said, I've made sourdough, a lot. I actually started sourdoughing in
the early 60's. I know how much better homemade is than store bought!

I'm not an Aussie or a Kiwi, silly! I'm a Sichy from da Bronx, now living
in So Cal with, Jun, my Thai bride of 19 years. Life is good!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

"Nick Cramer" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

> Lol. As I said to Quentin on a chess NG, "Fancy meeting you here!"

Really! We meet in several places ;-)

> I have a Cuisinart coffee grinder and I'm happy with it and their service.
> I just looked at the Cuisinart CBK-100 on Amazon and ordered it! Thanks!

I like it alot. The story of why I have one is posted in the
alt.bread.recipes group. Amusing sort of thing but we lost the paddle as
the Breadman Ulti one comes out *real easy* so we tossed it out by accident.
I ordered a new machine with easier to get parts and got a rare bad one.
(first CBK-100) then called Cuisinart vice Amazon for a replacement so owe a
bit of postage (my own fault and rare to have a problem with the brand
cuisinart).

I am a rabid breadmaker. I have bought store bread only when my machine was
in transit from japan etc for 15 years.

> As I said, I've made sourdough, a lot. I actually started sourdoughing in
> the early 60's. I know how much better homemade is than store bought!

Maybe you can show me how with a machine? I can get the gist of the amish
'friendship' starter where you'd use it for the water but not the whole way
to adapt to a breadmaker.

I generally make simple breads in the machine. Whites of all types and WW or
ryes mixed with WW or white.

> I'm not an Aussie or a Kiwi, silly! I'm a Sichy from da Bronx, now living
> in So Cal with, Jun, my Thai bride of 19 years. Life is good!

Grin, got it. Not sure where that impression came from but we know one
another!

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Brian Mailman > wrote:

>> There's a great bread machine list on Yahoogroups:

As was pointed out, that's the list address, not the group name. One day
they'll invent a 26 hour day and 8 day week.

> Thanks, Brian. She's also got a 6 month old, so I want to make this
> as easy as possible for her to try. The bread would probably be
> mainly for toast & sandwiches (maybe some biscotti, too).

There's reviews of various machines here,
http://www.breadmachinedigest.com/ which is the site built by the first
owner of the bread machine list. I don't know how current the reviews are.

I use my machine to mix up the sourdough dough then I remove it for
rising and baking.

B/

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

"cshenk" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" wrote
>
> >> You did NOT tell us where you live. [ . . . ]

> > <groan> OK, I admit it! I live in North Hollywood ca, elev. 643 ft. ;-(

> Grin, I was thinking OZ for some reason.
>
> > Since it's a gift, I want to get her a new machine. I've been looking
> > at the Panasonic SD-YD250.

> Not a bad machine. Main complaint is poor customer service if there is a
> problem.

I ended up ordering the Cuisinart. I have their coffee grinder and am
pleased with its performance and their service. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

"cshenk" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" wrote
> > "cshenk" wrote:

> > Lol. As I said to Quentin on a chess NG, "Fancy meeting you here!"

> Really! We meet in several places ;-)
>
> > I have a Cuisinart coffee grinder and I'm happy with it and their
> > service. I just looked at the Cuisinart CBK-100 on Amazon and ordered
> > it! Thanks!

> I like it alot. The story of why I have one is posted in the
> alt.bread.recipes group. Amusing sort of thing but we lost the paddle as
> the Breadman Ulti one comes out *real easy* so we tossed it out by
> accident. I ordered a new machine with easier to get parts and got a rare
> bad one. (first CBK-100) then called Cuisinart vice Amazon for a
> replacement so owe a bit of postage (my own fault and rare to have a
> problem with the brand cuisinart).

In fact, I remember the story. You deserve a paddling for throwing it out!

> I am a rabid breadmaker. I have bought store bread only when my machine
> was in transit from japan etc for 15 years.
>
> > As I said, I've made sourdough, a lot. I actually started sourdoughing
> > in the early 60's. I know how much better homemade is than store
> > bought!

> Maybe you can show me how with a machine? I can get the gist of the
> amish 'friendship' starter where you'd use it for the water but not the
> whole way to adapt to a breadmaker.

