Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default New Mixer

A number of years ago I stripped the gears our of a K5A Kitchen Aid mixer
while kneading some Rye bread dough. I have been super cautious since then.

I just found on Craig's List an A-200 Hobart 20 qt. monster at a price that
I couldn't pass up. However, it didn't come with a dough hook. There are
two types of dough hook for this mixer. One is built like a C and is just a
bigger version of what I have for my Kitchen Aid. The other is called a
spiral hook and as the name implies looks sort of like a stretched out cork
screw.

Has anyone used one of these spiral hooks and where are they better/worse
than the traditional C?

Thanks
Paul Gilbert

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:04:43 -0600, "Paul Gilbert"
> wrote:

>A number of years ago I stripped the gears our of a K5A Kitchen Aid mixer
>while kneading some Rye bread dough. I have been super cautious since then.
>
>I just found on Craig's List an A-200 Hobart 20 qt. monster at a price that
>I couldn't pass up. However, it didn't come with a dough hook. There are
>two types of dough hook for this mixer. One is built like a C and is just a
>bigger version of what I have for my Kitchen Aid. The other is called a
>spiral hook and as the name implies looks sort of like a stretched out cork
>screw.
>
>Has anyone used one of these spiral hooks and where are they better/worse
>than the traditional C?
>
>Thanks
>Paul Gilbert

Hi Paul,

I have that mixer...

The "C" hook is used only with the smaller bowl (I believe
12 quart), and the "Spiral" hook with the 20 quart bowl.

So, if you will be using both bowls, you will need both
hooks, and don't have the choice of which to use with each
bowl.

Enjoy the mixer!
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

In article >,
says...
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:04:43 -0600, "Paul Gilbert"
> > wrote:
>
> >A number of years ago I stripped the gears our of a K5A Kitchen Aid mixer
> >while kneading some Rye bread dough. I have been super cautious since then.
> >
> >I just found on Craig's List an A-200 Hobart 20 qt. monster at a price that
> >I couldn't pass up. However, it didn't come with a dough hook. There are
> >two types of dough hook for this mixer. One is built like a C and is just a
> >bigger version of what I have for my Kitchen Aid. The other is called a
> >spiral hook and as the name implies looks sort of like a stretched out cork
> >screw.
> >
> >Has anyone used one of these spiral hooks and where are they better/worse
> >than the traditional C?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Paul Gilbert
> >

> Hi Paul,
>
> I have that mixer...
>
> The "C" hook is used only with the smaller bowl (I believe
> 12 quart), and the "Spiral" hook with the 20 quart bowl.
>
> So, if you will be using both bowls, you will need both
> hooks, and don't have the choice of which to use with each
> bowl.
>
> Enjoy the mixer!

I also scored a Hobart 20 qt (really old vintage). It came with a dough
hook that was the KA style. I do have both a 20 & a 12qt bowl and
bearing in mind an old model the dough hook does not fit into the 12 qt
bowl (makes a lot of noise as it hits the side).
I think the spiral was introduced by Hobart to counter the european
commercial mixers that are spiral rather than Hooks.

The Italian baker I trailed last year had 2 spiral mixers they seemed to
knead a little more efficiently. I have a recipe book, that he gave me,
that seems to say a plantetary J takes longer to knead than the spirals
- At least what my bad translation from Italian to English indicates.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Nov 16, 2:04*pm, "Paul Gilbert" > wrote:
> A number of years ago I stripped the gears our of a K5A Kitchen Aid mixer
> while kneading some Rye bread dough. *I have been super cautious since then.
>
> I just found on Craig's List an A-200 Hobart 20 qt. monster at a price that
> I couldn't pass up. *However, it didn't come with a dough hook. *There are
> two types of dough hook for this mixer. *One is built like a C and is just a
> bigger version of what I have for my Kitchen Aid. *The other is called a
> spiral hook and as the name implies looks sort of like a stretched out cork
> screw.
>
> Has anyone used one of these spiral hooks and where are they better/worse
> than the traditional C?
>
> Thanks
> Paul Gilbert

I just joined this usenet group and saw your post here. Thought I
might give a tiny bit of info. Having been a bread baker these past
40+ years professionally and recreationally:-) I've had the
opportunity to use many Hobarts. I find the spiral hook to be more
proficient at kneading dough in that it has more contact points with
the bowl then the C hook. I don't know how many points exactly but I'd
guess at least 75+ CP. Having ruined my wrists and elbows after years
of hand kneading I'm all for a more efficient hook! You probably
already know this by now but just thot I'd put my 3cents in.
bredbakker p.s. I'm looking for info on how to get my puter to
translate a German breadbaking website into English or French. If
anyone knows how this is done please let me know. TIA.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

bredbakker wrote:

> p.s. I'm looking for info on how to get my puter to
> translate a German breadbaking website into English or French. If
> anyone knows how this is done please let me know. TIA.

Have you tried http://babelfish.altavista.com ?
Or http://www.online-translator.com/Default.aspx/Site

I use the latter for Russian/English, but you can select your from/to
languages. No machine translation is "good", but they get the point, for
the most part.

Dave

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message ...
> bredbakker wrote:
>
> > p.s. I'm looking for info on how to get my puter to
> > translate a German breadbaking website into English or French. If
> > anyone knows how this is done please let me know. TIA.

> Have you tried http://babelfish.altavista.com ?
> Or http://www.online-translator.com/Default.aspx/Site
>
> I use the latter for Russian/English, but you can select your from/to
> languages. No machine translation is "good", but they get the point, for
> the most part.

If you do that, and are not familiar with the starting language, you do well to sit
down with a language dictionary and clean up the result, unless, of course,
you do not care how stupid it looks. Raw babblefish-type translations do
not belong on websites or newsgroups.

If it is to be from German to English, you could get some help from Samartha.
He is good at that, but sometimes he gets emotional.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Dave Bell" > wrote in message ...
>> bredbakker wrote:
>>
>>> p.s. I'm looking for info on how to get my puter to
>>> translate a German breadbaking website into English or French. If
>>> anyone knows how this is done please let me know. TIA.

>> Have you tried http://babelfish.altavista.com ?
>> Or http://www.online-translator.com/Default.aspx/Site
>>
>> I use the latter for Russian/English, but you can select your from/to
>> languages. No machine translation is "good", but they get the point, for
>> the most part.

> If you do that, and are not familiar with the starting language, you do well to sit
> down with a language dictionary and clean up the result, unless, of course,
> you do not care how stupid it looks. Raw babblefish-type translations do
> not belong on websites or newsgroups.

Of course, but I assumed the OP was looking for a translation for
personal use. For that, it's usually good enough.

> If it is to be from German to English, you could get some help from Samartha.
> He is good at that, but sometimes he gets emotional.

Sometimes?

Mixer Shana's Sweets Cooking Equipment 1 29-05-2011 09:04 PM
My next mixer. ImStillMags General Cooking 17 20-05-2011 08:11 PM
mixer thekitchen-aide Cooking Equipment 1 09-03-2011 06:50 PM
Mixer (here we go again) gloria.p General Cooking 23 11-08-2010 06:13 PM
Mixer Terry M Sourdough 6 22-12-2003 08:45 PM