I've got two starters in the back of my freezer. One is Carl's 1847, the
other from Doug (& Marie) in Canada. When Sai's machine arrives, I'll fire
up Doug's starter, as I suspect he may have moved on to that heavenly
ferment. I've never used a bread machine, so doing sourdough in it may turn
out to be a challenge. I'll keep you informed on r.f.s.

> I generally make simple breads in the machine. Whites of all types and WW
> or ryes mixed with WW or white.
>
> > I'm not an Aussie or a Kiwi, silly! I'm a Sichy from da Bronx, now
> > living in So Cal with, Jun, my Thai bride of 19 years. Life is good!

> Grin, got it. Not sure where that impression came from but we know one
> another!

Yes! I recognized you immediately. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

Brian Mailman > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Brian Mailman > wrote:

> >> There's a great bread machine list on Yahoogroups:
> >>

> As was pointed out, that's the list address, not the group name. One day
> they'll invent a 26 hour day and 8 day week.
>
> > Thanks, Brian. She's also got a 6 month old, so I want to make this
> > as easy as possible for her to try. The bread would probably be
> > mainly for toast & sandwiches (maybe some biscotti, too).

> There's reviews of various machines here,

http://www.breadmachinedigest.com/ which is the site built by the first
> owner of the bread machine list. I don't know how current the reviews
> are.
>
> I use my machine to mix up the sourdough dough then I remove it for
> rising and baking.

Thanks, Brian. I did register with them. The moderated NG's I subscribe to
run very smoothly. I'm grateful to the moderators for that. ;-)

Would you share that sourdough recipe, please? It might be a good starting
point for me.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Brian Mailman > wrote:

>> There's reviews of various machines here,
>> http://www.breadmachinedigest.com/ which is the site built by the
>> first owner of the bread machine list. I don't know how current
>> the reviews are.

Well, by chance I read the one about the Cuisinart you ordered. You
might want to do that.

>> I use my machine to mix up the sourdough dough then I remove it for
>> rising and baking.

> Thanks, Brian. I did register with them. The moderated NG's I
> subscribe to run very smoothly. I'm grateful to the moderators for
> that. ;-)

LOL.

> Would you share that sourdough recipe, please? It might be a good
> starting point for me.

This is just the "everyday" bread we use around here for morning toast.
Nothing artisanal. Goes kinda like this:

2-1/2 cups bread flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup starter
1 cup water minus a couple tbsp.
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. margarine

Put it on the dough cycle. Pour it out (it will be loose and check
about 8 minutes into the "knead" period if it's too wet add a couple
tbsp of oatmeal to sop it up) and into a greased bread pan. Bake at 400
for 35 minutes.

B/
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

"Nick Cramer" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>> > I have a Cuisinart coffee grinder and I'm happy with it and their
>> > service. I just looked at the Cuisinart CBK-100 on Amazon and ordered
>> > it! Thanks!

You will like it! Excellent starting machine now that I've got one and can
really see it. Since this is my 4th machine, I can give good comparisons.

My first Panasonic lasted well. It was similar to the cheaper 50$ or so
ones you see but it's flaw was it did a max of a 1.5lb loaf and the mixing
wasnt 'strong' if using rye or 100% WW flours. Had to go 1 lb loaf to get
those to work. This was however 15 years ago and they have improved since.
Finally burned out after about 8 years.

My second was also a panasonic but a bigger one and it worked well but
sometimes would stop (as if in dough only mode) but only on 2 lb loaf sizes.
Finally burned out just after we got here, about 1.5 years ago.

The third still works. (grin). Breadman Ultimate TR2500. I wanted to do
some of the fancy features at times. Flaw in the machine is the LED is
impossible to read from an angle so you have to put your head right over it.
Well documented in reviews and true, but works well for all of that.
POWERFUL machine that can knead anything at all.

The cuisinart is still new to me but it's a very *easy* to use machine.
Very little complexity to it once you figure out the breadpan doesnt just
'lift out' like all my other models did, but twist to the side and lift
(reverse to lock in place). The 'beeps' are louder which is a trade off for
some. I like the louder ones as I can hear them from another room and know
what it's doing (6 = remove paddle so no hole for example as it's done
kneading). It may not be so good though if you want to time delay a bake so
the bread is fresh at 6am for breakfast ;-)

>> I like it alot. The story of why I have one is posted in the
>> alt.bread.recipes group. Amusing sort of thing but we lost the paddle as
>> the Breadman Ulti one comes out *real easy* so we tossed it out by
>> accident. I ordered a new machine with easier to get parts and got a rare
>> bad one. (first CBK-100) then called Cuisinart vice Amazon for a
>> replacement so owe a bit of postage (my own fault and rare to have a
>> problem with the brand cuisinart).

> In fact, I remember the story. You deserve a paddling for throwing it out!

Hehehehe it *was* pretty funny! I'm actually glad now it worked out this
way as 90% of the time I want a simple loaf and just 'load and go' fast and
easy. Cuisinart wins the award for fast easy settings. 10% of the time i
want to do something more 'specialized' and the Breadman Ultimate TR2500 has
the flexibility once you work the menus to do anything. (I even programmed
in one just for me to 'knead' a soda bread with no rise. Medical issues
here with the right arm so this was helpful when I blew the neck herniation
again a few months back).

>> > As I said, I've made sourdough, a lot. I actually started sourdoughing
>> > in the early 60's. I know how much better homemade is than store
>> > bought!

>> Maybe you can show me how with a machine? I can get the gist of the
>> amish 'friendship' starter where you'd use it for the water but not the
>> whole way to adapt to a breadmaker.

> I've got two starters in the back of my freezer. One is Carl's 1847, the
> other from Doug (& Marie) in Canada. When Sai's machine arrives, I'll fire
> up Doug's starter, as I suspect he may have moved on to that heavenly
> ferment. I've never used a bread machine, so doing sourdough in it may
> turn
> out to be a challenge. I'll keep you informed on r.f.s.

I see Brian Mailman gave a good recipe for sourdough that was adapted to a
machine. His is a 1.5 lb loaf recipe (machine setting = 1.5 lb loaf).

>> Grin, got it. Not sure where that impression came from but we know one
>> another!

> Yes! I recognized you immediately. ;-)

BTW, my official retirement after 26 years Navy is 31May2009. I pickup my
final DD-214 on monday.

Carol, ITCS technically until sunday

PS: small side note. Totally 'on topic' to have the rec.food.sourdough in
this thread (since the aim is to make sourdough!). But to prevent any
possible confusion, please be aware there are a few in this
alt.bread.recipes who use screen readers for the blind. Due to how the
software works, they may 'top post' which we here all gladly accept since we
understand it totally. They are good breadmakers with lots of good info!
They may pop in this thread and ask how many 'beeps' for a particular bread
method when doing the settings, or how many a particular model gives at
various stages.

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

"Brian Mailman" wrote
> Nick Cramer wrote:

> This is just the "everyday" bread we use around here for morning toast.
> Nothing artisanal. Goes kinda like this:
>
> 2-1/2 cups bread flour
> 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
> 1/3 cup oatmeal
> 1/4 cup starter
> 1 cup water minus a couple tbsp.
> 1 tsp. salt
> 2 tbsp. margarine
>
> Put it on the dough cycle. Pour it out (it will be loose and check about
> 8 minutes into the "knead" period if it's too wet add a couple tbsp of
> oatmeal to sop it up) and into a greased bread pan. Bake at 400 for 35
> minutes.

Oh I am SO happy you posted that! I may have to join the rec.food.sourdough
group to ask how to make a starter properly. It's not a really 'native'
thing for a breadmachine but as I said elsewhere, should be possible to at
least do the 'dough' portion in the machine.

I can do a special setup for the sourdough with my breadman ultimate
machine. I can even specialize how long to knead, how long to rise between,
and the temp and time of cooking. I can once tested, then enter those to be
saved and name them for next use. (I forget but it's either 200 special or
1,000 special you can save but I'd never need more than 10 or so and
currently only have 1).

Don't laugh to hard at my shenannigans to avoid kneading ;-)

I have 'DDD' (back problems) which affects my arms and lower back
complicated by a few other nasties so rather than moan and groan about it, I
find *solutions* to do what I need. A bread machine is one of them. Sadly,
at some times even greasing the pan or leaning over to put something in the
oven isn't a workable thing for me but most of the time I can do that.
(Navy kept me on with a shore duty my last 18 months or otherwise it would
have been forced medical retirement at 24.5 years).

Some wonderful people here in the alt.bread.recipes have come up with ideas
on possible ways to work bread without a machine for one like me and on a
good day, some may actually work! I have to clean a counter off so I can
try them but have an interesting one saved. It uses a 'folding technique'
instead of a kneading one.

Carol

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

Brian Mailman > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > Would you share that sourdough recipe, please? It might be a good
> > starting point for me.

> This is just the "everyday" bread we use around here for morning toast.
> Nothing artisanal. Goes kinda like this:
>
> 2-1/2 cups bread flour
> 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
> 1/3 cup oatmeal
> 1/4 cup starter
> 1 cup water minus a couple tbsp.
> 1 tsp. salt
> 2 tbsp. margarine
>
> Put it on the dough cycle. Pour it out (it will be loose and check
> about 8 minutes into the "knead" period if it's too wet add a couple
> tbsp of oatmeal to sop it up) and into a greased bread pan. Bake at 400
> for 35 minutes.

Thanks, Brian. Sure sounds like a hearty bread! I'll work on it to do
completely in the bread machine. Of course, I'll use butter instead of
margarine. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

"cshenk" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" wrote
> > "cshenk" wrote:

> [ . . . ]
> BTW, my official retirement after 26 years Navy is 31May2009. I pickup
> my final DD-214 on monday.

> PS: small side note. Totally 'on topic' to have the rec.food.sourdough
> in this thread (since the aim is to make sourdough!). But to prevent any
> possible confusion, please be aware there are a few in this
> alt.bread.recipes who use screen readers for the blind. Due to how the
> software works, they may 'top post' which we here all gladly accept since
> we understand it totally. [ . . . ]

Thanks for the great tutorial, Carol. Even more, thanks for your 26 years
of service in the Navy. Enjoy your retirement!

As far as top-posting goes, I wasn't aware of top posting due to screen
readers for the blind. Thanks for increasing my awareness. °~)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

cshenk wrote:
> "Brian Mailman" wrote
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>> This is just the "everyday" bread we use around here for morning
>> toast. Nothing artisanal. Goes kinda like this:

[..]heya

> Oh I am SO happy you posted that! I may have to join the
> rec.food.sourdough group to ask how to make a starter properly.

It's easy enough, although some make it complicated. Get yourself some
whole grain flour, about a cup. Add enough non-chlorinated water to
make a pancake-batter-type consistency. Cover loosely, and let it sit
out for a week. When it looks like picture #4 here, it's ready.
http://www.pbase.com/rina/sourdough

Others begin with an already established starter. Carl's Friends
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/ sends out one for the price of a SASE
and so do I (mine is an SF sourdough, an infant at a mere 20 as compared
to Carl's 150+). There are others in rfs who will do the same.

> It's not a really 'native' thing for a breadmachine but as I said
> elsewhere, should be possible to at least do the 'dough' portion in
> the machine.

I'm afraid that's about all you can do. Because of the vagaries in
temperatures, conditions, yadayadayada, sourdough doesn't live by
timers, you time by the sourdough.

> Don't laugh to hard at my shenannigans to avoid kneading ;-)

I don't... works for me to have the machine do it since I don't have
much of a cleanup and it allows me to do other things.

> Some wonderful people here in the alt.bread.recipes have come up with
> ideas on possible ways to work bread without a machine for one like
> me and on a good day, some may actually work! I have to clean a
> counter off so I can try them but have an interesting one saved. It
> uses a 'folding technique' instead of a kneading one.

You can avoid kneading altogether.
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/20...oly_bread.html

B/
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

"Brian Mailman" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> Oh I am SO happy you posted that! I may have to join the
>> rec.food.sourdough group to ask how to make a starter properly.

> It's easy enough, although some make it complicated. Get yourself some
> whole grain flour, about a cup. Add enough non-chlorinated water to
> make a pancake-batter-type consistency. Cover loosely, and let it sit
> out for a week. When it looks like picture #4 here, it's ready.
> http://www.pbase.com/rina/sourdough

That seems easy enough. On a good day I can do that.

>> It's not a really 'native' thing for a breadmachine but as I said
>> elsewhere, should be possible to at least do the 'dough' portion in the
>> machine.

> I'm afraid that's about all you can do. Because of the vagaries in
> temperatures, conditions, yadayadayada, sourdough doesn't live by timers,
> you time by the sourdough.

That seems the fix.

>> Don't laugh to hard at my shenannigans to avoid kneading ;-)

> I don't... works for me to have the machine do it since I don't have much
> of a cleanup and it allows me to do other things.
>
>> Some wonderful people here in the alt.bread.recipes have come up with
>> ideas on possible ways to work bread without a machine for one like me
>> and on a good day, some may actually work! I have to clean a counter off
>> so I can try them but have an interesting one saved. It uses a 'folding
>> technique' instead of a kneading one.

> You can avoid kneading altogether.
> http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/20...oly_bread.html

Grin, yeah but there's a lot of stirring going on there. Can't do that
either all the time. I do appreciate the ideas though!

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

Nick Cramer wrote:

> Would you share that sourdough recipe, please? It might be a good starting
> point for me.

Hey Nick! Old Doug (from wherever ya knew him"-) )do you still have that
starter I sent you years ago? Start it!! Cheers, 83 yr old Doug in BC
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

I saw you ask for a recipe from someone. You might want to use a mix first
so she can see how it mixes, lets rise, then bakes. There are a lot of good
recipes from folks here, don't ever hesitate to ask a question. My friend
and I are blind and have asked for more detailed stuff than a low of people
would and these people have been willing to answer and help in any way they
can.
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> My daughter buys a lot of bread, mostly whole grain, for herself, hubby
> and
> 3, 5 and 7 year olds. I'd like to buy her a bread machine. Easy to make
> good bread (and maybe other stuff) with, easy to clean and not too
> expensive (I'm 74 and on Social Security and a small pension).They live
> with my wife and me.
>
> Although I have diabetes and mostly eat dark rye now, when I made
> sourdough, I could easily eat a loaf a day. Now, I could at least taste
> what she makes.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

"Granby" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> I saw you ask for a recipe from someone. You might want to use a mix
> first so she can see how it mixes, lets rise, then bakes. There are a
> lot of good recipes from folks here, don't ever hesitate to ask a
> question. My friend and I are blind and have asked for more detailed
> stuff than a low of people would and these people have been willing to
> answer and help in any way they can.

> > My daughter buys a lot of bread, mostly whole grain, for herself, hubby
> > and 3, 5 and 7 year olds. I'd like to buy her a bread machine. Easy to
> > make good bread (and maybe other stuff) with, easy to clean and not too
> > expensive (I'm 74 and on Social Security and a small pension).They live
> > with my wife and me.
> >
> > Although I have diabetes and mostly eat dark rye now, when I made
> > sourdough, I could easily eat a loaf a day. Now, I could at least taste
> > what she makes.

Hi Granby,

Thanks very much. I ended up buying her a Cuisinart CBK-100. Under $100 and
I think it'll be a good way for her to start. They have some simple
starting recipes and I've gotten more here. I might try a mix for a
low-carb bread for ME! Good idea. °~)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

You had said she hadn't used one before and I know I got nervous when it
would start and then go again and then nothing for a long time. Just gives
an idea with a mix of how it should work. With a family that size, I doubt
she will want to use mixes all the time!
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Granby" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>> I saw you ask for a recipe from someone. You might want to use a mix
>> first so she can see how it mixes, lets rise, then bakes. There are a
>> lot of good recipes from folks here, don't ever hesitate to ask a
>> question. My friend and I are blind and have asked for more detailed
>> stuff than a low of people would and these people have been willing to
>> answer and help in any way they can.

>> > My daughter buys a lot of bread, mostly whole grain, for herself, hubby
>> > and 3, 5 and 7 year olds. I'd like to buy her a bread machine. Easy to
>> > make good bread (and maybe other stuff) with, easy to clean and not too
>> > expensive (I'm 74 and on Social Security and a small pension).They live
>> > with my wife and me.
>> >
>> > Although I have diabetes and mostly eat dark rye now, when I made
>> > sourdough, I could easily eat a loaf a day. Now, I could at least taste
>> > what she makes.

> Hi Granby,
>
> Thanks very much. I ended up buying her a Cuisinart CBK-100. Under $100
> and
> I think it'll be a good way for her to start. They have some simple
> starting recipes and I've gotten more here. I might try a mix for a
> low-carb bread for ME! Good idea. °~)
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

"Granby" > wrote:
> You had said she hadn't used one before and I know I got nervous when it
> would start and then go again and then nothing for a long time. Just
> gives an idea with a mix of how it should work. With a family that size,
> I doubt she will want to use mixes all the time!

Hi Granby,

Although she's made other pastries, she's never even made bread before!
I'll warn her about the on-again off-again nature of the beast. Thanks.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

recipe please/I love mustard, Lee
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> [...]

> 10cent honey
> 0cent salt (Sorry, too small an amount to calculate)
> 3cent yeast
> -------
> 59cents ingredients- 2lb loaf. One of my *most* expensive ones
> 20cents electric- very rough estimate, probably 10cents reality
>
> Get the picture? Grin, yup. Now, I have seen dijon mustard bread at the
> store, and it's usually a 1 lb loaf for $4.99. It's also not as good as
> my own and you don't get the fun of smelling it baking.
>
> Here's the one downside and I left the rec.food.sourdough group in as they
> may have better answers. Breadmachines do a fine light rye or
> pumpernickle but they arent optimal for sourdoughs. It 'can be done' but
> isn't a native process for it. What you can do is knead the dough in the
> machine though by loading a standard mix for a sourdough and let it do

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

so you can take a recipe and put in the times for kneading, rise and all
tat, hhmmm gotta get tha manual from my sister, Lee
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Brian Mailman" wrote
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>> This is just the "everyday" bread we use around here for morning toast.
>> Nothing artisanal. Goes kinda like this:
>>
>> 2-1/2 cups bread flour
>> 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
>> 1/3 cup oatmeal
>> 1/4 cup starter
>> 1 cup water minus a couple tbsp.
>> 1 tsp. salt
>> 2 tbsp. margarine
>>
>> Put it on the dough cycle. Pour it out (it will be loose and check about
>> 8 minutes into the "knead" period if it's too wet add a couple tbsp of
>> oatmeal to sop it up) and into a greased bread pan. Bake at 400 for 35
>> minutes.
>>

> Oh I am SO happy you posted that! I may have to join the
> rec.food.sourdough group to ask how to make a starter properly. It's not
> a really 'native' thing for a breadmachine but as I said elsewhere, should
> be possible to at least do the 'dough' portion in the machine.
>
> I can do a special setup for the sourdough with my breadman ultimate
> machine. I can even specialize how long to knead, how long to rise
> between, and the temp and time of cooking. I can once tested, then enter
> those to be saved and name them for next use. (I forget but it's either
> 200 special or 1,000 special you can save but I'd never need more than 10
> or so and currently only have 1).
>
> Don't laugh to hard at my shenannigans to avoid kneading ;-)
>
> I have 'DDD' (back problems) which affects my arms and lower back
> complicated by a few other nasties so rather than moan and groan about it,
> I find *solutions* to do what I need. A bread machine is one of them.
> Sadly, at some times even greasing the pan or leaning over to put
> something in the oven isn't a workable thing for me but most of the time I
> can do that. (Navy kept me on with a shore duty my last 18 months or
> otherwise it would have been forced medical retirement at 24.5 years).
>
> Some wonderful people here in the alt.bread.recipes have come up with
> ideas on possible ways to work bread without a machine for one like me and
> on a good day, some may actually work! I have to clean a counter off so I
> can try them but have an interesting one saved. It uses a 'folding
> technique' instead of a kneading one.
>
> Carol

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

Default Mustard Breads

"Stormmee" wrote
> recipe please/I love mustard, Lee

Darn, ya would ask that just after I've forgotten which recipe I made then!

Grin, no matter. Here's a few I have in stock in MM and cant recall now if
i used a book or MM for the recipe.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Cheddar Onion Pepper Bread
Categories: Xxcarol, Breadmaker
Yield: 8 Servings

1 1/4 c Milk
1 tb Butter
1 tb Sugar
1 ts Salt
1/8 ts Shichimi (can use paprika)
1/8 ts Dry mustard powder
3 1/2 c Flour, white breadmakers
3/4 c Grated cheddar cheese
1/4 c Grated red onion
2 ts Yeast
1 ts Black pepper

SkyHigh bread! Add the ingredients listed and set to 'french' if you
have that setting. Otherwise, 'normal' will do.

Shichimi is a very common Japanese spice mix of hot chile powders.
You can use a powdered paprika or a hotter powdered chile for nearly
the same effect.

This one was made to go with a pot of potato soup, of a german base
where the potato melts away into the soup and there are minimal bits
of carrot and cabbage about.

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol, 26DEC2003

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Dijon-Thyme Bread
Categories: Breadmaker, Breads
Yield: 12 Servings

1 c Water
3 tb Dijon Mustard
1 tb Vegetable Oil
3 c Bread Flour
2 tb Sugar
3/4 ts Salt
1 ts Dried Thyme; Leaves
2 ts Yeast

Measure carefully, placing all ingredients in bread machine pan in
the order recommended by the manufacturer.

Select Basic/White cycle. Use Medium or Light Crust Color. Remove
baked bread from pan and coll on rack.

>From: (Reid J. Furniss) From: Bread-Bakers

Archives: ftp.best.com/pub/reggie/archives/bread/recipe

Recipe By : Betty Crocker's Bread Machine Cookbook NOTES
: 1 1/2-Pound loaf recipe

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Honey-Mustard Bread
Categories: Breadmaker
Yield: 1 Loaf

BETTIE COOPER (VGXB82A)
1 1/2 c Bread flour
3/4 c Wheat flour
1 tb Dry milk
3 tb Honey
1 Bouillon cube; crushed
2 tb Dijon mustard
1 tb Vinegar; added to
-Water to make 3/4 cup
2 ts Active dry yeast

Put ingredients into breadmaker oven as your maker's instructions
specify. In the Panasonic, the liquid goes in last and the yeast goes
into the yeast dispenser. I bake this recipe on whole wheat rapid
mode, and I think it would do equally well on regular cycles. It has
a nice "chew" to the bread and makes great sandwich bread!

Hope you enjoy! Bettie, DFW, TX 05/16 01:28 pm Formatted by Elaine
Radis

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Mustard Rye Bread
Categories: Breadmaker
Yield: 1 Servings

1 1/2 c Water
1 1/3 tb Oil
2 Eggs
2 tb Honey
1/4 c Mustard [ your choice of typ
2/3 ts Salt
1 tb Caraway seed
1 c Medium rye flour
2 tb Gluten
4 c Whole wheat flour
2 1/2 ts Yeast

follow machine directions.

MMMMM

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

I am not going to work tomorrow, I know what I will be making.
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> [...]

> Title: Honey-Mustard Bread
> Categories: Breadmaker
> Yield: 1 Loaf
>
> BETTIE COOPER (VGXB82A)
> 1 1/2 c Bread flour
> 3/4 c Wheat flour
> 1 tb Dry milk
> 3 tb Honey
> 1 Bouillon cube; crushed
> 2 tb Dijon mustard
> 1 tb Vinegar; added to
> -Water to make 3/4 cup
> 2 ts Active dry yeast
>
> Put ingredients into breadmaker oven as your maker's instructions
> specify. In the Panasonic, the liquid goes in last and the yeast goes
> into the yeast dispenser. I bake this recipe on whole wheat rapid
> mode, and I think it would do equally well on regular cycles. It has
> a nice "chew" to the bread and makes great sandwich bread!
>
> Hope you enjoy! Bettie, DFW, TX 05/16 01:28 pm Formatted by Elaine

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.sourdough

thanks... and now that i got the caps lock off i might be more readable...
screen reader seems to need an adjustment i can't readily find... it will be
found eventually, Lee